PDA

View Full Version : Banning of some foriegn foods

Gato Hunter
05-08-10, 13:44
Looks like they want to ban the importation of food if it is made in Argentina. Great news for scotch whiskey drinkers, or any drinker actually. No European cheese either.

The link is here. Run it through google translate.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1261662

That peanut butter I am bringing for a friend in a few weeks will be like gold a few days after I get there.

Fun starts June first.

Damman
05-08-10, 14:46
Looks like they want to ban the importation of food if it is made in Argentina. Great news for scotch whiskey drinkers, or any drinker actually. No European cheese either.

The link is here. Run it through google translate.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1261662

That peanut butter I am bringing for a friend in a few weeks will be like gold a few days after I get there.

Fun starts June first.Unbelievable! This is going to backfire: Brazil, Chile, Uruguay. These people are in a world of their own. Biggest black market item in Argentina will be Skippy Peanut Butter. You could not make this stuff up.

Whiskas
05-08-10, 21:21
After reading the article my guess this doesn't have as much to do with cheap Euro as it has to do with low argentine international reserves.

I could bet my right nut that CFK has been using reserves to avoid another devaluation. Wouldn't be the first time it happens in Latin America.

I have heard lots of populist bastards in LATAM "defending" the national industries to know this: When there are few pesos in the treasury, lots of yelling politicians and bad times are coming!

Some goods are becoming precious.

Silver Star
05-08-10, 23:05
I just got some Italian Proscuitto and Mortadella today, and will miss both when the ban starts. The imported Italian blows away the local stuff. Going to miss Heinz Ketchup as well! Will have to start smuggling them through customs now at EZE!

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Whiskas
05-09-10, 01:52
Some time after the beggining of the ban, the Argentine government will realize that smugling and contraband generate tons of money, CFK will discover that the treasury gets no dough, AR customs will become much more corrupt than mexican customs (no small feat, considering the arms smugling) and the black market will flourish like it did back in 1990 in the former Soviet Union.

Realizing the great mistake comitted by no other than Reina Cristina (Queen CFK) my guess is the Congress will create a different category for imported goods -considering them luxury goods- and will increase the value added tax. People will find lots of ways to evade it!

Several individuals will make serious fortunes smuggling. The identity of them depends on who controls black market but politicians and relatives are serious candidates.

You heard it here first folks!

Sukebei
05-09-10, 10:44
Perhaps all the countries that produce their own beef should ban beef imports from Argentina.

Butcher
05-09-10, 13:54
Argentina getting much closer to Cuba and Venezuela.

Criadores wishky it's so wonderful and much better than the imported ones including Chivas, so without competitors Criadores will be as elevated as the traditional ones. WTF! Argentine drinks with the only exception of Fernet and Hesperidina are just a POS.

I think the real agenda of these guys it's about controlling the inflation, but not even a monkey would try to control inflation by imposing restrictions like these. Protection policies in the real world would increase the taxes, or limiting imports, but just banning the products it's so monkey thinking!

I'm wondering if they are going to ban the Paraguayan girls from the sex market as well?

No, I don't think so, the Minister's mother will keep her job.

Wild Walleye
05-09-10, 17:31
Whiskas is on the right track. Banning the importation of popular, consumable commodities will prevent a certain amount of pesos from leaving the country. The banned items, while not essential for survival, will likely be replaced with domestic alternatives so the overall spend on such items will probably drop a little and then remain fairly steady. The pesos stay in Argentina and every step of the addition domestic production gets hit with the VAT.

The smuggling and black market stuff will line the pockets of the connected, who in turn will contribute to political campaigns, therefore, it will be tollerated, if not encouraged.