PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best steak?

Chezz
01-15-15, 13:55
It's been a while since my last visit, and I'm curious because I know how quickly the quality of a restaurant can change. Also because I'm arriving tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to some good eating, among other things!

So, who is serving the best steak these days?

Maybe I should cut this down into two categories:

1. The first category would be, who is serving the best steak regardless of price?

2. And the second would be, which Parilla is the best value?

And so we're talking apples to apples, let's make Bife de Chorizo the comparison item.

I'll start:

Best Steak: don Julio.

Best Value: Parilla Pena.

ElAlamoPalermo
01-15-15, 14:49
I'll start:

Best Steak: don Julio.

Best Value: Parilla Pena.I went to Don Julio back in November with a group of American tourists who insisted on going there; the steak was very mediocre and not remotely close to the same level as the steaks at El Mirasol. The group went to Mirasol the following night (without me) and all agreed Don Julio was complete garbage compared to Mirasol.

Daddy Rulz
01-15-15, 15:39
I went to Don Julio back in November with a group of American tourists who insisted on going there; the steak was very mediocre and not remotely close to the same level as the steaks at El Mirasol. The group went to Mirasol the following night (without me) and all agreed Don Julio was complete garbage compared to Mirasol.I've wanted to go there a couple times because I read a fair amount about it being a decent place from a value not quality standpoint but getting a table is pretty impossible. Ever since Allie wrote about it they have been overrun by annoying hipsters of all flavors, US, European, and Argentine. Lots of thick framed black glasses, stupid beards, and wool caps.

Close by is a parrilla that doesn't have the best steaks (my love of pig meat is well known) but does serve up the best mollejas I've ever had here. It's a very generous serving and they are wonderfully prepared if you like your thymus crunchy. Their salads are very nice as well. Without wine it's going to run you about 300 a person.

It's called Estilo Criollo and it's at Serrano 1458.

http://www.estilocriollo.com/

BadMan
01-15-15, 16:13
El Mirasol and La Cabrera are two of the best.

And then any other place. That sells Kobe beef is usually a safe bet. Not cheap. But the best usually isn't.

http://carneswagyu.com.ar/donde_comer

Tres3
01-15-15, 16:31
El Mirasol and La Cabrera are two of the best.

And then any other place. That sells Kobe beef is usually a safe bet. Not cheap. But the best usually isn't.

http://carneswagyu.com.ar/donde_comerWhen I was in BA about six months ago, I had steak at both La Brigada (San Telmo) and La Cabrera (Palermo). Both were very good, but La Brigada was superior to La Cabrera. Do not go to La Brigada on Sunday unless you like a long wait and a big crowd. Expensive, but also very good is Cabana las Lilas in Puerto Madero. The steak is very good with service unlike anything else in Argentina, and they also do an excellent job on fish.

Tres3.

Chezz
01-15-15, 17:38
Ever since Allie wrote about it they have been overrun by annoying hipsters of all flavors.

You mean hipsters have jobs? I mean jobs that pay well enough to go to Don Julio? :-)

Close by is a parrilla that doesn't have the best steaks (my love of pig meat is well known) but does serve up the best mollejas I've ever had here. It's a very generous serving and they are wonderfully prepared if you like your thymus crunchy. Their salads are very nice as well. Without wine it's going to run you about 300 a person. It's called Estilo Criollo and it's at Serrano 1458.

Dude, I don't dig on the guts...and yeah, all that crap is guts to me....glands included. But since you're into swine (as I am) please feel free to chime in with a pork recommendation. Hard to go wrong with a well-cooked pork belly. There was a place in Palermo Viejo I went to once that had braised pork belly; they re-heated the individual portions on a flat-top. Nice and crispy!!

BadMan
01-15-15, 18:05
Dirty NE hipsters ruin everything. Thanks for the heads up. Never going there.

Osaka makes a mean Kobe balsamic truffle steak. Best part is, no fucking hipsters. But if you don't want to wait hours at the bar for a seat you have to go to the one in Puerto Madero.

Hey daddy rulz, remember that one time I took you to Osaka?

Joe 23
01-15-15, 18:39
Try matured beef at Le Grill, Puerto Madero. Definitely one of the best in BA. About 700 pesos per head including starters, salad, wine and coffee.

Good selection of wines with a reasonable mark up.

