PDA

View Full Version : Italy-Buenos Aires: Flight hints

Anonimo2
10-06-10, 03:52
Please, post your suggestions for good and cheap flight from Italy to BA.

Is there any direct charter flight?

Please, post your comment and let's create a list for all Italian travelers.

Jaimito Cartero
10-06-10, 08:58
I flew on the direct MXP-EZE flight on Alitalia a few years back in Biz class using miles. With AZs problems not sure if the still fly it. However, this flight, as part of an around the world trip, cost about 35k points.

If you have airline miles, this may be one of the most economical ways.

Trampa
10-06-10, 14:35

Please, post your comment and let's create a list for all Italian travelers. No just AI

Wild Walleye
10-06-10, 18:59

Please, post your comment and let's create a list for all Italian travelers. Looks kind of expensive.

You will need to check flights through major cities that have service to both Bs As and Italy and stack two or three round trips together.

For instance, you can catch a flight on Ryan Air to many airports that have flights to Bs As (FRA, MAD, London (transfer Gat to LHR to save $1000) for about 10 euros.

Direct flights from LHR, FRA and MAD to EZE are expensive, but maybe there are other major European cities to EZE are less expensive.

You might be better off seeing if you can get to some place like Sao Paulo or Santiago, where you can connect to EZE for $417 and $208, respectively. Check out Mexico city, etc.

You can get from Milano to SAO for about $1000. Similarly, you can get from MXL to Santiago for $1200.

Trampa
10-06-10, 22:49
Looks kind of expensive.

You will need to check flights through major cities that have service to both Bs As and Italy and stack two or three round trips together.

For instance, you can catch a flight on Ryan Air to many airports that have flights to Bs As (FRA, MAD, London (transfer Gat to LHR to save $1000) for about 10 euros.

Direct flights from LHR, FRA and MAD to EZE are expensive, but maybe there are other major European cities to EZE are less expensive.

You might be better off seeing if you can get to some place like Sao Paulo or Santiago, where you can connect to EZE for $417 and $208, respectively. Check out Mexico city, etc.

You can get from Milano to SAO for about $1000. Similarly, you can get from MXL to Santiago for $1200. Most flights to major cities from BA in Europe is going to cost you 1200-1400 euro, it's just the way it is.

If you book a plane with another airline you have a good chance of missing your flight if you have a delay or cancelation. I don't think it's worth it to pay maybe 10% less but that's something anybody can decide on there own

Trampa
10-06-10, 22:50
Also you need to check in and check out with your luggage and you can't label your luggage to your final destination

Wild Walleye
10-07-10, 12:13
Also you need to check in and check out with your luggage and you can't label your luggage to your final destinationYes, there are some risks that come with it. You definitely want to leave extra time and probably want to buy trip insurance.

If the savings is enough the risk is worth it, if not, it isn't. Have a back up plan for each location in which you might get stuck (cheap hotel near airport, etc)

Jaimito Cartero
10-07-10, 12:22
Most real airlines will interline luggage. Low cost ones like Ryanair will usually not. Travel insurance on a per trip basis is usually garbage. Some year long policies can be good.

The biggest problem with buying multiple tickets is that if one flight is delayed, the next airline is NOT obligated to help you out. Often you can use Expedia or Orbitz and select multileg option, and fill out each leg. You are protected much better this way.

Trampa
10-07-10, 13:35
And a cheap airline like Ryanair won't do it. If you do miss your flight you will probally have to buy a new ticket and last minutes are normal pretty expensive

Wild Walleye
10-07-10, 16:35
And a cheap airline like Ryanair won't do it. If you do miss your flight you will probally have to buy a new ticket and last minutes are normal pretty expensiveYou have to understand what you are doing. If you are flying group like Ryanair, you have to understand that you are taking the flying equivalent of a Greyhound bus. They are investigating seats that only let you partially sit down (leaning chairs) so that they can jam more people on the bus.

That said, when your ticket is less than the associated taxes, you often get what you pay for.

JC's point on using something like Orbitz for better protection is a good one.

Trampa
10-07-10, 16:42
I never had to deal with it because I normally buy direct flights that leave me where I want to go but even if you buy a ticket with a major airline carrier within Europe they normally don't allow refunds, changes and stuff like that. If you do miss the flight you will be in a hell of hassle to get on another flight or get your money back.

This might be different if you fly with partner airlines, but again I don't have experience with that