PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! need to recover data from external harddisk drive

Gauntlet77
09-20-10, 23:46
My computer froze one night and I had to pull the plug to restart.

The computer (MacBook Pro) now says it doesn't recognize the external disk drive (HD) and won't mount it. It invites me to either initialize it or eject. If I initialize it, I believe I will lose all my data. I've tried to mount and repair the HD with the Disk Utility. I've also tried DiskWarrior and Drive Genius to no avail.

I know there are some very savvy computer guys out there, so this is my plea for assistance.

Anybody know a good data recovery shop here in BA? Or any other ideas or suggestions?

Josenext
09-21-10, 05:58
There is someone on BA Expats by the name of Macdaddy that was bragging about his expertise with the apple platform. Good thing you have a recent backup huh?

Good luck.

Wild Walleye
09-21-10, 16:08
My computer froze one night and I had to pull the plug to restart.

The computer (MacBook Pro) now says it doesn't recognize the external disk drive (HD) and won't mount it. It invites me to either initialize it or eject. If I initialize it, I believe I will lose all my data. I've tried to mount and repair the HD with the Disk Utility. I've also tried DiskWarrior and Drive Genius to no avail.

I know there are some very savvy computer guys out there, so this is my plea for assistance.

Anybody know a good data recovery shop here in BA? Or any other ideas or suggestions? and download one of the editor's choices for recovery tools

Seaman
09-21-10, 16:32
In my humble opinion there is no need to go to cnet etc.

A simple run of fsck from the command line should normally do the trick.

(First check with dmesg what the device name is of your hard drive and then run fsck on that drive)

Basically the procedure is:

Open a terminal (Applications / Utilities folder)

Enter "sudo su. "

Enter your password of the account you have logged in with.

Plug in the drive.

Enter in the terminal "dmesg"

Normally in the last few lines of the output of "dmesg" you see something like "/dev / disk? " (Or maybe something with "usb" in the name. I do not have an USB disk available to test)

Enter in the terminal "mount"

Check if the disk which was mentioned in the output of dmesg is actually mounted. (Should not be the case since it does not recognize the drive's filesystem)

Enter in the box "fsck.p / dev / disk? " (disk? Is the disk name from the output of dmesg)

That is "fsck" space dash p space forward slash "dev" forward slash "disk? " (last bit without any spaces)

Every problem it finds it will ask for confirmation if it is allowed to repair it or not. Read all descriptions before saying "y".

If you would like to default to "yes", enter "fsck.p.y / dev / disk? "

That is "fsck" space dash p space dash y space forward slash "dev" forward slash "disk? " (last bit without any spaces)

Once it is finished, exit (close) the terminal, and reboot your computer with the drive still attached! (There are other ways but this is the easiest way)

Let me know the outcome.

Miamipro
09-21-10, 18:23
After seeing you already tried what I would have suggested. You need a new HD. Which speaking for experience. SUCKS. Trying to save data for that will prove to be costly. I have 2 which I have tied into time Machine to back up all my data. It seems like no matter what you do your never really safe.

Miamipro
09-21-10, 18:30
and download one of the editor's choices for recovery toolsThis guy is using a Mac Pro. Which is highly superior to any PC. So finding something on Cnet might prove to be futile. Hehe

Wild Walleye
09-21-10, 18:49
This guy is using a Mac Pro. Which is highly superior to any PC. So finding something on Cnet might prove to be futile. HeheHe lost an HD, you lost 2. I have 4 think pads, 2 dells, 1 compaq, an acer and two external HDs (1TB and.5TB) and have yet to loose a hard drive. The value of my business is in my data. So I don't share your point of view on which one is superior. That said, you are certainly welcome to your opinion.

Of course before making this bold statement, I backed everything up to account for Murphy's Law and the fickle f-ing finger of fate.

I have had certain systems issues but none like my friends with Macs.

Miamipro
09-21-10, 20:12
He lost an HD, you lost 2. I have 4 think pads, 2 dells, 1 compaq, an acer and two external HDs (1TB and.5TB) and have yet to loose a hard drive. The value of my business is in my data. So I don't share your point of view on which one is superior. That said, you are certainly welcome to your opinion.

Of course before making this bold statement, I backed everything up to account for Murphy's Law and the fickle f-ing finger of fate.

I have had certain systems issues but none like my friends with Macs. I am happy you own so many crappy computers. And the issue isn't the Macbook Pro. Its the External HD.

