PDA

View Full Version : Selling and Buying Gold and Silver

Gmx888
12-17-10, 05:43
Does anyone know a dealer where I can sell or buy gold and silver coins?

A lady at a coin / collectibles store I visited in Microcentro mumbled something about a place on Corrientes and Suipacha? I could not entiendo mucho so if anyone is aware of a place I'd appreciate it!

It could be another way to move money / assets in / out of BA.

GMX

Jago25
12-26-10, 23:22
Subscribing to thread. edit: Also, I will investigate this when I next visit and if I find the answer (i'll have a while to look) I'll let you know.

Bear in mind there is, I believe (?) a limit on what gold you can carry in. I think only $500 worth? Not sure about silver.

If anyone here knows what Bitcoin is PM me please.

Seaman
12-27-10, 00:04
Try it at the street named Libertad. That street is one block off Cerrito / 9th of July. The street is known for shops which buy / sell gold etc.

Gmx888
01-03-11, 08:00
Subscribing to this thread as well:Great Jago perhaps you can look into Seaman's recommendation on Libertad and 9th of Julio on your next visit. Gracias! Much appreciated!

Really there is a limit on gold? What does Argentine customs say? I have no clue what Bitcoin is.

Subscribing to thread. Edit: Also, I will investigate this when I next visit and if I find the answer (I'll have a while to look) I'll let you know.

Bear in mind there is, I believe (?) a limit on what gold you can carry in. I think only $500 worth? Not sure about silver.

If anyone here knows what Bitcoin is PM me please.

Towncryr
01-09-11, 11:54
Subscribing to this thread as well:Great Jago perhaps you can look into Seaman's recommendation on Libertad and 9th of Julio on your next visit. Gracias! Much appreciated!

Really there is a limit on gold? What does Argentine customs say? I have no clue what Bitcoin is. About November 1, 2008 Argentina changed the law on bringing gold into the country. It was five days before I was bringing my "metal family" to my new life in Argentina. NO ONE, literally, I was dealing with in the USA knew the law had been changed at that point. The 'family' was sitting on a jet on the tarmac in Miami when someone there informed them of the change. The technical way they did it was to declare gold a "financial instrument." We're talking about 'declared' stuff here. I have a friend who was raised in BA and went to school, mucho anos pasado, with a guy that has gotten to be quite a big player in the BA financial scene. This information came from his assistant. You can bring in amounts less than 10K, undeclared, same as cash."IF" you declare and have more than that amount the Central Bank of Argentina "HOLD" 1/3 of the value for one year. After that period of time "IT" or, more probably, the value thereof will be returned to you. The question I asked myself was 'who' was going to return it, Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?

I am just assuming here that the law has not been changed ot altered by this posting date.

I was attempting to transport the package to Uruguay. I was told that one could fly into BA, stay in the transfer area at airport and catch a plane with the goods to Montevideo. However, from flying into Montevideo in the past I knew that the customs there was fairly thorough so that option was out. BTW, Uruguay, I'm told, is one of the FEW counties in the world where you have to declare gold entering the country.

At that point I had a number of people coming to Argentina to visit. I opted to have my little stash brought down in small amounts by various trusted friends, who willingly complied. BTW, I do NOT live in BA but in a small town in Mendoza Province. Customs is much more relaxed away from BA's busy Intl airport.

When the 'family' was back all assembled and together they were taken to Montevideo via the boat. Getting into Uruguay was no problem with the amount of traffic daily going back and forth. Slid through customs with no problem and the 'family' is now safe and secure in a non-bank private safe deposit box in Montevideo. Mission accomplished!

Don't know about buying / selling there. I have had a couple of experiences in Mendoza City and pretty much got raped on the sell end, especially the second time. I have found a person where I live that knows the score on metals. I try NOT to sell ANY of what has been acquired and transported except when needing to. Also, he and I have worked out an arrangement where we deal with spot price. It saves him on the buying end and me on the selling end and works quite well.

BTW, the USA has NOT, as of this writing, declared gold as a "financial instrument", meaning that you need to declare, but I expect that AND currency controls to be instituted there in the near future.

If you're trying to get anything past customs here's a tip that worked for one of my mules. Someone told me that if you do get stopped just to tell the agent that you're attending a "coin show." This person kept setting off the metal alarm and the agent finally made him show him the goods. I had told him the coin show angle before he left the USA and he used it. Said the guy took a quick glance and waived him right through.

Also realize that these people here are looking for contraband and weapons shapes. Most of them don't know a gold coin from a regular coin. Especially if you have any amount in roll size just put it in your fanny pack or the bottom of a purse and run it through the X-Ray. My experience is that no one will give it a second look. Always, ALWAYS stay calm and just act like you're a regular traveler. If you act nervous or fidgety you'll tip your hand. Read a story last year of a guy transferring through Mexico City to / from Panama City acting like that in the transfer area. They thought he look suspicious and checked his items. They found 150 one ounce coins and confiscated them. Don't know the resolution of that incident but I would expect he never saw them again. If they do just give them the "coin show" story. All they're looking for is a story that fits. As one local here said one day when talking about "the noble metal" was "the only gold I've ever seen is in Bolivians teeth!"

Now, just sit back, enjoy the fantiastic lifestyle Argentina offers and wait!

Buenos suerte!

TC