PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010

Rev BS
06-04-10, 15:30
The World Cup 2010 is due to start in South Africa in a week's time. Everything will be come to a standstill all over the world. Couples will throttle each other's throats. Factories will operating at 60% capacity. Fans will commit suicide after losing everything they have betting on the matches. I hope you guys are feeling it, it should take precedence even over sex (ok, you can do it at half-time)

Argentina, while not odds on to win, is certainly very capable of taking the trophy. I have talked to several Argentinians the last few months, all of them have been pessimistic about their chances due their lack of faith in Maradona as a coach.

So I am here to talk with soccer fans, the sport I know you guys love passionately, that is why you all left the good ole USA to be in one of the meccas of soccer. So let's talk futbol, everyone from everywhere. I will make my pick in a few days time.

Stinger
06-04-10, 16:58
Argentina looked pretty bad several times during their qualifying run. They have so many talented players, but will not win because of Maradona. I watched two of the games right at the end when it looked like they would not qualify. People were hanging their heads in the BA airport. Paraguay looks to me to be the second best side in South America, though Chile could get some emotional pop from the recent earthquake. Another thing I have noticed is that the top half of the draw, Groups A-D, looks far easier than the bottom half. Brazil's half has more of the top teams in the world and it will be tough for anyone to come out of that half. But, England and Germany are well positioned to make it to the final. I did not think Argentina deserved to get a #1 seed. It was based on previous World Cup performances, not their qualifying the last two years.

Stinger

Gato Hunter
06-04-10, 18:00
I agree that Paraguay is looking good. Especially in there group. I watched them beat Greece the other day in a friendly. The defence looked a little slow though.

Big Travel Guy
06-04-10, 18:16
Not exactly an original thought, or one that's going to collect a long odds, but you heard it here first. It's Brazil.

Now, if you want to make some money: One interesing bet is the USA to win their group. Last I checked, you get about 4:1 on that prospect. Given how weak the other two teams in the division are, other than the UK and the US, a bet on the US is basically a bet on the outcome of the June 2 US / UK match. Now, the US may lose, and there may be a draw (which means the group will likely come down to goal differentials) but I dare say if the US wins that opening match, they'll win the group. And they've got to be better than 4:1 to win that match.

Damman
06-04-10, 18:27
Maradona, what piece of work. No futball expert, but the last time I checked, futball was a team sport. Maradona does not have a clue on how to manage a team and inspire a team effort. It will be every man for himself. Argentina out in the first round. Watch Brazil, they play with passion.

JuanCaminante
06-04-10, 19:42
Not exactly an original thought, or one that's going to collect a long odds, but you heard it here first. It's Brazil.

Now, if you want to make some money: One interesing bet is the USA to win their group. Last I checked, you get about 4:1 on that prospect. Given how weak the other two teams in the division are, other than the UK and the US, a bet on the US is basically a bet on the outcome of the June 2 US / UK match. Now, the US may lose, and there may be a draw (which means the group will likely come down to goal differentials) but I dare say if the US wins that opening match, they'll win the group. And they've got to be better than 4:1 to win that match.BTG.

Its USA vs England.

UK do not have a soccer team - four countries = four teams.

If you remmeber that there will be 5 milllion Scotsmen cheering for you next week!

Rev BS
06-04-10, 21:53
BTG.

Its USA vs England.

If you remmeber that there will be 5 milllion Scotsmen cheering for you next week!I wish I have access to legal wagering. No, I do not wish to be involve in online gambling at this time. I remember when the World Cup was held in the States in 1996, I was in Las Vegas and was too chicken to put money on the US vs Colombia match, the odds for the US as underdogs were 1 to 40.

My gut feeling is that Holland and Denmark are going to do very well, although the Dutch has a history of self destruction ala Argentina. They were both impressive in qualifying. It will be interesting to see how North Korea is going to perform, they are rated the lowest of the teams in the World Cup

El Perro
06-05-10, 00:57
Bet the frontrunners. Either Brazil or Spain. Argentina has tons of great players but some of them aren't even on the National Team due to Maradona's idiocy. Spain is loaded, and Brazil have a coach who knows what he is doing and doesn't let public opinion deter him from his plan. Brazil has a stout defense and a lethal counterattack. I'm picking Luis Fabiano as the top scorer in the WC.

Gato Hunter
06-05-10, 02:43
I think this one is ripe for an upset from deep in the field. There is so much being bet on Spain and Brazil that its almost like the bookies know something.

Argentina has some great players but they are not playing like a team. If they were they would be favored heavily.

Rev BS
06-05-10, 11:05
Argentina is 6/1 or 13/2 odds on to win. Sweet if they come through, and Maradona will attain sainthood and get to screw Christina.

Stinger
06-05-10, 16:15
Too bad it is not like the market where you can short. I would definitely short Argentina. Do you really think Maradona would screw her? They are both kind of f'ed up. Replying to others here, don't count out Slovenia in the US group. They kept Russia from qualifying. Also, until Didier Drogba broke his arm, I was picking Ivory Coast to advance ahead of Portugal, but if he can't go, there is no way that happens. I think the story of the World Cup so far is all of the injuries even before the contests start. Playing into the hands of Brazil, Spain, and England, who are relatively unscathed, are the injuries to Drogba, Ballack, Altidore, etc. As for North Korea, the only news so far on them is that when they arrived, they mistakenly listed a backup striker as a third goalie, so he can only play that position, which means he will not play. They only scored 7 goals in 8 games in the last round of qualifying against very weak opponents. They may not score 1 in South Africa, though we can't forget that unbelievable upset against Italy in 1966. No one knows much about them, but I predict they finish last.

Big Travel Guy
06-05-10, 16:56
BTG.

Its USA vs England.

If you remmeber that there will be 5 milllion Scotsmen cheering for you next week!SORRY! Yes, of course, and I absolutely know that. Just a case of sloppy e-mail abbreviation.

Rev BS
06-06-10, 13:46
Dedicated to the mongers, who come and go.

Argentina has been a international soccer powerhouse from very early on, it's Spanish and Italian roots with a little English touch create a physical yet skillful style of game that is quite different from it's more popular and famous neighbor, Brazil and it's signature samba soccer. This rivalry, one of the most intense in the world is legendary to soccer fans.

With Boca Juniors one of the top 5 teams in the world, year after year, the Argentina football clubs make Argentina one of the world's top soccer exporting nations, it's stars are performing in almost all the major leagues in the world. Messi of Barcelona was the FIFA player of the year for 2010.

Others may differ, but I do feel that in recent years that Argentina have choked on more than a couple of occasions on the world stage. And especially when Brazil were involved, that Argentina suffers from a inferiority complex. Now, Argentina did win the Olympic Games in 2008 and beat Brazil on their way to win the gold medal. But really, who cares about soccer in the Olympic Games, the sold out crowds might say otherwise (but every sport sells out in the OG)

Let me take you back to Lima, Peru, 2004 at the Copa America (South America plus invitees) championship game between Argentina and Brazil. I still can't believe I was not there, soccer in the day and women at night! Loaded with stars, Argentina dominated a Brazil be team to lead 2-1 with seconds to go when Adriano was left open but still had to make a good shot to tie. Argentina lost on penalities and in my opinion, have never been the same since then. In 2006, playing scintillating football in the opening rounds, they allow a weak German team (but playing on home soil) to beat them, despite scoring first very early on and having momentum. Leaving young Messi on the bench was self defeating. The coach was somehow not nailed to the cross, the Argentinians somehow accepted that this was their position in the pecking order of life.

So now, struggling to qualify for 2010, their own soccer federation in disarray, pick Maradona to be their coach. Then Maradona trying to impose order, decided not pick the best team available, omitting Zenetti and Cambiossa from the Champions League winner Inter Milan. No wonder, Argentina fans are in no mood to talk soccer.

To be an Argentinian soccer fan, is to be longsuffering. And so the question, is their soccer life so different from their everyday life?

Master J
06-07-10, 01:30
I am not sure if this article or request got it's due, but it is worth noting.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/madcap-maradona-demands-snazzy-luxury-toilets-for-argentina-team-20100524-w4c2.html

The world cup is a great format for the world to relax and enjoy for the time being.

Besides the chalk picks, we like Mexico, Greece, sleepers. Some great teams and athletes are playing.

I wonder how many AP member do want Argentina to win?

El Perro
06-07-10, 10:10
I am not sure if this article or request got it's due, but it is worth noting.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/madcap-maradona-demands-snazzy-luxury-toilets-for-argentina-team-20100524-w4c2.html

The world cup is a great format for the world to relax and enjoy for the time being.

Besides the chalk picks, we like Mexico, Greece, sleepers. Some great teams and athletes are playing.

I wonder how many AP member do want Argentina to win?Here's one, even with Maradona, or in spite of him.

Gato Hunter
06-07-10, 17:16
The Barras Bravas are there now also!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100607/ap_on_sp_so_ne/soc_hooligan_hotel;_ylt=Auc50nuQ.mHhPjP3aADx3iOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFkM3R2bWJuBHBvcwMxODkEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9zcG9ydHMEc2xrA2FyZ2VudGluZWhvbw--

If you ever want to do something that is borderline stupid go to a Boca game and sit in the barras bravas section. I did it, once.

I find it interesting that there are probably guys staying there together that hate each other here. In the article it says that they deported a few to Angola, thats gotta suck.

Schmoj
06-07-10, 21:19
I wonder how many AP member do want Argentina to win?I do, just for the parties and mayhem that would follow. I lived in France during the last world cup and it was a lot of fun as they worked their way to the finals. Of course it was pretty depressing when they lost.

That said, if Uruguay, Paraguay, and / or Chile do well, I'm going to take a little trip. I'm curious to see who makes it out of the first round.

PS: I agree with all the comments about Argentina and it's illustrious coach. However, you guys seem to be overestimating the other three teams in their group. Though anything can happen in the World Cup.

Where are you guys going to watch? It's kind of early, so I'll probably head someplace in the neighborhood. Probably Cronico in Plaza Serrano.

Rev BS
06-09-10, 22:34
With soccer fever rising to sizzling pitch, the arrival of the overweight and overloud American fans (the line stolen from ESPN) give rise to the fact that soccer will ultimately attain equal popularity to the other major American sports. Most important, they are OVER THERE, ticket sales indicate that Americans were the biggest buyers among countries. I could be wrong, but my take on that is that the American ticket agencies (scalpers) were the biggest buyer of tickets.

So what gives to the fact that this board, dominated by American patriots is so blase about World Cup 2010. Man, USA vs England! Does that not give you guys a hard-on. This is the Revolution War all over again, get out your muskets (not your dicks) and wave the RED, WHITE & BLUE. Stop thinking about beer, beef & and the state of your salami. That is why I could never be in the US during the tournament, the emotional stupor is just mindnumbing there.

About this time, my emotions suffer from misgivings as to why I am not there in person to enjoy the celebration. Well, poor planning is the main culprit. Therefore, I vow that I will be there in Rio de Janeiro in 2014. A swim, the game, followed by a trip to 4x4, now that is heaven.

Big Travel Guy
06-10-10, 03:26
Man, USA vs England! Does that not give you guys a hard-on. I, for one, do have a hard-on for this match. So when you're all watching, at El Alamo or wherever, on Saturday, just think of old BTG with his hard on, rooting with his heart, and his cash, for the US of A!

Rev BS
06-10-10, 03:53
I, for one, do have a hard-on for this match. So when you're all watching, at El Alamo or wherever, on Saturday, just think of old BTG with his hard on, rooting with his heart, and his cash, for the US of A!Will be rooting for the Yankees just like you. And the winnings will be put to good use, I am sure.

Rev BS
06-11-10, 04:00
Have your say, who is going to win The World Cup.

Well, with less than 9 hrs to go before kickoff, we still have yet to hear from many of you, especially the know -it -all Americans. Either you are obsess with sex or you don't give a damn. It's ok, to each their own loss.

I have decided to put all my support behind Argentina. If they disappoint me, that is ok, Argentina (espeially their women) have given me many pleasurable moments and I would like see Argentina win and give them a big moment of pride on the world stage. My other sentimental choice would be Netherlands. And no surprise, Brazil and Spain, if they play to form, would be playing for Cup.

Let the festivities begin, get a couple of loads off early, so you will not have to ibe nterrupted. There will not too many breaks coming the next month.

Schmoj
06-11-10, 14:43
Everytime I try to convince myself to support Argentina, I see that mellon-head Maradona on TV and I remember why I don't like them in the first place. But still, I have to say it would be nice to see them win.

My sentimental favorites are always France, Uruguay, and Mexico (all in the same group this year! Even though I'm a Yank, I always find it hard to root for the USA. Not for any political reason, I've just never liked the players or coach.

I've never understood why the US doesn't show more interest in the World Cup. It's always a lot of fun and brings people from all over the world together.

Enjoy!

Damman
06-11-10, 17:17
Can only echo the sentiment for Maradona. The guy is a ticking time bomb. He will cause an uproar in one way or another to attract attention and Argentina will be history.

Think the match between USA and England is going to be renamed: USA vs BP.

One thing for sure, the Argies do not have any sense of humor. Tried buying a Nigerian flag to hang off the balcony, it did not go over very well.

Brazil, Brazil, Brazil.

Easy Go
06-11-10, 21:03
This is a pretty fun Nike commercial that they made for World Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE&feature=player_embedded

Rev BS
06-12-10, 01:17
The opening day saw 2 matches that ended in ties, kind of lackluster and a little disappointing. Well, that is soccer, teams were probably nervous with so much at stake. Today is super exciting, with both Argentina and USA in action. I am on edge waiting for the matches today, so I am going to get a massage, should it be therapeutic or sensual. I can't make up my mind.

Damman
06-12-10, 12:57
Upon further review, Argentina aint looking too bad. My mouth once again may have overloaded my ass.

Schmoj
06-12-10, 13:01
Upon further review, Argentina aint looking too bad. My mouth once again may have overloaded my ass.Oh, there is still plenty of time for you to be proven right.

Big Travel Guy
06-12-10, 14:19
Messi making things happen, but then always sort of off the mark. The suspect defense gave up some chances but no goals. Not what I expected (I think I was thinking 3:1 or 3:2 or something) but three points in the bank. Bring on South Korea.

