PDA

View Full Version : LAN Airlines:! Round-trip airfare to South America, fares from $399

Cornoir
07-13-10, 19:59
"LAN Airlines offers select round-trip flights to South America priced from $399, as found on Travelzoo.com That's one of the best fare sales we've seen for these South Amercian destinations. This sale applies to flights from Los Angeles, New York, or Miami, and destinations include Ecuador, Argentina, and more. Taxes and fees are additional and can be substantial; other terms and conditions also apply. Flights must be booked by July 28 for travel from August 16 to December 5."

http://www.lan.com/en_us/promociones/data/norteamerica/us/todo_sudamerica/20100702_temp_baja_desde_mia.html?otid=226925&s_cid=US_EN_WM_Display_lowseason2MIA

Stan Da Man
07-13-10, 23:17
"LAN Airlines offers select round-trip flights to South America priced from $399, as found on Travelzoo. Com That's one of the best fare sales we've seen for these South Amercian destinations. This sale applies to flights from Los Angeles, New York, or Miami, and destinations include Ecuador, Argentina, and more. Taxes and fees are additional and can be substantial; other terms and conditions also apply. Flights must be booked by July 28 for travel from August 16 to December 5."

http://www.lan.com/en_us/promociones/data/norteamerica/us/todo_sudamerica/20100702_temp_baja_desde_mia.html?otid=226925&s_cid=US_EN_WM_Display_lowseason2MIACornoir:

If you have any info on the following, I would appreciate your input:

1. LAN is in OneWorld. Any idea whether you get American Airlines mileage credit when flying on LAN. I know you are supposed to get credit, but they all seem to have some top secret three-cushion rules on these things -- like you get credit, but only if American doesn't actually fly to the destination that the OneWorld partner airline flew you to.

2. Do you have any experience with LAN as compared with other major US carriers, e. G. Delta, American, United (uggh! Etc. I know little about LAN. I know enough about the others to know they all suck.

Thanks in advance if you can add anything. -Stan

Schmoj
07-13-10, 23:50
Cornoir:

Do you have any experience with LAN as compared with other major US carriers, e. G. Delta, American, United (uggh! Etc. I know little about LAN. I know enough about the others to know they all suck.

Thanks in advance if you can add anything. -StanLAN is great! I've flown them, not only within South America, but also to the US and Europe. They generally have newer planes, economy class is not too cramped, the staff is generally polite, and they are usually on time.

MUCH better than United and American, who tend to use older, very cramped planes to BsAs. I've had good experience with Continental, though.

I just found a trip from EZE to SFO through Lima for 999. That's about $300 and 3 hours less flight time.

Waterboy
07-14-10, 02:56
Cornoir:

If you have any info on the following, I would appreciate your input:

1. LAN is in OneWorld. Any idea whether you get American Airlines mileage credit when flying on LAN. I know you are supposed to get credit, but they all seem to have some top secret three-cushion rules on these things -- like you get credit, but only if American doesn't actually fly to the destination that the OneWorld partner airline flew you to.

2. Do you have any experience with LAN as compared with other major US carriers, e. G. Delta, American, United (uggh! Etc. I know little about LAN. I know enough about the others to know they all suck.

Thanks in advance if you can add anything. -StanI have used LAN from New York City to Buenos Aires via Chile in 2009. I received credit (both legs of the trip) to my American Airlines fequent flier account. I did book the flight on the American Airlines web site and thus used my American Airlines Account number when I booked the trip. The other important fact I would like to mention was the flight from LGA to Chile was flown by LAN but was booked on an American Airlines code. The second part of the trip from Chile to EZE was a LAN code but received credit for that part also. When I checked into La Guardia Airport I used the buiness class check in (LAN) and used my platnum card when I reported in at the counter. The Lan lounge at La Guardia Airport is located before security. They provided internet access, liquor (a few top shelf brands and wine) and food (including chicken, shirmp, soup) The credit for the flights took a few extra days than normal to show up on my account. I forgot the aircraft used but remember the food was the same as an American Airlines flight and you need the two prong adapter plug for your headphones. The airport in Chile had several resturants, wine stores, and some interesting gift shops (this was before the earthquake) I later flew home via DFW.