BadMan
01-15-15, 19:04
If anyone ever wants to buy from the best carniceria in town, the one all the best restaurants buy from. Try PIAF in Palermo. It's about 180 pesos for a kilo of lomo but its some of the best lomo you will ever have. The best restaurant quality beef you can make at home.

http://www.proveeduriapiaf.com.ar/epiaf/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=125

Daddy Rulz
01-15-15, 19:08

Osaka makes a mean Kobe balsamic truffle steak. Best part is, no fucking hipsters. But if you don't want to wait hours at the bar for a seat you have to go to the one in Puerto Madero.

Hey daddy rulz, remember that one time I took you to Osaka?Once a long time ago. Good food if you can get service. The last time I was there I was by myself, I sat at the bar, there were three bartenders working, and none of them would take my order. In their defense the bar was full with a lot of really beautiful girls. I waited 15 minutes trying to flag one after another, and then got up and left.

Interestingly enough, the hottest dish I've ever tasted in my life (never been to Thailand) was served to me there. It was a cold (temperature) Thai salad, one bite of it wrecked my mouth and I couldn't eat anything else.

Sad, as I recall when we went there forever ago the food was really good but I refuse to be ignored by unwashed table jockeys with bad haircuts.

BadMan
01-15-15, 19:52
I agree with your assessment of the Palermo location. One of the reasons I stopped going. But the one in Puerto Madero that recently opened is nothing like the other one. Its much bigger. No waiting at the bar. And the food and service are actually good. You should check it out. The new Kobe steak dish is worth a visit.

Daddy Rulz
01-15-15, 20:17
I agree with your assessment of the Palermo location. One of the reasons I stopped going. But the one in Puerto Madero that recently opened is nothing like the other one. Its much bigger. No waiting at the bar. And the food and service are actually good. You should check it out. The new Kobe steak dish is worth a visit.It's not only closer but when they are on the food is really good. Thanks.

Troyster
01-15-15, 21:14

Hey daddy rulz, remember that one time I took you to Osaka?I know a lot of people who tried to be hipsters. They couldn't afford it.

BadMan
01-15-15, 21:21
I know a lot of people who tried to be hipsters. They couldn't afford it.Or maybe they realized they werent homosexuals?

Member #3320
01-16-15, 02:01
LaCabrera never disappoints.

Esten
01-16-15, 02:35
Another vote for La Brigada in San Telmo.

LimitedEdition
01-16-15, 11:12
La Cabrera, excelent steak and excelent service but my favourite is Las Lilas in Puerto Madero.

Troyster
01-16-15, 13:37
Or maybe they realized they werent homosexuals?Also likely.

BadMan
01-16-15, 14:32
Cabana las lilas is also a good option but its not really much better than places like La Cabrera or El Mirasol. On the contrary, I particularly find El Mirasol to be of better quality and the general atmosphere isn't as stuffy or pretentious. Its still a very good steak though and if you're in the neighborhood, its definitely worth a visit.

Joe 23
01-16-15, 17:40
Cabana las lilas is also a good option but its not really much better than places like La Cabrera or El Mirasol. On the contrary, I particularly find El Mirasol to be of better quality and the general atmosphere isn't as stuffy or pretentious. Its still a very good steak though and if you're in the neighborhood, its definitely worth a visit.I did recommend Le Grill, but I also enjoy eating at El Mirasol. Their Lomo Entero is awesome!

For Category 2, El Estrebe would be a good recommendation.

Chezz
01-17-15, 00:24
And thanks Joe for for including the "value" option. I just got off a plane, dropped my bags and am sitting in one of those tourist Parillas on Junin in front of the cemetery. Can't believe they turned La Loreenza into a burger joint (for many reasons). Most of all, because that was the spot where I met Exon and Flexible Horn 12-13 years ago; they had me pegged for a monger and it was all downhill from there. It was called El Parillon de Recoleta in those days, and they had a counter where you could sit and watch your meal being cooked. The grill-man sold nasty brown weed, and it was nothing but good times.

Now both places have been replaced by a fucking touristy burger joint. I bet you they even make their ketchup in-house, those fuckers!

Anyway, times have changed, and not necessarily in a bad way. In fact, the Rutini Cabernet / Malbec that I just ordered cost the same today, dollar for dollar, as it did three years ago, so I can't be all bad. Now I'm waiting for my Bife chorizo, arugula salad, Provoleta and all the rest. I decided to splurge at a touristy place just to set a baseline. I'll check in later with the report.

