PDA

View Full Version : The bang for buck 2008 versus 2012

Member #3320
08-28-12, 01:21
Guys,

What do you feel :

Is the the BA monger of 2012 better off than BA monger of 2008.

This question is more old / experienced BA mongers.

Sad as it sounds, I think it has never been so good for the mongers in BA.

Sex tourists are in short supply. The men of BA are short of money. Flights have become expensive. Expats are actually leaving BA.

Is this the best time to be in BA for the monger? (Though my heart goes out for people affected by the bad economy).

I personally feel, it was never so good basis my recent exploits with working chicas in BA.

Am I imagining it?

Your thoughts? No sarcasm please.

Gandolf50
08-28-12, 06:39
Guys,

What do you feel :

Is the the BA monger of 2012 better off than BA monger of 2008.

This question is more old / experienced BA mongers.

Sad as it sounds, I think it has never been so good for the mongers in BA.

Sex tourists are in short supply. The men of BA are short of money. Flights have become expensive. Expats are actually leaving BA.

Is this the best time to be in BA for the monger? (Though my heart goes out for people affected by the bad economy).

I personally feel, it was never so good basis my recent exploits with working chicas in BA.

Am I imagining it?

Your thoughts? No sarcasm please.Personally I think things have gone down hill. Inflation here has wiped out any advantage to the better exchange rate. Also the attitudes for most of the girls has changed from the friendly girlfriend to the hungry and desperate shark. Of course if your own personal income has tripled since 2008 then you have kept up with inflation here. But I don't think too many people can say that. Whats even worse is that I think things are going to get worse before they get better. The policy's of the "tres chifilados" seem bent on destroying the country just like Chavez has done to Venezuela. In the places that I used to frequent chica drinks have gone up 400% while the actual costs have only gone up around 100. While I can afford to pay it, it annoys me because I feel they are robbing me. But then, every one has their own experiences and preferences! The best of luck to every one where ever you might go!

Daddy Rulz
08-28-12, 09:38
When I first came here in 2002 I got 2-1 on dollars. Smokes were. 75 coffee was about 1. 75, dinner ran from 7-25, taxi drop was 1 no idea about busses, chicas from black were 100, privado and triangle chicas about 50.

When I left in 2007 I was getting 3-1 smokes 1. 33, coffee 2. 10, dinner 6-25, I forget the taxi drop but it was more, busses were. 25 and the subte. 35, privado, triangle, and known chicas were getting 50 and I fucked one chica that worked at Newport for 75 and one at Black for 100.

Now I get 6-1 at xoom (4. 6 today offical) with xoom I'm paying 1. 5 for smokes. 2.15 for coffee, dinner is between 9-25, taxi drop is 1. 20, busses are. 20 and the subte is. 35 and I'm paying between 40-50 at a privado, (until I find a gig there will be no club chicas)

All those prices are in dollars so it's actually not that bad. Today though I don't think it dollars, I think in pesos so it FEELS expensive as hell.

El Perro
08-28-12, 11:16
I'm for shit with math, so I can't tell whether over 6 with the exchange rate makes up for the escalating prices of everything or not. I can say that from a non-mongering perspective, living in BA is not as enjoyable as it once was. The vibe on the street lacks the energy and spontaneity of a few years ago. The constant political battles and inflation weigh on many of the locals. After the economic implosion over ten years ago, when things began to improve, the locals seemed to have more hope, vim and vigor. That is dissipating for many. The exodus of many mongers who either used to live here, or were frequent visitors, has degraded the enjoyment factor as well.

Also, I don't think I can blame all of this on Argentina. Much of the world is hurting economically and there has been a decrease in folks arriving here with a positive attitude. The shit has hit the fan all over. Keep an eye on China, Vietnam and SE Asia as a whole. They have a humongous RE bubble, that is likely to cause as much mayhem as it did in the USA and parts of Europe.

It is worth noting that the money still flows here for some. I was talking to a local friend the other day, and he unwittingly invoked a Reagan era mantra,"I'm a lot better off now than I was eight years ago". So, for some people here life / income is better.

