PDA

View Full Version : Argentina Entrance Fee To Go Into Effect

Ghostrecon
12-25-09, 13:08
Argentina has started to impose and entry fee of $131 US for Americans entering through the EZE airport. It's $100 US for Austrailians and $70 for Canadians. This fee is good for 10 years. They are doing this to reciprocate what these countries charge Argentinians to visit these countries. "Eye for an eye." You can read all about it here:

http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/argentina-entrance-fee-reciprocity

This started on Dec. 20th - just missed it by 6 days!

Rev BS
12-25-09, 13:25
As stated, it will be collected only at EZE. So if you enter through Iguazu, or if arrival in Buenos Aires is via a cruise ship, there should be no fees. Correct?

Ghostrecon
12-25-09, 14:08
Yes, that is correct.

Tmontana
12-25-09, 14:39
Well - as a Canadian who loves going to Argentina I'll pay it knowing that it pays someone somewhere hopefully their salary for a day or two and hopefully is not wasted on some government largesse.

Schmoj
12-25-09, 14:53
and hopefully is not wasted on some government largesse.You can be 100% sure that is exactly where it is going.

Slamcity
12-25-09, 16:01
So when you pay you're covered for 10 years? It's not a charge EVERY time?

Well that's good news!

Exon123
12-25-09, 16:52
The CockSuckers.

Exon

Johnny Paradis
12-25-09, 23:33
Who cares? I get to do plenty of hotties in BA cheaply.

El Queso
12-26-09, 13:42
It was supposed to happen either earlier in the year or late last year originally.

Then it was supposed to go into effect Dec. 20 this year.

Last I heard it was put off until sometime in January.

I'll believe it's really going to happen when I hear somone actually paid it.

Schmoj
12-26-09, 14:58
It was supposed to happen either earlier in the year or late last year originally.

Then it was supposed to go into effect Dec. 20 this year.

Last I heard it was put off until sometime in January.

I'll believe it's really going to happen when I hear somone actually paid it.What I want to know is WHERE they are going to do it. Immigration is already a clusterfuck. Adding more beurocrats and lines to pay the fee is going to make it much worse.

For those of you that can, but have not gotten your residency / DNI, this alone is a good reason to do it. You get to pass through the "native" lane.

Cheers

MataHari
12-27-09, 00:54
It will take effect tomorrow.

Will be charged only at Eizeza.

Will be valid for 10 years.

Ghostrecon
12-27-09, 08:34
I arrived on the Dec. 26 at EZE and it had not gone into effect. I was told it would be sometime in January also. I'm thankful I just missed it!

Facundo
12-27-09, 12:29
I arrived on the Dec. 26 at EZE and it had not gone into effect. I was told it would be sometime in January also. I'm thankful I just missed it!According to the posting on the Argentina Departament of Immigration internet site the reciprocal visa fee will be collected on 12/28/2009 at the Ezeisa Airport. The announcement is in English and Spanish:

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/

This is the original document stating the collection of the visa fee, those who have to pay the fee, and USA, Australian, and Canadian citizens excluded from paying because they have established permanent or temporary residency in Argentina.
Document is in Spanish:

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/pantalla_principal/informacion_interes/imagenes/disposicion_2761.pdf

Rock Harders
12-27-09, 16:10
Mongers,

I arrived this morning at EZE and there were about half a dozen new booths cashier booths in the Migraciones hall located to the side and before the old booths where the Migraciones agents work. They had the Visa / Mastercard sticker in the window and are obviously intended to be used to collect this fee. Fortunately, there was nobody manning those booths so I did not pay any fees but this fee is for real and will be implemented sooner rather than later so be prepared.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Exon123
12-27-09, 18:00
CockSuckers.

Exon

SmokersRule
12-28-09, 10:37
Arrived this morning. They've started to charge the fee. You go to the left as you enter customs, pay the fee, then go to customs. I was the agent's first "customer." There were a lot of upset / surprised passengers.

Schmoj
12-28-09, 14:45
Arrived this morning. They've started to charge the fee. You go to the left as you enter customs, pay the fee, then go to customs. I was the agent's first "customer." There were a lot of upset / surprised passengers.Do you mean customs or immigration?