But I appreciate all of you guys checking in with your recommendations -- if I have time I'll go to all of them. Cheers!

I did recommend Le Grill, but I also enjoy eating at El Mirasol. Their Lomo Entero is awesome!

For Category 2, El Estrebe would be a good recommendation.

Rain Grown
01-19-15, 12:25
Hey TL, what's your opinion of the best steak place?

TejanoLibre
01-19-15, 15:40
Hey TL, what's your opinion of the best steak place?Rain Grown!

Hola!

I have been running some of the guys all over town since well before Christmas almost non-stop and this is what my opinion is:

La Brigada -.

3 times in 14 days.

They cut their Rib Eyes from a different part of the cow so it's almost fat-free. I thought they brought me the wrong cut the first time.

Second time it was the Waiter's choice and I was not impressed. (Bife Especial?).

3rd. Time was the Skirt Steak and it was excellent! Entrana with a Spanish " n " unmarinated fajita to you.

Cabana Las Lilas -.

3 times in 1 week.

T-Bone Baby! Excellent service. Excellent meal. About $4 k for 3 people. (they had wine).

"You can beat their Prices but you can't beat their Meats!"

La Cabrera -.

3 times in 3 days.

Always good.

Large Rib Eye. Medium RARE.

40% OFF if you dine between 6:30 and finish by 8 pm. I mean Leave the table!

Parrilla Pena -.

Neighborhood Parrillla near all the shit we do. Very good.

Large Rib Eye.

Entrana is best when it's rare.

Come on Down!

TL.

Chezz
01-19-15, 18:42
This is one of those places that everybody used to say was a must-visit! I've always been on the fence, mostly due to the crazy prices. I have to say I've had more excellent meals here than anywhere else in town. And while it's generally geared towards tourists, it still attracts a ton of locals. When I first starting coming to Buenos Aires, I'd stay at the Hilton, which made CLL a no-brainer. I'm interested to see what their regular cut of Bife Chorizo is going for these days. Do you happen to remember, TL?

The food and service were always nearly flawless, until my last couple of visits. And during those last couple of visits, the quality of meat had dropped significantly. I mean, for that money, the steak better be cooked perfectly. Maybe they were going through a rough patch, who knows? It's a massive operation and watching the grill-men work behind the plate-glass windows is impressive. They make their own breads and the Cubierto included that as well as a plate of 6-7 different antipasti. The portion size for that appetizer platter is the same for 1 or 2 people, so if you're dining alone (which I occasionally do there), it's a nice bit of food. And if you know how to navigate that phone book-sized wine list, you could actually find a bargain or two. But their top-end stuff is way expensive.

All that being said, I plan on making a return visit over the next week or two, along with El Mirasol and La Grill. Thanks to some suggestions on this thread.

I had a perfectly cooked Ojo de Bife cooked by a friend of ours at The House last night. And it really was fucking perfect. I know inflation has been kicking the shit out of locals recently, but meat from a retail shop is still a bargain compared to the States.

...Cabana Las Lilas...
T-Bone Baby! Excellent service. Excellent meal. About $4 k for 3 people. (they had wine).

Joe 23
01-19-15, 19:09
And if you know how to navigate that phone book-sized wine list, you could actually find a bargain or two. But their top-end stuff is way expensive.If things have not changed since my last visit a few months ago, there are two someliers working at CLL. Eduardo, the older looking one, really knows all the wines that are listed. You can tell him the type AND price range of the wine that you're looking for, and he'll find the closest one possible. Just ask the waiter or waitress to call Eduardo and he will be at your table to help.

TejanoLibre
01-19-15, 23:37
This is one of those places that everybody used to say was a must-visit! I've always been on the fence, mostly due to the crazy prices. I have to say I've had more excellent meals here than anywhere else in town. And while it's generally geared towards tourists, it still attracts a ton of locals. When I first starting coming to Buenos Aires, I'd stay at the Hilton, which made CLL a no-brainer. I'm interested to see what their regular cut of Bife Chorizo is going for these days. Do you happen to remember, TL?

The food and service were always nearly flawless, until my last couple of visits. And during those last couple of visits, the quality of meat had dropped significantly. I mean, for that money, the steak better be cooked perfectly. Maybe they were going through a rough patch, who knows? It's a massive operation and watching the grill-men work behind the plate-glass windows is impressive. They make their own breads and the Cubierto included that as well as a plate of 6-7 different antipasti. The portion size for that appetizer platter is the same for 1 or 2 people, so if you're dining alone (which I occasionally do there), it's a nice bit of food. And if you know how to navigate that phone book-sized wine list, you could actually find a bargain or two. But their top-end stuff is way expensive.