I never said I lost 2. I have 2 backup External HD that are tied into Time Machine for backing up my data. And to be more specific. I am more referring to OS's Windows Vs Apple. No Competition Amigo. Its been proven time and time again that the Apple OS is more rock solid than Windows. (We RARELY get any viruses, if any) Thats why you always see Microsoft chasing Apple and trying to shadow their every move. Windows 7 was an abortion. Stick to what you know. Not to what you think you know.

If you want to play it even more safe, spend the extra money and go with SSD.

Wild Walleye
09-22-10, 00:47
Its been proven time and time again that the Apple OS is more rock solid than Windows.I can assure you that Bill isn't paying me but, when something works, why fix it.

(We RARELY get any viruses, if any) Thats why you always see Microsoft chasing Apple and trying to shadow their every move.Apple is a US$259B company (many thanks to SJ for saving them from the crypt) and MS is US$217B. Who si number one, who is number 2?

Either way, these are two excellent examples of American ingenuity and the byproducts of capitalism (the enemy of your deity. Therefore, free markets are to thank for you fancy little macbook. Although I always thought that a guy with a macbook is like a guy driving a Volkswagen cabriolet.

My crappy computers enable me to do the thing that I do. Actually, they record the things that come out of my brain, which add value to the corporations that retain me to help them make more dough. I am not proficient enough with computers to have them do my work for me. However, I can make them work for me. I can build a spread sheet in under 24 hrs for which corporations will pay me $40k. I can tell you today what the cash flow from a particular activity will be in 48 months form now and what that is worth today (including a sensitivity analysis to account for currency fluctuations) and I can find a chica ready to lock and load anywhere, anytime.

Windows 7 was an abortion.What about Vista? That flaming pile of dung is what enable apple to catch up (well, the iphone thingy helped a little too)

Stick to what you know. Not to what you think you know.I doubt you will find too many individuals more aware of what they know and it's worth.

If you want to play it even more safe, spend the extra money and go with SSD.Your assuming that I don't have an SS option already or that solid state is more reliable than my other back up options. I have multiple redundancies built into my operation. If you knew who my partners are, you would understand why zero data loss is the only option.

If you really wanted to pretend like you knew what you were doing, you would have your system connected utilizing ultra wide band connectivity with a unique energy pulse signal, combined with SOTA biometrics, to ensure security, maximum up-time and defeat interception and detection efforts. But I digress, you're the expert here let me know what I am doing wrong.

Gauntlet77
09-22-10, 01:14
Hey Seaman, are you in town?

Send me a PM if you can spare some time to coach me on this. I have no confidence whatsoever in my command line skills. I am sure we can work out some compensation in kind for your efforts.

I appreciate your taking the time to describe the steps in the procedure.

Cheers.

In my humble opinion there is no need to go to cnet etc.

A simple run of fsck from the command line should normally do the trick.

(First check with dmesg what the device name is of your hard drive and then run fsck on that drive)

Basically the procedure is:

Open a terminal (Applications / Utilities folder)

Enter "sudo su. "

Enter your password of the account you have logged in with.

Plug in the drive.

Enter in the terminal "dmesg"

Normally in the last few lines of the output of "dmesg" you see something like "/dev / disk? " (Or maybe something with "usb" in the name. I do not have an USB disk available to test)

Enter in the terminal "mount"

Check if the disk which was mentioned in the output of dmesg is actually mounted. (Should not be the case since it does not recognize the drive's filesystem)

Enter in the box "fsck. P / dev / disk? " (disk? Is the disk name from the output of dmesg)

That is "fsck" space dash p space forward slash "dev" forward slash "disk? " (last bit without any spaces)

Every problem it finds it will ask for confirmation if it is allowed to repair it or not. Read all descriptions before saying "y".

If you would like to default to "yes", enter "fsck. P. Y / dev / disk? "

That is "fsck" space dash p space dash y space forward slash "dev" forward slash "disk? " (last bit without any spaces)

Once it is finished, exit (close) the terminal, and reboot your computer with the drive still attached! (There are other ways but this is the easiest way)

Let me know the outcome.

Miamipro
09-22-10, 02:32
First thing i want to ask: Have you ever used a MAC? If so what was your personal experience with it??

I can assure you that Bill isn't paying me but, when something works, why fix it.