El Perro
06-12-10, 14:24
Messi making things happen, but then always sort of off the mark. The suspect defense gave up some chances but no goals. Not what I expected (I think I was thinking 3:1 or 3:2 or something) but three points in the bank. Bring on South Korea.Three points is three points, but an underwhelming performance. Argentina is slow on defense and as they move on they are going to give up goals. They can't keep misfiring as they did today. Gutierrez at rightback is not going to work, IMHO, and Veron is too slow and still with his habit of bad passes in World Cups. Even though Messi didn't score he actually had to play as a striker and "point guard" today because Veron couldn't handle the responsibility. Maradona should have brought Banega and / or Aimar. He's gonna regret that I think.

Damman
06-12-10, 14:40
Congratulations Argentina.

Rev BS
06-12-10, 16:34
Three points is three points, but an underwhelming performance. Argentina is slow on defense and as they move on they are going to give up goals. They can't keep misfiring as they did today. Gutierrez at rightback is not going to work, IMHO, and Veron is too slow and still with his habit of bad passes in World Cups. Even though Messi didn't score he actually had to play as a striker and "point guard" today because Veron couldn't handle the responsibility. Maradona should have brought Banega and / or Aimar. He's gonna regret that I think.Totally agreed with you, this team is still trying to find itself. Tevez and Higuain were non-factors, so expect Milito to come on. He had himself quite a game for Inter in the Champions League Final.

El Perro
06-12-10, 19:11
Humongous draw for the states. That keeper for England will be having nightmares about his fuck up for a long time. That said, the states played really well. They are a very disciplined squad who play with passion, but not out of control. They are far from the most talented, but on any given day they can give much more talented teams a hard time. They drew with the best team in their group, so that's a big leg up as far as getting out of group play.

Rev BS
06-12-10, 22:36
Yes, the US should gain confidence from this match. Hope to see a tighter defence in the next 2 games. England look like they could score more with Rooney, Lampard & Gerrard, somehow, they did not.

Big Travel Guy
06-13-10, 01:29
Yes, the US should gain confidence from this match. Hope to see a tighter defence in the next 2 games. England look like they could score more with Rooney, Lampard & Gerrard, somehow, they did not.Am I the only guy that thinks almost EVERYBODY should be scoring more this World Cup? I mean, I'm not one of these American sports fans that thinks everything needs to be high scoring, but: there was talk that Uruguay has gone to a much more dynamic offense, with some real potetent strikers, but that maybe their defense was suspect: result: 0 - 0. Argentina, which we know has suspect defense, but also the most potent offensive player in the world: result 1:0. Chances galore in England / USA, but the USA needed an absolute goaltending freak disaster to even get the score to 1:1.

Greece, European champions just 6 years ago, score nothing. South Africa and Mexico don't score much.

It just seems like something is a little lackluster, offensively, all around so far. Am I wrong?

Rev BS
06-13-10, 01:51
Am I the only guy that thinks almost EVERYBODY should be scoring more this World Cup? I mean, I'm not one of these American sports fans that thinks everything needs to be high scoring, but: there was talk that Uruguay has gone to a much more dynamic offense, with some real potetent strikers, but that maybe their defense was suspect: result: 0 - 0. Argentina, which we know has suspect defense, but also the most potent offensive player in the world: result 1:0. Chances galore in England / USA, but the USA needed an absolute goaltending freak disaster to even get the score to 1:1.

Greece, European champions just 6 years ago, score nothing. South Africa and Mexico don't score much.

It just seems like something is a little lackluster, offensively, all around so far. Am I wrong?It seem like many offensive players including strikers would rather pass the ball than shoot. I wish they would shoot on sight. Anything can happen on a hard driving strike, it can take a bounce off anybody in the penalty box or the goalie could make a poor parry and leave it for somebody to follow up. I don't know what the percentage of goals that come from that category, but I suppose it could be quite high.

England's Heskey & Wright-Phillips both had Howard at their mercy and shot directly into the US goalie, Howard. I guess it is not as easy as it looks. That is why the top strikers are worth mega-bucks.

El Perro
06-13-10, 10:01
Am I the only guy that thinks almost EVERYBODY should be scoring more this World Cup? I mean, I'm not one of these American sports fans that thinks everything needs to be high scoring, but: there was talk that Uruguay has gone to a much more dynamic offense, with some real potetent strikers, but that maybe their defense was suspect: result: 0 - 0. Argentina, which we know has suspect defense, but also the most potent offensive player in the world: result 1:0. Chances galore in England / USA, but the USA needed an absolute goaltending freak disaster to even get the score to 1:1.

It just seems like something is a little lackluster, offensively, all around so far. Am I wrong?There's alot more emphasis on defense in the sport over the past 20 years, and that mentality gets ratcheted up another notch in the World Cup. The prevailing philosophy now is to win with defense. Even Brazil, known for playing the "beautiful game", is more focussed on defense now. They have arguably the best keeper in the world, don't worry about maintaining possession, and then kill you with quick, lethal counterattacks. You know defense is a team's priority when they leave Ronaldinho off the squad.

PeterLong
06-13-10, 11:56
I rather enjoyed Argentina's style of play, and especially Messi's creativity.

I wouldn't count them out just yet. Just because they barely qualified and have a hot head as a coach shouldn't matter.

¡Nunca se sabe en Argentina!

Rev BS
06-14-10, 05:00
Today's match-ups are very interesting in trying to gauge some of the serious contenders for the World Cup. Is Italy too old? Netherlands, whom I like very much, can they fulfill their destiny after years of flirting at the top? Can Japan match South Korea's success as they strive to show that Asia is finally able to match-up physically with the Western powers. Hmm, these games are really screwing up my sleep!

El Perro
06-14-10, 12:03
Today's match-ups are very interesting in trying to gauge some of the serious contenders for the World Cup. Is Italy too old? Netherlands, whom I like very much, can they fulfill their destiny after years of flirting at the top? Can Japan match South Korea's success as they strive to show that Asia is finally able to match-up physically with the Western powers. Hmm, these games are really screwing up my sleep!Big match-up today between Paraguay and Italy. Paraguay had a lot of success in the WC qualifiers and are dangerous even with the loss of Cabanas. They also have a good coach-an argentino. I'm hoping for a quick exit for Italy. They are consistently one of the most defensive minded, boring teams. Though it's hard to argue with their history of success. I was in Little Italy in NYC in 1982 when they won the WC in Madrid. Unbelievable scene.

Easy Go
06-15-10, 00:36
Now this is funny.

http://trueslant.com/donovan/2010/06/14/the-sound-thats-ruining-the-world-cup-the-vuvuzela/

Rev BS
06-15-10, 02:18
Not too much different than selling the rest of the world on american football. They were checking on the relatives of Tom Brady's gf, Gail B, who is from a small town in Brazil about what he does for a living. They did not say americal football was boring, just that they could not figure what the teams were trying to do.

So, it's a cultural thing, exposure and assimilation being necessary components to enjoying the sport. Just saying it's boring, is just a display of arrogance and ignorance. The landscape will be very different in the US in 8-12 years, when they might host the World Cup again.

Rev BS
06-15-10, 02:21
Anybody want to predict the Brazil v N. Korea game? My take is Brazil 5-1.

Schmoj
06-15-10, 03:51
Anybody want to predict the Brazil v N. Korea game? My take is Brazil 5-1.I say 3-0 Brazil. I will be shocked if N. Korea even scores.

Wild Walleye
06-15-10, 04:26
I say 3-0 Brazil. I will be shocked if N. Korea even scores.Guess how many touches NK will get

El Perro
06-15-10, 16:01
Heading over to Gibralter to watch the murdering scumbag North Koreans versus Brazil.

Schmoj
06-15-10, 17:16
Guess how many touches NK will getJeezus, I don't think anyone was expecting that.

Schmoj
06-15-10, 18:19
I say 3-0 Brazil. I will be shocked if N. Korea even scores.Ok, I guess I'll be eating those words. Kudos to the PRK for making it an interesting match.

Rev BS
06-15-10, 18:40
Wow, a goal for the ages! Maicon must have some extra toe action on that goal, or is it the new ball.

And finally, a game worthy of the World Cup, played with skill, stamina and courage by both teams. Right from the start, Brazil did not disappoint, the samba magic was there, Robinho with his scintillating ball control made numerous runs at the N Koreans. Goals might have come early had Kaka been his usual assured self. But give credit to the N Koreans, who might be the fittest team in the tournament. Their defence was equal to the impossible task that was required. Fitness, speed and precision were their trademarks in 1966 when they burst on the scene and surprised the old soccer order. This time, they brought the same qualities, but modern professional soccer has improved physical fitness levels overall, so that is no longer a surprise factor. Even so, their goal was a result that they were going strong till the end.

I see both teams advancing, is it possible that the 2 Koreas will meet later? I hope so, it will be a dream match-up.

Rev BS
06-15-10, 18:52
My bad, I forgot about the make-up of Group G, this is the Group of Death. Brazil might try to help Portugal, the land of their forefathers.

Damman
06-15-10, 20:25
One more time, Brazil, Brazil.

Got to love the KIWIS, "All Whites." No Politically Correct BS in their vocabulary.

North and South Korea, now, that would be a match.

Have good day everyone.

Schmoj
06-16-10, 00:26
Got to love the KIWIS, "All Whites." No Politically Correct BS in their vocabulary. They also have the All Blacks.

Jackson
06-16-10, 14:23
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/buzzkill-vuvuzelas-ruining-world-cup-experience--fbintl_ro-vuvuzela061410.html

And I thought I was the only one that noticed the annoying background noise.

Thanks,

Jackson

El Perro
06-16-10, 15:26
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/buzzkill-vuvuzelas-ruining-world-cup-experience--fbintl_ro-vuvuzela061410.html

And I thought I was the only one that noticed the annoying background noise.

Thanks,

JacksonYes, an irritant.

Rockin Bob
06-16-10, 15:58
Here's one more column on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/sports/soccer/16vecsey.html?ref=sports

Right, they are annoying just about everybody except the people blowing into them.

But just when you thought it couldn't get worse, yesterday there was a report on TN that you can get a vuvuzela ringtone for your phone.

Ringtones in general drive me crazy, but this is annoyance squared.

All I need is a vuvuzela ringtone going off in the middle of a movie.

Could be the last phone call the motherf**k ever receives.

Schmoj
06-16-10, 16:26
I can only imagine the pain of being there live.

Rev BS
06-16-10, 22:51
I can only imagine the pain of being there live.Not much difference from crying babies in a 10-14 hrs. Flight. And it's only for about 2 hrs with a break at halftime.

Seismo
06-17-10, 00:44
After the first 16 games [all teams having played one game each],

There has been 11 unders /1 over /4 pushes. The only game that went over was Germany. The total on most games has been 2, with a few games being 2.5 It doesn't get any easier than this!

I expect the next round to be primarily unders also.

Big Travel Guy
06-17-10, 01:24

There has been 11 unders /1 over /4 pushes. The only game that went over was Germany. The total on most games has been 2, with a few games being 2.5 It doesn't get any easier than this!

I expect the next round to be primarily unders also.In the first of the 2nd games, I took the over! And won, on Uruguay 3:0. Ok, so I needed a lucky goal in the last minute of stoppage time.

The under has been wonderful. But as teams are striving to go through to the knockout round, I expect more risks to be taken to acheive wins, and goal differential advantage, so I think there will be a lot more overs in the 2nd, and especially the 3rd, games of the initial stage. Could be wrong.

Damman
06-17-10, 10:08
Think Argentina showed up to play their "A" game today.

El Perro
06-17-10, 10:25
Think Argentina showed up to play their "A" game today.Looking great until Demichelis fell asleep at the end. Samuel, Argentina's best centerback, is out with a hamstring.

Damman
06-17-10, 10:32
Looking great until Demichelis fell asleep at the end.Took the wind out of my sails. If Messi could just close the deal. The guy is amazing.

Rev BS
06-17-10, 10:37

I expect the next round to be primarily unders also.Maybe it's time to go for a parlay.

Big Travel Guy
06-17-10, 14:18

I expect the next round to be primarily unders also.Three matches so far in Game 2's: Over 3, under 0! Seismo, I hope you didn't press your highly successful Game 1 strategy too much so far! I also hope this recent trend stops for the moment-- I have the under in France Mexico this afternoon!

BTG

Rev BS
06-18-10, 11:42
AP reported a story from South Africa of an older man who was killed by his wife and 2 grown children over a clash about what tv channel to watch. He wanted to watch the Germany game, and the rest of the family wanted to watch a gospel show. When he got up to change the channel manually after having been refused the remote, the rest of the family assaulted him.

It happens every World Cup.

Rev BS
06-18-10, 13:58
Wow, what a comeback by good ole USA! And robbed of a winner by the referee. So now, it looks like whoever scores the most against Algeria will go through from the group. Unless Algeria does the impossible and beat or tie England.

El Perro
06-18-10, 14:06
Wow, what a comeback by good ole USA! And robbed of a winner by the referee. So now, it looks like whoever scores the most against Algeria will go through from the group. Unless Algeria does the impossible and beat or tie England.The USA completely fucked by that piece of shit ref. Check that cocksucker's bank account in the next few weeks.

El Perro
06-18-10, 14:32
Wow, what a comeback by good ole USA! And robbed of a winner by the referee. So now, it looks like whoever scores the most against Algeria will go through from the group. Unless Algeria does the impossible and beat or tie England.If England wins out and the USA wins the last group match we go through. That's the most likely scenario to help us overcome being fucked like a dog today. I'd like to strangle that cheating cocksucker of a ref.

Damman
06-18-10, 14:33
The USA completely fucked by that piece of shit ref.The boy (ref) would need an armed escort if he made a call like that against Argentina.

Seems like the major European countries are not doing so well? The Cup looks like it may become a South American event?

El Perro
06-18-10, 14:49
The boy (ref) would need an armed escort if he made a call like that against Argentina.

Seems like the major European countries are not doing so well? The Cup looks like it may become a South American event?So far no South American team has lost. The French stink and are on their way out, Italy is only a little better and it looks like their goalie (best player on the team) might be out with a bad back. Germany looked mortal today. Spain was overconfident and are looking up from the bottom, but will probably go through.

The South American teams play with more passion and creativity.

I'd still like to find that asshole ref and unscrew his fucking head.

On the slightly brighter side, it's definitely possible that England could win their last two matches and the USA could beat Algeria. The dark side of that is that England are noted WC pussies and you can't fucking rely on them for a thing.

El Perro
06-18-10, 15:10
That ref's Wikipedia page already assaulted.

Damman
06-18-10, 15:12
I'd still like to find that asshole ref and unscrew his fucking head.Doggboy, you have missed your calling, need to be a color commentator on ESPN.

