PDA

View Full Version : Airline tickets through the roof

Trampa
09-28-10, 04:13
I have no idea why it happens but it's basically impossible to buy a round trip to Europe for less then 1500 euro's and to the USA for about 1500/1800 dollar (I am not into flying to the US but keep some track of the prices) and this was about 30 to 50% cheaper last year.

International tourism is about the same then it was in 2008, 2009 (Brazilians and other south Americans are travelling a lot more to Argentina though) and as far as I know most airlines are not flying less to Argentina then they are used to be.

I really can't explain why the airline fares are out of control, I can't find a reason for it other then that South Americans are travelling more but somehow I don't believe that neither.

Can somebody explain it to me?

El Perro
09-28-10, 10:52
I have no idea why it happens but it's basically impossible to buy a round trip to Europe for less then 1500 euro's and to the USA for about 1500/1800 dollar (I am not into flying to the US but keep some track of the prices) and this was about 30 to 50% cheaper last year.

International tourism is about the same then it was in 2008,2009 (Brazilians and other south Americans are travelling a lot more to Argentina though) and as far as I know most airlines are not flying less to Argentina then they are used to be.

I really can't explain why the airline fares are out of control, I can't find a reason for it other then that South Americans are travelling more but somehow I don't believe that neither.

Can somebody explain it to me? Because they want as much of your fucking money as they can get their hands on.

Exon123
09-28-10, 12:13
The economies are pepping up the airline are taking full advantage, the CockSuckers.

Exon

Trampa
09-28-10, 17:51
But I really can't find a reasoning for it, the amount of flights is roughly the same and the foreign visitors from the US / Canada and Europe as well. I frequently check prices and it must that most flights for the rest of the year are already almost fully booked. The only thing I can come up with is that South Americans are travelling more but I doubt it

For the last 5, 6 years I could always get cheap flights with booking in the last week for my flight but it seems I have to prepare for 2000/2500 dollar flights back to Europe

Trampa
09-28-10, 17:53
The economies are pepping up the the airline are taking full advantage, the CockSuckers.

ExonWhich economy? The US and EU ones definitly not.

Jackson
09-28-10, 19:22
The economies are pepping up the airline are taking full advantage, the CockSuckers.

ExonIt's George Bush's fault!

Stan Da Man
09-28-10, 22:29
But I really can't find a reasoning for it, the amount of flights is roughly the same and the foreign visitors from the US / Canada and Europe as well. I frequently check prices and it must that most flights for the rest of the year are already almost fully booked. The only thing I can come up with is that South Americans are travelling more but I doubt it

For the last 5,6 years I could always get cheap flights with booking in the last week for my flight but it seems I have to prepare for 2000/2500 dollar flights back to EuropeAirlines took a lot of planes out of service the past few years. Travel has increased and they're not putting planes back into service as quickly as before. Greater demand with supply not growing as quickly gives airlines pricing power.

It's happening in the USA, as well. I checked two days ago and the American Airlines fares from L. A. To Brazil near the end of this year have doubled over the price last year, and as recently as 3 months ago. I don't think there's any explanation other than "cause they can. " It'll work until competition heats up. With the Delta / Northwest merger near complete, and the Continental / United merger in the works, that will take some time.

Jaimito Cartero
09-29-10, 08:06
Airlines have consolidated, and taken 5-10% of available seats out of the marketplace, as Stan has mentioned. I've paid as much for a coach seat to Asia, as I would have for a biz class ticket a few years ago.

There are some ways around it, though. Many of the heavy duty travelers I know don't even care about status any more, but how to get cheap frequent flyer miles, and use those for trips.

US Airways almost always has some cheap way to buy miles (Transfer 40k miles to someone else, and they double the miles), American Airlines has a bunch of different promos, especially with credit cards. I think they have a 75k bonus one now with Citibank. That's enough for almost 2 off season round trips to EZE.

Things never stay good with the airlines though. If the economy goes further south, or fuel starts going up, they're going to be hurting. Deals can be had when there's blood in the street.

As normal, a number of places to check out for best pricing.

http://www.kayak.com/

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

One other tip, is that you can take advantage of currency fluctuations. If you have a credit card that has no FOREX fees, or a low 1%, if a certain country currency drops a lot, then book on their website. I've done this and saved 10-20%.

When the Ozzie dollar dropped, I booked a number of trips. A couple I even refunded, after it had gone up, and made a 10% profit on.

Trampa
09-29-10, 11:12
Airlines took a lot of planes out of service the past few years. Travel has increased and they're not putting planes back into service as quickly as before. Greater demand with supply not growing as quickly gives airlines pricing power.

It's happening in the USA, as well. I checked two days ago and the American Airlines fares from L. A. To Brazil near the end of this year have doubled over the price last year, and as recently as 3 months ago. I don't think there's any explanation other than "cause they can. " It'll work until competition heats up. With the Delta / Northwest merger near complete, and the Continental / United merger in the works, that will take some time. With the foreign arrivals from NA and Europe basically flat I doubt competition will heat up.

I frequently check flights to Europe and as far I can tell the airlines are keeping the same frequency. There have been some airlines that ran out of business (Air Comet, Air Madrid). But the major European airlines fly about the same as they have been doing for the last 5 years.

Either way with 2000 dollar flights and the general price level in Argentina and can't see international tourism (other then from Brasil) growing

El Perro
09-29-10, 11:35
Either way with 2000 dollar flights and the general price level in Argentina and can't see international tourism (other then from Brasil) growingBrazil might be enough. There are tons of Brazilians coming to BsAs now for short vacations / shopping trips, and spending their money here like water.

Also, for what it's worth, descending on shopping malls in Miami like locusts.

Damman
09-29-10, 12:44
Speaking of airlines. Just returned from BA and when going through Atlanta TSA, went through one of those new x-ray machines. What was peculiar or different for me was TSA would not allow me to carry anything through the xray. No money, billfold, ticket, passport, nothing. My cash and everthying had to be placed in one of those bins. Maybe this is nothing new for some, but I have always been able to at least hold on to my cash. Oh for simpler life.

Wild Walleye
09-29-10, 13:29
Speaking of airlines. Just returned from BA and when going through Atlanta TSA, went through one of those new x-ray machines. What was peculiar or different for me was TSA would not allow me to carry anything through the xray. No money, billfold, ticket, passport, nothing. My cash and everthying had to be placed in one of those bins. Maybe this is nothing new for some, but I have always been able to at least hold on to my cash. Oh for simpler life.

Will they require me to remove my prosthetic member?

I'd stick something funny in my pants (rolled up sock, salami, etc) for a laugh, if I didn't care about spending 4-8 hours being delayed as payback for my prank (and having a 'notation' in my electronic passport file).