Apple is a US$259B company (many thanks to SJ for saving them from the crypt) and MS is US$217B. Who si number one, who is number 2? According to those numbers Apple is Number 1. A good comparison would be the sales of Ford cars compared to the sales of Porches. We all know Ford sells more cars. But that doesn't make it the best quality car made... So when you see a guy using a mac.. forget Volkswagen..set your standards higher.. more like Porche

My crappy computers enable me to do the thing that I do. Actually, they record the things that come out of my brain, which add value to the corporations that retain me to help them make more dough. I am not proficient enough with computers to have them do my work for me. However, I can make them work for me. I can build a spread sheet in under 24 hrs for which corporations will pay me $40k. I can tell you today what the cash flow from a particular activity will be in 48 months form now and what that is worth today (including a sensitivity analysis to account for currency fluctuations) and I can find a chica ready to lock and load anywhere, anytime.Congratulations for you. This must really boost your ego.

What about Vista? That flaming pile of dung is what enable apple to catch up (well, the iphone thingy helped a little too)You got that right. However it was the iPod that help a lot first. Then the iPhone.

Your assuming that I don't have an SS option already or that solid state is more reliable than my other back up options. I have multiple redundancies built into my operation. If you knew who my partners are, you would understand why zero data loss is the only option.

If you really wanted to pretend like you knew what you were doing, you would have your system connected utilizing ultra wide band connectivity with a unique energy pulse signal, combined with SOTA biometrics, to ensure security, maximum up-time and defeat interception and detection efforts. But I digress, you're the expert here let me know what I am doing wrong. Really the only one your impressing here is yourself. Which I see you like to do very much... I obviously dont need that type of security, but if you do then great...i keep things neat and simple for what i need.

Thinkpad, Dell, Compaq, HP. All will get things done for you along with the MS OS, but when you want a quality product people in the know go to Apple. Why do you think all the Movie Studios, Recording Studios, Graphic Artist, Music Producers (Such as Myself) use them? Because the reliability factor and no nonsense approach just works. And yes they look pretty, but BFD

Miamipro
09-22-10, 02:44
QUOTE: Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) passed Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) value to become the new king of tech. That's right: Apple's market cap is now $240 billion, while Microsoft, yesterday's standard-bearer, is sitting at $235 billion. If you're not immediately shocked, you may want to look back at the start of this millennium. Back in 2000, Microsoft was worth around $500 billion and Apple was picking at the edges with $16 billion, even sinking as low as $4 billion at its post-dot-com-bubble lows.

Over the past decade, Apple's stock kept rising, and Microsoft's kept doing what it has gotten so good at of late. Kind of limping along.

But to dig a little deeper to help you understand why Apple is superior:

There is a good reason that Microsoft grew so rapidly, ConstableOdo: it cheated. Look into Microsoft's involvement in OS/2 and how MS sold IBM down the river. Roughlydrafted.com has a good explanation of how Microsoft got its dominance. OS/2 was a more secure OS than Windows 3.1, but OS/2 had to be sabotaged to give MS a monopoly.

The point is that Windows 3.1 would work on a DOS computer (which were the bulk of the PC's) while the classic Mac OS required more expensive hardware. Windows 3.1 on a DOS PC was a sorry substitute, but it only cost a third of a Mac.

All those advantages, which Microsoft had, have run their course. Let the Apple haters be; Microsoft is doing an excellent job of sabotaging themselves. Windows Seven is more secure than Vista, but it isn't even close to a UNIX based OS. It is bloated, insecure and buggy. It can't be fixed without a complete rewrite or a hypervisor and there are very good reasons for Microsoft to dislike either.

Apple is busy expanding the computer market with the iPad, rather than fighting over Microsoft's turf. The OS wars are over: Apple won.

Many changes lie ahead when Apple converts to the 64 bit kernel and when the Mac gives up the last vestige of the Classic Mac OS: the Carbon API's.

It is no disadvantage that the losers haven't caught on yet. This partially true because Apple is not attacking Microsoft head on. Apple has more business than it can handle, so why should it begrudge Microsoft its niches?

Sysco234
09-22-10, 14:32
I believe that Apple's value is based on it's consumer products and dominance in that market space. Apple lost the Corporate world a long long time ago. And, to be a little more specific, the OS wars are starting to be taken over by Unix. Not Apple. Apple converted their OS to be Unix based a few years back. Ironic that the protectionist OS company (Apple) finally adopted a platform that is popular due to it's open standards. Apple has won the Consumer products battle at this point. Microsoft's biggest competitor in the Corporate market is this new notion of Cloud Computing and the use of Virtual Computing and Virtual Desktops. An area that Apple is not a large player in at this point.

