PDA

View Full Version : Breaking 100AR bills

Nice Guy Ed
03-03-10, 14:06
I did a search but came up with nothing.

I have way too many 100AR bills. And not enough small bills. And no one seems to want to accept them.

Can someone tell me where I can break these? The lady at the bank gave me a look as if I just backhanded one of her children when I asked her to break them.

I'm living in San Telmo BTW.

Thanks!

Ed

AllIWantIsLove
03-03-10, 14:31
Supermarkets and restaurants.

I did a search but came up with nothing.

I have way too many 100AR bills. And not enough small bills. And no one seems to want to accept them.

Can someone tell me where I can break these? The lady at the bank gave me a look as if I just backhanded one of her children when I asked her to break them.

I'm living in San Telmo btw.

Thanks!

Ed

Wild Walleye
03-03-10, 15:04
Always force every business to give you change or ''walk''. Provide not one peso! When getting ATM money, always ask for amounts such as 980, 690, 280, etc. Then you should always have change.Sid,

I think you or one of the other guys suggested this a long time ago. I have used that approach often. However, at a couple ATMs I have been prompted to reenter a sum divisible by 100 (I think this happened at a couple of HSBC ATMs) It may be that my timing was bad and that the particular machine was out of 10s and 20s.

SteveC
03-03-10, 17:21
I use the subte every day and always use $100 notes to buy a 10 journey ticket ($11) thus getting 89 in change. Not a way to change a big chunk, but they (almost) always have change and I suppose you could get away with buying a single or 2 journey ticket for 1.10 or 2.20 pesos to get change. Its the best way to get around the city too.

Gato Hunter
03-04-10, 00:51
McDonalds. Buy a soda and pay with a 100. Has never let me down.

If you play the stupid tourist part up it works even better.

Nice Guy Ed
03-04-10, 04:28
If you play the stupid tourist part up it works even better.Honestly, I don't think that will be too hard for me to pull off! Hahaha!:)

Sportsman
03-07-10, 05:55
Supermarkets and restaurants.That's my MO also. I never have the problem of running out of small bills. In fact, I currently have 18 $10 bills 10 $5 bills and 17 $2 bills in my possession. Obviously, I don't carry all of them when each time when I walk out of my apartment.

On the other hand, places I never try to break $100 in order to get samll bills - taxi and privado.

Rockin Bob
03-07-10, 23:10
Supermarkets to break 100? Everytime I try that it takes five or ten minutes for the cashier to find the attendant who has the change.

At the current rate of inflation, we'll be using 1000 pesos notes pretty soon!

AllIWantIsLove
03-08-10, 11:51
Supermarkets to break 100? Everytime I try that it takes five or ten minutes for the cashier to find the attendant who has the change.Yes, you're right. But I don't think I've ever waited more than 2 or 3 minutes. BUT options are limited, supermarkets are easy to find, and many of us have to make some supermarket purchase every two or three days anyway.

Bob

Thomaso276
03-08-10, 18:26
Look, just go into any bank and present 200 in pesos, they will always give change in 10's and 20'. Never asked me for ID. They also give coins, up to 20 pesos. I beleive it is a law they have to provide change to all.

Jackson
03-08-10, 20:08
I believe it is a law they have to provide change to all.Thomaso is correct. Banks are required by law to provide change for anyone who walks into the door.

Facundo
03-09-10, 08:13
Thomaso is correct. Banks are required by law to provide change for anyone who walks into the door.The actual law states, "each bank must change upon request up to AR$ 20 in coins". The old law stated the bank was obligated to change AR$100 into coins. Also, the bank would be hit with a AR$ 10,000 fine if it didn't comply. The new law only states the Central Bank could fine a bank if it doesn't comply with the new law. By the way, not a single bank was ever fined for not changing a AR$100 bill into coins. Under the new law not a single bank has been fined for not complying with the new law in spite the fact the majority of the banks will not change a 20 peso bill into coins; they'll change anywhere from 5 to 10 pesos.

A few banks are getting creative and efficient in changing bills into coins. Banks are beginning to realize that one in two bank customers only enter the bank to get coins to take buses. Banco Frances has installed in some of their branches machines that take up to AR$10 bills and give you coins. Also, the Central Bank has opened two windows behind the ticketing booths at the Retiro Station to dispense all day long up to AR$20 in coins.

Of course President Cristina told everyone that by March 31, 2009 all buses must install electronic ticketing. As of today only a small percentage of bus companies of Buenos Aires have installed the equipment for electronic ticketing.