PDA

View Full Version : Buenos Aires Air Quality

Cabroncito
11-23-10, 03:35
Hi.

I am planning a 1-2 month trip to Argentina beginning in March. I prefer a location with lots of stuff to do at night (I only go for non pro's these days, so I think Palermo in BA is a good match. But I also suffer from Asthma so I am wondering how bad the smog is before I book my trip.

To give you an idea about my health / tolerance, I live in San Diego and find the air fine here at the beach. In Los Angeles it is tolerable, but I would not be able to live there long term. Other cities like Medellin and Mexico city make breathing very painful on bad days, not fun at all.

Also would Cordoba be a better place for me? Not sure how the air quality would compare, or if you could recommend another large city in Argentina?

Million de gracias

Trampa
11-23-10, 04:42
I only suffer from a mild form of Astma so I might not be able to help you a lot but if it's a big problem I would consider the area near the American embassy because there are many parks nearby.

You should also look at Puerto Madero as well, it's located fairly central, especially close to micro centro and San Telmo. Going to Palermo does take you 30-45 minutes though. Because it's close to the river and it has many parks you will probally be fine. If you want to spend on luxury appartments the prices tend to be pretty similar to Palermo / Recoleta.

Going to the (northern) suburbs might also be an option

Olivos
11-23-10, 09:42
Hola cabroncito.

If you're going for the non-pro, Palermo is a good place, but do not rule out San telmo. Both have a vibrant nightlife around almost every corner. Air quality is best away from the avenidas (do not take an apartment on any of these or near any of these) and stay away from narrow streets with 15-floor flat building on both sides, bad air keeps hanging between the buildings. There are nice quiet streets with little traffic, Palermo has a lot of relatively good streets around plaza serrano, and the plaza is the nightlife hub. San telmo I don't know all that well, but has nice parts, too.

If you're here for a longer time, do travel to Cordoba. Nightlife is at least as good as in BsAs, particularly if students are your target. Enjoy!

Cabroncito
11-23-10, 17:15
Thanks I appreciate all the advice guys. There are quite a few rentals around plaza serrano, and it is pretty central as far as nightlife goes, so I think I will try to find something near there, or the embassy, which is also close by.

I will also visit San Telmo and Puerto Madero though, since I am considering a long term rental for the future. As much as I love Colombia, and the women, there is very little to do in Medellin and Cali aside from chasing ass. I am hoping Argentina will have more to offer as this is my first visit.

Cordoba sounds interesting, but the info in this forum is pretty old, so I am not clear on where to stay or find nightclubs. I speak spanish but even a google search did not reveal much info, so I am somewhat hesitant to make the extra trip assuming ample talent in BsAs.

Also good advice about avoiding narrow streets surrounded by tall buildings I will keep this in mind and report on my non pro adventures in the Spring!

Thanks.