Sportsman
12-28-09, 15:46
Since the fee is for good ten years, how do they document the fact you have paid the fee for subsequent trips? Do they stamp the passport, which might not be valid for next ten years? Or a receipt that one must bring back on every trip from now on?

Seaman
12-28-09, 15:48
As far as I know it is valid for as long as the passport is valid for, with a max of 10 yrs.

Sportsman
12-28-09, 15:57
As far as I know it is valid for as long as the passport is valid for, with a max of 10 yrs.So it goes by a stamp on the passport. That makes sense. Perfect timing for me as I'll be getting a new passport before my next trip.

Or they can make it works like Brazilian Visa, their visa is valid even the passport has expired. Visitors just have to bring both expired and current passports at entry.

El Perro
12-28-09, 16:07
So it goes by a stamp on the passport. That makes sense. Perfect timing for me as I'll be getting a new passport before my next trip.

Or they make it works like Brazilian Visa, their visa is valid even the passport has expired. Visitors just have to bring both expired and current passports at entry.In Chile they staple a receipt to the last page of your passport. Maybe they will do the same in Argentina.

SmokersRule
12-28-09, 16:24
First of all, this happens before immigration. Sorry for being unclear.

Yes, Chile staples a receipt to your passport. I didn't like this because I'm uncomfortable with things hanging from my passport. They kind of do it like Brazil. They have an adhesive sticker that takes up an entire passport page. They put it in the back of your passport.

In Chile they staple a receipt to the last page of your passport. Maybe they will do the same in Argentina.

Sportsman
12-28-09, 21:35
They have an adhesive sticker that takes up an entire passport page. They put it in the back of your passport.Does the sticker have an expiration date on it? If so, does it say expires in 10 years or the life of the passport?

SmokersRule
12-28-09, 21:45
The sticker has an expiration date on it. They write the date you got it and the date it expires. It also has a barcode that immigration scanned before sending me through.

Facundo
12-28-09, 23:42
The sticker has an expiration date on it. They write the date you got it and the date it expires. It also has a barcode that immigration scanned before sending me through.The length and the validity of the visa payment for Canadians, Australians, and Americans are spelled out on page 8 of the adopted regulations regarding visa fees:

For Canadians the payment is valid for one entry and the visa is renewable for 90 days only one time.

For Australians the visa payment is valid for one entry and the visa is renewable for 90 days only one time.

For Americans the visa is valid for multiple entries during a period of 10 years and renewable for 90 days only one time.

I think I've interperted the original document correctly, however I strongly recommend others who can read Spanish to take a look at page 8 of the link below:

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/panta...sicion_2761.pdf

Master J
12-29-09, 03:22
I imagine most of us who travel to BA solo relate to this as perhaps a slight nuisance, but I had a friend travel there at the start of a cruise with his wife and 2 kids in August.

So for him he would have woke up to a nice $500 + smack in the face.

I am sure this will greatly encourage new travelers to the city.

El Perro
12-29-09, 12:38
For Americans the visa is valid for multiple entries during a period of 10 years and renewable for 90 days only one time.Does this mean what I think it means? A possible death knell for those of us skating our way by here for years without any sort of residency papers?

"Renewable for 90 days only one time" sounds bad to me. I suppose only a matter of time before Argentina joined the rest of the world. The ability to renew tourist visas here every 90 days "forever" was / is a rarity. You can search quite awhile, I think, and not find many countries with a similar policy.

Facundo
12-29-09, 13:51
For Americans the visa is valid for multiple entries during a period of 10 years and renewable for 90 days only one time.Does this mean what I think it means? A possible death knell for those of us skating our way by here for years without any sort of residency papers?

"Renewable for 90 days only one time" sounds bad to me. I suppose only a matter of time before Argentina joined the rest of the world. The ability to renew tourist visas here every 90 days "forever" was / is a rarity. You can search quite awhile, I think, and not find many countries with a similar policy.I think it does present potential problems in the future. My interpertation is that eventually tourists can stay in the country for a total of 6 months per year. However, this is an inefficient country and the possibility exist that they won't enforce the regulation. But, then again, I did read on this site that a few people making their 90 day run to Colonia were told to get their residency because they cannot continue to renew without limits.

