PDA

View Full Version : Tipping maid / porteros

Tika Taka
12-07-09, 00:12
Hi there,

I tried searching the forums for a designated tipping thread without success.

Am I supposed to tip the maid and the porteros in my building now that it's Christmas? If so, how much do I tip them?

It's a fairly nice place with doormen "guarding" the front door 24/7 and the maid comes around once a week. I have no complaints about their work at all.

I'm from a country where tipping is almost non-existant so I have no clue as to what I should do here in BsAs.

It seems as if tipping in general depends on personal opinions, but if some of the guys living here full-time could give me some pointers on what the normal thing to do is that'd be great.

Gato Hunter
12-07-09, 13:43
I gave my portero a 20 peso bottle of wine from the grocery store and told him not to let chicas leave without me.

Worked good for me but YMMV.

Cheers!

Kevins
12-07-09, 21:47
Both the maid and the Porter of your building do expect something from you around xmas.

For my maid of the last 15 years here I usually give here as a xmas gift one months salary. These days she comes every Monday does everything clean, iron, cook a little for about 380 pesos a month.

The porter when I was in an apartment I usually give around 50 US as I find a friendly porter absolutely indespensible in this place. If you have various split it up between them or let the others know who you gave to.

This has worked for me here.