The best part of this World Cup thing for me is watching my Argie friends. The passion and animation in their actions is a site to behold. I get to laughing so hard and keep telling them it is "only a game." They look at me and "wonder what is with this Gringo?" Quite an experience.

El Perro
06-18-10, 18:44
My apologies to my friends from the mother country, pero por favor! What a gutless performance today. The english 11 stood around for 90 minutes and did next to nothing. They all looked tight as snare drums.

I was wrong in an earlier post. The USA can still progress even with England's draw. What a pitiful group.

Stan Da Man
06-18-10, 22:28
My apologies to my friends from the mother country, pero por favor! What a gutless performance today. The english 11 stood around for 90 minutes and did next to nothing. They all looked tight as snare drums.

I was wrong in an earlier post. The USA can still progress even with England's draw. What a pitiful group.I was in Mexico City yesterday and watched the Mexicans thoroughly outplay the French. How satisfying was that? They were partying in the streets with everyone driving around, hanging out of cars and waving Mexican flags. It was good to see for a country that usually has so many setbacks. Pity that I couldn't stay for the night.

Turning to the USA and England, I think the tiebreaker rules are:

1. Total points (obviously)

2. Goals differential.

3. Total goals scored.

I mention this because there is a fair chance that USA and England will be tied on #s 1 and 2, above, after the next match. If one team wins and the other loses or draws its next match, then the they would have a different # of points, so there would be no need for a tiebreaker.

But, if both finish with the same result next match, then it gets interesting. For instance, if both teams win their final match 2-1, or tie again at 1-1.

Then, the third tiebreaker would come into play -- total goals scored in group play. With the USA having scored two today, they are ahead in that category.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the above is how it works?

Rev BS
06-18-10, 23:20
If the US beats Algeria, Slovenia needs at least a tie with England to go through. So that is one advantage that the US has, but my gut instinct tells me that England will beat Slovenia. That means Slovenia could be looking from the outside despite their great start. Regardless, USA needs to win and win big to maximise the group outcome.

Big Travel Guy
06-19-10, 01:50
The third tiebreaker would come into play -- total goals scored in group play. With the USA having scored two today, they are ahead in that category.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the above is how it works?I guess the key way to look at this is that the World Cup tie breakers are in the completely opposite order of the ones we're used to in the US looking at say, college football conference stuff. We think of "head to head" as the first tie breaker. In FIFA land, that only comes in AFTER: total points, goal differential, and total goals scored. And since, in this case, the only teams we can tie with are England, or Slovenia (but not both) and we tied both of them, head to head cannot solve anything. So as I read it, if we end up in any ties, with equal goal differential and equal total goals with anybody, we're going to draw lots.

Somebody let me know if I've got this wrong.

In any case: If the US wins vs. Algeria, they have 5 points, and they advance, no matter what: as follows-- If England wins, then Slovenia only has 4 points, so England and the US advance. If Slovenia wins, Slovenia has 7 points and wins the Group, but our 5 points will beat England's 2 and Algeria's 1, and thus we advance. If England and Slovenia Draw, we're tied with Slovenia at 5 points, but England only has 3, so we advance.

Now, I happen to have a pretty big bet that the US wins the division, so I personally care that we not just advance, but finish first. That can happen with a US win, and an England win, IF we beat Algeria by more goals than England beats Slovenia, OR, if we beat Algeria by the same amount of goals as England beats Slovenia, but England's goal total isn't 2 more than ours. I can also win my bet if we win and if England and Slovenia draw (which means we're then tied with Slovenia, not England) AND that we outscore Algeria by more than 1 goal.

If Slovenia beats England, the US can still advance to the knockout round by winning, but we can't win the Group.

Clear as mud?

El Perro
06-19-10, 14:45
From the NYTimes:

* If the Americans beat Algeria, they will have 5 points. That would leave them in first or second place in the group, no matter the outcome of the Slovenia-England finale in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday, a match that starts at the same time as the United States-Algeria match.

* If the Americans draw with Algeria, they will have 3 points. In that case, they could advance only if Slovenia beats England, or if England draws with Slovenia by a low score. If England draws with Slovenia while the United States draws with Algeria, and England scores two more goals in their draw than the Americans score in theirs, they will have identical records. In that case, lots will be drawn to determine which team advances to the knockout phase.

* If the Americans lose to Algeria, they will have only 2 points and will be eliminated.

Under World Cup rules, the first tie-breaker if teams are tied in points is goal difference. If that is tied, the team that scored more goals gets the nod. If that is tied, there are a few head-to-head tie breakers before a drawing of lots determines which team goes through.

Rev BS
06-19-10, 23:08
As the World Cup progress to the 2nd round, we are seeing the humbling of the traditional European soccer powers. Loaded with high paying stars, Italy, France, Germany and England have not been able produce the soccer that these same players have produced for their clubs. Perhaps, Spain can make a return to the soccer they have been producing the last 2 years.

So what gives? The long soccer season? Stars not given their club roles? What is clear, the rest of the world is catching up. There are no more automatic wins anymore. Hope somebody saw the trend and make a killing betting that way.

Exon123
06-20-10, 00:45
From the NYTimes:

* If the Americans beat Algeria, they will have 5 points. That would leave them in first or second place in the group, no matter the outcome of the Slovenia-England finale in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday, a match that starts at the same time as the United States-Algeria match.

* If the Americans draw with Algeria, they will have 3 points. In that case, they could advance only if Slovenia beats England, or if England draws with Slovenia by a low score. If England draws with Slovenia while the United States draws with Algeria, and England scores two more goals in their draw than the Americans score in theirs, they will have identical records. In that case, lots will be drawn to determine which team advances to the knockout phase.

* If the Americans lose to Algeria, they will have only 2 points and will be eliminated.

Under World Cup rules, the first tie-breaker if teams are tied in points is goal difference. If that is tied, the team that scored more goals gets the nod. If that is tied, there are a few head-to-head tie breakers before a drawing of lots determines which team goes through.That makes "Prefect Sence"

Exon

Rev BS
06-20-10, 11:31
Now is the time to concentrate on Paraguayan pussies, they should be in good mood after the win over Slovakia, and the humping should be more spirited for sure.

El Perro
06-20-10, 13:28
As the World Cup progress to the 2nd round, we are seeing the humbling of the traditional European soccer powers. Loaded with high paying stars, Italy, France, Germany and England have not been able produce the soccer that these same players have produced for their clubs. Perhaps, Spain can make a return to the soccer they have been producing the last 2 years.

So what gives? The long soccer season? Stars not given their club roles? What is clear, the rest of the world is catching up. There are no more automatic wins anymore. Hope somebody saw the trend and make a killing betting that way.After Paraguay's win today, the South American teams remain undefeated. Very impressive.

France is a good example of the mess in Europe. A lame duck nutjob coach, one player sent home yesterday for an expletive filled tirade directed at the coach, apparently a coaching staff member left today, and they had to cheat with an obvious handball to even squeak by Ireland to make it to the WC to begin with.

And, they have these strange black electric tape looking stripes on their jerseys that remind me of some sort of B & D reference.

El Perro
06-20-10, 13:58
Italy tied by New Zealand 1-1. Italy is on thin ice. All of these draws have not done much to separate teams in many groups, which will lead to a very interesting last round of group matches.

Now if only the Ivory Coast could pull off a miracle and beat Brazil.

Kevins
06-20-10, 14:48
More surprisingly ALL (including USA and Mexico) of the teams from all the Americas are undefeated. That is really amazing.

Schmoj
06-20-10, 15:16
More surprisingly ALL (including USa and Mexico) of the teams from all the Americas are undefeated. That is really amazing.Honduras lost to Chile. But it still impressive.

Damman
06-20-10, 15:25
Now if only the Ivory Coast could pull off a miracle and beat Brazil.Your Brazilian Visa has been revoked, effective immediately.

El Perro
06-20-10, 18:35
More inept referring on display in the Brazil / Ivory coast match. Appalling. Not that it made all that much difference. Brazil was the better team by far.

The South Americans remain undefeated. Let's see if Chile can keep the streak going tomorrow.

Rev BS
06-21-10, 00:19
Some interesting matches today, is N Korea more than a 1 match wonder? Can Spain show it's true personality and dazzle us?

You have to give Brazil the kudos they deserve, uplifiting us with their entertaining soccer. Braziian soccer, like their women, have the instinctive and infectious joy of the pleasures of life.

Big Travel Guy
06-21-10, 00:39
Some interesting matches today, is N Korea more than a 1 match wonder? Can Spain show it's true personality and dazzle us?I, for one, have a major bet on the "Iberian Peninsula" tomorrow. Had to lay big odds, in the case of Portugal vs. The DPKR, and absurd odds for Spain vs. a Honduras team which I though was the worst side I saw in the entire first round of games. But that's my bet.

For those of you following my adventures, I also am trying to play the South American trend and taking Chile over a presumably fairly happy and hopefully complacent Switzerland. At least in the case of this game, I GET 1.3 to 1 odds. (I lose if they draw)

Rev BS
06-21-10, 01:21
[QUOTE=Black Shirt]Some interesting matches today, is N Korea more than a 1 match wonder? Can Spain show it's true personality and dazzle us?

QUOTE]I, for one, have a major bet on the "Iberian Peninsula" tomorrow. Had to lay big odds, in the case of Portugal vs. The DPKR, and absurd odds for Spain vs. A Honduras team which I though was the worst side I saw in the entire first round of games. But that's my bet.

For those of you following my adventures, I also am trying to play the South American trend and taking Chile over a presumably fairly happy and hopefully complacent Switzerland. At least in the case of this game, I GET 1.3 to 1 odds. (I lose if they draw)Good luck, like to see people in the money. For me, watching games are more pleasurable independent of having a wager on the game, but I do enjoy wagering as well.

WorldTravel69
06-21-10, 05:28
Maybe some one should do like they do in S. A. on bad calls.

That ref's Wikipedia page already assaulted.

El Perro
06-21-10, 11:11
Maybe somesone should do like they do S. A. On bad calls.That ref has not called a game since. He was the "sideline" ref in a match yesterday. No whistle.

It is disgusting the way fucking arrogant FIFA doesn't respond publicly to the problems with refs. The ref in the Brazil / Ivory Coast match stunk to high heaven as well.

A few weeks ago a horrible call by a baseball umpire cost a pitcher a perfect game. The next day, after seeing the tape, the umpire apologized, the pitcher graciously accepted the apology, and the whole thing was resolved as best as possible.

Of course, while we are on the topic of overly powerful, arrogant, money grubbing sports organizations, let us not overlook the NFL. Pushing now for an 18 game season, not to mention the rest of their fascist shit. Even worse now than during the "North Dallas 40" days.

El Perro
06-21-10, 12:39
Another undeserved red card, this time for a Swiss player. Honest to God, the refs in the first division of Argentina futbol are better week in and week out than many of these gutless, supposed hotshot refs we have seen at the WC.

Big Travel Guy
06-21-10, 20:17
OK, bear with me on this, and use a little imagination, but it's not so crazy:

Making some assumptions / predictions, I see Uruguay as winner of Group A, Brazil as the winner of Group G, Argentina as the winner of Group be, and Paraguay as the winner of Group F. (Uruguay and Brazil are the shakiest of these predictions; they'll both advance, but to win their Groups, Uruguay would need a win or--probably sufficient--a draw vs. Mexico, and Brazil would have to beat or draw with a suddenly pretty scary looking Portugal team)

To make it to the semi finals, Uruguay probably needs wins over South Korea, and then the winner of a USA / Serbia game. QUITE POSSIBLE. Brazil has the hardest route: I see them having to face Spain, and then the Netherlands / Italy winner--doesn't get much tougher, but they were the pre-cup favorite, so they will be favored in both matches. Argentina is probably looking at Mexico, and then the winner of Germany / England. Plenty of opportunity for them to lose there, but hey? Maybe? And Paraguay, who looks pretty good, may need to beat Japan and then the winner of a Switzerland / Portugal match.

The chances of these four teams all being placed in four different quadrants of the knockout round are just what they are--chances--and then that they would all win their two games requires a lot of soccer luck, but none of what I've spelled out here is crazy?

Final four at the 2010 World Cup: Uruguay vs. Brazil, Argentina vs. Paraguay.

Nuts, no!

Rev BS
06-22-10, 06:19
I, for one, have a major bet on the "Iberian Peninsula" tomorrow. Had to lay big odds, in the case of Portugal vs. The DPKR, and absurd odds for Spain vs. a Honduras team which I though was the worst side I saw in the entire first round of games. But that's my bet.

For those of you following my adventures, I also am trying to play the South American trend and taking Chile over a presumably fairly happy and hopefully complacent Switzerland. At least in the case of this game, I GET 1.3 to 1 odds. (I lose if they draw)Congrats, nice sweep.

El Perro
06-22-10, 14:44
Unless the near impossible happens this afternoon, Argentina will play Mexico Sunday afternoon, 3:30PM.

Big Travel Guy
06-22-10, 15:15
I know it's not real helpful to tell people about a great bet AFTER the game has been played (and the money been made) but how easy was it to bet against France today? Getting odds to do so, no less.

That French team, and its fractured psyche--what an unholy mess!

El Queso
06-22-10, 17:59
Final four at the 2010 World Cup: Uruguay vs. Brazil, Argentina vs. Paraguay.The second fantasy game there is certainly what we are hoping for in my household, and with a win by Paraguay. Although we have sympathies with Argentina, obviously because we live here, we figure the perfect ending would be Paraguay winning the cup with Argentina somewhere below:)

And my sister-in-law's school mates who tell her just about every day how crappy the "dirty" Paraguayan team is (the young Argentinos' words, not mine) and how embarrassing that Paraguay managed to even tie the previous world cup winner Italy in their first game - well, thats what fantasy picks in the most literal sense of the world are for, eh? It would go well with the last game between the two teams when Paraguay won, before the cup.

:)

El Perro
06-23-10, 12:39
USA robbed of a goal again on a phantom offside call. Let up already!

Wild Walleye
06-23-10, 13:50
USA robbed of a goal again on a phantom offside call. Let up already!I am not sure why the official didn't disallow that goal scored by Donovan in stoppage time.

Big Travel Guy
06-23-10, 13:57
Now, if you want to make some money: One interesing bet is the USA to win their group. Last I checked, you get about 4:1 on that prospect.I can't tell if I should feel real, real lucky, or if I should be pissed that I even NEEDED that much luck in the first place (I. E. phantom disallowed goals)

Wild Walleye
06-23-10, 14:02
That game was more dramatic than I needed. One of the most exciting games I have ever seen (of course, having a dog in the fight makes it more so)

What a great metaphor for America in general. Overcoming huge obstacles, many imposed by misguide and perhaps malicious regulators, for victory in the end.

