PDA

View Full Version : Rubber or Souvenirs to get

LateNightExcur
12-17-12, 05:47
Is there any particular type of rubber that's good down here that they don't sell in the States? Looking to bring some back, but then I feel like I can find anything online.

Or any souvenirs I can get down here for people back at home? Anything really, special, unique, and inexpensive.

I already have Mate & Dulce de leche on my list.

Daddy Rulz
12-17-12, 12:09
Is there any particular type of rubber that's good down here that they don't sell in the States? Looking to bring some back, but then I feel like I can find anything online.

Or any souvenirs I can get down here for people back at home? Anything really, special, unique, and inexpensive.

I already have Mate & Dulce de leche on my list.I've never seen any of the Prime line in the States. I just can't imagine anything you could buy here being better than the best you could find up there though.

LateNightExcur
12-17-12, 15:28
I've never seen any of the Prime line in the States. I just can't imagine anything you could buy here being better than the best you could find up there though.Totally agree. Just feel weird going back empty handed including myself. No gifts for friends and family. I haven't done much shopping down here.

Dickhead
12-17-12, 19:21
Those jams and jellies from Villa La Angostura and around there are pretty good. Really, Argentina doesn't produce very many good products so that kind of limits things.

Daddy Rulz
12-17-12, 22:37
Totally agree. Just feel weird going back empty handed including myself. No gifts for friends and family. I haven't done much shopping down here.F&F gifts;

These go over well.

1. Those fake bolos that the cowboys use.

2. Coasters with BsAs photos, these are all over the place, they are cheap and people like and use them.

3. Spices for Chimi-Churri (I'm 95% you can get these through customes, I seem to remember that dried spices aren't considered food, but check the web site)

4. Obscure tango CD's.

5. Mate's and Bombillas, I don't know if you're going to be here until next Sunday but there is a couple on Defensa, right by the bench with Mafalda http://goo.gl/maps/au1h2 That do custom ones that are nice. They made me a pair with Steelers logo.

Hope this helps

AllIWantIsLove
12-18-12, 02:07
<snip

3. Spices for Chimi-Churri (I'm 95% you can get these through customes, I seem to remember that dried spices aren't considered food, but check the web site)

<snip Where do you find such spices? When I have bought chimi-churri (and I have always been disappointed) I haven't noticed any spices nearby.

Do they include a receipe?

Thanks, Bob

Chezz
12-18-12, 02:12
I usually bring home a few bottles of wine, usually Malbecs or blends. Also, Alfajores from Havanna seem to go over well, especially over the holidays.

There's plenty of shitty wine for sale, so choose carefully. Anything by Vistalba (Corte A or B) or O. Fornier (Alfa or Beta Crux) is of fairly high quality. Mid-range you can't go wrong with a Luigi Bosca DOC or Norton Reserva.

Regarding chimi-churri, I always buy the pre-mixed packages of dry herbs and spices. Though that can be hit or miss as there are so many different variations; I usually end up adding chopped fresh parsley to the mix, which defeats the purpose of a gift. Anyway, I've never had any problems with the airlines.

Toymann
12-18-12, 03:24
Regarding chimi-churri, I always buy the pre-mixed packages of dry herbs and spices. Though that can be hit or miss as there are so many different variations; I usually end up adding chopped fresh parsley to the mix, which defeats the purpose of a gift. Anyway, I've never had any problems with the airlines.I have been bringing Alicante chimi back with me for yeArs. Both 50 and 25 gram packages. Absolutely no issue for the airlines what So ever. Either checked or carry on baggage. Monger on all. Toymann.

Ps. Chimi pro tip. Our US vinegar products seem to be stronger than the argentine counter parts. Although the receipe calls for 1 part vinegar and 1 part olive oil to 1 part of seasonings, you get best results reducing the vinegar portion by 50 percent. Just my dos centavos. Toymann

Toymann
12-18-12, 03:30
Where do you find such spices? When I have bought chimi-churri (and I have always been disappointed) I haven't noticed any spices nearby.

Do they include a receipe?

Thanks, BobMy preference is Alicante, but you can find as many as 5 or 6 varieties in any decent Argie supermarcado. I prefer the packaged dry spices compared to the premixed as they keep better back in the US. As far as premixed, I really like the hellman's variety myself. Go figure. LOL. Toymann.

Ps. One last chimi tip. If you want good chimi you need to mx it up 4 to 5 days prior to serving. It seems to need a few days to mature to optimal flavor. Don't forget to add oil every day during this process.

Daddy Rulz
12-18-12, 09:18
I have been bringing Alicante chimi back with me for yeArs. Both 50 and 25 gram packages. Absolutely no issue for the airlines what So ever. Either checked or carry on baggage. Monger on all. Toymann.

Ps. Chimi pro tip. Our US vinegar products seem to be stronger than the argentine counter parts. Although the receipe calls for 1 part vinegar and 1 part olive oil to 1 part of seasonings, you get best results reducing the vinegar portion by 50 percent. Just my dos centavos. ToymannAs much as it pains me to agree with TM on any subject I agree about the vinegar, my gastriques come out too sweet all the time. I've never used them but in any disco, or pretty much any supermarket, they sell prepackaged chimi sauce. My money says ask your maid what she uses. My friends in Corrientes use the pack of green spices, olive oil, vinegar, and a healthy splash of Sabor.