Suerte

El Perro
12-29-09, 14:40
I think it does present potential problems in the future. My interpertation is that eventually tourists can stay in the country for a total of 6 months per year. However, this is an inefficient country and the possibility exist that they won't enforce the regulation. But, then again, I did read on this site that a few people making their 90 day run to Colonia were told to get their residency because they cannot continue to renew without limits.

SuerteThanks for the feedback Facundo. It's looking a little like the Brazil rules and regs, though let's see how it plays out. They've changed their minds before about these kind of changes, but my intuition tells me that they probably are moving towards an ironclad policy a la Brazil. A big pain in the ass for some of us. I would think the US Embassy would send out their interpretation pretty soon. As my current 90 days expire in late February, I'll need to find out if I have 90 more days after that, or whether late February is the bewitching hour and I turn into an unwanted gringo pumpkin.

Facundo
12-29-09, 15:01
[QUOTE=Facundo]Thanks for the feedback Facundo. It's looking a little like the Brazil rules and regs, though let's see how it plays out. They've changed their minds before about these kind of changes, but my intuition tells me that they probably are moving towards an ironclad policy a la Brazil. A big pain in the ass for some of us. I would think the US Embassy would send out their interpretation pretty soon. As my current 90 days expire in late February, I'll need to find out if I have 90 more days after that, or whether late February is the bewitching hour and I turn into an unwanted gringo pumpkin.Given that the rules only went into effect a few days ago (December 28) you shouldn't have a problem renewing for an additional 90 days. I don't believe they are going to look at renewals or stays before the visa fee implementation date.

Reading the document establishing the visa fees it appears they took a page from the Brazilian visa regs.

Btw, just to be on the safe side, if I were you I would renew at the Department of Immigration in Retiro. If there are any problems with the renewal you will still be in the country and not at some border crossing.

I'll do a separate post later on the use of my temporary DNI (it will be permanent in August of 2010) to go in and out of Brazil and Chile. I'm currently in Chile and had no problem entering with my temporary DNI.

Schmoj
12-29-09, 15:31
[QUOTE=Doggboy]

I'll do a separate post later on the use of my temporary DNI (it will be permanent in August of 2010) to go in and out of Brazil and Chile. I'm currently in Chile and had no problem entering with my temporary DNI.Facundo,

I think you mentioned before that you have a European passport, no? That is probably why you were able to enter Chile using a temp DNI. Having a DNI doesn't exempt you from the reciprocity fee if you are national of a country that has to pay.

I had the same problem when with Brazil, though I have heard stories of US citizens being able to travel to Brazil using a DNI without the visa.

One thing in the document you sent, it specifically states that temporary / permanent residents who live in a Mercosur country are exempt from paying the fee. At least Argentina is less strict in that sense.

El Queso
12-29-09, 16:47
Having a DNI doesn't exempt you from the reciprocity fee if you are national of a country that has to pay.Not according to my immigration lawyer, to whom I just met with yesterday. If you have a DNI, you don't have to show a passport to enter the country and you are exempt from the reciprocity fees. In fact, I understood from him that if you have residency you don't have to either (I. E. I haven't yet received the DNI but have residency)

His understanding of much of these issues is that the government is trying to crack down on perma-tourists and get them to get DNIs and residency.

El Queso
12-29-09, 16:53
BTW - another thing to consider is that it has always been the law here that tourist visas are only good for 90 days, with renewals only up to 180 days / six months per year. It has been up to immigration officials to uphold that law or not.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are posturing now to get the reciprocity fees going and before long things will go back to normal as far as letting people renew the visas indefinitely, although who knows.

I have an appointment Monday with my lawyer to make the official application for residency. I don't want to take any chances.

Schmoj
12-29-09, 17:08
Not according to my immigration lawyer, to whom I just met with yesterday. If you have a DNI, you don't have to show a passport to enter the country and you are exempt from the reciprocity fees. In fact, I understood from him that if you have residency you don't have to either (I. E. Haven't yet received the DNI but have residency)

His understanding of much of these issues is that the government is trying to crack down on perma-tourists and get them to get DNIs and residency.I was talking about Chile here. You cannot enter Chile with a temporary Argentine DNI if you are a national of a country that requires a reciprocity fee. At least that's how things were last year. Maybe things have changed in that last year or so.