Between the disallowed goal and the three freebies they missed, it could have been 5-nil, yet I'll take a 1-nil win in stoppage. They might want to tighten up the finishing between now and the next match. Can't be giving away those chances anymore.

They top the group so hopefully Germany will finish first or third in Group D.

Damman
06-23-10, 14:15
And the winner for best World Cup drama is. U. S. A. Did not think I could get so caught up in this soccer stuff. Fuck me, that was quite a match.

El Perro
06-23-10, 14:53
Justice is done. Now, for this afternoon. Are the Germans really as good as is usually the case, or can we see surprises this afternoon? Stay tuned.

With this victory the USA has had a successful WC. I hope for more and more, but getting out of the group stage is always a success for the USA. It cements their move out of the class of pretenders.

How 'bout that Palermo!

Rev BS
06-23-10, 21:58
What a game! The drama of the Algerians almost scoring before Howard sent the ball down the other way and the US scoring.

Stinger
06-24-10, 16:27
What comes next for the US is just as interesting. The final 16 are going to be in groups of 4, with one from each group making a semi. With the U. S. Are Ghana, South Korea, and Uruguay. Very lucky, as the other group already put together is Argentina, Mexico, Germany, and England. Also, the first game for the US is Ghana, which the US lost to in group play in 2006 and which kept the US from advancing to the knockout. If they could somehow win that, the next game could be South Korea, which won the US' group in 2002 and made it to the semis themselves. Both games would be grudge match / payback time. In the semis, the US could play Brazil or the Netherlands or Paraguay, so they most surely would not get past that. Argentina would not be faced until the final, as they are in the other half. Contrary to what I said before, the Argentines are playing great and could make the final. With a lot of the Euros being weak, a Brazil-Argentina final is a definite possibility. Can you imagine how South America would go nuts if that happened?

Stinger

El Perro
06-24-10, 16:31
Italy ousted and joins France as old guard European wannabees.

Still no South American losers, as Paraguay had a draw today. That South American run will be put to the test tomorrow when Chile takes on Spain. If the Chilenos lose they could be out despite having won their first two matches.

Gearing up for the weekend as the stakes get raised. Cigar Eric will be glued to the tube as the rehabbed Nazis take on the Limeys. The frenchies and wops will be bottoms up in wine, and moaning.

Schmoj
06-24-10, 20:57
Italy ousted and joins France as old guard European wannabees.Italy's loss today was the highlight of the World Cup for me.

Wild Walleye
06-25-10, 00:13
I think that the strongest teams (based on what I have seen) are Brazil, Argentina and Portugal. I thought Germany looked beatable. I have not had a chance to see the Dutch play yet, but getting out of their group with 9pts says a great deal.

I can see a scenario with the US getting past Ghana and South Korea or Uruguay but it gets a little murky after that. While the US could have (and should have were it not for 'poor' (being generous here) officiating) finished at the top of their group (which I know they did anyway) with 7pts, I do not think that they have the 'mojo' to run with the big dogs of LatAm. Technically, they could stay close to the Netherlands or Germany (although I would wager that they would lose to either) but when the Hispanic (traditional not contemporary definition - a la lineage to hispania) teams (include Portugal in this group) start to spread them out.

Schmoj
06-25-10, 00:34
I can see a scenario with the US getting past Ghana and South Korea or Uruguay but it gets a little murky after that. While the US could have (and should have were it not for 'poor' (being generous here) officiating) finished at the top of their group (which I know they did anyway) with 7pts, I do not think that they have the 'mojo' to run with the big dogs of LatAm. Technically, they could stay close to the Netherlands or Germany (although I would wager that they would lose to either) but when the Hispanic (traditional not contemporary definition - a la lineage to hispania) teams (include Portugal in this group) start to spread them out.We don't agree much on politics, economics, etc. But I think here we pretty much agree. I think the US will have a psychological block to overcome to beat someone like Netherlands, Germany, Argentina, etc.

I think Argentina suffers from the same problem. In 2006, they lost to Germany, even though they had a better team. The seemed scared to death in the match. This year, they looked pretty crisp in group play, so we'll see.

Rooting for Chile tomorrow. I'd like to see Big Travel Guy's dream scenario of a southern cone final four play out at least a little further. Would also love to see Spain going home.

Enjoy!

Jackjack1
06-25-10, 02:07
BTG.

Its USA vs England.

If you remember that there will be 5 milllion Scotsmen cheering for you next week!Haha, so true Johnny Walker!

Jack

Rev BS
06-25-10, 02:20
Before World Cup 2010 started, Brazil and Spain were the 2 top favorites. And now, the 2 teams could end up playing in the 2nd round. Brazil and Portugal will play earlier to decide the winner of Group G. In Group H, it looks like Switzerland is a shoo-in playing Honduras, leaving Spain with no option but to beat Chile who needs a tie to get through.

So where are the suitcases with the dollars? $200K for each Honduran player to beat Switzerland!

El Perro
06-25-10, 08:26
I'd love to see Chile beat Spain today. C'Mon!

A stat indicating what kind of history the USA has at the WC-they have not won two straight matches since 1930. They have a tremendous chance to do that now versus Ghana.

Schmoj points out that Argentina has had a bad case of the nerves in the past when they reach this level at the WC. I think most people who follow the game would agree, and also this seems to be the big difference made by Maradona. For all his negatives, he does deflect a helluva lot of focus away from the players, and he has also clearly been able to instill a loosey-goosey atmosphere. We will see if that holds up. Mexico always plays Argentina tough.

Master J
06-25-10, 16:55
Now that was a great goal by Spain.

Master J
06-25-10, 17:08
The second goal was very nice as well. Espana!

Rev BS
06-26-10, 01:04
Some drooling games coming up, hope they live up to expectations. Germany and England resuming World War II, and the Koreans and Japanese trying to show that they can play as good as they make cars. USA & Mexico trying to say that the home front is not as bad as it looks. But it is the year of the South Americans, all 5 entries still aive and kicking. Holland, Spain & Portugal are the new European upstarts, they might make the spoil the ending.

Rev BS
06-27-10, 00:32
Well, here we go. USA found a very physical Ghana to be extremely difficult to play against. Both teams had chances to win, but it was Ghana that found the magic at extra time with a superb goal. The other game followed a similar script as Chile scored late against South Korea. Both games were hard-fought games, I could actually feel the pain of the hard crunching tackles. The losers can go home with their heads held high.

Are you guys actually cheering for Maradona now? Be sure to use Argentina's success to get some generous bargains from the girls, I would use the euphoria to get some concessions from them.

Schmoj
06-27-10, 01:47
This was a disappointing loss for the US. Sure, they made it out of their group, but this is a game the US could have (and probably should have) won. As I said before, the US seems to have a psychological barrier the prohibits them from performing in the WC. I didn't expect them to win the WC, but I did expect them to win this game.

The first half was horrible. They were slow getting to the ball and sloppy on defense, which Ghana took advantage of. They played well the second half, but then back to sloppy defense in the 1st overtime. Ghana again took advantage.

I guess this is really as much as we can expect from USA football.

Speaking of psychological blocks, we'll see how Argentina performs. Mexico is also known to choke in the WC. I predict Argentina will beat them and lose to Germany.

It's 2006 all over again. Well, except the France and Italy part.:-)

Schmoj
06-27-10, 02:13
Here is an interesting article:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/a-world-cup-mentality/

My favorite quote: "So this is my month to be a citizen of the world — and suffer through an unfair neurotic sport with everyone else."

Reaction to Donovan's goal against Algeria, in Nebraska of all places:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfS9kbyfiMM

El Perro
06-27-10, 11:44
Here we go. Huge day of futbol. Mouth watering matchup between England and Germany. Can Argentina continue their impressive run against a Mexico squad that many are giving little chance?

I preferred the Argentina of two months ago that was being belittled by many. The Maradona that was criticized up, down and all around. Now, they are in the favorites role and Maradona has not been kind to today's opponent, with some disparaging remarks.

There are no walks in the park at this stage.

El Perro
06-27-10, 13:05
I repeat, who ARE these guys? The ball about a meter into the goal and neither the referee or the linesman can see it! And, England needs all the help they can get. Without Rio Ferdinand their backline is horrible.

Rev BS
06-27-10, 13:11
I repeat, who ARE these guys? The ball about a meter into the goal and neither the referee or the linesman can see it! And, England needs all the help they can get. Without Rio Ferdinand their backline is horrible.The ghosts of 1966 is back to haunt England.

Rev BS
06-27-10, 14:23
Based on this game, can anyone tell me why the pound is valued over the dollar and as much as double about a year ago?

The England team, over valued, over-paid, the reputations of a past empire still somehow managing to give them some credence. It was said that this young German team would have been more ready in another 2 years. But we saw a very poised German team today, and their deadly counter attacks exposed an aged England team. Like it's economy, like Mick Jagger who we saw at the game.

Argentina vs Mexico, who to cheer? Well, we have the sentimental factor playing here, chicas can really mess up your rationalizing powers. I had alot of fun in Tijuana back in the 80s and 90s, and Argentina in the last decade, and I am everlasting grateful to their women for their faith in me. I know, money talks, you don't have to remind me. Well, I think I am going to leave it to the gods of soccer!

Damman
06-27-10, 16:33
I am inclined to pull for Mexico. Like a lot of arrogant motor-mouth "Super Powers", they under-estimate their opponents. Mexico is young and full of cum.

Big Travel Guy
06-27-10, 16:49
I repeat, who ARE these guys? The ball about a meter into the goal and neither the referee or the linesman can see it! And, England needs all the help they can get. Without Rio Ferdinand their backline is horrible.That missed goal call was the 2nd worst thing I saw this morning. England's defense was the single worst thing.

Flyfast
06-27-10, 18:25
Mexico failed hard. Argentina is peaking at the right time. I'd love to be in BsAs when / if Brazil v. Argentina in the final.

El Greco
06-29-10, 13:16
That missed goal call was the 2nd worst thing I saw this morning. England's defense was the single worst thing.Guys you are wrong. See the picture.

Jackson
06-29-10, 15:19
The FIFA has reacted to their terrible officiating by ordering the stadiums to stop displaying game replays on their giant screens:

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/article/2010-06-28/fifa-cracks-down-on-stadium-screen-broadcasts

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/06/28/sports-soc-wcup-stadium-screens_7724834.html?boxes=financechannelAP

...but they still can't find the fortitude to stop the stupid fucking vuvuzelas.

TejanoLibre
06-29-10, 18:46
The FIFA has reacted to their terrible officiating by ordering the stadiums to stop displaying game replays on their giant screens:

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/article/2010-06-28/fifa-cracks-down-on-stadium-screen-broadcasts

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/06/28/sports-soc-wcup-stadium-screens_7724834.html?boxes=financechannelAP

. But they still can't find the fortitude to stop the stupid fucking vuvuzelas.I REALLY hate those fucking horns!

My neighbor has one!

My dog wants to kill him too!

TL

Damman
07-01-10, 16:53
Trash talking is heating this match up.

TejanoLibre
07-01-10, 17:02
Trash talking is heating this match up.And to think that Juan Peron was nice enough to issue 8,800 BLANK Argentine Passports to their grandfathers!

The least that they could do is say Thanks by losing the game!

TL

El Perro
07-01-10, 17:51
Trash talking is heating this match up.The germans are nervous.

In addition, there is a video out from their last match showing their coach picking his nose and eating a booger. The germans-pissing all over each other to beat the band and eating boogers. What a crew.

Nice cars though.

Rev BS
07-02-10, 06:56
Wow, was able to catch up on my sleep finally with the break in action. So we are down to the last 8, and the match-ups could not be more exciting. Brazil should win but need a break-out game from Robinho or Kaka, otherwise Netherlands could win in a penalty shoot-out. I will take Ghana over Uruguay in a toss-up game. Underachieving Argentina should beat an overachieving Germany, but I am still waiting for Messi to be a Pele. Spain seems to be the best bet of the 4 games, they just have too much game for Paraguay.

El Perro
07-02-10, 13:58
The gangster mentality Brazilians have been eliminated. Yes! Excellent news for futbol in my opinion. Now let's see if the old guard in Brazil get their way and get Dunga booted. If you play defense first in Brazil and win the WC, you might get retained, but if you play "ugly" futbol and lose to Holland, well, I predict Dunga will be fired, and good riddance.

Schmoj
07-02-10, 14:39
Felipe Melo is by far Holland's best player. It's too bad they can't keep him.

El Perro
07-02-10, 14:41
Felipe Melo is by far Holland's best player. It's too bad they can't keep him.I think they could have him for cheap at the moment.;)

Rev BS
07-02-10, 14:54
The gangster mentality Brazilians have been eliminated. Yes! Excellent news for futbol in my opinion. Now let's see if the old guard in Brazil get their way and get Dunga booted. If you play defense first in Brazil and win the WC, you might get retained, but if you play "ugly" futbol and lose to Holland, well, I predict Dunga will be fired, and good riddance.Brazil did lose their cool after the game was tied by Holland. Amazingly so, they still had alot of time to come back. Melo is the scapegoat here. Their first half was beautiful football at its highest level, but with only 1 goal, they left the door open for trouble, and it came with that unfortunate own goal. So I don't understand what "ugly futbol" you are talking about. This Brazil team is a a better offensive team than the Brazil that won in 1994 when Dunga was the hatchet man there.

As much as I like Holland, I never thought they were going to score. But credit to Holland for their "snapping at the heels" play. In the end, it was a tale of two contrasting halves.

El Perro
07-02-10, 15:08
So I don't understand what "ugly futbol" you are talking about. This Brazil team is a a better offensive team than the Brazil that won in 1994 when Dunga was the hatchet man there. As coached by Dunga, Brazil plays a power game based on a very stout defense, coupled with lightening fast, lethal counterattacks. And they do it very well, but it doesn't lend itself to playing from behind. Today was the first time they had been behind in the WC. They have incredibly talented players and they play "beautifully" at times. But, their approach under Dunga has been to foul incessantly when the opposition's attack reaches midfield. Kicking, kicking and more kicking. Then they become incensed when they get booked. LOTS of entitlement with this squad.

Don't take my word for it. Chat up some futbol savvy Brazilians. Most of them hate the way Brazil plays now.

