PDA

View Full Version : Exceeding the $10, 000 limit

El Perro
06-21-12, 14:00
I'm returning to BA soon and looking to bring in more than $10, 000 cash. I've done that before but not since the new fangled surveillance gear in US airports. I'm more concerned about getting popped going out of the USA than any problems at EZE. Any ideas about how to avoid a problem in the states would be appreciated. My experience is that a lot depends on which TSA wizard you happen to get, and whether or not they're on a mission from God.

I would have a total of $10, 000 in a money belt, probably two belts, but where to stash the overage where it wouldn't be seen by the super X-ray gizmo? Or am I giving those machines more credit than they deserve?

This wouldn't be necessary save for the current exchange problems. I would like to avoid the Xoom hassle for as long as possible. Also, you never know how long Xoom might be functioning in Argentina.

El Perro
06-21-12, 14:40
I deleted two posts because I'm looking for info specifically about avoiding problems in USA airports / TSA, and more specifically about that dadgum X-ray thing. I know about Xoom rates and declaring money.

No offense to the posters whose posts were deleted.

SnakeOilSales
06-21-12, 14:51
You will need to avoid the TSA checkpoints that have a Nude-O-Scope full body scanner. If you go through a checkpoint with only the traditional metal detector and it doesn't go off, you will not be patted down.

El Perro
06-21-12, 15:00
You will need to avoid the TSA checkpoints that have a Nude-O-Scope full body scanner. If you go through a checkpoint with only the traditional metal detector and it doesn't go off, you will not be patted down.Thanks Snake. One of the last times I passed through a checkpoint (I forget where) I didn't see an option to avoid the "Nude-O-Scope". Maybe I just missed the option, and I was sure there was supposed to be one. If I do have an option I don't think there is going to be a problem. Its not as though I'm bringing in a suitcase full of bills.

Thanks again.

Damman
06-21-12, 15:01
Think you are giving the Xray thing more credit than it is worth. MY EXPERIENCE with the xray thing is you cannot carry anything through the thing. Everything out of pockets and no money belts, nothing but the clothes on your back. Again, my experience. Have carried more that 10k into Argentina myself. No problems anywhere. It is not illegal to carry more than 10k domestically in the USA or through an airport. Once in the airport system in the USA, your only worry is at the gate when departing for Argentina and Argentine customs. Know it is un-nerving, but they pretty much leave the gringos alone. Good luck.

Member #4112
06-21-12, 16:47
What I have done is I carry the cash in two seperate areas, one in my carry-on with my papers and other documents sans passport, then carry the rest in a standard bank envelope in your coat inside pocket. They end up scanning everything and the cash will show up but if it's split so neither part is over the $10k limit you are less likely to get poped. One other thing you can do is put your carry-on on the belt then put your shoes, coat, belt and other items in the next bin, better yet seperate the two bins with your computer or electronic devices. Just a suggestion.

Your not dealing with mental giants here, if they had a brain they would be dangerous as it is they are mearly troublesome.

El Perro
06-21-12, 19:22
What I have done is I carry the cash in two seperate areas, one in my carry-on with my papers and other documents sans passport, then carry the rest in a standard bank envelope in your coat inside pocket. They end up scanning everything and the cash will show up but if it's split so neither part is over the $10k limit you are less likely to get poped. One other thing you can do is put your carry-on on the belt then put your shoes, coat, belt and other items in the next bin, better yet seperate the two bins with your computer or electronic devices. Just a suggestion.

Your not dealing with mental giants here, if they had a brain they would be dangerous as it is they are mearly troublesome.Thanks for the ideas. That's pretty much the way I was thinking about it as well.

Tequila Tim
06-21-12, 22:08
Dogg,

I would just disperse the bills in some books that are in you carry on bags. X-rays work by highlighting density differences. Paper money, paper book pages. El mismo.

My $0. 02.

TT

Gato Hunter
06-21-12, 22:31
Yen are more dense, or 500 euro notes less of a wad. I would be ok with two money beltsi have precheck so I gt hardly no scan I would be worried about eze more than theUS. I'm bringing a large wad again also let me know how you do.

Meforu 2000
06-21-12, 22:49
I went out of Newark the begining of this month, with United and as I went through the gate, in the jetway I was stoped by the Port Police and was asked questions, am I taking money for some one, how much money are you taking, how long will you be there. This was the first time I went out of Newark because United changed the flight from Dulles to Newark.

Went out of Dulles at least 40 times in ten years and not one explanation, but my first time out of Newark got pulled aside, even with first class tickets, so go figure. And one time I took 50gs and nothing happened it was in my boots.