BillyAnderson
08-28-12, 16:25
So, do you think it is still a good place to visit?

I'm thinking about making a trip soon

El Perro
08-28-12, 16:47
So, do you think it is still a good place to visit?

I'm thinking about making a trip soonDon't let my bellyaching stop you. Still a helluva lot better than a lot of places!

BillyAnderson
08-28-12, 16:56
Thanks. I emailed Roxene.

Planning a trip in nov or early 2013

Mpexy
08-28-12, 20:12
Not quite anything to hang hat on but I used to track inflation by off the cuff Freddos ice cream price.

When I left in 2008 after 3 years, large cone was 17. 50 pesos, with exchange about 3:1. So call it about $6 USD (just under)

Currently 2012 it's 27 pesos at roughly 6:1 exchange. Call it $4. 5 USD.

Given caveat one item doesn't make that accurate an index, at least for ice cream it's cheaper in real dollar terms now than 2008.

Although I also recall when I first got here 2005, the price was 7. 50 pesos. So it had already grown by 233% just between 2005 to 2008.

Not as exact but all the other usual places I go. Palermo Indian restaurant, Belgrano Chinese and Japanese places, usual Recoleta and Puerto Madero restaurants. Seems either just bit cheaper in real dollar terms after 6:1 exchange or about even from my 2008 recollection.

Oddly. Electronics seem lot cheaper now though. Bought an iPod touch 32gb as a gift from compumundo and at $1999 pesos it was barely $333 USD, which isn't that much more from US Apple Store retail $299.

I recall electronics like this being 50-100% more than states prices back in 2008

Dickhead
08-28-12, 22:24
Another thing you have to look at when considering inflation in food prices is how much smaller the portions have gotten over the last ten years. Some of that needed to happen, probably, but it's gotten out of control. Also, several of the things I commonly bought at the grocery store were downsized, such as the yogurt "potes" going from 200 ml to 190. They pull that shit in the US, too, of course.

Freddo is made with all local ingredients, so a "Freddo Index" would not be affected by the silly trade policies of CFK. In fact, since sugar is subsidized (I think, still) that might mute or mitigate some of the inflation in ice cream.

I could use an "alfajor index." In 2003 a Tri-Shot cost $0,90. In 2012 it cost $5,50. Respective NON black market exchange rates were 3,25 and 4,50. So that converts to 27.69 cents and 122.22 cents. Taking the ninth root of this and subtracting one, we get a compound dollar inflation rate of 17.94% per annum. Obviously if you plug in a black market rate of say 6.1:1, it changes things. That would give you a more modest 14.02% rate. Still pretty fooken' high. And what percentage of visitors to Argentina are able and willing to avail themselves of the black market? For that matter, what percentage of ex-pats are even doing it?

SunSeeker
08-28-12, 23:50
And what percentage of visitors to Argentina are able and willing to avail themselves of the black market? For that matter, what percentage of ex-pats are even doing it?It has been so long since I used my ATM card that I forgot the pin when I had to go to canada a couple of weeks ago! I've only used the Cervino cueva since arriving in June. No way I will use the card here in BA. I see the prices in the supermarket going up almost daily.

Silver Star
08-29-12, 00:14
It has been so long since I used my ATM card that I forgot the pin when I had to go to canada a couple of weeks ago! I've only used the Cervino cueva since arriving in June. No way I will use the card here in BA. I see the prices in the supermarket going up almost daily.In Dec 2008 parking at EZE airport was 8 pesos an hour@3. 45, now it is 20 pesos an hour@4. 60 or 6 depending on which exchange rate. Haircut was 15 and is now 45. So in these cases, even at blue rate, things are worse now, less bang for the buck.

Esten
08-29-12, 00:15
The recent Black discussion prompted me to pull up some numbers from past years, to compare with what I'd likely pay later this year. For a night at Black, including entrance fee / 1 drink, another drink for the chica, and a negotiated chica fee (in USD) :

2004 1 night@Black = $150
2008 1 night@Black = $250
2012 1 night@Black = $350

The inflation would have been worse without the better exchange rate. At the high end clubs, definately less bang for the buck. But as I said before it's all mental. If your income also went up a few thousand over the years, then "affordability" could still be comparable.

