PDA

View Full Version : What about this 3 month stay thing

Paul Halisco
07-20-10, 23:49
How do some of you deal with the 3 month limit thing for USA visitors.

Schmoj
07-20-10, 23:51
how do some of you deal with the 3 month limit thing for USA visitors.Most go to Uruguay for a day, then come right back.

El Perro
07-21-10, 00:05
Most go to Uruguay for a day, then come right back.If you work the Buquebus schedule just right you can get over to Colonia around 1:30 and take the trip back to Buenos Aires at 4:30. That's about as painless as it gets.

Paul Halisco
07-21-10, 00:25
When I got to the airport in 2006 to go to Miami, the guy gave me some shit. I didn't know what he was saying but I paid the fine of 50 anyway. I later realized that he saw my.

New passport, other was stolen in Rosario, and it didn't have my Chilean visit. And I lost my Brazil visa which was non replaceable. Anyway, thats why he thought I overstayed.

If I look on my exit stamp, is there some way of seeing if its a special stamp for overstayers?

I suppose they should have a record on computer of when I crossed into Chile.

So I could prove it but you never know if they any records at all.

I got kicked out of Canada when I was young 30 yrs ago and always wanted to know if that was still on the books. I was technically deported but that was pre computer mostly.

Wild Walleye
07-21-10, 13:22
I got kicked out of Canada when I was young 30 yrs ago and always wanted to know if that was still on the books. I was technically deported but that was pre computer mostly.Try to gain entry into Canada. Then you will know for sure.

In my opinion, I would think that most infractions, large or small, are noted and in one form or another attached to your official records. It probably varies from country to country on how the 'notation' is handled and what the potential ramifications might be. Violate the 'trading with the enemies act' and you might get a little more attention, each time you pass through US customs. If the potential overstay became a problem, you could get documentation supporting your argument that you didn't overstay and work through the red tape.

In times past, those would be paper documents that eventually (even 30 years ago) make into a 'centralized' data base. There was so much room for human and system errors that lots of bad guys could come and go as they please, using their real passports. Many of the system errors came from the fact that while data may have been 'centralized' the systems and networks were archaic and created many data islands and those on the front lines of immigration and border control didn't have real-time data and the data they did have may have only been partial (due to the data islands) With 'modern' distributed networks evolving toward cloud computing it is possible to have greater data access and continuity which in turn should enable better control and enforcement.

It is in part by design that you do not have all of the information that is in your passport file. That alone acts as a deterrent.

If I were living as an expat and occasionally needed to tag-up, I would make a high-res scan of the stamps in my passport and keep the file up to date. I have scanned all of the pages of my passport, encrypted the images and stored them on my phone, a thumbdrive, my laptop and hosted on the web (all secure) That way, if I encounter a problem, I have access to the information.