PDA

View Full Version : Tax-free

Stranger
02-15-11, 04:35
Guys how much alcohol can you legally carry into Argentina?

Argento
02-15-11, 08:03
Guys how much alcohol can you legally carry into Argentina?Why would you bother unless you are brand conscious. But generally from my observations 4 or 5 bottles is not a problem.

Amantelondres
02-15-11, 08:11
Why would you bother unless you are brand conscious. But generally from my observations 4 or 5 bottles is not a problem.More to the point, has anyone tried one of the chicas working in the tax-free area after immigration?

Wild Walleye
02-15-11, 13:11
More to the point, has anyone tried one of the chicas working in the tax-free area after immigration?I have found that most of the chicas don't want to fill out the paperwork so that I can reclaim the VAT when I depart the country. Further, with some of the less enthusiastic providers, one could argue that the value-added isn't 21%

Strad
02-28-11, 23:49
Some local asked me to bring in a set of Wii console, will I have problems at EZE?

Thanks!

Strad

Seaman
03-01-11, 02:03
Some local asked me to bring in a set of Wii console, will I have problems at EZE?

Thanks!

StradMake sure you keep the receipt. If the value on the receipt is under $300 you are ok. The moment you are over you have to pay 50% duty over the amount above $300. So if your total is $350, you have to pay 50% x ($350-$300) = $25.

So I guess you are ok.

Sportsman
03-01-11, 02:31

Thanks!

StradI would also suggest keep it in your carry on luggage rather than checked luggage if you can. I don't trust the baggage handler in EZE.

Strad
03-01-11, 09:54
Make sure you keep the receipt. If the value on the receipt is under $300 you are ok. The moment you are over you have to pay 50% duty over the amount above $300. So if your total is $350, you have to pay 50% x ($350-$300) = $25.

So I guess you are ok. Just curious where Seaman gets this information? My guy told me to remov the box so can I claim "self-use", if Seaman's statement "$300 and under non-taxable" is official, then I just bring the original package with it and claim as a gift to someone?

Strad
03-01-11, 09:55
I would also suggest keep it in your carry on luggage rather than checked luggage if you can. I don't trust the baggage handler in EZE.Travel light, one carry-on, one box of wii!

Seaman
03-01-11, 10:07
Just curious where Seaman gets this information? My guy told me to remov the box so can I claim "self-use", if Seaman's statement "$300 and under non-taxable" is official, then I just bring the original package with it and claim as a gift to someone?I get the information from the customs declaration form. .

Every traveler is allowed to bring in US$300 duty free.

Then they also give you an additional duty free exemption for goods bought in the duty free zone at EZEIZA. (Goods bought at EZEIZA do not count towards the duty free exemption of US$300)

If you are confident that you have nothing else they can "complain" about, then you only have to fill out the customs form with the correct value (you have to do that at the back of the form) and you are all set.

If you are going to bring in other stuff which might be dutiable, then you can consider taking the stuff out of the box and claim that you are using it for yourself and that you will take it with you the moment you leave Argentina. Small things like a Wii should be no problem. But if you are importing a TV / computer monitor they will of course not believe you.

Argento
03-01-11, 10:42
I get the information from the customs declaration form. .

Every traveler is allowed to bring in US$300 duty free.

Then they also give you an additional duty free exemption for goods bought in the duty free zone at EZEIZA. (Goods bought at EZEIZA do not count towards the duty free exemption of US$300)

If you are confident that you have nothing else they can "complain" about, then you only have to fill out the customs form with the correct value (you have to do that at the back of the form) and you are all set.

If you are going to bring in other stuff which might be dutiable, then you can consider taking the stuff out of the box and claim that you are using it for yourself and that you will take it with you the moment you leave Argentina. Small things like a Wii should be no problem. But if you are importing a TV / computer monitor they will of course not believe you. Seaman is absolutely correct. But never, ever fill in a customs declaration. Then they need to find contraband rather than you declaring it. Since they are the most idle of people, they never look for work if it is avoidable. 22 years of many entries and much extra imports including electronics, computers, cheese, tools etc, I have been challenged 3 times and never paid a bean. Most flights into Ezeiza don't require them so don't fill it in. Half the time they don't x-ray bags because of the build-up of passengers and they wave you through. Keep on the left-hand side of the exit queus because when the build-up occurs, this is the one they wave through. And most times you can keep your hand luggage on you and don't need to put it through the x-ray.

Argento

Seaman
03-01-11, 12:46
Seaman is absolutely correct. But never, ever fill in a customs declaration. Then they need to find contraband rather than you declaring it. Since they are the most idle of people, they never look for work if it is avoidable. 22 years of many entries and much extra imports including electronics, computers, cheese, tools etc, I have been challenged 3 times and never paid a bean. Most flights into Ezeiza don't require them so don't fill it in. Half the time they don't x-ray bags because of the build-up of passengers and they wave you through. Keep on the left-hand side of the exit queus because when the build-up occurs, this is the one they wave through. And most times you can keep your hand luggage on you and don't need to put it through the x-ray.

ArgentoIf you are in the situation that every bag is being scanned, try to get into the line of an male operator who is sitting next to a female operator. The guy will most likely try to chat up the girl and not pay attention. However the girl is most likely trying to show that she is capable of doing the "difficult" job and will be paying more attention (and trying to ignore the guy.)

Remember that a female x-ray machine operator "found" the $800k on EZEIZA.

Chica Seeker
03-01-11, 13:54
Seaman is absolutely correct. But never, ever fill in a customs declaration. Then they need to find contraband rather than you declaring it. Since they are the most idle of people, they never look for work if it is avoidable. 22 years of many entries and much extra imports including electronics, computers, cheese, tools etc, I have been challenged 3 times and never paid a bean. Most flights into Ezeiza don't require them so don't fill it in. Half the time they don't x-ray bags because of the build-up of passengers and they wave you through. Keep on the left-hand side of the exit queus because when the build-up occurs, this is the one they wave through. And most times you can keep your hand luggage on you and don't need to put it through the x-ray.

ArgentoI have always filled in the customs form (which includes your address here) but never the delaration. I always thought the declaration was for a resident and not not a visitor, and have never been asked to complete one.

However, I have never brought in items for anyone else either.

Chica Seeker
03-01-11, 14:06
I would also suggest keep it in your carry on luggage rather than checked luggage if you can. I don't trust the baggage handler in EZE.I agree. I was missing some electical converters when I got down here last year. Now I even put them in my carry on!