PDA

View Full Version : San Telmo

Local Lad
03-26-10, 07:26
Spending six weeks in Argentina in July / August, will base myself in BA and will travel around between hunting trips and as and when the mood takes. I have rented apartments previously in Bario Norte and Recoleta. I am considering renting an apartment this time in San Telmo more as a change than anything else. When I first started coming to BA five years ago there were mixed reports on whether or not the area was safe, etc. Whats the current situation please in terms of safety and can anyone pass comment on whether renting in San Telmo compared say to Recoleta or Palermo is a sensible option?

Sukebei
03-26-10, 09:48
I've lived in several areas in Buenos Aires. San Telmo has pros and cons.

Pros: It's quiet compared to Recoleta, not nearly as many cars, collectivos, etc. It's lighter, buildings are not built so close together. Great if you want to learn tango. Close to Puerto Madero for upscale dining and first world ambiance.

Cons: Not as many dining, shopping choices as Recoleta. All the gyms are crap. This is the only area I've been touched by crime in BsAs - but very minor incidents. No mongering activity, a chica complained to me it takes a long time to get to - taxi through Centro can be a nightmare if in the day or early evening.

El Perro
03-26-10, 10:19
Spending six weeks in Argentina in July / August, will base myself in BA and will travel around between hunting trips and as and when the mood takes. I have rented apartments previously in Bario Norte and Recoleta. I am considering renting an apartment this time in San Telmo more as a change than anything else. When I first started coming to BA five years ago there were mixed reports on whether or not the area was safe, etc. Whats the current situation please in terms of safety and can anyone pass comment on whether renting in San Telmo compared say to Recoleta or Palermo is a sensible option?I've lived in San Telmo for over two years now. As Sukebei points out there are pros and cons, though I like it. The negatives-shitty grocery stores, few banks and as for noise-it depends on where you are. It might be quiet in one place in San Telmo and unlivable in another. As for crime, I honestly don't see it as any "worse" here than Recoleta or Palermo. There is snatch and grab everywhere in BsAs. I haven't had any problems except with some drunk jackasses on my street one night that got sorted out the next day. There actually is some mongering here. There are two boliches on my street with gatos, but questionable places, and I wouldn't go without pretty good spanish skills.

As for positives-laid back, old architecture, and there are alot of places to dine actually. There are some nice pubs. Everything is less expensive here compared to Recoleta. And yes, it is very near Puerto Madero. Plus, it is a tourist destination, so there is some international flavor here. Not nearly as many snotty old dowagers walking their poodles dressed in their finery on a Tuesday morning that you would find in Recoleta.

All in all, I would say a very sensible option to rent here depending on your tastes, and actually I know americans here who have apartments for rent. As I have stated on the board before, if crime is your concern-forget about it.