SunSeeker
08-29-12, 00:31
2012 1 night@Black = $350Damn! That is 6 or 7 sessions at 300-400 ars per. And there is lots of chicas out there at those prices.

Member #3320
08-29-12, 03:02
In Dec 2008 parking at EZE airport was 8 pesos an hour@3. 45, now it is 20 pesos an hour@4. 60 or 6 depending on which exchange rate. Haircut was 15 and is now 45. So in these cases, even at blue rate, things are worse now, less bang for the buck.Fred,

What are the possibilities of long term parking at EZE or AEP. Like 2-4 days.

Member #3320
08-29-12, 03:09
We started talking of groceries and parking fees.

I know pussy is more expensive than it was in 2003 or 2008.

But I feel that it was never better for the monger than now.

My take being, reduced expats, lesser sex tourists, reduced disposable income for Argentines and higher inflation leading to more prostitution.

Jackpot
08-29-12, 04:13
Another thing you have to look at when considering inflation in food prices is how much smaller the portions have gotten over the last ten years. Some of that needed to happen, probably, but it's gotten out of control. Also, several of the things I commonly bought at the grocery store were downsized, such as the yogurt "potes" going from 200 ml to 190. They pull that shit in the US, too, of course.

Freddo is made with all local ingredients, so a "Freddo Index" would not be affected by the silly trade policies of CFK. In fact, since sugar is subsidized (I think, still) that might mute or mitigate some of the inflation in ice cream.

I could use an "alfajor index." In 2003 a Tri-Shot cost $0, 90. In 2012 it cost $5, 50. Respective NON black market exchange rates were 3, 25 and 4, 50. So that converts to 27. 69 cents and 122. 22 cents. Taking the ninth root of this and subtracting one, we get a compound dollar inflation rate of 17. 94% per annum. Obviously if you plug in a black market rate of say 6. 1:1, it changes things. That would give you a more modest 14. 02% rate. Still pretty fooken' high. And what percentage of visitors to Argentina are able and willing to avail themselves of the black market? For that matter, what percentage of ex-pats are even doing it?Please save me some of the substance that got you to the ninth root and subtract one equation for calculating a compound dollar rate of inflation.

Jackpot

Rocky2
08-29-12, 04:33
Please save me some of the substance that got you to the ninth root and subtract one equation for calculating a compound dollar rate of inflation.

Jackpot.9 to 6. 5 ninth root? I need to learn that one. Laughing my ass off

Dickhead
08-29-12, 07:51
Please save me some of the substance that got you to the ninth root and subtract one equation for calculating a compound dollar rate of inflation.

Jackpot

I see I left a word out of the sentence. It should read: "the ninth root of this ratio." Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. I was pretty baked when I wrote it.

Gato Hunter
08-29-12, 13:18
From what I can remember 2008 was a much better deal even with 2012 blue dollars.

Daddy Rulz
08-29-12, 13:33
From what I can remember.Which isn't much I wager. Sorry bubba couldn't help myself.

Silver Star
08-29-12, 21:18
Fred,

What are the possibilities of long term parking at EZE or AEP. Like 2-4 days.The max per day in terminal B or C parking is 80 pesos a day. More in Terminal A parking, I think 120? But you can find covered.

No problem to park for 4 days.

AEP is 80 peso max per day, 4 days no problem. Park in South parling, will be covered.

Fred

Gandolf50
08-29-12, 21:44
If I was only coming here to monger or party, I would no longer come. I remember Round trip flights from the west coast on Taca for $450US! You could even get a overnight lay over (22 hours on the ground) in San Jose and enjoy the Ticas on he way down! Now its $1500 and more. Door to door travel was around 22 hours. (without the layover of course!) I could be in Japan faster! I can remember buying FIVE chicas drinks for a TOTAL of $100p (20p each) and having five girls competing for who would be the one to leave with me. Its not just the chica and drink pricing, its everything! Gas oil for my truck used to be 1. 19p, now its 6. 68p and still climbing! While there are still deals to be found, it just isn't the same. As some one said on another thread "The magic is gone!"

