PDA

View Full Version : Fractional jet seats

Paul Halisco
04-03-11, 00:29
Does anyone know the dope on buying seats on business jets like Gulfstreams going overseas?

They are flying everyday with empty seats.

Shane44
04-03-11, 14:01
As a pilot who use to fly Lears, I can say that the vast majority of the private jets of the size you are talking about [Gulfstreams] are corporately owned and do not make empty seats available to anyone other than perhaps helping kids with terminal illnesses or wounded military personnel and / or their families. Reducing cost by selling an empty seat is not even considered as a factor by corporate CEO's who want to enjoy their privacy without any strangers on board.

Paul Halisco
04-03-11, 22:41
I was hoping by now that someone was doing small jet services like I wanted. If I was willing to pay up.

A reasonable amount.

If 15 people were willing to pay say 1200$ USD to go from LA to Santiago. Would that not pay?

1 way?

Wild Walleye
04-04-11, 14:28
Someone looking to monetize their fractional ownership or you can go to a place like CitationAir or NetJets and lease time on their fleets. I haven't looked the former but, I am sure that there are plenty of folks looking to do this and probably loads of info on certain boards where you can find a way to get the cost down close to the actual operating costs, which will still be significant. Dealing with the jet leasing companies, you won't find any bargains.

LA to Santiago is approximately 5, 500 miles. Flying private, you will almost assuredly need to refuel en route, unless you are in a GV. Flight time will be approximately 18. 20hrs round trip (450-525 knots) with calm conditions. It'll take longer in a smaller jet, especially if you have to stop for fuel more than once.

Super-mid business jets ain't cheap to operate. I'd suspect that you'd be looking at an hourly (in-flight) rate of more than $8K plus other fixed rate expenses, catering, etc. I'd guess, round trip LA to Santiago would run $85-100K, all-in, on a super mid (probably more), if you were part of a fractional owner or had access to someone's fraction. Obviously, the cost would be less on a smaller plane.

You can pre-lease 25 hours on net jets for $115K (plus fees and taxes). You'd get a Hawker 400XP (2 fuels stops each way, slower cruising speed) and max of nine passengers. You'd be looking at better than $10k / person.

Shane44
04-04-11, 16:54
Two thoughts for you Paul. First, almost no large private jets are set up for 15 passengers. There are exceptions, but you are talking G5's and tri-engine Falcons, and even then, not many. Second, remember you will have to pay a round trip fare for a one way trip. The economics are just not with you relative to a first class round trip commercial ticket. Shane