PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the POLICE STATE!

Seismo
08-07-12, 22:27
On my plane ride down here I was not given the usual entry forms. The new system is entirely paperless.

I approached the immigration window and gave my passport. I was told to look into what seemed to be a webcam circa 1993.

They scanned in my passport, took my photo, entered it into the face recognition software database. Then I had to stick my thumb into another scanner for a digital fingerprint. No telling what this info will be used for and who it will be shared with. Or how easy will it be to hack into.

On a lighter note, the supermarkets are required to report anyone buying over 1000 pesos worth of food at once to the tax authorities.

Guiller
08-07-12, 23:05
On a lighter note, the supermarkets are required to report anyone buying over 1000 pesos worth of food at once to the tax authorities.As far as I understand, this is not what the news was about:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?rurl=translate.google.com.ar&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.cronista.com/economiapolitica/Pediran-a-la-AFIP-modificar-norma-que-obliga-informar-compras-superiores-a--1000-en-los-super-20120807-0099.html&usg=ALkJrhg3-QPNKLCfpPNJwdu8O1ssoAM9ow

Original: http://www.cronista.com/economiapolitica/Pediran-a-la-AFIP-modificar-norma-que-obliga-informar-compras-superiores-a--1000-en-los-super-20120807-0099.html

It was an old law of 1998 (Menem's administration) that needs to be updated due to the fact that 1. 000 $ does not represent an important figure today, and the news focuses on that. Some newspapers like Clarin and La Nacion probably presented the news in a different way, but if one wants to be fairly objective, ona has to take note that those two newspapers are on a declared war on this government because their owners (Hector Magnetto and Bartolome Mitre) are being brought to justice for the Papel Prensa affaire on 1976, a case opened by general attorney Molinas in 1986 that remained dormant from 1989 until 2003. They face charges for crimes against humanity that could bring them to prison.

Member #3320
08-08-12, 00:56
They scanned in my passport, took my photo, entered it into the face recognition software database. Then I had to stick my thumb into another scanner for a digital fingerprint. No telling what this info will be used for and who it will be shared with. Or how easy will it be to hack into.What kind of observation is that! USA does the same thing for tourists. No telling what this info will be used for and who it will be shared with. Or how easy will it be to hack into.

Toymann
08-08-12, 02:36
What kind of observation is that! USA does the same thing for tourists. No telling what this info will be used for and who it will be shared with. Or how easy will it be to hack into.I know that the US scans passports, BUT when did they start fingerprinting tourists or taking photos? Maybe I missed this BUt I have never seen a tourist fingerprinted or photgraphed at passport control or immigration. I hope you are not confusing the Global Entry System with what is going on in Argentina. The global entry system is nothing more than a seamless, fast, convenient system to enter the US by frequent international travelors. I got it years ago and IT ROCKS! No lines for me at passport control or immigation and no forms to fill out. Awsome system. Please clarify your post dude. Inquiring minds want to know. Monger on dude. Toyamnn

Toymann
08-08-12, 02:42
On a lighter note, the supermarkets are required to report anyone buying over 1000 pesos worth of food at once to the tax authorities.When did this start, just bought over 2k groceries at Wallmart in Corrienties this past April. Just like I have done at least twice a year for the past several years. Is this just a BA deal?

Happy mongering All,

Toymann

SunSeeker
08-08-12, 02:53
I know that the US scans passports, BUT when did they start fingerprinting tourists or taking photos? Maybe I missed this BUt I have never seen a tourist fingerprinted or photgraphed at passport control or immigration. I hope you are not confusing the Global Entry System with what is going on in Argentina. The global entry system is nothing more than a seamless, fast, convenient system to enter the US by frequent international travelors. I got it years ago and IT ROCKS! No lines for me at passport control or immigation and no forms to fill out. Awsome system. Please clarify your post dude. Inquiring minds want to know. Monger on dude. ToyamnnThe USA did the fingerprint / picture thing with brazilians a few years ago. Brazil immediately did the "tit for tat" to flights coming in from the USA. An american pilot made the headlines by putting the middle finger in his passport at brazilian immigration, for which he was jailed.

I've done the "look in the webcam" type cameras in the middle east for a few years. Can't remember doing it in a lot of other countries though I have seen the cameras.

Found a link to the story. It happened in 2004. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/15/international/americas/15BRAZ.html

Member #3320
08-08-12, 03:10
I know that the US scans passports, BUT when did they start fingerprinting tourists or taking photos?They have been doing it since many many years. Its for tourists. All tourists entering USA give finger prints and photo to the immigration officer plus answer 5-10 personal questions. ( this is the fast mode..btw). If some answer is not Ok, you could be sitting in the immigration office cubicle for 3-4 hrs.

I am not talking about "Global entry" or people with US passports or Permanent residency. I am talking about ordinary mortals entering US.

Hope it answers yr question.

And hence my retort to "sunseeker".

