PDA

View Full Version : US passport valid for less than 6 months. A problem?

Dancesw/Chicas
08-10-10, 02:28
Dear all,

Anybody knows if it is 6 or 3 months what's required before a US passport expires in order to visit Argentina for a week?

Thanks,

DWC

Sysco234
08-10-10, 11:45
This visa application (which you don't need to fill out but is good information) from the Argentina embassy talks about Passports needing to be valid for at least 6 months after the interview.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/consular-pdfs/iv-appointment-info-english.pdf

I agree information on the web is spotty but I would go with 6 months to be sure.

Sysco

Wild Walleye
08-10-10, 12:14
This visa application (which you don't need to fill out but is good information) from the Argentina embassy talks about Passports needing to be valid for at least 6 months after the interview.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/consular-pdfs/iv-appointment-info-english.pdf

I agree information on the web is spotty but I would go with 6 months to be sure.

SyscoThe standard entry stamp is good for 90 days, it would make sense that they would want some reasonable margin on top of that, just in case.

Gato Hunter
08-12-10, 03:05
If you do come on a nearly expired passport and pay for a visa. I read something on the internets that you could use your expired passport as a visa to Argentina for the 10 year life of the visa itself.

So if you go this route and try it on a future trip please report back.

Cheers!

Member #4112
08-12-10, 11:13
I had the same problem last year with my Brazilian visa; the one in my old passport did not expire until a month after my scheduled trip in October but the passport it was in expired in August, two months before the trip. I contacted the Brazilian Consulate and was told they would not process a new visa until after the current one expired but to take the expired passport with the valid visa with the new passport for entry. I was a little nervous about it but upon arrival in Sao Paulo it took a bit longer to get through immigration as the guy behind the counter had to call his supervisor before he let me through and stamped both the expired and valid passport with an entry stamp.

I don't know about doing that for 10 years in Argentina, might want to check with them when you go through immigration and see what they tell you, but you should be good for the first entry at least.

Dancesw/Chicas
08-20-10, 23:15
I learned from the Argentine consulate that Argentina allows you to visit as long as your US passport is valid, without any issues of being close to expired. For example, if the passport date of expiration is the 20th of X month, you can still visit from the 15th and come back to the USA the 19th.

And yes, the 10 year visa is still good of course, you just have to carry the old passport to show it.

DWC