PDA

View Full Version : Garmin

Santa
01-17-11, 14:20
I was thinking about buying a Garmin in the US for my daughter and bringing it to BA. She is presently using a Guido, that is her favorite, but the print in new one I bought last year is so small that you have to use a magnifying glass to read it. The Garmin map for BA and surrounding countries, however, cost more than a Garmin. What is the solution to this problem in BA? Can't image that Portelos are paying 180 U$S for a map. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Member #3320
01-17-11, 15:57
I was thinking about buying a Garmin in the US for my daughter and bringing it to BA. She is presently using a Guido, that is her favorite, but the print in new one I bought last year is so small that you have to use a magnifying glass to read it. The Garmin map for BA and surrounding countries, however, cost more than a Garmin. What is the solution to this problem in BA? Can't image that Portelos are paying 180 U$S for a map. Any advice would be appreciated. ThanksOption 1 :-

Quote :

"Hello, and thank you for asking about GPS maps of Argentina. The Proyecto Mapear maps are very good, autorouting maps and are compatible with.

Most all newer Garmin GPS units, including Garmin nuvi series.

Coverage includes Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, and Uruguay.

We do not sell the maps, we sell the service of pre-loading the maps on plug-and-play SD cards. The maps are freely available from the Proyecto.

Mapear web site (http://www.proyectomapear.com.ar/).

The fee to preload SD-card with the Proyecto Mapear maps is $20 USD, which includes cost SD-card. Shipping is extra.

Shipping to USA address is $4. 95 by priority mail and takes 3 to 4 days. International shipping options are available and the cost depends are where.

You are located and how fast you need the maps.

Reply with your shipping address and delivery preferences and I will send you a PayPal invoice.

- Doug Adomatis."

: unquote.

Option 2 :

Quote :

"Dear Sr.

The information of the GPS Nuvi`s that we are working is attached with all the prices. Please ask for stock of the GPS you are interested.

If you have a Garmin you can buy only tha Map of ArgentinaI.

The cost of the map of Argentine is $ 389 (pesos argentinos) included tax, loaded in SD card / Micro SD card.

The information of the map is attached.

With the map is not a matter the language. Using our Inav map you will be able to hear voice prompts and use menu options in English.

We do not have an online purchase or downloadable method and we just only can provide it to you visiting our store located in Buenos Aires downtown.

If you have any consultation, not doubt in contact us.

Mapas INAV para GPS' es cartografía de propiedad de Geosistemas S. R. L, desarrollada bajo licencia Garmin International, Inc. © Geosistemas S. R. L. Buenos Aires 2009. Todos los derechos reservados. Garmin ® es marca registrada de Garmin International, Inc.

Natalí Gitmanabitch.

Dpto. Comercial. Div. Navegacióand Satelital.

GEOSISTEMAS S. R. L.

Direccióand:

Venezuela 676 (C1095AAN) Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Teléfono:

(011) 4342 9398 int. 139.

Fax:

(011) 4334 9218.

E-mail:

natalig@geosistemassrl.com.ar

Sitio web:

www.geosistemassrl.com.ar"

:unquote.

Hope this helps!

Hooky
02-12-12, 18:02
Resurrecting this thread.

I am considering the question of whether to bring my Garmin Nuvi with loaded-up Argentina maps.

Drawback is that it has a 4. 5" screen and is a little bulky, since it is an older one.

Therefore it could be a hassle to carry around and also is one more thing to get ripped off.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Seaman
02-12-12, 20:14
Are you considering traveling by car? If not, leave it at home. Just get one of the free maps of Buenos Aires. If they rip you off that one, you just get another one. I can't see any reason why to bring a GPS if you are staying in the city and are not using a car.

Hooky
02-13-12, 00:48
Thanks for your advice and for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I'm hoping to do quite a bit of walking and maybe some cycling, just thought it might be fun to be able to check where I'm at occasionally.

Heh, you should have seen me wandering around Old Mazatlan, all the streets look alike.

Cheers!