TejanoLibre
08-08-12, 03:19
They have been doing it since many many years. Its for tourists. All tourists entering USA give finger prints and photo to the immigration officer plus answer 5-10 personal questions. (this is the fast mode. BTW). If some answer is not Ok, you could be sitting in the immigration office cubicle for 3-4 hrs.

I am not talking about "Global entry" or people with US passports or Permanent residency. I am talking about ordinary mortals entering US.

Hope it answers yr question.

And hence my retort to "sunseeker".!

They have scaned my eyes and have printed my prints!

You can't fuck with the DHD!

They have had their personality and sense of humor surgicallly removed!

No sense of humor!

Real dicks!

TL

SnakeOilSales
08-08-12, 03:24
ALL non-US passport holders MUST have their photograph and digital fingerprints taken in order to enter at any US airport immigration control. This has been in effect since shortly after the September 11th attacks. This is not limited to tourists; temporary and permanent residents MUST submit to the fingerprinting and photograph as well. US citizens are exempt from this as they cannot be ordered to submit to fingerprinting unless placed under arrest and in fact cannot be denied entry to the USA (temporary and permanent residents can be denied entry).

Seismo
08-08-12, 21:40
I'm aware the US government does this, but it's DIFFERENT when it happens to ME!

Mountaineer
08-08-12, 22:47
Correct Information. Legal Green Card holding Chinese (permanent residents of the USA) are required to do eye scans, fingerprints, and photographs at US Airports when returning to the USA after vacation trips or trips out of the country to visit their families.

ALL non-US passport holders MUST have their photograph and digital fingerprints taken in order to enter at any US airport immigration control. This has been in effect since shortly after the September 11th attacks. This is not limited to tourists; temporary and permanent residents MUST submit to the fingerprinting and photograph as well. US citizens are exempt from this as they cannot be ordered to submit to fingerprinting unless placed under arrest and in fact cannot be denied entry to the USA (temporary and permanent residents can be denied entry).

Brad Pito
08-09-12, 02:42
I was in Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan last week. I believe Singapore was the only country that did not take my picture upon arrival and departure. No fingerprints though.

Yujin
08-09-12, 03:32
They scanned in my passport, took my photo, entered it into the face recognition software database. Then I had to stick my thumb into another scanner for a digital fingerprint. No telling what this info will be used for and who it will be shared with. Or how easy will it be to hack into.My employer has been requiring the same thing. Passport or birth certificate for proof of citizenship. Photos for employee identification cards and for facial recolonization. Employees are also required to use a thumb scan for building access.

One of these days, I'm expecting employers to require DNA from their employees.

El Perro
08-09-12, 13:21
One of these days, I'm expecting employers to require DNA from their employees.No question about it. Only a matter of time.

Yujin
08-12-12, 00:38
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/buenos-aires-subway-shutdown-enters-eighth-day/2012/08/11/c954e8c4-e3f9-11e1-89f7-76e23a982d06_story.html

When in BA, I hardly ever took the metro, but I know it's important to many people there. The striking workers are going to have a problem in getting their demands met if 'the politicians can't even agree on who is running the system let alone where the money should come from. ' Who's going to blink first and admit the problem is theirs: President Cristina Fernandez or Buenos Aires Mayor Mauricio Macri? An interesting power struggle.

Gandolf50
08-12-12, 06:00
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/buenos-aires-subway-shutdown-enters-eighth-day/2012/08/11/c954e8c4-e3f9-11e1-89f7-76e23a982d06_story.html

When in BA, I hardly ever took the metro, but I know it's important to many people there. The striking workers are going to have a problem in getting their demands met if 'the politicians can't even agree on who is running the system let alone where the money should come from. ' Who's going to blink first and admit the problem is theirs: President Cristina Fernandez or Buenos Aires Mayor Mauricio Macri? An interesting power struggle.Queen Christina won't blink. She thinks this is working in her favor because Macri had the gall to announce his intention to run for president next time. She thinks this makes him look bad and not her. She does one of her whimisical decrees and "Presto" the subways become property of Macri. It would not surprise me if she instigated the strike. Its her style.

SunSeeker
08-19-12, 12:52
ALL non-US passport holders MUST have their photograph and digital fingerprints taken in order to enter at any US airport immigration control. This has been in effect since shortly after the September 11th attacks. This is not limited to tourists; temporary and permanent residents MUST submit to the fingerprinting and photograph as well. US citizens are exempt from this as they cannot be ordered to submit to fingerprinting unless placed under arrest and in fact cannot be denied entry to the USA (temporary and permanent residents can be denied entry).This is done even if you only have a CONNECTING flight in the USA. Even had to clear Customs, pick up the suitcase and deposit it at another location before going BACK through Security again. I just had to do this on a quick trip from BA to Canada, but was told I wouldn't on my return trip from Canada to BA. I will find out next week if it is true or not.

SS