QUOTE: Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) passed Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) value to become the new king of tech. That's right: Apple's market cap is now $240 billion, while Microsoft, yesterday's standard-bearer, is sitting at $235 billion. If you're not immediately shocked, you may want to look back at the start of this millennium. Back in 2000, Microsoft was worth around $500 billion and Apple was picking at the edges with $16 billion, even sinking as low as $4 billion at its post-dot-com-bubble lows.

Over the past decade, Apple's stock kept rising, and Microsoft's kept doing what it has gotten so good at of late. Kind of limping along.

There is a good reason that Microsoft grew so rapidly, ConstableOdo: it cheated. Look into Microsoft's involvement in OS / 2 and how MS sold IBM down the river. Roughlydrafted. Com has a good explanation of how Microsoft got its dominance. OS / 2 was a more secure OS than Windows 3.1, but OS / 2 had to be sabotaged to give MS a monopoly.

The point is that Windows 3.1 would work on a DOS computer (which were the bulk of the PC's) while the classic Mac OS required more expensive hardware. Windows 3.1 on a DOS PC was a sorry substitute, but it only cost a third of a Mac.

All those advantages, which Microsoft had, have run their course. Let the Apple haters be; Microsoft is doing an excellent job of sabotaging themselves. Windows Seven is more secure than Vista, but it isn't even close to a UNIX based OS. It is bloated, insecure and buggy. It can't be fixed without a complete rewrite or a hypervisor and there are very good reasons for Microsoft to dislike either.

Apple is busy expanding the computer market with the iPad, rather than fighting over Microsoft's turf. The OS wars are over: Apple won.

Many changes lie ahead when Apple converts to the 64 bit kernel and when the Mac gives up the last vestige of the Classic Mac OS: the Carbon API's.

It is no disadvantage that the losers haven't caught on yet. This partially true because Apple is not attacking Microsoft head on. Apple has more business than it can handle, so why should it begrudge Microsoft its niches?

Miamipro
09-22-10, 14:39
I believe that Apple's value is based on it's consumer products and dominance in that market space. Apple lost the Corporate world a long long time ago. And, to be a little more specific, the OS wars are starting to be taken over by Unix. Not Apple. Apple converted their OS to be Unix based a few years back. Ironic that the protectionist OS company (Apple) finally adopted a platform that is popular due to it's open standards. Apple has won the Consumer products battle at this point. Microsoft's biggest competitor in the Corporate market is this new notion of Cloud Computing and the use of Virtual Computing and Virtual Desktops. An area that Apple is not a large player in at this point.Well I am sure the OS wars in general are probably not over. But right now. Apple is winning. We will see how things shape up over the coming years. It really is exciting because the end user will be enjoying the rewards of future developments.

Funny you mention Cloud Computing. Apple is on the right path for this. They are not taking full advantage of this yet. But from what I hear they have something very big in the works regarding this form of computing.

Wild Walleye
09-22-10, 14:48
I honestly don't care which OS I use so long as it facilitates rather than hinders my productivity. I am not now nor have I ever been vested in the MSFT vs. AAPL argument. I am just a hapless journeyman using subsequent versions of software that worked for me long ago and ever since. . In the immortal words of Freddie Bauer "When something works, you stick with it. "

However, I think you might be missing the picture. This is the real world not a vacuum where the “best” solution will take 100% market share.

QUOTE: Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) passed Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) value to become the new king of tech. That's right: Apple's market cap is now $240 billion, while Microsoft, yesterday's standard-bearer, is sitting at $235 billion. If you're not immediately shocked, you may want to look back at the start of this millennium. Back in 2000, Microsoft was worth around $500 billion and Apple was picking at the edges with $16 billion, even sinking as low as $4 billion at its post-dot-com-bubble lows.I laud Apple's great work. While their computer / laptop and related OS biz is what sparked the turn around, it isn’t what got them from there to where they are today. You pointed out their reasons for success, in your previous post. AAPL didn’t have that run because they kept selling the same old shit. They innovated and gave the customer what they wanted (most didn’t even know they wanted it until AAPL showed them. Funny thing is that their biz plan includes lots of cannibalism (of its own legacy products. My question wasn't who has the largest market cap (if you know what that means.

Over the past decade, Apple's stock kept rising, and Microsoft's kept doing what it has gotten so good at of late. Kind of limping along.Limping? They have LFCF of US$16B, are sitting on US$37B of cash and pay a dividend. For a point of comparison (I have no favorite between the two) AAPL has LFCF of US$7.7B, COH of US$24B and pays no dividend. None of that necessarily makes one better than the other. Both companies have a ratio of shares short to total outstanding of less than 1.35, so I don't think too many pros are betting against either. Therefore, I don't think either is limping.