I will be going back at the end of this month too hope it gos smoother,

Good luck hope it helped

El Perro
06-21-12, 23:19
Dogg,

I would just disperse the bills in some books that are in you carry on bags. X-rays work by highlighting density differences. Paper money, paper book pages. El mismo.

My $0. 02.

TTA good value for two measly cents! Thanks Terquiler!

El Perro
06-21-12, 23:20
Thanks for all the advise fellows! Much appreciated!

Gato Hunter
06-21-12, 23:23
If you took it out of a legit account its not that bad to declare it in the US.

I would not do it at EZE. Then all the goons know you have lots of cash and you could be setup to be mugged or worse.

Member #4112
06-23-12, 12:00
GH, not sure declaring the money to US customs is a good idea, they may notify their brothers in BA a rich gringo is coming with cash so be on the look out! With all the currency restrictions in Argentina today having the cash is enough to raise an eyebrow with the powers that be.

WhiteCat
06-26-12, 19:37
GH, not sure declaring the money to US customs is a good idea, they may notify their brothers in BA a rich gringo is coming with cash so be on the look out! With all the currency restrictions in Argentina today having the cash is enough to raise an eyebrow with the powers that be.1. Never declare in the US.

2. Split it up. I carry some in my pocket, some in the wallet, some in my computer bag, etc. Never had a problem here or in other countries, even Colombia or Cayman Islands where there are agents in the airport waiting area asking if you exceed the limit.

3. Set up a larger ATM limit with your bank. I can take out 1K a day. Sometimes I have to go to more than one ATM.

Punter 127
06-26-12, 21:56
3. Set up a larger ATM limit with your bank. I can take out 1K a day. Sometimes I have to go to more than one ATM.Where in BA can you get USD from a ATM?

Gandolf50
06-27-12, 07:44
Where in BA can you get USD from a ATM?Not any more. Even before this was hit or miss.

El Perro
06-27-12, 11:09
Not any more. Even before this was hit or miss.Not in a long time, unless you had a local bank account denominated in dollars.

But, you can make a visit to Uruguay and pull dollars out of an ATM. Plus, maybe score some herb from the government. Dollars and dope-Uruguay has it going on.

The caveat-apparently the government's dope proposal involves selling pot only to Uruguayan citizens. But, that might not be much of an impediment to the crafty.

Punter 127
06-27-12, 13:50
Not in a long time, unless you had a local bank account denominated in dollars.

But, you can make a visit to Uruguay and pull dollars out of an ATM. Plus, maybe score some herb from the government. Dollars and dope-Uruguay has it going on.

The caveat-apparently the government's dope proposal involves selling pot only to Uruguayan citizens. But, that might not be much of an impediment to the crafty.Sounds like we should all be in Uruguay, LOL.

Just be careful Dogg, if they find out you have more than 10k and did not declare it they can confiscate it all.

I was once forced to show how much money I had in Manila as I was leaving, but they were only interested in Philippine pesos and they only looked at what I had on me, they did not check my bag.

Good Luck!

WhiteCat
06-27-12, 19:07
1. Never declare in the US.

2. Split it up. I carry some in my pocket, some in the wallet, some in my computer bag, etc. Never had a problem here or in other countries, even Colombia or Cayman Islands where there are agents in the airport waiting area asking if you exceed the limit.

3. Set up a larger ATM limit with your bank. I can take out 1K a day. Sometimes I have to go to more than one ATM.Punter, I did not mean to infer dollars. I did mean an ATM for pesos to augment what one takes in. I also remember security in Manila. What an experience. Throw the 3 hour early arrival at the airport out the window! But well worth what we get in return.

Tres3
06-28-12, 13:27
Punter, I did not mean to infer dollars. I did mean an ATM for pesos to augment what one takes in. I also remember security in Manila. What an experience. Throw the 3 hour early arrival at the airport out the window! But well worth what we get in return.You will get a much better exchange rate if you use XOOM. Com instead of an ATM machine.

Tres3

Wild Walleye
07-02-12, 18:33
Where in BA can you get USD from a ATM?Talk about a hot date!

Gato Hunter
07-02-12, 18:39
Colonia And Montevideo Uruguay you can. Get dollars from an ATM. Worth the boat ride. I can pull 1k$per Day go over night to montevideo and I could bring back 2k$ at market rate that's 9000 pesos, on the parallel market that's 2000 x 5. 5 is 11 k pesos more than enough to pay for the buquebus ticket.

As a data point I brought in 4k$ in twentys today all in a large wad buried in my carryon. This is 100 x20's same paper as 10k not a problem. I also brought a 32 inch tv in paid no tax. Don't ask me why I ended up with 20's, my fucking. Bank had no franklins that's ok they are well accepted here. I look at each one like a 100 peso bill