Member #3320
08-29-12, 22:02
If I was only coming here to monger or party, I would no longer come. I remember Round trip flights from the west coast on Taca for $450US! You could even get a overnight lay over (22 hours on the ground) in San Jose and enjoy the Ticas on he way down! Now its $1500 and more. Door to door travel was around 22 hours. (without the layover of course!) I could be in Japan faster! I can remember buying FIVE chicas drinks for a TOTAL of $100p (20p each) and having five girls competing for who would be the one to leave with me. Its not just the chica and drink pricing, its everything! Gas oil for my truck used to be 1. 19p, now its 6. 68p and still climbing! While there are still deals to be found, it just isn't the same. As some one said on another thread "The magic is gone!"So what are the options for the monger on budget.

SunSeeker
08-29-12, 22:12
So what are the options for the monger on budget.Stay away from the $500+ chicas and BA puss is cheap. Cheaper then Rio, Cartagena, Thailand, and I'll find out over the next 2 weeks if it is cheaper than Cali and Barranquilla.

Daddy Rulz
08-29-12, 22:53
The max per day in terminal B or C parking is 80 pesos a day. More in Terminal A parking, I think 120? But you can find covered.

No problem to park for 4 days.

AEP is 80 peso max per day. 4 days no problem. Park in South parling, will be covered.

FredAlso if you're going to be there for a couple days go up to the higher levels. You will find a spot closer to the elevator and there will be less cars. For the most part these guys haven't twigged to the concept that with an elevator level 5 is a good as level 2. The lower levels will be PACKED with cars and little or nothing above. Less chance of coming back and finding that somebody tried to park their car in the half space between yours and the next and took off your quarter panel as well.

Member #3320
08-29-12, 23:14
Stay away from the $500+ chicas and BA puss is cheap. Cheaper then Rio, Cartagena, Thailand, and I'll find out over the next 2 weeks if it is cheaper than Cali and Barranquilla.I used to love Cali and Barranquilla. I met some sweethearts there in the 90's and early 00's. Haven't mongered there for 10 years now. Would love your update on those 2 cities here on AP also (if possible). I know ISG is the place to do it.

I was in Bangkok in June. It has become expensive beyond belief. Short time comes to at least 2000 bahts including ladies drink, bar fine etc Gone were the days of 500 baht.

Gato Hunter
08-30-12, 00:10
My first fuck in BA around 2003 was 175 pesos with a girl that would be 5-600 today. It was 3. 33 then I belive.

In 2008 I could afford Madahos every night, now I don't go at all.

Gato Hunter
08-30-12, 00:16
Which isn't much I wager. Sorry bubba couldn't help myself.I remembered your ugly mug over a longer period jejejejejejee!

I remeber a trip around then where I had a 250$ a day budget and had a surpluses, now on a really crazy nigh I could do 500$ easy but I'm in way deeper seedy shit and more connected. Than I was then.

Wwe call the months salary of 3000pesos a night of walking around money, that you can make anything happen in one oht with that money. I really can't stand being out for a while drinking and then something comes up and not having the f inds on me to make it happen. A months saralry has never gone wrong. When I come back next year for my bday months salary will happen 60% of the days I'm there the rest I can recover on 1500 pesos a day. And still get laid teicdsand eat good food and pay for weed.

Damman
08-30-12, 15:02
Of all the inflation BS that has plagued AR over the past years, taxi fare is the one item that has cramped my boring life style more than anything. Not all that long ago a 100 peso note would enrage a cab driver, now it about covers the fare. Am a creature of habit, BA remains my destination. Seems I just trade one form of horse-shit for another when I try to geta bigger bang for my buck somewhere else. Exchange rate has certainly helped with sticker shock. Thank- You Cristina.