Cornoir
07-14-10, 03:32
I have only used American Airlines from NYC to BA nonstop and I usually go the Tuesday / Wednesday before Thanksgiving so that is tough enough in itself (usually an hour late to leave NYC these last 2 trips) Have not tried the LAN Airlines yet but based upon what others are saying it looks like a good deal, especially if I can get the miles credited to my AA account.

Cornoir

Sysco234
07-14-10, 12:48
I flew LAN from San Francisco through Lima. As airlines go they are decent. Legroom is between United's coach and Plus section. On the trip down the plane was fairly empty and I had a 2 seat window combination to myself and it was quite nice. Food was standard airline fair. My only complaint was they only had Whiskey and Tequila on the plane, I'm a Gin or Vodka man myself. Lima is a nice airport to hang in for a few hours anyway.

Sysco

Capn Rick
07-15-10, 04:58
"LAN Airlines offers select round-trip flights to South America priced from $399, as found on Travelzoo. Com That's one of the best fare sales we've seen for these South Amercian destinations. This sale applies to flights from Los Angeles, New York, or Miami, and destinations include Ecuador, Argentina, and more. Taxes and fees are additional and can be substantial; other terms and conditions also apply. Flights must be booked by July 28 for travel from August 16 to December 5."

http://www.lan.com/en_us/promociones/data/norteamerica/us/todo_sudamerica/20100702_temp_baja_desde_mia.html?otid=226925&s_cid=US_EN_WM_Display_lowseason2MIAThanks for posting that. It was very helpful.

Artisttyp
07-15-10, 15:09
I have only used American Airlines from NYC to BA nonstop and I usually go the Tuesday / Wednesday before Thanksgiving so that is tough enough in itself (usually an hour late to leave NYC these last 2 trips) Have not tried the LAN Airlines yet but based upon what others are saying it looks like a good deal, especially if I can get the miles credited to my AA account.

CornoirBeware of discount tickets on LAN. If you need to make a change you will pay dearly. I had a problem with them this year with a flight due to the chilean earthquake and they wouldn't do a thing for me. All they said was I bought a discounted ticket and that was my problem. Their online announcements about schedule changes left me confused and I wound up missing my flight. I was out $800 + wrote a letter no reply. I have many miles on LAN and still no one gave a shit.

I've never had any luck getting AA miles on LAN. Every time I tried they told me to go speak to one or the other. See saw back and forth. I gave up.

They will try to say NYC to BA is a non stop flight but that is bullshit. It was a 22hr ordeal switching planes in Lima and again in Santiago. Went through security at every airport. The AA nonstop flight is a way better deal IMHO but the planes are older and not as comfortable.

LAN is a really comfortable airline but make sure you make your flight without any changes. Total baggage nazis as well.

Toymann
07-15-10, 16:27
Used Lan once from LA to BA. Identical experience to last poster. Milk run drove me crazy (Lima, Santiago) the miles never ended up in AA acount, total run around when attempting to correct this problem and eventually gave up. Ya get what ya pay for at the end of the day. Flew AA from Denver (1 stop in DFW) before and ever since. Enough said.

Happy Mongering All,

Toymann

Miami Bob
08-31-10, 10:50
Do not buy this ticket from William Shatner and the boys or you will be on the Toymann "locale". Purchase on Lan's website and you can designate your AA number and account to receive the mileage credit and it will happen.

Lan is a good airline--well organized. When AA is $2000 r/t in coach, business is $6,000 and there are only bed seats left, I have and will fly LAN over American. Why American-- frequent flyer perks: reserving exit row seats in coach and priority for business upgrades.

Rock Harders
08-31-10, 15:32
Mongers-

LAN has better on-board service, newer planes, and better on-board entertainment than AA. However, AA has far superior service in terms of ticketing and frequent flier programs. Access to and redemption of FF miles on AA is beyond simple and with proper planning they can always be used for long-haul upgrades or free tickets. In terms of earning AA miles on LAN flights it's as simple as this: if your AA FF number is on your LAN boarding pass, you will earn the miles (including EQM) automatically; if it is not, you will have to fight to get them credited at a later date.

Suerte,

Rock Harders