El Perro
12-29-09, 17:28
BTW - another thing to consider is that it has always been the law here that tourist visas are only good for 90 days, with renewals only up to 180 days / six months per year. It has been up to immigration officials to uphold that law or not.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are posturing now to get the reciprocity fees going and before long things will go back to normal as far as letting people renew the visas indefinitely, although who knows.

I have an appointment Monday with my lawyer to make the official application for residency. I don't want to take any chances.I was unaware of the 180 days / six months law. Well, as usual, there may be some wiggle room, but it certainly seems to be something that you could not count on as pretty much a sure thing, as had been the case up til now. I definitely wouldn't want to face an immediate "kick out" at the whim of some bureaucratic toadie having a shitty day. El Queso-I hope you are right about the posturing, but I get the feeling this might be some of Cristina's ambition to be more like Brazil and Chile vis a vis the same kind of reciprocity and visa regs. Also, there doesn't seem to be the same outpouring of grief and consternation from the local real estate impresarios as there was a year or so back when the reciprocity thing was floated by the gobierno.

Facundo
12-29-09, 18:07
[QUOTE=Facundo]Facundo, I think you mentioned before that you have a European passport, no? That is probably why you were able to enter Chile using a temp DNI. Having a DNI doesn't exempt you from the reciprocity fee if you are national of a country that has to pay.

I had the same problem when with Brazil, though I have heard stories of US citizens being able to travel to Brazil using a DNI without the visa.

One thing in the document you sent, it specifically states that temporary / permanent residents who live in a Mercosur country are exempt from paying the fee. At least Argentina is less strict in that sense.I do have an European passport but I also have an American as well. When I entered Brazil and chile I intentionally placed my American passport on the counter after I gave them my DNI and asked them if they needed to see my American passport, they declined.

The rules changed at the beginning of the year. I did post the document that specifically stated that you can travel to Mercosur countries using the temporary / permanent DNI. I'll see if I can locate it and post it again.

Queso, I'm not sure if you can travel in and out of the country using only the letter of residency. I recall when I traveled using the letter of residency I had to show them my passport. We'll wait to see what your attorney thinks.

Rockin Bob
12-29-09, 19:13
I was unaware of the 180 days / six months law. Well, as usual, there may be some wiggle room, but it certainly seems to be something that you could not count on as pretty much a sure thing, as had been the case up til now. I definitely wouldn't want to face an immediate "kick out" at the whim of some bureaucratic toadie having a shitty day. El Queso-I hope you are right about the posturing, but I get the feeling this might be some of Cristina's ambition to be more like Brazil and Chile vis a vis the same kind of reciprocity and visa regs. Also, there doesn't seem to be the same outpouring of grief and consternation from the local real estate impresarios as there was a year or so back when the reciprocity thing was floated by the gobierno.I might be wrong, but my impression was that Chile, Uruguay, and our beloved Patria didn't care about how long you stayed, just do something every 90 days to show you're alive and todo bien.

Still, when you think that there are a lot of Americans here, you have to think, what's up with the tax.

My take is that they will continue to not care about how long you stay here, they'll just grab the extra bucks for the privilege.

Conchuir
12-29-09, 20:46
I'm travelling to BA in Jan. I'm in posession of both EU and USA Passports. Is there a way for me to avoid the entrance fee without having a problem with US immigration when I return Stateside?

Schmoj
12-29-09, 20:53
[QUOTE=Schmoj]I do have an European passport but I also have an American as well. When I entered Brazil and chile I intentionally placed my American passport on the counter after I gave them my DNI and asked them if they needed to see my American passport, they declined. Good to know! The only reason that I haven't flow off to Rio for a weekend is because I haven't gotten around to getting the visa.

Silver Star
12-30-09, 11:36
Do you mean customs or immigration?How long was the line (delay) in paying the stupid new fee? I pick people up at the airport, and was wondering how much extra time this took.

If they wanted true tit for tat Argentina should waive the exit tax, as the US does not levy that.

Thanks!

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Jackson
12-30-09, 13:35
If they wanted true tit for tat Argentina should waive the exit tax, as the US does not levy that.It's not a exit fee for leaving the country. It's an airport fee which is charged only to passengers who are departing Ezeiza Airport and which is intended to be used to pay off the bonds for the new terminal at said airport.