Schmoj
07-02-10, 15:42
The gangster mentality Brazilians have been eliminated. Yes! Excellent news for futbol in my opinion. Now let's see if the old guard in Brazil get their way and get Dunga booted. If you play defense first in Brazil and win the WC, you might get retained, but if you play "ugly" futbol and lose to Holland, well, I predict Dunga will be fired, and good riddance.Dunga already resigned after this WC, no? I saw the headlines on TyC that he resigned, but I think that was already decided.

I think an own goal AND a red card make Melo a little more than just a scapegoat, but I agree with you Black Shirt that they played horribly the second half.

Still, it was an exciting game to watch. I hope Uruguay / Ghana provides the same excitement. Vamos Uruguay!

Rev BS
07-02-10, 19:35
The raw power of Africa calls for a winner, and Ghana was going to be the answer. Yet, like the continent, reality and history is cruel. The need for just a little sophistication and maturity was absent as Gyan penalty was a risky powerful high shot when a tap-in was all that was needed. Uruguay, great escape artiste, is laughing all the way to the bank.

Bad news, I was 0-2 today. No Veron tomorrow, please! Otherwise, Argentina can mail in the the loss.

Damman
07-02-10, 21:08
No Brazil. Was Mick Jagger in the stadium?

Schmoj
07-02-10, 22:46
No Veron tomorrow, please! Otherwise, Argentina can mail in the the loss.I want to see Veron tomorrow as a substitute in the 86th minute when Argentina is up 3-0.

Big Travel Guy
07-02-10, 23:08
Not exactly an original thought, or one that's going to collect a long odds, but you heard it here first. It's Brazil.Ooops, again.

WorldTravel69
07-03-10, 03:31
He is the best.

He takes all the heat, not the team.

Smart.

Rev BS
07-03-10, 10:29
No Brazil. Was Mick Jagger in the stadium?It was Tiny Tim that jinxed Brazil, the samba was definitely out of wack. Sadly, I am out of wack, too. Had a dry run last night, you know what I mean!

Damman
07-03-10, 13:54
"Turn out the lights the party's over they say that all good things must end.

Let's call it a night the party's over and tomorrow starts the same old thing again"

Master J
07-03-10, 14:36
He is the best.

He takes all the heat, not the team.

Smart.WT,

I have always been a big fan, but I think you got this one wrong. I grew up in an era where Vince Lombardi, John Wooden, and perhaps Bill Walsh would say nothing and just prepare their team to be ready for battle. Their result speak for themselves. Besides did he not get booted from a world cup for failing a drug test years ago?

When I heard Maradona taunting the Germans last night with "They must be nervousshhh" to me that was the last thing you would want to do to an already very talented squad.

I was in BA last September when they were barely qualifying and the word on the street was he was not the chosen one. They gave it a run.

I did not watch the second half, went back to bed. Was it me or did Messi look tight?

I would like to see Paraguay vs Uruguay, but the dutch look very good. Guaranis to win?

Rev BS
07-03-10, 18:05
Well, Maradona does not get the summons to f--k Christina, I was hoping to see it on you-tube. Personally, I don't know how the Germans lost World War II.

Master J
07-03-10, 18:32
I am absolutely hooked on watching this level of competition. The drama of today and last night was tremendous!

How wonderful to be able to watch 45 minutes of SPORTS vs the Amercian version of sports combined with commercial glade, taco, f***king breakings.

And how much have the screwed up what used to be a great event, the super bowl. I think the half time show was close to an hour! Won't see that here.

This is great sport and sportsmanship. I am enjoying it immensely.

I think they should allow the vuvuzela at wimbleton and golf matches!

Toughen up those sissies, Isner and Mahout excluded

Big Travel Guy
07-03-10, 18:45
But they played better than Paraguay, and deserved to win. But they didn't play THAT much better. While it would have been easy to see 3:0, it could also, in that comedy of penalty kicks, etc. Have been 1:1 and in overtime right now.

Jackpot
07-03-10, 23:33
DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES.

Jackpot

Thomaso276
07-04-10, 11:37
10. Misspelling on #10 Jersey: Messy not Messi.

9. Suitcase with $800,000 for the referees got confiscated at airport.

8. German players yelled "Falklands" everytime they got the ball.

7. Barrabravas beat up fans from Ghana by mistake.

6. Referee thought spanish term for "I was fouled" was "my bad"

5. Argentina check for World Cup 1/4 finals entry fee bounced.

4. Marradona told team it was okay to use the "Hand of God" play at every opportunity.

3. Christina could not attend because of botox appointment.

2. Argentinas' defensive strategy for the game was "we need to score 5 goals to win".

1. At dinner the night before the game, taller German players used Argie players' heads for cupholders.

Flexible Horn
07-04-10, 17:45
This world cup for most football diehards has been a huge disappointment with most of the so called world superstars underperforming.

I hope it's a Holland v Germany final probably on performances they deserve to contest the final, and I think Germany will win, the only reason being they can't win wars so they have to win at something.

, I don't know how the Germans lost World War II.

Exon123
07-04-10, 18:37
In about a month "Real" Football starts.

Exon

Flexible Horn
07-04-10, 19:10
In about a month "Real" Football starts.

ExonExon my old mate I'll wager an American team wins next years super bowl.

Master J
07-04-10, 21:08
I was in Las Vegas on March 1 and the Harrahs odds for winning the world cup on teams of interest were:

Spain 3/1

Brazil 5/2

Argentina 5/1

England 3/1

Germany 5/1

Italy 4/1

Netherlands 6/1

France 12/1

Paraguay 35/1

USA 12/1

Mexico 15/1

Ghana 50/1

Uruguay 70/1

Seems the last one would have given you a thrill for your bet.

The wikepedia stats on total views of the 2006 World Cup were 26.29 billion and the finals were seen by 715.1 million. The World Cup, the Olympics, the Euro Cup and probably even the Oscars outrank the Super Bowl in worldwide TV audience.

I enjoy football but frankly this waterdowned version of celebrating on every play turns me off a bit. Great athlete who have become entertainers. Now it's not just the game, but fantasy stats at the bottom of the screen, blah, blah, blah.

Not holding up too well in these modern days.

Master J
07-04-10, 23:06
Police in Colombia have seized a replica World Cup trophy - made from 11 kilos of cocaine.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Cocaine-World-Cup-Police-In-Colombia-Seize-A-Replica-Trophy-Made-From-Class-A-Drug-At-Bogota/Article/201007115659037

At least South America is still in the running in some categories.

Rev BS
07-05-10, 01:52
In the post mortem of Argentina World Cup fiasco, the omission of Javier Zanetti, captain of Inter Milan and Argentina (often) winner of the Champion's League 2010, is the biggest factor in Argentina's downfall. True, he had played quite a few of the qualifying and exhibition games when Argentina was struggling, but so did Messi. Calm, respected, versatile, enduring, he would have been exactly what they needed.

So what was the reason Maradona omitted him along with Cambiasso (also of Inter Milan) And at the last minute, too. That must have been very sickening. At his age, 37, there will likely be no more chances. There were no public disputes between them as the case of Riquelme.

Anybody privy to that story?

Flexible Horn
07-05-10, 03:47
I was in Las Vegas on March 1 and the Harrahs odds for winning the world cup on teams of interest were:

Spain 3/1

Brazil 5/2

Argentina 5/1

England 3/1

Germany 5/1

Italy 4/1

Netherlands 6/1

France 12/1I hope you have made a mistake with your odds because they stink just the 8 teams above at those odds is a 190% book.

I had my bets on betfair and had Brazil at 5.8, Argentina at 7.6, Holland at 16-1 and 30-1 and Germany at 16-1.

If you do play look at that site much better odds than your las vegas ripoff.

Rock Harders
07-05-10, 05:54
Mongers-

Flexible Horn is right in that those odds given by Harrah's were a complete joke; before the tournament I was able to get 100-1 on Paraguay and 125-1 on Uruguay (sportsbook.com) to win the World Cup. My 125-1 longshot Uruguay squad is still alive and only two VERY tough wins away from paying off. Compare these great value odds with the odds offered for Brasil (5-1) England (4.5-1) Argentina (6.5-1) and Germany (9-1) and you can see why I put my money on Paraguay and Uruguay.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

El Perro
07-05-10, 10:03
In the post mortem of Argentina World Cup fiasco, the omission of Javier Zanetti, captain of Inter Milan and Argentina (often) winner of the Champion's League 2010, is the biggest factor in Argentina's downfall. True, he had played quite a few of the qualifying and exhibition games when Argentina was struggling, but so did Messi. Calm, respected, versatile, enduring, he would have been exactly what they needed.

So what was the reason Maradona omitted him along with Cambiasso (also of Inter Milan) And at the last minute, too. That must have been very sickening. At his age, 37, there will likely be no more chances. There were no public disputes between them as the case of Riquelme. Anybody privy to that story?Right on the money. Maradona never gave an explanation for not picking Zanetti (interesting to note that Pekerman didn't pick him either four years ago) As for Cambiasso, Maradona said, "Cambiasso doesn't seduce me". Astonishing really that Maradona did not pick a player who plays the position of right back (Zanetti's position) He tried to play Gutierrez there, but that's is not his natural position. Then he went to Otamendi, who plays center back for Velez, again, not right back. Gutierrez was woeful and Maradona sat him, and Otamendi was OK against lesser competition, but was horrendous against Germany. Not his fault, Maradona's fault.

As for players picked, and not picked, there was a ton of discussion in Argentina about all of this. Not just about Zanetti and Cambiasso, but also the decision not to take either Pablo Aimar or Ever Banega. Instead Maradona went with Veron, who stars in Argentina, but whose best international days have been long over.

Eurotrashy27
07-05-10, 14:12
What are the chances Maradona stays on as coach?

(or does he fall on his sword)

I would love to be in BA to talk with some Argies about this.

Easy Go
07-05-10, 14:59
I have read that Zanetti and Cambiasso were left off the squad because they have issues with Vernon and Maradona felt he couldn't piss off Veron. If true, it's a shame as Vernon didn't look up to the task physically and was quickly relegated to the bench. There was an injury story but given the way he was playing, it would appear to have been just a way to save face.

I thought Argentina did pretty well to get to the quarterfinals. They have great strikers but pretty much everything else was suspect.

El Perro
07-05-10, 15:23
I have read that Zanetti and Cambiasso were left off the squad because they have issues with Vernon and Maradona felt he couldn't piss off Veron. If true, it's a shame as Vernon didn't look up to the task physically and was quickly relegated to the bench. There was an injury story but given the way he was playing, it would appear to have been just a way to save face.

I thought Argentina did pretty well to get to the quarterfinals. They have great strikers but pretty much everything else was suspect.I forgot about the supposed feud between Veron and Zanetti / Cambiasso. That could be the case. Though choosing Veron over those two was a BIG mistake. My guess is that Maradona, for whatever reason, didn't cozy up to them. Not to bash Maradona, but both Cambiasso and Zanetti are consummate professionals and maybe a little too "polished" for Maradona. Also worth noting that there were rumors that Cambiasso is gay, which I don't buy. But, Maradona is a big homophobe.

El Perro
07-05-10, 15:28
What are the chances Maradona stays on as coach?

(or does he fall on his sword)

I would love to be in BA to talk with some Argies about this.I think Maradona's contract runs into mid to late 2011 at $100,000US a month. He may want to hang on to his job a little while longer.;) Though also worth pointing out that he could quit any second, and may actually not give a shit about the money. A hard to figure guy. He also owes millions of dollars in back taxes in Italy. Not that he gives a shit about that either.

Rev BS
07-05-10, 19:14
Gabriel Millito was red hot as Inter Milan closed out their historic season with the treble in Serie A, and had 2 sensational goals in the Champions League Final. He should have been brought in very early in the World Cup to see if he could continue his streak. Higuain was Maradona's man, and other than the easy 3 goals against Korea, I really didn't think he was impressive.

Isn't it a coincidence that we talk and saw so much about players from Inter Milan, Maicon, Zanetti, Ciambiasso, Sneijder, Millito, Julio Cesar, Lucio, Mutieri, Stankovic, Eto'o. I think Inter Milan could have won the World Cup.

El Perro
07-05-10, 20:16
Gabriel Millito was red hot as Inter Milan closed out their historic season with the treble in Serie A, and had 2 sensational goals in the Champions League Final. He should have been brought in very early in the World Cup to see if he could continue his streak. Higuain was Maradona's man, and other than the easy 3 goals against Korea, I really didn't think he was impressive.

Isn't it a coincidence that we talk and saw so much about players from Inter Milan, Maicon, Zanetti, Ciambiasso, Sneijder, Millito, Julio Cesar, Lucio, Mutieri, Stankovic, Eto'o. I think Inter Milan could have won the World Cup.Hey Black Shirt-I agree, but I know you mean Diego Milito, not his brother Gabriel. Diego being another one of those players who are maybe a little too polished for Maradona. Alot of people think that if Messi and Milito were given enough playing time together they would be a dynamic duo.

Schmoj
07-05-10, 23:48
I think Maradona's contract runs into mid to late 2011 at $100,000US a month. He may want to hang on to his job a little while longer.;) Though also worth pointing out that he could quit any second, and may actually not give a shit about the money. A hard to figure guy. He also owes millions of dollars in back taxes in Italy. Not that he gives a shit about that either.I would love to see the Prima Donna gone, but his head is way too big, both metaphorically and literally.

Rev BS
07-06-10, 04:22
I was viewing the hand-ball by Luis Suarez of Uruguay of a SURE goal that would have put Ghana ahead with only minutes left in the game, It probably would have been a win to put them in the semi-finals, the first African country to get that far.

Would you agree on a rule change, that upon further review, the refreee can award an automatic goal in cases like this one. Penalty kicks should continue to be awarded for other type of fouls.

El Perro
07-06-10, 10:02
I was viewing the hand-ball by Luis Suarez of Uruguay of a SURE goal that would have put Ghana ahead with only minutes left in the game, It probably would have been a win to put them in the semi-finals, the first African country to get that far.

Would you agree on a rule change, that upon further review, the refreee can award an automatic goal in cases like this one. Penalty kicks should continue to be awarded for other type of fouls.I think to change the rule would be a knee jerk reaction, and when you think it through would result in a complete mess. There are handballs in the area all the time that result in straight reds and expulsions. Players stick out their arms and elbows to deflect shots frequently. If you were to change the rule it would result in refs having to determine what exactly is an "automatic" goal and what is not. And then having to fine tune an impossible to fine tune criteria.

For me, there never should be an "automatic" goal. The Ghana dude fucked up by clanging the penalty shot off the crossbar. You can look at it as a cruel thing, but I like the "cruelty" in futbol. Only three substitutions. Once you are out of the match-you are out! And the best- the relegation system. If your team finishes at the bottom, you are "relegated" to the next lower division.

