PDA

View Full Version : The long haul

Paul Halisco
08-19-10, 00:14
How do you all take a 9 hr plane ride. Its close to torture if you ask me maybe the 787 will change that somewhat.

Has anyone tried buying a spare seat on a fractional jet set up from the States.

Wild Walleye
08-19-10, 12:51
How do you all take a 9 hr plane ride. Its close to torture if you ask me maybe the 787 will change that somewhat.

Has anyone tried buying a spare seat on a fractional jet set up from the States.The more you do it, the easier it gets.

I travel a fair amount, most of my flights are long haul (8-15 hrs) I travel very light and have every thing I need (book, mags, ipod, laptop, power bars, universal air / car charger, etc) in my carry-on. Be prepared for everything you will encounter and you will want for nothing. I pick my seats in advance with great care (make sure that there is nothing that will inhibit my comfort -- seat reclines, no elec boxes blocking my leg space, as close to the front of the plane as possible, etc) I always have extra immigration and customs forms (so I can fill them out when I want) I keep local currency for the places I go so that I do not need to hit the ATM or exchange kiosk when I land. I also have hard copies of my air and hotel confirms, my local cell phone and fresh minute cards to add, when taxiing at EZE.

Just enjoy 9 hours without the motherf'ing phone ringing.

For Bs As, the fact that the flights depart late in the evening makes it easier for me (I can sleep anywhere anytime) Knowing what awaits me in Bs As makes it even easier. I sort of like the routine: town car to airport, 1st class check in, flagship lounge for a couple drinks (emails and vmails) board flight, read mag, glass of wine, take-off, start movie, dinner, fall asleep, wake up on approach to EZE, land, (listen to AA play that Colbie callait song while deplaning) dash to passport control, take the side door to skip the duty free shop, straight to customs 9no checked bags) out the door, grab my remis, hit the road to funville.

There is a huge difference in comfort between a coach seat and biz class. Get as many miles as you can and work the upgrades. Sitting up front gets your relationship with the cabin crew off on the right foot (they just treat biz and 1st class passengers better) Spread a little charm around with the cabin crew, engage in a little light banter with them, try to find a little something about them and take an interest. They will consciously and subconsciously repay your kindness.

If sitting in coach, get two of those "U shaped" neck pillows -- one for your neck one for you butt (when it starts to hurt about 6-7 hours into the flight for me) Also, pack your carry-on so that you can place your feet on it without harming its contents. This will make your legs more comfortable. Occasionally, get up and walk the length of the cabin and stretch your legs (even if you don't feel like it - it will make you more comfortable and will help you avoid DVT) Coach isn't known for overfeeding you, so pack a couple power bars (or something like that) so that you can stave off the hunger that is likely to set in. Coach charges you for drinks, have US$20 made up of ones, fives and / or tens (your flight crew will appreciate exact change)

Member #4112
08-19-10, 13:00
For those of you who have trouble sleeping on the plane get a sleeping pill (prescription are best but over the counter will work) Long trips pass more quickly in the land of Nod.