This "Passenger Facility Fee" was initiated when the new terminal was opened, and is charged only at Ezeiza Airport and not at any other facility in Argentina.

Many airports in the USA and around the world charge similar "passenger fees" to finance facility improvements, although the fee is almost always buried in the ticket price.

Thanks,

Jackson

Sportsman
06-22-10, 20:41
US government has increased the fee for Argentine applying for visa to enter the US from $131 to $140. So Argentina supposedly has increased the reciprocal fee accordingly.

Read about it here:

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/BreakingNews/View/35422

http://infoleg.mecon.gov.ar/infolegInternet/anexos/165000-169999/168092/norma.htm

It is also listed in US State Department Foreign Travel Entry Requirement website for Argentina:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1130.html

Has anyone experienced that?

Exon123
06-23-10, 13:09
I got in on the old visa recently, which was $131 and they asked no questions.

Exon

Jabone
06-25-10, 12:16
Coming into immigration you now have a sign directing people from the USA and a couple of other countries to another line. That leads you to a cashier who takes your money or credit card, then you go to the immigration officer. I don't see how you can avoid it.

The thing is this does not work like a airport surcharge, because then it would be charged to everyone and could just be added to the ticket price like a tax. I believe this is just a visa surcharge for certain countries that charge Argentines for applying for a visas. This all started after the USA started charging certain countries for visa applications after 9/11. The Brazil said if you charge us we are going to charge you.

Jackson
06-25-10, 13:53
I got in on the old visa recently, which was $131 and they asked no questions.

ExonExon,

With all due respect, you didn't get "in on the old visa". You were given a new visa when you re-entered the country.

The reason you didn't pay the Entry Fee again because you already paid it once, and it's good for 10 years, regardless of how much the fee was when you paid it, or how much it may be today.

Thanks,

Jackson

Jackson
06-25-10, 13:55
Coming into immigration you now have a sign directing people from the USA and a couple of other countries to another line.Jabone,

Do you remember what other countries were on on the list?

Thanks,

Jackson

Sportsman
06-25-10, 17:16
Jabone,

Do you remember what other countries were on on the list?

Thanks,

JacksonBesides US citizens, Australians pay 100 USD and Canadians pay 70 USD for each single entry, ouch.

Attached is the press release posted on Argentine Immigration website news archieve from 12/29/09.

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesos/ingles/home.php

Exon123
06-25-10, 19:29
Exon,

With all due respect, you didn't get "in on the old visa". You were given a new visa when you re-entered the country.

The reason you didn't pay the Entry Fee again because you already paid it once, and it's good for 10 years, regardless of how much the fee was when you paid it, or how much it may be today.

Thanks,

JacksonIn fact when I got off the airplane I first got into the long line for passengers that needed to buy Visa's, maybe a hundred people waiting to pay the CockSuckers.

Realizing what was happening I asked someone, "I've already got a Visa", he quickly escorted me to a line with 3 people waiting and I was threw immigration in a minute or two.

What really took the time was waiting for the bag.

Exon

Jackson
06-25-10, 22:01
In fact when I got off the airplane I first got into the long line for passengers that needed to buy Visa's, maybe a hundred people waiting to pay the CockSuckers.

Realizing what was happening I asked someone, "I've already got a Visa", he quickly escorted me to a line with 3 people waiting and I was threw immigration in a minute or two.

What really took the time was waiting for the bag.

ExonOkay, I'll try again.

Nobody "needed to buy Visa's". You don't buy visas. Visas are not for sale.

What these people did, and what you previously did, was pay the Entrance Fee, which is now a requirement that Americans must fulfil prior to being GRANTED a visa to enter the country.

No, you did not ""already got a Visa", unless you went to the Argentina Embassy in the United States and received a visa to visit Argentina from them before you got on the plane.

In fact, you did not have a visa to enter Argentina UNTIL your passport was stamped with said visa by the Argentina Immigration authorities at the airport.

Thanks,

Jackson.

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out how you went "threw" immigration.

Schmoj
06-26-10, 01:26
What really took the time was waiting for the bag.You brought your ex-wife this time?

