PDA

View Full Version : Changing Pesos back to US Dollars

Sixtimesten2
07-22-11, 02:17
Good day all,

I will be leaving Buenos Aires in a few weeks, and I expect to have about $400pesos left in my pocket on the last day. I'm interested in general tips about changing pesos back to US dollars.

1) Where are my options to go to exchange my leftover pesos back to dollars? At the airport exchange counter, etc.

2) $400p is basically $100US, right? So, will I receive that $100US back, or a lower / higher amount?

3) Is it smarter to exchange my pesos for dollars in Argentina, or should I wait until I am back in the states to exchange it? Or does it not make a difference?

4) Any topic-related anecdotes (pos or neg) that you think might be helpful, would be great, too.

Thank you.

Easy Go
07-22-11, 06:00
Pretty much any bank or cambio in BA will change them back including the Banco Nacion at the airport. There is a spread between buying and selling so you will get a bit less back. You'll see two rates posted for dollars and you'll get the lower one when buying dollars.

Definitely want to exchange them before leaving Argentina. Argentine Pesos are not the global currency of choice and you'll get a terrible rate if you can even find anybody to buy them in the US.

Mrropes
07-22-11, 08:41
For the hassle of finding a bank, standing in line, providing passport etc, I would spend it. Buy some horribhle gifts at the airport or go for lunch before you leave.

Kevins
07-22-11, 09:37
At the airport Ezieza apart from money changers there is Banco de la nacion (as you arrived in buenos aires and left customs it was on your right hand side back to the wall) where they will change it back at the official rate and since we are not talking that much money the diff is minimal. Also don't forget to save pesos for airport exit tax.

David_33
07-22-11, 18:46
Usually a long line at that bank. So give yourself plenty of time. Then check out the exchange rates in the other banks and money changers and you'll be glad you stood in line. Quite a large difference.

Sixtimesten2
07-22-11, 19:32
Thanks for the tips so far.

It sounds like the majority are advocating changing the currency prior to leaving BsAs. And a few have mentioned Banco de la nacion as the best option. When I arrived, I changed dollars to pesos at some "kiosk" that was directly between a few baggage claims, right down the hall from the customs area. Is this the Banco de la nacion, or something different?

Gato Hunter
07-22-11, 21:38
You will probably get better value for your money if you do some duty free shopping with the pesos at EZE.

Sixtimesten2
07-29-11, 11:49
. Also don't forget to save pesos for airport exit tax.Can someone please elaborate on this tax? (The amount, purpose, etc.) I haven't heard of it yet. Also, could it be paid in pesos? Thanks

BlueFalcon
07-29-11, 14:17
Can someone please elaborate on this tax? (The amount, purpose, etc.) I haven't heard of it yet. Also, could it be paid in pesos? ThanksI just bought the $140 ten year visa upon arrival at EZE in June. When I left, I didn't pay exit tax. Same for Chile. I recommend you burn excess Pesos at the Duty free, as you will get hosed on the exchange rate converting them to USD. Better yet, find a gringo who is staying in BsAires for a while and exchange with him at the bank rate, saving both of you the commission.

BF

Dickhead
07-29-11, 21:27
The 29 dollar exit tax, which was and is fixed in dollars and not pesos, and which could always be paid with dollars, euros, pesos, or a credit card, is now included in the price of the ticket, and it's been that way for a couple of years now. This eliminated approximately 0. 005% of the useless government employees in Argentina and so was one tiny step in the right direction, and is one fewer PITA to deal with when leaving. Note that's not related to whether or how you paid the entrance fee.

Sportsman
07-30-11, 23:16
Even though I don't do it, but trading ARS back to USD is not as bad as you think. They exchange rate difference between buying and selling ARS to USD is not that big in BsAs.

For example today's rate for buying pesos in Paris Cambio (http://www.pariscambio.com.ar/) is 4.120, and the selling rate is 4.150. So if you exchange $1000 to pesos and sell it back to them the same day, you will only lose $7.23.

Robcartav
08-16-11, 18:55
I need pesos, I have dollar by paypal.

Somebody?

DaveNYC
04-05-14, 03:53
These posts are a little outdated, can I still exchange pesos back to dollars at the airport if I used a cambio? Or are they going to ask for proof of having originally changed at a legitimate place? Can they check with my passport number or some other such craziness?

Daddy Rulz
04-05-14, 11:30
These posts are a little outdated, can I still exchange pesos back to dollars at the airport if I used a cambio? Or are they going to ask for proof of having originally changed at a legitimate place? Can they check with my passport number or some other such craziness?The last I knew, you can change pesos for dollars at the official rate for up to whatever amount of pesos you bought at an official cambio at the official rate you will need the receipt.

If you're staying downtown, some of us (myself included) are generally happy to take some pesos off your hands at a usurious rate. Ok not really usurious, but right in the middle of the buy / sell rate. You getter a better deal than buying dollars at the blue rate and I get a better deal than selling them. Classic Steven Covey win / win.

Swpc10
11-12-14, 09:29
If you are staying in a hotel, just apply the cash to the bill, and then pay the balance with your credit card.