PDA

View Full Version : Help. I would like advice on the Argentine culture.

Travlnman
12-22-10, 14:19
I have come here to Argentina several times and I am well aware of the Spanish penchant for not observing time closely. But what is the norm and how long do you wait and how do you deal with no shows. Or late arrivals? I am an on-time guy. I think that being deliberately late or not showing is rude.

I have noticed one time in a restaurant that a woman waited 30 minutes for the husband / boyfriend to show up. Another time a well dressed 70 year old woman waited in a nice restaurant about 30 minutes for her friend and then finally left when her friend did not show up.

Once I was with a group of 5. Mostly older people. And we waited outside the apartment of a 25 year old girl for 20 minutes. Next time, same group, same girl was 35 minutes late. And again we were right outside her apartment waiting.

I have had two no shows. And then the girls contacted me later as if nothing ever happened. These are friends, not prostitutes.

I am not sure whether to dump the "friends", politely talk to them about it, or what? How do you deal with it in this culture? I cannot play the same game because it is just my character to be on time.

And, if you are making a "first date" do you tell her the time to meet and "exacto"?

Argento
12-22-10, 21:58
I have come here to Argentina several times and I am well aware of the Spanish penchant for not observing time closely. But what is the norm and how long do you wait and how do you deal with no shows. Or late arrivals? I am an on-time guy. I think that being deliberately late or not showing is rude.

I have noticed one time in a restaurant that a woman waited 30 minutes for the husband / boyfriend to show up. Another time a well dressed 70 year old woman waited in a nice restaurant about 30 minutes for her friend and then finally left when her friend did not show up.

Once I was with a group of 5. Mostly older people. And we waited outside the apartment of a 25 year old girl for 20 minutes. Next time, same group, same girl was 35 minutes late. And again we were right outside her apartment waiting.

I have had two no shows. And then the girls contacted me later as if nothing ever happened. These are friends, not prostitutes.

I am not sure whether to dump the "friends", politely talk to them about it, or what? How do you deal with it in this culture? I cannot play the same game because it is just my character to be on time.

And, if you are making a "first date" do you tell her the time to meet and "exacto"? What you have experienced is the reality. And it will not change. I get around it in business a little by allowing 15 minutes and then get on with the next item. Some businessmen are quick to realize that they need to be punctual to do business with me but they are a minority. Just another aspect of what is the general inconsiderate society in Buenos Aires.

Argento

Jstephy
12-26-10, 01:44
I used to be upset about stuff like that in BsAs. Then one day some one asked me if I knew what the true meaning of "manana" was (as in "I will stop by manana around 11"). To an American it means "I will stop by tomorrow morning at 11". In reality here in Argentina it means literally " I MIGHT stop by tomorrow morning at 11". Or another definition is simply "possibly tomorrow" For any utility you are doing buisness with (such as Cablevision) if they say Wed. Between 1 and 5 add 3-4 hours on that. Its just the way it is. And! If it rains out frikkin forget about it. All hell breaks loose esp in a heavy rain. If you are an "A" type American personality you will go mental long before you change the culture here. Best to lighten up a whole bunch and adjust your expectations. Or go to the Farmicity and get some valiums.