Exon123
06-26-10, 09:46
You brought your ex-wife this time?No its was my "Crack Pipe" picked up buy the Ex-Ray machine.

Exon

Exon123
06-26-10, 09:53
Okay, I'll try again.

Nobody "needed to buy Visa's". You don't buy visas. Visas are not for sale.

What these people did, and what you previously did, was pay the Entrance Fee, which is now a requirement that Americans must fulfil prior to being GRANTED a visa to enter the country.

No, you did not "already got a Visa", unless you went to the Argentina Embassy in the United States and received a visa to visit Argentina from them before you got on the plane.

In fact, you did not have a visa to enter Argentina UNTIL your passport was stamped with said visa by the Argentina Immigration authorities at the airport.

Thanks,

Jackson.

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out how you went "threw" immigration.OK, I too will try one more time.

I'd already paid for and had the Visa glued into my Pass Port on a previous trip.

Since I had the document there was no need to wait in the long line and I breezed right "Threw" immigration.

Exon

P.S. To breeze right "Threw" immigration you must turn sideways and side step "Threw"

Rev BS
06-26-10, 13:11
OK, I too will try one more time.

I'd already paid for and had the Visa glued into my Pass Port on a previous trip.

Since I had the document there was no need to wait in the long line and I breezed right "Threw" immigration.

Exon.

P. S. To breeze right "Threw" immigration you must turn sideways and side step "Threw"You mean "through" immigration, I hope.

Jabone
06-26-10, 21:55
Canada and Australia sounds right, there were only about three countries. Now Jackson is correct you do not buy the visa, normally you get it granted at the airport. Actually technically, are properly not getting a visa you are being granted admission and are from a country that does not need a formal visa.

It sounds like Exon has a formal visa because he says 'glued to my passport'. Now I wonder if he had to pay this fee when he applied for the visa assuming my assumptions are correct :)

The fee is an entrance or application fee. So technically, you could pay and then be denied permission, but I digress.

Now, I do remember the person after me being told something about ten years when she paid her entrance fee and an internet search seems to confirm this.

My question is how are they going to check if you paid if you didn't keep the receipt. When I went to the cashier she didn't ask if I had already paid. They should give them a 'paid' stamp to stamp your passport.

Sportsman
06-26-10, 22:48
My question is how are they going to check if you paid if you didn't keep the receipt. When I went to the cashier she didn't ask if I had already paid. They should give them a 'paid' stamp to stamp your passport.Take a look at the last page of your passport. It should have a sticker showing you paid the entry fee. That is the "Visa" Exon is taking about.

So what date did you go through EZE? Did you pay $131 or $140?

Jackson
06-27-10, 00:26
Take a look at the last page of your passport. It should have a sticker showing you paid the entry fee. That is the "Visa" Exon taking about.Thank You!

Now, will somebody please tell Exon.

Thanks,

Jackson

Jabone
06-28-10, 02:27
I don't see anything on the last page of my passport?

Sportsman
06-28-10, 21:15
I don't see anything on the last page of my passport?My sticker is affixed to page 27 of my passport. Only page 28 (which is not a usable visa page) and the passport back cover follow that page. It is a white sticker that takes up the entire page. It has the full name, admission and expiration dates, nationality, passport number, and a barcode at the bottom. Ever since the entry fee went into effect, the immigration officer always went straight to that page first to look for that sticker.

Jackpot
06-28-10, 21:49
Thank you all for the posts on the current situation with the entry tax, Visa fee, whatever its to be called.

I have a DNI and permanent residency prior to the enactment of this fee. My question is have others with the same credentials paid a fee or received a special attachment to their passport upon entry or do you.

Pass thru like an Argie?

Jackpot

Jabone
06-30-10, 01:48
Yes, thanks indeed I do have that white sticker. I never imaged it would be so big (that's what she said) and never even noticed it. Thanks, now I can visit Argentina soon without worry.

Silver Star
07-01-10, 16:59
Thank you all for the posts on the current situation with the entry tax, Visa fee, whatever its to be called.

I have a DNI and permanent residency prior to the enactment of this fee. My question is have others with the same credentials paid a fee or received a special attachment to their passport upon entry or do you.

Pass thru like an Argie?