Damman
07-06-10, 11:53
Never hear anyone talk about Martin Palermo. It seems he was a clutch player in the work-ups and got the win when Argentina played Greece. I always thought he was one of the best for Argentina. Was surprised Maradona never threw him into the mix Saturday.

El Perro
07-06-10, 12:15
Never hear anyone talk about Martin Palermo. It seems he was a clutch player in the work-ups and got the win when Argentina played Greece. I always thought he was one of the best for Argentina. Was surprised Maradona never threw him into the mix Saturday.The Titan! One of my favorite players being a Boca fan. BUT, Palermo was a controversial choice by Maradona given that he is older and slower as time goes on. He remains a local idol and many of the locals were championing his selection, but the reality is that there were other strikers more deserving of selection than Palermo. Maradona took him to the WC more as a good luck charm, and because he knew he had tons of better strikers to put on the pitch.

All that said, nobody has a better nose for being in the right place at the right time than Palermo. I was at the Monumental during the monsoon, when Palermo scored the goal against Peru that gave the Argentina national team a shot at going to South Africa. Without that goal in the last seconds of the match, Argentina would have been home licking their wounds, and most likely Maradona would be history.

Easy Go
07-06-10, 12:32
Palermo cracks me up. It usually appears that he is standing around completely overwhelmed by the action swirling around him when the ball suddenly appears at his feat. Looking totally surprised, he gives is a little kick and it trickles into the goal. It appears that he's just a lucky guy but they say that luck favors the well-prepared and it takes a lot more than luck to become the all-time Boca goal scorer.

My guess is that if Argentina had been tied or only down a goal with 10 minutes left, we would have seen him.

Damman
07-06-10, 12:37
The Titan! One of my favorite players being a Boca fan. BUT, Palermo was a controversial choice by Maradona given that he is older and slower as time goes on. He remains a local idol and many of the locals were championing his selection, but the reality is that there were other strikers more deserving of selection than Palermo. Maradona took him to the WC more as a good luck charm, and because he knew he had tons of better strikers to put on the pitch.

All that said, nobody has a better nose for being in the right place at the right time than Palermo. I was at the Monumental during the monsoon, when Palermo scored the goal against Peru that gave the Argentina national team a shot at going to South Africa. Without that goal in the last seconds of the match, Argentina would have been home licking their wounds, and most likely Maradona would be history.Palermo kind of sounds like the Argentine version of George Blanda in American football. Old and tired, but always able to score. Anyway, it is all ancient history now. La Bombonera, what an experience.

Thanks

Schmoj
07-06-10, 15:16
For me, there never should be an "automatic" goal. The Ghana dude fucked up by clanging the penalty shot off the crossbar. You can look at it as a cruel thing, but I like the "cruelty" in futbol. Only three substitutions. Once you are out of the match-you are out! And the best- the relegation system. If your team finishes at the bottom, you are "relegated" to the next lower division.I agree with Doggboy. A red card and a penalty kick are sufficient. If you can't convert the penalty kick, you probably don't deserve to win.

Shagger123
07-06-10, 16:00
In rugby we have what we call is a "Penalty Try" that is awarded by the ref when the imminent score, (in rugby's case a try) is averted by the defender. The ref will automatically award the try. It seems to work well.

I'm not advocating this in soccer as I haven't thought about it that much but you could certainly build a tenable argument for this. I don't know the conversion rate for PKs but I would guess it is in the 80 % range + or - 5 % so you can certainly understand the rational for what Suarez did as it is by no means an automatic score.

(I would guess the PK conversion rate for the shootouts is significantly lower due to the pressure type situation and the less specialist takers having to step up. Another comment: The automatic red card for stopping the goal scoring opportunity is a relatively new rule change and I generally think it is good if the ref gets it right - another discussion. This rule change is a relatively minor tinkering and certainly much less so than the introduction of a pentaly goal)

Rev BS
07-06-10, 17:45
Very often, we see penalties given to players who are not in any position to score, the defender committing the foul through sheer stupidity (Pique of Spain) or by accident. Yes, it is impossible to judge intent. But there are clear cut cases that can be decided by video. NFL has been very successful for a long time now. There is so much at stake in the modern era, even if you want to ignore fairness.

Tennis has also become a much better sport ever since they allow players to challenge the linesman's call through hawkeye. Of course, we had fun with McEnroe's tantrums. FIFA is now bowing to pressure after burying their neck in the sand over whether the ball cross the line. It is so frustrating to see Blatter having to apologize when he was so stubborn just a few weeks ago. Bureaucrats!

Easy Go
07-06-10, 19:57
The philosophy seems to be that the job of the referee is impossible so he's going to make many bad calls but it will all even out in the end. I doubt that tinkering around the edges will change that essential nature. The only way to make a significant change would be to radically restructure the officiating which is bound to make unanticipated changes that could dramatically alter the game. Nobody is going to be willing to take the risk.

I would prefer to see the governing bodies use post-game replays to dole out suspensions for diving. It's way, way out of hand and it seems like it wouldn't take more than a couple of high-profile examples to change the behavior of the players. Expecting the referee to do it alone doesn't work since he will get it wrong so often it becomes just another random factor in the game.

Shagger123
07-06-10, 21:05
I agree, I think this is the philosophy in terms of refereeing mistakes evening themselves out - and they probably do over the long haul or over a season. (Although anyone that follows the EPL will talk about Alex Ferguson and how he has massive influence over referees especially at Old Trafford)

BUT, the kind of mistakes we've seen at this world cup are just not acceptable. There has to be a better way and, as stated, football really is the only sport left that doesn't use any technology to aid the human eye and to aid human judgement in making a split second decision which can have massive, massive implications. Rugby, tennis and cricket have all introduced technology I think succesfully without changing the unpredicatability and "fabric" of the game.

El Perro
07-06-10, 22:27
I agree, I think this is the philosophy in terms of refereeing mistakes evening themselves out - and they probably do over the long haul or over a season. (Although anyone that follows the EPL will talk about Alex Ferguson and how he has massive influence over referees especially at Old Trafford)

BUT, the kind of mistakes we've seen at this world cup are just not acceptable. There has to be a better way and, as stated, football really is the only sport left that doesn't use any technology to aid the human eye and to aid human judgement in making a split second decision which can have massive, massive implications. Rugby, tennis and cricket have all introduced technology I think succesfully without changing the unpredicatability and "fabric" of the game.I hope they put a linesman / ref behind each goal. That would help out alot with legit goals being disallowed as well as spotting diving / penalties. I think one of the big issues is that the referee in futbol has a tremendous amount of power, and I think FIFA is wary of the problems that might arise if there are disagreements between refs and linesman. Even these days linesman are often timid about making calls and often sit on a judgement unless the ref asks for their opinion.

I'm against replay technology in futbol. It's a "seamless" sport and I hope it remains that way. Then again, I hate the designated hitter, so maybe I'm too old school.

Rev BS
07-07-10, 01:53
It seems that the Netherlands is starting to grow into the designated title of the "team of destiny". Playing very solid defense and controlling the midfield, they are scoring just enough to win. With the lucky break of playing Uruguay in the SF, they have the easier route to the Final.

The Dutch match winners so far has been Sneijder and Robben, both rejects of Real Madrid, who have gone on to their best club seasons respectively. We have to wait and see if Real Madrid's outrageous spending might go the way Spain's economy has gone. I am going to pick Netherlands as the ultimate winner vs the Spain / Germany winner. It will be interesting to see how Germany will make up for the loss of Muller.

El Perro
07-07-10, 18:27
Great match! Two powerhouses put it all on the table and Spain wins out on a header by Puyol. Good move by Del Bosque to finally start Pedro instead of Torres. The defense of Spain was damn near impenetrable.

The Netherlands has looked good, but I have a hard time seeing Spain lose now.

Big Travel Guy
07-07-10, 21:37
I don't wanna talk about it. Nobody to root for here.

Master J
07-08-10, 02:05
From the outset Spain looked like a precision well coached team with a plan. I thought they dominated the pace and time of possession. Maybe I missed their earlier games but they looked very good. I felt they took Germany out of their game. I think the two of the better team are playing in the finals. I think it is a great match up. New to the sport, but loving it.

I caught this article. Does Maradona really deserve a national statue?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5359076/ce/us/argentine-lawmaker-proposes-monument-diego-maradona?cc=5901&ver=us

Rev BS
07-08-10, 02:27
I don't wanna talk about it. Nobody to root for here.Come on, just cheer for a good game. Now to the topic of Mark von Bommel, the Dutch defender who is the ultimate in the category of "ugly footballer". In the Guardian, he was described as one who would chop down his granny if she was anywhere near the ball. The fact that he has only 1 yellow card (for dissent, hahaha) is ludicrous. I would like him to be verbally warn early on and yellow carded subsequently. Anyway who has play soccer hate this type of player who is all about knocking, pushing and holding you rather than going for the ball.

El Perro
07-08-10, 10:55
Come on, just cheer for a good game. Now to the topic of Mark von Bommel, the Dutch defender who is the ultimate in the category of "ugly footballer". In the Guardian, he was described as one who would chop down his granny if she was anywhere near the ball. The fact that he has only 1 yellow card (for dissent, hahaha) is ludicrous. I would like him to be verbally warn early on and yellow carded subsequently. Anyway who has play soccer hate this type of player who is all about knocking, pushing and holding you rather than going for the ball.Here here! What an asshole he is. Between he and diving, whining Robben, I have two good reasons to root for Spain. Sneijder can be a bit of a shitbird too.

I booked a trip a week ago to Montevideo, hoping against hope that I would be there to see Uruguay in the final. Unfortunately, it'll be the third place match Saturday. So, I'll see both matches in Montevideo. Go Spain!

Rev BS
07-08-10, 11:38
Here here! What an asshole he is. Between he and diving, whining Robben, I have two good reasons to root for Spain. Sneijder can be a bit of a shitbird too.

I booked a trip a week ago to Montevideo, hoping against hope that I would be there to see Uruguay in the final. Unfortunately, it'll be the third place match Saturday. So, I'll see both matches in Montevideo. Go Spain!Great, have a good time, especially with the chicas. I was in Milan when Inter won the Champions League in May, it was fun celebrating when a whole city is overjoy.

Flexible Horn
07-08-10, 16:32
I caught this article. Does Maradona really deserve a national statue?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5359076/ce/us/argentine-lawmaker-proposes-monument-diego-maradona?cc=5901&ver=usIn the 1986 world cup Maradona scored the best goal I have ever seen in a world cup match, was voted player of the tournament and won the world cup with Argentina.

In my very humble opinion the best footballer that there has ever been. So yes a national statue is the least he deserves.

If he was English. He would now be Sir Diego Armando Maradona.

Shagger123
07-08-10, 16:50
In the 1986 world cup Maradona scored the best goal I have ever seen in a world cup match, was voted player of the tournament and won the world cup with Argentina.

In my very humble opinion the best footballer that there has ever been. So yes a national statue is the least he deserves.

If he was English. He would now be Sir Diego Armando Maradona.Yes, it was a fantastic goal although the English defending, (as usual) was crap. Maradona breezed past Peter Reid, Terry Butcher completely unchallenged. Of course, we can say, maybe rightly, that that this was because of his skill, ability to wrong foot defenders or just their shear fear of him.

In the 86 world cup he was absolutely fantastic, the goal against Belguim also was out of this world, and he pretty much made Argentina unbeatable. Not sure if I would put him as the absolute best footballer of all time, definitely top 3 in there with Pele of course, and Cruyff.

El Perro
07-08-10, 17:00
Yes, it was a fantastic goal although the English defending, (as usual) was crap. Maradona breezed past Peter Reid, Terry Butcher completely unchallenged. Of course, we can say, maybe rightly, that that this was because of his skill, ability to wrong foot defenders or just their shear fear of him.They didn't want to challenge him, miss, and be made a fool of. So they ended up looking like fools anyway!

Flexible Horn
07-08-10, 17:36
They didn't want to challenge him, miss, and be made a fool of. So they ended up looking like fools anyway!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE

I think its Peter Reid and Steve Hodge (Ex Spurs) who Maradona breezes past 1st, well if you know your football these where 2 of the slowest players around, so I don't think there was any chance of a tackle.

I 1st had the privilege of seeing him live in 1980 at Wembley, I came away from that game which I think England won 3-1 knowing I had seen a truely world class player.

This coming week on English tv is a documentry about him, where a tv crew followed him for 3 years, he talks about his drug problems, so its warts and all should be interesting.

Schmoj
07-08-10, 18:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE

This coming week on English tv is a documentry about him, where a tv crew followed him for 3 years, he talks about his drug problems, so its warts and all should be interesting.I hope they followed him to Cocodrillo!

Shagger123
07-08-10, 19:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE

I think its Peter Reid and Steve Hodge (Ex Spurs) who Maradona breezes past 1st, well if you know your football these where 2 of the slowest players around, so I don't think there was any chance of a tackle.

I 1st had the privilege of seeing him live in 1980 at Wembley, I came away from that game which I think England won 3-1 knowing I had seen a truely world class player.

This coming week on English tv is a documentry about him, where a tv crew followed him for 3 years, he talks about his drug problems, so its warts and all should be interesting.It was Reid, Butcher, Fenwick that he beat. It may be Hodge at the begining next to Reid. If you remember this England team that acquited itself very well in the last 16\QF of the 86WC was reconstructed after Brian Robson got injured and Ray Wilkins got sent off in the previous games that did not go particularly well. A similar thing happened in 1990 - we didn't start out well - lost Brian Robson to injury, needed a last group game victory over Egypt to assure qualification. Bobby Robson shook the team up, changed formations with Mark Hughes playing as sweeper, Lineker up front on his own with Beardsley just off him. It worked a charm and although I am generally very critical of England we genuinly could have won that one.

Back to the 2010 WC. England were crap, we're an average side, no more, no less - about as good as USA\Mexico etc. Argentina played well against weak and less than average teams and then failed miserably at their first real test. They performed as their qualification campaign suggested. It should be a decent final, I hope Spain pull it off - they have some fantastic unslefish players that play well together as a team and show massive amounts of patience, unlike England where everyone is trying to win it with one swing of the boot.

Master J
07-08-10, 22:34
In the 1986 world cup Maradona scored the best goal I have ever seen in a world cup match, was voted player of the tournament and won the world cup with Argentina.

If he was English. He would now be Sir Diego Armando Maradona.Better than Pele? Does his illegal activities influence the decision?