Chezz is right about the wine, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Though what I would do is buy the bottles back in the states, pay the 30-40% markup, remove the import lables, and just lie and say you bought them here, that way there is zero chance of my brothers that still work for the airline breaking the bottles in your luggage while they are using your bag for futbal practice when they are bored.

AllIWantIsLove
12-19-12, 03:42
Thanks TM.

What all do you need to add to the packaged dry spices? From other posts I gather olive oil and vinegar. Anything else?

Thanks, Bob.

My preference is Alicante, but you can find as many as 5 or 6 varieties in any decent Argie supermarcado. I prefer the packaged dry spices compared to the premixed as they keep better back in the US. As far as premixed, I really like the hellman's variety myself. Go figure. LOL. Toymann.

Ps. One last chimi tip. If you want good chimi you need to mx it up 4 to 5 days prior to serving. It seems to need a few days to mature to optimal flavor. Don't forget to add oil every day during this process.

Toymann
12-19-12, 13:55
Thanks TM.

What all do you need to add to the packaged dry spices? From other posts I gather olive oil and vinegar. Anything else?

Thanks, Bob.Prefer balsamic vinegar actually, sometimes some finely chopped black olives, you can experiment but oil and vinegar is all you need. Remember, only half the vinegar if it is American. Hope this helps. Toymann

SunSeeker
12-19-12, 15:39
F&F gifts;

These go over well.

3. Spices for Chimi-Churri (I'm 95% you can get these through customes, I seem to remember that dried spices aren't considered food, but check the web site) Ok what the heck is chimi-churri?

I've been looking for something for a couple of brazileiras I will be seeing in a few days, but all I am seeing so far is crap, can't seem to find anything small, cute, and funny, other than chicas (smiley face).

TejanoLibre
12-19-12, 16:58
Ok what the heck is chimi-churri?

I've been looking for something for a couple of brazileiras I will be seeing in a few days, but all I am seeing so far is crap, can't seem to find anything small, cute, and funny, other than chicas (smiley face)."Jimmy Curry"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimichurri

They probably already have some at home.

Inexpensive hand-made jewelry in San Telmo on the weekends or in Recoleta works wonders as far as trinkets and gifts for friends but I don't know if your in BA or in Rio?

TL

P.S - "Prime" Rubbers are Sub-Prime and ,oh well , I would'nt know much about condoms but I do know that they are not worth bringing back home.

SunSeeker
12-19-12, 18:33
"Jimmy Curry"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimichurri

They probably already have some at home.

Inexpensive hand-made jewelry in San Telmo on the weekends or in Recoleta works wonders as far as trinkets and gifts for friends but I don't know if your in BA or in Rio?

TL.

P. S. "Prime" Rubbers are Sub-Prime and, oh well, I would'nt know much about condoms but I do know that they are not worth bringing back home.Thanks for the suggestions TL. Still in BA until Friday night, then head to Rio for 8 days.

Haven't checked out San Telmo yet, and may have to check out Recoleta again tomorrow.

I thought I had a decent price on the airfare I bought end of November until I saw the prices on Monday, $200 LESS! Dangit! LOL,

Member #3320
12-19-12, 20:02
I thought I had a decent price on the airfare I bought end of November until I saw the prices on Monday, $200 LESS! Dangit! LOL,489 us$ return fare bue-Rio-bue!

TejanoLibre
12-19-12, 21:02
Thanks for the suggestions TL. Still in BA until Friday night, then head to Rio for 8 days.

Haven't checked out San Telmo yet, and may have to check out Recoleta again tomorrow.

I thought I had a decent price on the airfare I bought end of November until I saw the prices on Monday, $200 LESS! Dangit! LOL, Royale Something? Or Something Royale? On Lavalle 951 near 9 de Julio is a huge candy and nuts and dried fruits, etc, etc store.

Every kind of Alfajor in Argentina plus booze, etc.

Anyway, in the back they sell "Chimichuri" by the kilo, maybe $48. 00 pesos per dried kilo which would be a lot of Jimmy.

Nuts, and raisins and apricots and chocolate covered everything too.

The hand-made stuff inSan Telmo and Recoleta is ONLY on the weekends.

TL

SunSeeker
12-20-12, 00:25
489 us$ return fare bue-Rio-bue!Damn it went up again, it was cheaper on Monday

Dickhead
12-20-12, 00:42
Prefer balsamic vinegar actually, sometimes some finely chopped black olives, you can experiment but oil and vinegar is all you need. Remember, only half the vinegar if it is American. Hope this helps. ToymannAgree balsamic makes the best chimi and would add, use a lighter olive oil. Use virgin but not extra virgin. Also, olive oil doesn't keep well and what I do is normally have two bottles and the older one I use for cooking and the fresher one I use for salad dressings. Like I buy a bottle and when it is half empty I buy another one and then the half empty one becomes the cooking oil bottle. Use the fresh stuff for the chimi. I like to use garlic puree instead of chopped.