JackpotI have the same credentials as you (USA citizen and passport holder with DNI) and did not have to pay any fee, just go straight to the immigration booth, and avoid the separate line to pay the fee. Show DNI with your US passport.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

"Affordable Luxury"

Silver Star
07-01-10, 17:00
Take a look at the last page of your passport. It should have a sticker showing you paid the entry fee. That is the "Visa" Exon is taking about.

So what date did you go through EZE? Did you pay $131 or $140?Fee is now $140US.

Chica Seeker
03-05-11, 18:27
I noticed when I arrived on Monday that Canadians now have the option of paying an entry fee of $150 which is good for 5 years. On past trips I had to pay $75 per entry.

Juanxito
03-16-11, 20:45
I noticed when I arrived on Monday that Canadians now have the option of paying an entry fee of $150 which is good for 5 years. On past trips I had to pay $75 per entry.It's usually reciprocal, fees cost as much as visas / fees to the other country. Not surprisingly, for us locals a Canadian visa costs $75 for single entry and $150 for multiple entries. Multiple entries are good as long as the passport is valid, which was 5 years till last Wednesday (now it's 10 years)

Silver Star
03-16-11, 22:40
It's usually reciprocal, fees cost as much as visas / fees to the other country. Not surprisingly, for us locals a Canadian visa costs $75 for single entry and $150 for multiple entries. Multiple entries are good as long as the passport is valid, which was 5 years till last Wednesday (now it's 10 years)Any Aussies know how long the Australian šVisaš lasts for here? I also heard if you are transiting through Argentina (Many Auusies I get transit thru BsAs to Brazil) they do not collect the fee.

Cheers.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Wild Walleye
03-16-11, 22:42
Any Aussies know how long the Australian šVisaš lasts for here? I also heard if you are transiting through Argentina (Many Auusies I get transit thru BsAs to Brazil) they do not collect the fee.

Cheers.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

In Sao Paulo where you can transfer without a visa. In Sao Paolo you just follow the signs. In Bs As you probably have to figure it out own your own.

Silver Star
03-16-11, 23:07
In Sao Paulo where you can transfer without a visa. In Sao Paolo you just follow the signs. In Bs As you probably have to figure it out own your own.I get a lot of Aussies who fly in to BsAs from Sydney, stay overnight, then head to Brazil the next day / morning. I hear they still don't have direct flights from Australia to Brazil. So they can avoid the reciprocity fee by showing a plane ticket going out the next day.

Fred

Sportsman
03-17-11, 14:47
I get a lot of Aussies who fly in to BsAs from Sydney, stay overnight, then head to Brazil the next day / morning. I hear they still don't have direct flights from Australia to Brazil. So they can avoid the reciprocity fee by showing a plane ticket going out the next day.

FredAnyone can transit through EZE with a connecting flight without paying the entracne fee. But if one has to goes through immigration to exit the airpot, then the fee must be paid.

Sportsman
03-17-11, 14:49
In Sao Paulo where you can transfer without a visa. In Sao Paolo you just follow the signs. In Bs As you probably have to figure it out own your own.On international arrival flights, there is usually one airline rep to direct passenger to connecting flight in EZE.

Member #3320
03-17-11, 17:06
Anyone can transit through EZE with a connecting flight without paying the entracne fee. But if one has to goes through immigration to exit the airpot, then the fee must be paid.Exactly. Its like flying from Argentina to Asia via USA and telling USA, you do not need their visa and do not wish to pay the visa fees!

Mikap
07-19-11, 19:20
Does anybody know the answer to the following question:

The entrance fee is valid for 10 years (for US citizens). What happens when your passport expires long before that- say in 3 years. The entrance fee will still be valid with the new passport for another 7 years or you have to pay a new entrance fee whenever you change your passport.

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Argento
07-19-11, 20:18
Does anybody know the answer to the following question:

The entrance fee is valid for 10 years (for US citizens). What happens when your passport expires long before that- say in 3 years. The entrance fee will still be valid with the new passport for another 7 years or you have to pay a new entrance fee whenever you change your passport.

Any response is greatly appreciated.Present your expired and your new passport. The visas are current even though the passport has expired.

