PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Patagonia

Isola2000
10-25-09, 08:42
Does anyone have any info on the best way to visit Patagonia?

Tr Tuga
10-26-09, 13:30
Hi.

I have been to Patagonia on several occasions, but to answer your question I need to know where you want to go and what you want to see.

The places that I have visited are, Puerto Madryn, Trelew, Peninsula Valdes, El Calafate region.

To those places I recommend flying but its possible to go by bus or rental car.

I loved it very much, the nature and animallife is just awsome and some of it the best in the world.

Let me hear from you.

Tr Tuga

Isola2000
10-27-09, 07:16
Thanks very much for you input. Most important is to experience the nature and maybe do some fishing. What is the best city to fly to?

Damman
10-27-09, 10:31
Bariloche area worked for me. Kind of touristy, but get out of town and I thought it had a lot to offer. High Sierra lakes / streams.

http://www.welcomeargentina.com/bariloche/index_i.html

Isola2000
10-27-09, 16:02
Thanks for your input.

Speciallly thanks to you Dammann, but to which airport?

Isola2000
10-27-09, 16:35
A very nice alpine hamlet with some of Bariloche's features. I drove there from Mendosa. On the long drive to San Martin, then East to Nequen and Bahia Blanca, it was extremely, barren, no people, boring, etc. Not recommended!How can you end this with "Not recommended"?

Damman
10-27-09, 17:30
which airport?San Carlos DeBariloche, Argentina: (BRC)

http://www.kayak.com/r/KGaiug

Tr Tuga
10-28-09, 20:01
Hi There.

I went fly fishing in El Calafate with a private guide and a jeep for a day, it was a very good experince. I cought 4 wild rainbowtrouts in one day of fishing alone in the wilderness, not any person in sight except for me and my guide.

Tr tuga

Isola2000
10-29-09, 09:03
Thanks everyone that has given me info on Patagonia. I am not quite sure it is worth the effort and time to go there after input I had from you all. It is not comparable to the top US natural experiences and spending a lot of time in Isola2000, closest high mountain resort to Nice and Cannes I think we leave Patagonia. Live in Rio now with my brasilian wife and she likes to visit BA once a year for dirt cheap shopping. I hate ave Florida and Microcentro so if its not Patagonia I guess its Mar del Plata again.

Schmoj
10-29-09, 12:03
Isola,

I didn't read this thread, but don't listen to anyone that tells you it isn't comparable to the "top" US natural experiences. I've been through most of the Rockies from El Paso to Alaska and southern Argentina / Chile is as impressive if not more.

El Calafate / El Chalten is amazing. El Calafate is a bit sterile because it is so touristy, but it has the most accessible glaciers in the world. In El Chalten, you can hike for days.

Ushuaia, is beautiful and there are beautiful lakes in the area if you can rent a car.

What I would recommend you not do is traverse Ruta 40 from north to south. If you are driving, I would recommend passing through the Andes from Argentina to Chile if you can. There are some beautiful routes.

It is MUCH better than MDP, especially if you have already been there.

If you are interested, I can send you more specific information.

Thanks everyone that has given me info on Patagonia. I am not quite sure it is worth the effort and time to go there after input I had from you all. It is not comparable to the top US natural experiences and spending a lot of time in Isola2000, closest high mountain resort to Nice and Cannes I think we leave Patagonia. Live in Rio now with my brasilian wife and she likes to visit BA once a year for dirt cheap shopping. I hate ave Florida and Microcentro so if its not Patagonia I guess its Mar del Plata again.

Isola2000
10-29-09, 14:57
Agree Sid. MdP is a real shitty place. Last time stayed in the Alem area which is better than central MdP. Madahos has an offshot which is ok on Thu-Fri. All other girlplaces are shit. For beaches it is better to go to Punta del Este, but chica life is zero.