Rev BS
07-08-10, 23:56
If you understand the Argentinian state of mind, any hero / heroine has to be tragic figure. His story is not quite finish yet, but the clamor for a statue shows the desperate need for people to forget the tragedy of their everyday life. Their illusion of minor success in the World Cup camouflage the fact that Maradona did not use key players he had at his disposal and that Argentina was actually a strong favorite to win it all. Hopefully, we will get a Broadway musical out of it.

Rev BS
07-09-10, 00:05

If he was English. He would now be Sir Diego Armando Maradona.On football merits, he definitely deserve a statue. But the timing is bizzare. Best footballer of all time? It is hard to compare, but Pele's career is far more expansive and his impact in the game much more significant. Pele is Arnold Palmer, and Maradona is Jack Nicklaus in my mind.

Jackjack1
07-09-10, 01:11
[QUOTE=Flexible Horn]In the 1986 world cup Maradona scored the best goal I have ever seen in a world cup match, was voted player of the tournament and won the world cup with Argentina.

If he was English. He would now be Sir Diego Armando Maradona.[/ QUOTE.

On football merits, he definitely deserve a statue. But the timing is bizzare. Best footballer of all time? It is hard to compare, but Pele's career is far more expansive and his impact in the game much more significant. Pele is Arnold Palmer, and Maradona is Jack Nicklaus in my mind.Not a pissing contest Black, but I've met Pele and Maradona and was lucky to see them both perform. Pele, by comparison is by far the most amazing player to ever play the game. Most soccer moves to this day are attributed to him, including the Bicycle kick, which some argue was created by someone else yet popularized by Pele. Pele had and still has the presence of a superstar, he had his flamboyant moments but nothing compared to the embarrassing goob that Maradona has become. Maradona was highly criticized by his own people who asserted that he was not the right man for the job. Was Argentina's success due to the raw talent of the team, or was it Maradona's doing. I think it was the former reason.

Again, all-in-all, no comparison.

Jack

Schmoj
07-09-10, 01:23
Was Argentina's success due to the raw talent of the team, or was it Maradona's doing. I think it was the former reason.Don't forget, this was a team that was on the verge of not qualifying. I could have coached this team as far as they went. When the time came that a true manager was needed, they lost 4-0.

4-0, due to piss poor defense which was the criticism of Maradona's choices all along. We were just bamboozled for a while, but Argentina had the easiest group of all. And then Mexico, the great under achiever.

Rev BS
07-09-10, 02:02
[QUOTE=Black Shirt]Not a pissing contest Black, but I've met Pele and Maradona and was lucky to see them both perform. Pele, by comparison is by far the most amazing player to ever play the game. Most soccer moves to this day are attributed to him, including the Bicycle kick, which some argue was created by someone else yet popularized by Pele. Pele had and still has the presence of a superstar, he had his flamboyant moments but nothing compared to the embarrassing goob that Maradona has become. Maradona was highly criticized by his own people who asserted that he was not the right man for the job. Was Argentina's success due to the raw talent of the team, or was it Maradona's doing. I think it was the former reason.

JackHe did not last as long, but Maradona was just amazing as Pele. I agree with you all the other points. The statue is deserving as a Argentine soccer player who was one of the best of all time.

Remember, athletes get better as the decades go by. Today, the defenders are just as athletic as the offensive players. Not so, in Pele's days.

Flexible Horn
07-09-10, 03:49
Better than Pele? Does his illegal activities influence the decision?I'm ENGLISH, so more than any other nationality should hate him but I'm a football lover, probably seen over 500 live professional football matches (thats not watching them on tv)

I never did see Pele live but of the footage I have seen I don't think he was as good as Maradona, my opinion, millions agree millions disagree.

If Maradona had never taken drugs he might have been an even better player.

Shagger123
07-09-10, 04:13
I'm ENGLISH, so more than any other nationality should hate him but I'm a football lover, probably seen over 500 live professional football matches (thats not watching them on tv)

I never did see Pele live but of the footage I have seen I don't think he was as good as Maradona, my opinion, millions agree millions disagree.

If Maradona had never taken drugs he might have been an even better player.Interesting debate could go on for ever. One thing in Maradona's favor, I think, is that he alone was the difference between Argentina winning the world cup versus being a contender. I'm not saying he won the World Cup single handedly but without him it would have been far from a ceratainty. Now, Brazil \ Pele in 1970. This was maybe the best team of all time, many world class payers - without Pele they would probably have won anyway. Cruyff? I always rated him highly - unfortunately he never won the WC. 1974 arguably the Dutch were the best team and 1978 he fell out with the Dutch authorities and was not playing for the national side.

El Perro
07-09-10, 10:41
[QUOTE=Black Shirt]Not a pissing contest Black, but I've met Pele and Maradona and was lucky to see them both perform. Pele, by comparison is by far the most amazing player to ever play the game. Most soccer moves to this day are attributed to him, including the Bicycle kick, which some argue was created by someone else yet popularized by Pele. Pele had and still has the presence of a superstar, he had his flamboyant moments but nothing compared to the embarrassing goob that Maradona has become. Maradona was highly criticized by his own people who asserted that he was not the right man for the job. Was Argentina's success due to the raw talent of the team, or was it Maradona's doing. I think it was the former reason.

JackExcept for a brief period with the Cosmos, Pele never played club football outside of Brazil. That hurt him some as far as worldwide recognition. As far as comparing personalities with Maradona, we all know Maradona's faults. Pele has had his share of problems as well, with a corruption charge some years ago, failed marriages and a son arrested on drug trafficking charges. He certainly has not been as flamboyantly wacky as Maradona, but he has been far from perfect off the pitch.

As far as Maradona being a decent coach, he just ain't. I hope he decides to get out now and let someone with some experience take over. The real villain though is Grondona and the AFA, who are corrupt as the day is long.

Rev BS
07-11-10, 10:19
With the World Cup coming to a close in matter of hours, I can't believe how fast a month has gone by. I hope the play of both teams will be worthy of a final, I don't have a personal choice here. Spain is in my heart, but my money is on Netherlands.

One interesting aspect of the of the final is the Dutch connection to Barcelona football. And since there could be up 7-9 starters from Barcelona, the Spanish team is essentially Barcelona. Barcelona's Ajax total style of football can be said to have evolve from the arrival of Michels and Cryuff, subsequently followed by a stream of Dutch coaches and players. Both assistants on the Dutch bench, Frank De Boer and Cocou were legendary players at Barcelona. Quite incestous, tonight's game!

Damman
07-11-10, 20:10
Worst WC I have ever seen. Of course, it is the only one I have ever watched. Think Uruguay gave me the biggest bang for my buck: Diego Forlan.

Eurotrashy27
07-12-10, 00:17
I couldn't understand all the Mexicans cheering for Spain today in San Francisco.

I mean, I "get" it on one level, but there are so many other levels there its not even funny.

Its like the middle class backing big business GOP. They don't even realize how they've been screwed in the deal.

Schmoj
07-12-10, 00:29
I couldn't understand all the Mexicans cheering for Spain today in San Francisco.

I mean, I "get" it on one level, but there are so many other levels there its not even funny.

Its like the middle class backing big business GOP. They don't even realize how they've been screwed in the deal.That is weird. A European friend of mine from SF was telling me the Mexican guys he works with was giving him shit every time a European team lost.

Another friend posted some pictures on Facebook from B44 (a Catalan restaurant in downtown SF) Looked like quite a party.

On the other hand, most people I know here had mixed feeling about supporting Spain. Even those with Spanish roots.

Personally, I went to Jumbo today during the match because I knew it would be empty.

Whiskas
07-12-10, 01:13

Its like the middle class backing big business GOP. They don't even realize how they've been screwed in the deal.Remember that most mexicans have spanish heritage and some of us even call Spain "La Madre Patria" (The mother country) so I don't think it is strange at all. That being said, in my opinion allows us to support the team since we are no longer competing. They are like our "second choice".

I think it would have been weird if we sould support the Netherlands or another country US included.

Your comparison of middle class and Big Business does not apply in this case.

Greetings,

Whiskas.

Rev BS
07-12-10, 02:42
It was a very ugly game, players bitching and yellow cards flying. Spain control play from the start and deserve to win. Both goalies had good saves to keep their team from falling behind. I was very disappointed with Van Persie, he never got ontrack in the World Cup to prove he is a world class striker. When Fabregas got in, I knew Spain would immediately get chances to score, and that is what happen. I thought Del Bosque was going to getting punish for not playing Fabregas, as Peckerman did when he did not play the young Messi in Germany.

Netherlands good luck ran out. When they took out Brazil, it prevented us from seeing a classic final.

El Perro
07-12-10, 10:05
It was a very ugly game, players bitching and yellow cards flying. Spain control play from the start and deserve to win. Both goalies had good saves to keep their team from falling behind. I was very disappointed with Van Persie, he never got untrack in the World Cup to prove he is a world class striker. When Fabregas got in, I knew Spain woud immediately get chances to score, and that is what happen. I thought Del Bosque was going to getting punish for not playing Fabregas, as Peckerman did when he did not play the young Messi in Germany.

Netherlands good luck ran out. When they took out Brazil, it prevented us from seeing a classic final.Yes, a very ugly match with the Dutch being the guilty party. As many yellow cards as the ref handed out, he could have handed out even more. I think he didn't want to be overly intrusive and fuck up the flow of the game, but the Dutch played so that he had to. The dutch player should have received a straight red for that flying karate kick to the chest of Alonso. A pity that the Netherlands thought their skills were so inferior to those of Spain that they had to play such ugly futbol. A shame, and I am glad Spain overcame the ugliness.

Wild Walleye
07-12-10, 15:39
Is responsible for his inconsistency which allowed the Dutch to get away with too much and ultimately lost control of the match.

De Jong should have been tossed in the first half when he drove his spikes into the chest of Alonso. It was the worst tackle of the tournament. Van Bommel could have been tossed, as well.

Tika Taka
07-12-10, 17:24
Is responsible for his inconsistency which allowed the Dutch to get away with too much and ultimately lost control of the match.

De Jong should have been tossed in the first half when he drove his spikes into the chest of Alonso. It was the worst tackle of the tournament. Van Bommel could have been tossed, as well.It seemed like he was trying too hard not to influence the outcome of the game too much. Too bad though, that the Dutch forgot how to play Total Football and turned to that crap they displayed. He could have called a penalty in the situation where Fabregas, Iniesta, and Xavi all went down in or just outside the box. Even though they're all a bunch of divers, Xavi was definitely fouled in the box, it looked like it was hard to see from where the ref was though.

By the way, I think what you said about van Bommel can apply to every match he plays. Such a dirty cocksucker.

Stan Da Man
07-12-10, 18:09
It seemed like he was trying too hard not to influence the outcome of the game too much. Too bad though, that the Dutch forgot how to play Total Football and turned to that crap they displayed. He could have called a penalty in the situation where Fabregas, Iniesta, and Xavi all went down in or just outside the box. Even though they're all a bunch of divers, Xavi was definitely fouled in the box, it looked like it was hard to see from where the ref was though.

By the way, I think what you said about van Bommel can apply to every match he plays. Such a dirty cocksucker.Personally, I sympathize with the ref in that situation. In the most viewed sporting match in the world, it's understandable why the guy wouldn't want to toss someone out. At that point, people are going to point fingers at him for having influenced the outcome. The spikes to the chest was a pretty ugly foul, and I agree that it would have warranted a red card. Other than that, I didn't think the ref was inconsistent at all. He gave more yellows to the Dutch. They deserved more yellows. The Spanish also got, what, five yellow cards?

Take this as a comment from an American who has not grown up with futbol: I think the real problem is with how FIFA has dealt with things. In today's game, everyone watches everything in HD contrast and can see what "should" have been called with perfect, 20-20 vision even on the stadium scoreboard. That hasn't always been the case. But, FIFA has not kept pace with technology. Things like adding limited use of instant replay, or an additional referee, are no-brainers in my opinion. Yep, I get the fact that it changes the sport. But, if folks don't want change, then the answer is to shut up about all the mistakes. They are going to keep happening, and they'll be more obvious since every spectator has a bird's eye view of everything.

Personally, I also think that the refs have a difficult choice between a red and yellow card, especially in the final match with 700 million people watching. There should be some intermediate alternative, like sending a player off for 15 minutes rather than simply warning them or kicking them out and making their side play short-handed for the balance. That's a tough system for a referee when everything happens in shades of gray and real-time. Plus, the consecutive game, two-yellow card banishment rule ends up benefiting future opponents rather than the opponents who were aggrieved. What sense does that make?

Again, however, those are just ignorant comments from an uninformed American. I'd also advocate PJ O'Rourke's advice: Just start using your hands. Luis Suarez tried it once and they ended up carrying him him off the field.

Wild Walleye
07-13-10, 03:24
Except this one.

Personally, I also think that the refs have a difficult choice between a red and yellow card, especially in the final match with 700 million people watching. There should be some intermediate alternative, like sending a player off for 15 minutes rather than simply warning them or kicking them out and making their side play short-handed for the balance. Maybe they could just spank them and tell them not to do it again (I am BSing you)

He made the right call on De Jong (biggest football game of these players lives, unless someone pulls a gun and shoots a guy on the other team, it is pretty f-ing hard to pull the red out, straight away at least) and most of the rest of the game in so much as in the aftermath of the game (except for those Dutch pussies) everyone was talking about the game and not f-ed up calls by the ref.

El Perro
07-27-10, 19:31
Maradona axed today. He most likely could have stayed on but he would accept no changes to his coaching staff. Another in a long line of self defeating behaviors from Diego. I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped up to Venezuela and took the national team coaching job there.

WorldTravel69
07-27-10, 20:03
I liked the part about what he said. "The Masseuse would have to stay also."

Maradona axed today. He most likely could have stayed on but he would accept no changes to his coaching staff. Another in a long line of self defeating behaviors from Diego. I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped up to Venezuela and took the national team coaching job there.

Jackson
07-27-10, 21:36
Maradona axed today. He most likely could have stayed on but he would accept no changes to his coaching staff. Another in a long line of self defeating behaviors from Diego. I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped up to Venezuela and took the national team coaching job there.As I understand from previous news reports regarding his contract, that he would be walking away from a recently renewed $100,000 USD per month coaching contract because of his ego?

Is this correct?

El Perro
07-27-10, 23:41
As I understand from previous news reports regarding his contract, that he would be walking away from a recently renewed $100,000 USD per month coaching contract because of his ego?

Is this correct?Essentially yes, though he didn't technically walk away. His contract wasn't renewed. Hard to say what goes on in what passes for the brain of Maradona. Monumental hubris at play.