Argento

Member #4112
07-19-11, 23:55
Argentio is correct. I had the same problem with an expired passport but a Brazilian visa which was still valid. Contacted the embassy in the US and they confirmed they would not issue a new visa until the original one expired but I could carry both passports and use the visa for entry. Argentina is probably the same but you could contact their embassy to check just in case.

TheMan8
07-20-11, 21:03
Argentio is correct. I had the same problem with an expired passport but a Brazilian visa which was still valid. Contacted the embassy in the US and they confirmed they would not issue a new visa until the original one expired but I could carry both passports and use the visa for entry. Argentina is probably the same but you could contact their embassy to check just in case.Officially, the rule is 10 years or the expiry date of your passport, whichever is sooner. I was asked to pay for a fresh visa on my new passport because of this rule, but it depends on whether you get a boludo or not for a immigration officer. But the rule is against you.

Mikap
07-21-11, 21:03
Officially, the rule is 10 years or the expiry date of your passport, whichever is sooner. I was asked to pay for a fresh visa on my new passport because of this rule, but it depends on whether you get a boludo or not for a immigration officer. But the rule is against you.I looked everywhere but I could not find any place that clarifies this situation. After reading the press releases you could also conclude what Argento said is true: "Present your expired and your new passport. The visas are current even though the passport has expired." Anyway since you have a first hand experience about this, there is no doubt what you are saying is the case. But I was wondering where you read that: "the rule is 10 years or the expiry date of your passport, whichever is sooner." Because like I said I could not find any place that explicitly clarifies that.

Toymann
07-21-11, 21:14
Officially, the rule is 10 years or the expiry date of your passport, whichever is sooner. I was asked to pay for a fresh visa on my new passport because of this rule, but it depends on whether you get a boludo or not for a immigration officer. But the rule is against you.I find this as NO surprise. Happy Mongering All. Toymann.

P. I have a 3 year difference between my visa and passport. WTF! Who cares! LOL!

Lorenzo
07-22-11, 01:47
I looked everywhere but I could not find any place that clarifies this situation. After reading the press releases you could also conclude what Argento said is true: "Present your expired and your new passport. The visas are current even though the passport has expired." Anyway since you have a first hand experience about this, there is no doubt what you are saying is the case. But I was wondering where you read that: "the rule is 10 years or the expiry date of your passport, whichever is sooner." Because like I said I could not find any place that explicitly clarifies that.I was told by the Argentinian immigration official who issued the entry document (it's not really a visa) that it was good until the expiration of my passport. She didn't say anything about 10 years. However, the expiration date on the document itself that is pasted into my passport is 10 years from the issue date. Some how I think that the document will not survive the expiration of the passport, which is different from the case in Brazil.

Argento
07-23-11, 15:36
I was told by the Argentinian immigration official who issued the entry document (it's not really a visa) that it was good until the expiration of my passport. She didn't say anything about 10 years. However, the expiration date on the document itself that is pasted into my passport is 10 years from the issue date. Some how I think that the document will not survive the expiration of the passport, which is different from the case in Brazil.If precedent is consistent, in the days when visas were for 2 years, your expired passport containing a current Argentine visa, together with your current passport was accepted. Now this is not the most consistent of countries but given that it is an entry fee issued on the spot, nothing is lost if you present both documents and see how you make out. An old passport is no great burden and the first person to do so can report back to the board. Absolute empirical evidence.

Argento

Gbartoli
07-24-11, 21:16
If precedent is consistent, in the days when visas were for 2 years, your expired passport containing a current Argentine visa, together with your current passport was accepted. Now this is not the most consistent of countries but given that it is an entry fee issued on the spot, nothing is lost if you present both documents and see how you make out. An old passport is no great burden and the first person to do so can report back to the board. Absolute empirical evidence.

ArgentoI arrived Saturday, July 23 in exactly this situation. I encountered two immigration persons during my entry. There seemed no question that my old, cancelled passport with the unexpired Argentina entry authorization was sufficient for entry. Since I was happy to not have to pay the 100+ US$ I didn't ask. Unlike the situation in Chile when I entered last year with 18 mos left on my passport. I tried to find out if there were any alternatives for someone in my position and the immigration official, in spite of little English, put it succinctly in as few words as possible: "new passport, new pay."