Mountaineer
08-30-12, 16:00
Of all the inflation BS that has plagued AR over the past years, taxi fare is the one item that has cramped my boring life style more than anything. Not all that long ago a 100 peso note would enrage a cab driver, now it about covers the fare. Am a creature of habit, BA remains my destination. Seems I just trade one form of horse-shit for another when I try to geta bigger bang for my buck somewhere else. Exchange rate has certainly helped with sticker shock. Thank- You Cristina.Is there any REASONABLE PRICED airport taxi service that is safe to use from either AEP or EZE?

SunSeeker
08-30-12, 16:23
Is there any REASONABLE PRICED airport taxi service that is safe to use from either AEP or EZE?To-from eze I've used http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/ 160 pesos to eze from alto palermo. 198 pesos from eze. I've booked them again for Sunday early early am.

Palermitano40
08-30-12, 22:47
We started talking of groceries and parking fees.

I know pussy is more expensive than it was in 2003 or 2008.

My take being, reduced expats, lesser sex tourists, reduced disposable income for Argentines and higher inflation leading to more prostitution.Spot on! And it's just the beginning.

Daddy Rulz
08-31-12, 22:01
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/31/michigan-man-prostitute-price-hike_n_1846660.html#slide=more243324

Call the friggen cops!

Wild Walleye
09-06-12, 02:44
My first fuck in BA around 2003 was 175 pesos with a girl that would be 5-600 today. It was 3. 33 then I belive.

In 2008 I could afford Madahos every night, now I don't go at all.My first foray into Argentine waters was mid 2007 at 1707 Ste Fe with a solid 7-8 (I want to say her name was Genie). It was about $38 (AR$120@AR$3. 08:U$D) for an hour with bbbjtcimnsnqs and a good shag. Sometime later that year, I think it was about AR$300 for a romp with a chica form Madahos.

I must say that at least Christina is doing her part to make Bs As more financially hospitable to mongers.

MacHug
09-12-12, 20:55
What am I doing wrong?

I have been to NP and taken out a decent looking girl, maybe a 7, price was 250 + taxi, pretty long hour. I have been to Gatto's, taken out a very decent looking girl, for sure an 8 in my books. 250 + tip + taxi. I don't understand the prices that are being discussed here. I am definitely not goodlooking, not young and don't buy these girls more than 1 drink, no promises for repeats.

This was all in 2012, not in a land far far away, but here in Buenos Aires. For sure, they all started with ridiculous prices, some girls have left me immediately hearing my counterproposal, but it can be done.

A quick deposit with a very decent looking girl during office hours can be had for 100 ARS: look for Barbi in recompletas. Com. Photoshop: < 5.

Daddy Rulz
09-12-12, 21:17
What am I doing wrong?

I have been to NP and taken out a decent looking girl, maybe a 7, price was 250 + taxi, pretty long hour. I have been to Gatto's, taken out a very decent looking girl, for sure an 8 in my books. 250 + tip + taxi. I don't understand the prices that are being discussed here. I am definitely not goodlooking, not young and don't buy these girls more than 1 drink, no promises for repeats.

This was all in 2012, not in a land far far away, but here in Buenos Aires. For sure, they all started with ridiculous prices, some girls have left me immediately hearing my counterproposal, but it can be done.

A quick deposit with a very decent looking girl during office hours can be had for 100 ARS: look for Barbi in recompletas. Com. Photoshop: < 5.If all those prices are pesos (and I assume they are) I'd say you aren't doing a goddamn thing wrong, rinse cock and repeat.

Wild Walleye
09-13-12, 14:27
If your prices are all in AR$, you are doing very well.

Just for a point of comparison, in mid 2007 the exchange rate was AR$3.08:US$1.00. If I went for a 1 hour romp at any number of my favorite places, it might have run me AR$150 (sin propinas) or US$48. Today, at the blue rate (approx AR$6.0:US$1.00) , that US$48 is nearly AR$300.

MacHug
09-13-12, 17:52
Just to clarify: all the prices I quoted are in ARS.

I have paid more (in the range quoted in other posts) for chicas (when I was a newbie) , but I can't say that the quality in experience rose in line with the amount paid. Having said this: if you are happy with the experience and what you paid for it: good on you. If you don't speak basic Spanish however, I don't think it's possible to achieve the rates quoted.