TejanoLibre
07-27-10, 23:49
As I understand from previous news reports regarding his contract, that he would be walking away from a recently renewed $100,000 USD per month coaching contract because of his ego?

Is this correct?It was only $50k US per month.

I could deal with that!

TL

El Perro
07-28-10, 00:21
It was only $50k US per month.

I could deal with that!

TLHey TL. It was 1.2 million per year. US. Somebody fed you some bad info. Alot of mangos.

Exon123
07-28-10, 10:11
It was my impression that Maradona was a God and could "Walk on Water"

Exon

Schmoj
07-28-10, 11:46
Maradona axed today. He most likely could have stayed on but he would accept no changes to his coaching staff. Another in a long line of self defeating behaviors from Diego. I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped up to Venezuela and took the national team coaching job there.Ding dong the witch is dead.

Rev BS
09-07-10, 03:44
Outstanding game in BA today, anybody going?

We see the return of Cambiasso and Zannetti to the Argentina team, Maradona's decision to exclude these 2 experienced winning players from Inter Milan was the biggest reason for their failure in the World Cup and subsequently, his own dismissal. Whilst Argentina should start building for 2014, their inclusion may give them some satisfaction. Hopefully, they can use this game to embark on their home stretch run culminating in winning the Copa America in Argentina in 2011.

Zannetti, one of the most influential players in the last decade, ommitted twice from World Cup teams. Unbelievable scenerio, yet so Argentinian in it's logic.

El Perro
09-07-10, 10:47
I won't be there but I have friends that will be. Sold out. It seems that Checho Batista is pretty much a lock to rid himself of his interim status as coach, barring an unforseen disaster of some sort. It's great to see the Maradona lounge act in the rearview and get on with it. In addition to Zanetti and Cambiasso, Batista has called up Andres D'Alessandro from Internacional in Brazil. He of the wacky big head but loads of talent.

Strange about Zanetti's absence from the last two World Cups. Despite that, he still is the most capped Argentine player.

Outstanding game in BA today, anybody going?

We see the return of Cambiasso and Zannetti to the Argentina team, Maradona's decision to exclude these 2 experienced winning players from Inter Milan was the biggest reason for their failure in the World Cup and subsequently, his own dismissal. Whilst Argentina should start building for 2014, their inclusion may give them some satisfaction. Hopefully, they can use this game to embark on their home stretch run culminating in winning the Copa America in Argentina in 2011.

Zannetti, one of the most influential players in the last decade, ommitted twice from World Cup teams. Unbelievable scenerio, yet so Argentinian in it's logic.

Conchuir
09-08-10, 19:34
While I was as bemused as everyone else at Zanetti & Cambiasso's exclusion in RSA, I fail to understand the logic of reintroducing Zanetti at his age, as there is no conceivable way at his advanced age that he can be involved in the next World Cup. Poor Javier will miss three in a row!

I imagine, when the going started to get tough for Argentina against Germany in SA, Maradonna must have thought to himself, OK no problem, I'll bring on Zanetti & Cambiasso and shore this thing up. Oh, wait a fucking minute! They're on vacation at the beach in Europe!

Dumb fuck Diego!

El Perro
09-08-10, 19:45
While I was as bemused as everyone else at Zanetti & Cambiasso's exclusion in RSA, I fail to understand the logic of reintroducing Zanetti at his age, as there is no conceivable way at his advanced age that he can be involved in the next World Cup. Poor Javier will miss three in a row!

I imagine, when the going started to get tough for Argentina against Germany in SA, Maradonna must have thought to himself, OK no problem, I'll bring on Zanetti & Cambiasso and shore this thing up. Oh, wait a fucking minute! They're on vacation at the beach in Europe!

Dumb fuck Diego!You bet! Glad to see the hind end of Diego! As far as the age on Zanetti and some others, don't forget that Argentina hosts the South American Copa in 2011. They want to win that in the worst way and they will only have a shot with the best players available, regardless of age. I would expect Zanetti and other old guys to be a part of that team (like Heinze for instance) I'd guess after that tournament you would begin to see a gradual weeding out of some of the older players. BUT, you have to have some players who can replace them! Argentina is notoriously weak at the fullback position. In the future they might have some guys who can man that position-Zabaleta, Angeleri and Insua.

Rev BS
09-08-10, 19:49
Yeah, true about Zanetti's age, but the guy is one hell of a specimen. He never misses a game, so he could be another Maldini. His versatility, experience and leadership cannot be measured in a normal terms. So thinking it over, I can see him in Brazil in 2014.

By the way, that is going to be some party coming in 2014. I would like to rent a place for 2 months, go to a few games, and just soak in the atmosphere.

Master J
09-08-10, 21:25
Argentina hosts the South American Copa in 2011.Does anyone have any information regarding getting tickets for the events?

RubDub
09-09-10, 18:56
I was at the game Tuesday. There's nothing quite like going to a live soccer match abroad. But, I digress that this was more exhibition than anything else and I recognize. Sort of like NFL pre-season. Especially when the Red shirts where pussy-footing around for the first 5 minutes. That's OK, Messi took care of that pretty quick.

Oleee, Ole, Ole, Ole.

Messi, Messi.

Oleee, Ole, Ole, Ole.

Messi, Messi.

Still it was fun to put on the local uni colors and silly hat and go instant Boludo.

I'm hopeful to still be in town for Boca vs. River this season, so I can check that off the bucket list.

Conchuir
09-09-10, 19:43
Scotland did win a competitive international game at the weekend with a 40 year old central defender on the field throughout (David Weir) So maybe it's not impossible for Zanetti to play an important part over the next four years?

The Copa in 2011 and the Mundial on Brazillain soil in 2014. What a way to wind up a great career! The maestro Maldini was 38 when Italy won in 2006, but had retired from International football in 2002.

With Messi, Higuain, Aguero & Di Maria etc all set to be truly seasoned players in their prime by 2014, the possibilities are limitless for Argentina.

If everything goes really well, maybe that horrible donkey, Demichelis, will have been shelved by then! Without that Fuckwit, Argentina can win everything!

Rev BS
09-09-10, 20:18
Initial press releases indicated that Buenos Aires will not be highlighted as a venue. But the local mafia has not done it's work yet.

It will be in the month of July, with Japan and Mexico as the invited teams. No USA. So not sure which team I am going to adopt.

Wild Walleye
09-10-10, 01:11
Initial press releases indicated that Buenos Aires will not be highlighted as a venue.I guess that would be populist to have the games in Jujuy, Mendoza, and Cordoba. Why have Bs As a a primary venue? Not like the 13.05 million people living within the AMBA represent the largest market in Argentina (not to mention the third largest in LatAm and 15 largest on the planet)

This is a business after all.

But the local mafia has not done it's work yet. This is a business after all.

El Perro
09-10-10, 10:45
Initial press releases indicated that Buenos Aires will not be highlighted as a venue. But the local mafia has not done it's work yet.

It will be in the month of July, with Japan and Mexico as the invited teams. No USA. So not sure which team I am going to adopt.Venues for the matches (from today's BA Herald):

La Plata, Cordoba, Santa Fe, Mendoza, San Juan, Jujuy and Salta. An opportunity to get out and see the country.

El Perro
09-10-10, 21:22
Venues for the matches (from today's BA Herald):

La Plata, Cordoba, Santa Fe, Mendoza, San Juan, Jujuy and Salta. An opportunity to get out and see the country.

Apparently there will be one match in Buenos Aires, the final match, at the Monumental.

Flexible Horn
09-20-10, 07:42
It was my impression that Maradona was a God and could "Walk on Water"

ExonThere are rumour's that the messiah could be returning to the job as manager of Argentina's football team.

http:/www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Diego-Maradona-ready-to-return-as-Argentina-coach/10705/

El Perro
09-20-10, 12:00
There are rumour's that the messiah could be returning to the job as manager of Argentina's football team.

Http:/www. Imscouting. Com / global-news-article / Diego-Maradona-ready-to-return-as-Argentina-coach / 10705/Maradona ain't coming back. His marketing folks are busy spreading one bullshit item after another trying to drum up some business for him. No self respecting country or club would have him. Of course, there are some non-respecting countries and clubs that, on an outside bet, might give him a shot.

Semi-related news, some scumbag from Atletico Madrid deliberately put a nasty challenge on Leo Messi at the end of a match yesterday. Full diagnosis yet to come, but it looks like a badly sprained ankle and at worse some ligament damage.

El Perro
09-20-10, 12:54
Maradona ain't coming back. His marketing folks are busy spreading one bullshit item after another trying to drum up some business for him. No self respecting country or club would have him. Of course, there are some non-respecting countries and clubs that, on an outside bet, might give him a shot.

Semi-related news, some scumbag from Atletico Madrid deliberately put a nasty challenge on Leo Messi at the end of a match yesterday. Full diagnosis yet to come, but it looks like a badly sprained ankle and at worse some ligament damage. Jeez, now I read something that makes me wonder whether the Argentine Football Federation might actually bring Maradona back! Please, NO!

Gauntlet77
09-23-10, 20:31
Jeez, now I read something that makes me wonder whether the Argentine Football Federation might actually bring Maradona back! Please, NO!Love the pic and cartoon! LMAO

Rev BS
05-28-11, 00:26
Not a MANU fan, but I pick Ferguson's boys to beat Barcelona. The Catalonians are great but their playacting and constant griping should not be rewarded. But I am afraid they may have the refreee in their pocket, early yellows would hamper the Reds from their game, and a 2nd yellow would be disaster. Evra has to play the game of his life to neutralise Messi, maybe, playing Park on the left wing will allow him to come back and help out. The Mexican Hernandez could be the match winer and a dream season for him. A great game from Nani would help. No Giggs please, maybe the last 3 minutes.

What! The game will be at around 4 or 5 am in BKK. Wow, looks like a all night pregame show.

Lefeu
05-29-11, 04:45
Not a MANU fan, but I pick Ferguson's boys to beat Barcelona. The Catalonians are great but their playacting and constant griping should not be rewarded. But I am afraid they may have the refreee in their pocket, early yellows would hamper the Reds from their game, and a 2nd yellow would be disaster. Evra has to play the game of his life to neutralise Messi, maybe, playing Park on the left wing will allow him to come back and help out. The Mexican Hernandez could be the match winer and a dream season for him. A great game from Nani would help. No Giggs please, maybe the last 3 minutes.

What! The game will be at around 4 or 5 am in BKK. Wow, looks like a all night pregame show. their playacting and constant griping should not be rewarded.

First, only a few players do that, and that's also because the opposing teams found that the only way to stop them was to foul them. Remember, Barca is pretty much the Spanish team that won the 2010 world cup. Now, you add Messi to that line up, and good luck trying to beat them.

Everyone is trying to find ways to mess up their beautiful game. Fouling is usually the easiest thing to do. I was happy to see that ManU players did not resort to that tactic, with the exception of Valencia who seemed lost on the field. I expect Mourinho to come up with some ways to beat them next year, but they are still the most pleasant team to watch.

Rev BS
05-29-11, 07:57
their playacting and constant griping should not be rewarded.

First, only a few players do that, and that's also because the opposing teams found that the only way to stop them was to foul them. Remember, Barca is pretty much the Spanish team that won the 2010 world cup. Now, you add Messi to that line up, and good luck trying to beat them.

Everyone is trying to find ways to mess up their beautiful game. Fouling is usually the easiest thing to do. I was happy to see that ManU players did not resort to that tactic, with the exception of Valencia who seemed lost on the field. I expect Mourinho to come up with some ways to beat them next year, but they are still the most pleasant team to watch. Congratualtions, Barca. I enjoy footbal play at the highest skill level, and Barca is just that. ManU with their unusual midfield of Carrick, Giggs and Park was a disaster. 2 goals from the outside with Van der Sar unsighted both times by his defenders' failure to challenge the scorer spelled doom for ManU.

Look out for a healthy Arsenal. Nasri, Van Persie and Fabregas (maybe) can take on Barcelona at their game.

El Perro
05-29-11, 11:11
Well put. It was pretty clear yesterday why the likes of Mourinho and Wenger have gone defensive against Barca. If you actually try to play with them you get humiliated. IMHO-kudos to Ferguson for playing football against Barca though he and his team were soundly beaten.

Funny about the guys who can't keep themselves from fouling Messi. Nearly the entire Real Madrid squad, and Valencia had him targeted yesterday. Watching a guy who is that good drives them crazy.

And speaking of "lost on the field", what did much ballyhooed Chicharito accomplish other than being consistently offside? Talented kid but way out of his league yesterday.

their playacting and constant griping should not be rewarded.

Everyone is trying to find ways to mess up their beautiful game. Fouling is usually the easiest thing to do. I was happy to see that ManU players did not resort to that tactic, with the exception of Valencia who seemed lost on the field. I expect Mourinho to come up with some ways to beat them next year, but they are still the most pleasant team to watch.

Chezz
05-29-11, 13:23
Thanks for the advice yesterday. I arrived at Gibraltar right before the match started and the place was packed. I was lucky even to find a place to stand. The crowd, as expected, was solidly behind Man U. The beer was great and the even had an excellent burger. Thanks again!

Rev BS
05-29-11, 22:42
Berbatov, leading Premier League scorer was left out in the cold, not included among the subs. His spot was taken by Michael Owen. WOW! We now know Ferguson didn't think he could win, just hopeng to be lucky. I think his players could feel that and played that way.

2 years ago, Park was left out after being instrumental in the runup to the Final. Ferguson is willing to humilate his big signings in favor of the homeboys.

Rev BS
05-29-11, 22:53
Well put. It was pretty clear yesterday why the likes of Mourinho and Wenger have gone you actually try to play with them you get humiliated. IMHO-kudos to Ferguson for playing football against Barca tdefensive against Barca. If hough he and his team were soundly beaten.

Funny about the guys who can't keep themselves from fouling Messi. Nearly the entire Real Madrid squad, and Valencia had him targeted yesterday. Watching a guy who is that good drives them crazy.

And speaking of "lost on the field", what did much ballyhooed Chicharito accomplish other than being consistently offside? Talented kid but way out of his league yesterday. Well, since there was no midfield to speak of, there was no balls for Chicharito to play on to. Numerous turnovers by Park / Giggs / Carrick. ManU's goal was from a turnover deep in Barca space. Starting Nani would have relieve some pressure and create some openings. But Ferguson played his cards on a midfield Great Wall that Barca had no problems doing the samba through and around it.

But enough analysis, Barca is the better team.