PDA

View Full Version : French Tourist Killed at Retiro!

TejanoLibre
02-09-12, 20:57
Yesterday at 8am at the base of Baby Ben in Retiro a Frenchman was killed over his camara!

I have warned so many people!

Do not carry around the big, pro rigs in BA!

They caught the little bastard!

MUST DIE NOW!

I'm pissed off!

TL

Rocky2
02-09-12, 21:23
How did the Frenchman get killetd?

Gandolf50
02-09-12, 21:36
Yesterday at 8am at the base of Baby Ben in Retiro a Frenchman was killed over his camara!

I have warned so many people!

Do not carry around the big, pro rigs in BA!

They caught the little bastard!

MUST DIE NOW!

I'm pissed off!

TLWhats worst is he is not the first one! The cock sucker that did this just got out of jail! They just don't care here. The gov't does not pay its bills and does not respect other countries so the people figure they can do what they want also!

Christopherd
02-10-12, 13:48
I have expressed my sympathies for the poor sod on another thread. But as T-J (and maybe some others) feel upset, let's maybe address some other issues.

It was a Frenchman who got killed while behaving (as far as we can tell) like a dickhead. Some of the blame is with him. The world is not his playground, following his rules. But if the government wants to attract more tourist revenue, then maybe there is a reason for them to put more time, effort and money into protecting tourists from themselves.

Personally, one of the attractions for me of South America is precisely that it is not a nanny state. If you want to walk around with a big 'please-mug-me' camera, you should maybe stay at home. Do Argentinians need protecting from themselves on such an issue? Probably not. But if the Argentinians are outraged, they have a perfect right to be.

Not everyone will read good advice. T-J's or otherwise. When you've done your best and something happens, remember you couldn't have done more than your best. And please don't get all angry with someone else, or someone ekse's government. That's just a psychological knee-jerk.

So after hearing the news, I bet a lot of people got paranoid. Certainly I put my (tiny, concealable) camera away until I could make my own reasoned assessment for my own purposes.

But that is what each person needs to do IMO. Work out what is safe for you. Extend your safety zone gradually if you will. Statistically, more people stay alive, even acting as stupidly as the Frenchman, than don't. Buenos Aires is a very photogenic city. Just think before you take a camera out. Switch on your '360 degree vision. ' Assess the safety levels and then proceed (or not) and stay alert.

Unless you are a professional photographer, a very inconspicuous camera will serve for most types of picture. One that you can live without if you get robbed. Finally, if presented with violence, unless you are an ex-marine or something (literally!) don't resist. You shouldn't be carrying more than you can live without unless there is a dire need. If in doubt, live without out it, and stay alive.

Be healthy. Live and love longtime.

Christopherd

Aqualung
02-10-12, 15:01
Things have changed drastically here in the last few years. Not so long ago, here in Buenos Aires city, pick pockets, muggers and so on never carried weapons. This was because if thy were caught they hardly spent more than a few nights in the police station. If a weapon was discovered on them then they would do some real time in jail.

Today, they don't give a fuck. Everyone carries a knife or a gun and is ready to use it at any moment. They don't care because they know they aren't going to get much more than a slap on the wrist. If they have a good lawyer they will be home before the victim is buried.

It is much worse than most people think. The media only report a very small percentage of crimes committed. This murder got a lot of airplay just because it was recorded on camera. Otherwise it wouldn't have had more than a quick mention.

At least two tourists have been raped in the San Telmo area in what goes of this month. I suspect there are many more that don't get reported to the police. Neither of these two were reported in the press.

TejanoLibre
02-10-12, 17:09
How did the Frenchman get killetd?With a SHANK!

I think it would be better to die by a SKANK!

TL.

Stabbed in broad day light with people everywhere!

Dropped the shank and tried to blend into the crowd.

If I had called the TV stations I would have made the news for the 4th. Time in my life!

I have 45 minutes of fame already!

Meforu 2000
02-10-12, 19:40
I was just bad luck for the guy, I have walked from el ovelisco up corrientes at 11pm all the way to chacarita where corrientes ends, with some chick I picked up on the corner of pelegrini and 9 de julio, smoking joints all the way went through some dark places and saw some shady people. But made it home no problem drunk, stoned, and dressed to kill, flirting with the chick all the way to the bedroom. Nice fuck too.

So it's just pure luck or bad luck. When your time comes it comes. But I do carry a nice black blade with me where ever I go just for my personal security.

Feel sorry for the guy

Rev BS
02-10-12, 22:18
Not sure if anyone has posted on this guy, and not sure which forum to post this. Read it for what it is,

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2011/10/and-so-it-ends-for-argentina.html