There is a good reason that Microsoft grew so rapidly, ConstableOdo: it cheated. Look into Microsoft's involvement in OS / 2 and how MS sold IBM down the river. Roughlydrafted. Com has a good explanation of how Microsoft got its dominance. OS / 2 was a more secure OS than Windows 3.1, but OS / 2 had to be sabotaged to give MS a monopoly.

All those advantages, which Microsoft had, have run their course. Do you know any of this first hand or do you just read this stuff? The markets and innovators drove history. While there may have been a Machiavellian maneuver or two, those just make the story sound more interesting. In "olden times" the conventional wisdom was that the value (from a corporate perspective and thus an investor's perspective) was in proprietary hardware. IBM dominated this sector and Lotus 1-2-3 was the go-to spreadsheet software at the time. The concept of scalability was reserved for things piscine. The realization that there was greater value selling standardized software than there was in selling boxes lead to a paradigm shift that affected all software operated equipment (and played more than a walk-on role in the 80’s boom, the LBO-craze and the online availability of porn. The profit focus (of the big players) went from hardware to software. While box manufacturers (IBM, Dell, Gateway, etc) rode the wave of expanding PC sales, it (the profit opportunity) was always destined to be asymmetrical as PC ubiquity became a reality. To sell more software you need cheaper equipment. Ever heard of an “IBM Clone. ” This, in turn, lead to the proliferation of personal computing devices and a myriad of OS platforms. Like MSFT or hate them they saw that hole and ran through it more successfully than any other company.

With the ipod, itouch, iphone, ipad progression, AAPL has helped create its own new reality which again is focused on demand for software (delivered with industry-best usability, so I am told. It is just that in this new reality, you need a new piece of hardware to run the cool software. The truth is that Jobs is a smart man. What he knew was confirmed by the success of Palm. The deeper interpretation of which was that people (those with a modicum of technical capability) loved Palm because they could tweak it and develop applications for palm (I. E. Customize) while at the same time regular folks loved the usability. He exploited what he knew. Excellent job, Jobs.

Let the Apple haters be; Microsoft is doing an excellent job of sabotaging themselves. Windows Seven is more secure than Vista, but it isn't even close to a UNIX based OS. It is bloated, insecure and buggy. It can't be fixed without a complete rewrite or a hypervisor and there are very good reasons for Microsoft to dislike either.“Haters” what is AAPL a pretty girl at school that pisses all the ugly chics off? All of that may be true. You may believe that the Wendy’s Baconator is the best burger in the world but that won’t change the fact that McDonald’s will still sell more Big Macs.

Apple is busy expanding the computer market with the iPad, rather than fighting over Microsoft's turf. The OS wars are over: Apple won.That’s right, AAPL was the first company to ever introduce a table computer, back in April of 2010. I could never figure out why there was a Windows XP Tablet Edition released in 2001.

Many changes lie ahead when Apple converts to the 64 bit kernel and when the Mac gives up the last vestige of the Classic Mac OS: the Carbon API's.Many changes lie ahead in computing in general.

It is no disadvantage that the losers haven't caught on yet. This partially true because Apple is not attacking Microsoft head on. Apple has more business than it can handle, so why should it begrudge Microsoft its niches?Don’t you get it? AAPL stopped trying to go head to head with MSFT more than 10 years ago. If they thought they could take them away and derive greater profits, they’the go after the “niches. ”

Wild Walleye
09-22-10, 14:54
Funny you mention Cloud Computing. Apple is on the right path for this. They are not taking full advantage of this yet. But from what I hear they have something very big in the works regarding this form of computing.To be small?

Again, don't look at cloud solutions to be introduced in a vacuum. It is, after all, just part of the natural evolution of things (remember the "thin client". I recall Unix and MSFT (Citrix) being instrumental in those days (early 90's) and AAPL was not. An exec at Oracle is credited with coining the term.

Miamipro
09-22-10, 15:40
I honestly don't care which OS I use so long as it facilitates rather than hinders my productivity. I am not now nor have I ever been vested in the MSFT vs. AAPL argument. I am just a hapless journeyman using subsequent versions of software that worked for me long ago and ever sinceThats great to hear. Then I would expect you to stop trying to debate me on this.