PDA

View Full Version : What does "boliche" mean?

Mrboring37
01-25-10, 21:57
What does "boliche" mean?

Are places like Black, La Lopez, or Madahos freelance clubs similar to the Del Rey hotel in Costa Rica or the former Help disco in Rio, Brazil?

Or are Black, La Lopez and Madahos strip clubs?

El Queso
01-25-10, 23:14

Are places like Black, La Lopez, or Madahos freelance clubs similar to the Del Rey hotel in Costa Rica or the former Help disco in Rio, Brazil?

Or are Black, La Lopez and Madahos strip clubs?Black, Madahos, etc are similar to former Help in Rio (but smaller than Help itself) in that you can go there and pick up working girls. They aren't discos like Help was, where you would go in, get a drink, walk arouhnd, dance on the floor with some girls, then take them out.

There are other clubs in Rio that are more like these clubs here - I don't remember any names in Rio because it's been too long. They are smaller, you go in, sit down, some have girls dancing like strip club (usually they aren't for take out) while others don't. There are girls standing at the bar, sitting at other tables an they either come over to talk to you and ask what you want, or wait for you to call them over (often depends on what the club itself allows)

"Boliche" is actually used by the locals to denote dance clubs (discos and such - but not p4p places usually) or even a bowling alley. The actual term most locals use for this kind of club is "cabaret." Not sure why we use the term boliches here.

Miami Bob
01-25-10, 23:27
When I first heard the term in BA ion 1982, I thought that it was a reference to a meat market type of club?

Thinking in english again!

Mrboring37
01-26-10, 01:46
Thank you El Queso for educating me and the rest of us.

Facundo
01-30-10, 10:41

Or are Black, La Lopez and Madahos strip clubs?One of the first times in the written that the word "boliche" appeared in Argentina is in the great epic poem Martin Fierro, written by José Hernández, and published in 1871.

(Era un amigo de Jefe Que con un "boliche" estaba; yerba y tabaco nos daba por la pluma de avestruz...)

He was a friend of the boss Que who was in a boliche(trading store); he gave us mate and tobacco for the exchange of an ostrich feather...

He used the word boliche to mean store (negocio) A boliche in this case was a place where indigenous populations of Argentina traded their goods for tobacco, mate, etc.

Today, the word boliche still has the meaning of the little corner store or almacen, but the more popular meaning of today is that of a discothèque or club for dancing. One popular site even adopted info boliche to promote the more famous dance clubs in Buenos Aires:

http://www.infoboliches.com.ar/

In the explanatory notes to the book Marin Fierro the publisher defines the word boliche as meaning a place of economic transactions, a bar, and a little corner store.