PDA

View Full Version : Boca, Baby, Boca

Gonzo
03-17-13, 04:06
I wanted to get this info out on the forum to help out any newbie who wants to visit interesting neighborhoods in BA. A most colorful area is the Boca neighborhood, south of San Telmo, bordering at the base of the Rio Plata in the S.E. Section of the city. If you pick up any tour guide book you will see photos of the brightly colored houses for which it is famous. Boat workers used to paint their houses from leftover paint from boat painting when it was an Italian fishing neighborhood many years.

It is also rumored to be famous for being a not-so-safe neighborhood. In fact, a buddy of mine who previously went to BA recommended me not to go, regaling me of a story of a gunpoint stickup. Glad I didn't listen to him.

Last Sunday Daddy Rulz and I decided to go to the Boca neighborhood. We took the bus and it was very easy. Here is the info: it's the 152 bus going South / East on Sante Fe (at least it is in Recoleta). The bus will say Boca / Oliva on its front header. Take it all the way till the end, which is at the last street in front of the river.

The Boca neighborhood is right there at the end of the line. Going on a Sunday meant the bus was not crowded, and you can notice the neighborhoods getting poorer and rundown as you approach Boca. However, once in Boca, I noticed the densest amount of police presence as in all of BA. It's clear how important this neighborhood is to BA as symbol of tourist safety and the gov't is doing its part. The place was lively, packed with tourists, but not overly so, and a lot of fun. Great place to have lunch in the street in front of many restaurants, many with entertainment.

Daddy Rulz and I walked as far north in the Boca neighborhood as to the Boca Juniors stadium. About 6 blocks from the river, and that's where the police presence fades and it seems not a good idea to go any further north.

But the good news is that the area seems safe and _definitely_ is a must see place for sightseeing in BA. Going on a Sunday seemed to be a good idea also. Hope this helps for any newbie contemplating visiting this area.

Daddy Rulz
03-17-13, 05:34
I was a good time and all the ship wrecked hulks are gone from the harbor though it did smell a little like a giant vat of nail Polish remover. I wouldn't go if the wind is from the south.

It was a good afternoon, but don't TOUCH THE FUCKING HATS BOLUDO, as I found out to my chagrin.

DR.

Kamikaze
03-17-13, 13:58
Someone told me about Roxanne a couple of years ago. This was my second trip to BA before I knew anything about AP. She set me up with her assistant. I think her name was Laura, who took me on a 4 hour tour of all the neighborhoods of BA. It was amazing. I think it was $80 for her plus $60 for the car and driver. She spoke fluent English and gave me all the history behind each burro. The two of us would get out and walk and the driver would pick us up at the next point so it wasn't just sitting in a car looking from afar. She told me why the houses in La Boca are painted the way they are and how they were built from the hulls of the ships that brought the people there. She told me about all the places to go while I was in town. When we were at the Plaza de Mayo she told me to come back on Sunday and walk down Defensa because the street fills up with antique dealers, artists, musicians and street entertainers. The whole thing ends at the Dorrego cafe where someone famous used to write and drink. It's still one of my favorite things to do in BA. It was an amazing tour of the entire city and even if you have lived in BA for years I'm sure you would learn some new things.

She also offered another tour that went up north to a ranch. I always wanted to do that one but it is a full day and I never had the time. Like I said this was a couple of years ago and I don't know if Laura is still doing tours. If she is it's a great way not just to see all the neighborhoods but learn about their history also.

Mountaineer
03-19-13, 03:18
Someone told me about Roxanne a couple of years ago. This was my second trip to BA before I knew anything about AP. She set me up with her assistant. I think her name was Laura, who took me on a 4 hour tour of all the neighborhoods of BA. It was amazing. I think it was $80 for her plus $60 for the car and driver. She spoke fluent English and gave me all the history behind each burro. The two of us would get out and walk and the driver would pick us up at the next point so it wasn't just sitting in a car looking from afar. She told me why the houses in La Boca are painted the way they are and how they were built from the hulls of the ships that brought the people there. She told me about all the places to go while I was in town. When we were at the Plaza de Mayo she told me to come back on Sunday and walk down Defensa because the street fills up with antique dealers, artists, musicians and street entertainers. The whole thing ends at the Dorrego cafe where someone famous used to write and drink. It's still one of my favorite things to do in BA. It was an amazing tour of the entire city and even if you have lived in BA for years I'm sure you would learn some new things.

She also offered another tour that went up north to a ranch. I always wanted to do that one but it is a full day and I never had the time. Like I said this was a couple of years ago and I don't know if Laura is still doing tours. If she is it's a great way not just to see all the neighborhoods but learn about their history also.Laura is still doing her tours and I highly recommend her. Used her services early this December. She is smart, funny and also a very beautiful MILF. She will take you to places and tell you things about the city you would otherwise miss. It was well worth her time. Does an amazing job. Beautiful on the inside and outside. Great translator. Her drivers are also the best. They adapt the day on the fly to whatever you are enjoying the most.

Gonzo
03-19-13, 04:39
Laura is still doing her tours and I highly recommend her. Used her services early this December. She is smart, funny and also a very beautiful MILF. She will take you to places and tell you things about the city you would otherwise miss. It was well worth her time. Does an amazing job. Beautiful on the inside and outside. Great translator. Her drivers are also the best. They adapt the day on the fly to whatever you are enjoying the most.Laura quoted me a price for a 4 hour tour of $180 USD, $100 for her, $80 for her driver. Not cheap, but for anyone willing to pay that price, then by all means she seems worth it.

TejanoLibre
03-19-13, 04:54
Laura quoted me a price for a 4 hour tour of $180 USD, $100 for her, $80 for her driver. Not cheap, but for anyone willing to pay that price, then by all means she seems worth it.That's cool but I do it for 50 and you get a Monger's point of view!

Different type of tour but it depends on what you are looking for.

Thanks,

TL.

If I'm booked then USE Laura!

.She is a good guide and very knowledgeable .