All that being said, I plan on making a return visit over the next week or two, along with El Mirasol and La Grill. Thanks to some suggestions on this thread.

I had a perfectly cooked Ojo de Bife cooked by a friend of ours at The House last night. And it really was fucking perfect. I know inflation has been kicking the shit out of locals recently, but meat from a retail shop is still a bargain compared to the States.CLL -.

Lomo - (Filet Mignon) $439.00 Pesos 400 grams. Large.

Bife de Choriza (NY Strip Steak, Sirloin) $400.00 Pesos, large.

Ojo de Bife (Rib Eye) $419.00 Pesos, large.

The Appetizer is still served freely. Very nice butter / blue cheese spread, prosciutto, egg plant, fish parts. Et cetera.

We had 3 rounds of that stuff.

We asked the Wino to pick a bottle of wine.

I think it was a 2008 model. I don't drink anymore and I was Not paying for it so I did not care.

Reminds me of a Chica the other night at The House.

She was Complaining because the bottle of wine that we offered her was from 2014 !

Ex Dancer from Black!

Almost funny but not quite.

Anyway,

The older female waitress at CLL will go Out of her way to handle your requests.

TL.

Thomaso276
01-20-15, 00:57
Overpriced.

BadMan
01-20-15, 01:13
They have good beef and the prices are comparable to many restaurants in Puerto Madero but I agree it's overpriced. But if you are a tourist and are only in town for a week or two you can afford 70 bucks for a nice dinner. Just like spending 200-300 dollars for a good looking girl. Thats why there is a tourist market. Tourists like being pretentious in foreign countries and there are plenty of women and businesses who make a living servicing that crowd.

Now if you are a local, spending 1000 pesos per meal very often just doesn't make much sense. Especially if the same quality beef can be bought at Jumbo or Piaf for 180 pesos a kilo of Lomo.

Overpriced.

Chezz
01-20-15, 12:47
They have good beef and the prices are comparable to many restaurants in Puerto Madero but I agree it's overpriced. But if you are a tourist and are only in town for a week or two you can afford 70 bucks for a nice dinner. Just like spending 200-300 dollars for a good looking girl. Thats why there is a tourist market. Tourists like being pretentious in foreign countries and there are plenty of women and businesses who make a living servicing that crowd.

Now if you are a local, spending 1000 pesos per meal very often just doesn't make much sense. Especially if the same quality beef can be bought at Jumbo or Piaf for 180 pesos a kilo of Lomo.OK, one of the most expensive steak houses in Argentina is selling a large NY steak for $34 USD. I still don't think that's horribly overpriced compared to western standards. And I don't think it's pretension that makes people want to go there. Sometimes you just want a nicer experience. And when you don't, there's still plenty of Parrillas in town where you can get a great steak for less than $10 USD. That's what I was shooting for when I originally asked the question; both ends of the spectrum.

And you're right, Jumbo is selling top quality beef at about $5.00 USD per pound, about half of what it costs in the States. I find myself grilling a steak at the house nearly every day while I'm in town.

Joe 23
01-21-15, 11:25
Went last night again for dinner. Ojo de Bife madurado was the best choice. 330 pesos for the steak.

Their starters were also pretty good.

Had a bottle of Andeluna Chardonnay Reserva to start with and then 2 bottles of Trapiche Fond de Cave Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon with the steak. Excellent wines.

We were a group of 6 and paid about 700 pesos per head including tip. Not a cheap place but the meat is surely one of the best.

Paladin
01-21-15, 13:19
I have eaten at this restaurant many times and it is a locals place with a good lunch and dinner crowd. The meat is excellent and priced right about 140-170 for 400 gms bife de chorizo o bife de lomo. Wine list is not extensive but reasonable prices. The Pasion 4 Malbec is about 110-140. I have not had a bad piece of meat or dinner. I hosted a small Christmas party for friends who are Argentine and they loved the place.

Gandolf50
01-21-15, 21:53
And you're right, Jumbo is selling top quality beef at about $5.00 USD per pound, about half of what it costs in the States. I find myself grilling a steak at the house nearly every day while I'm in town.I just returned from Jumbo doing my weekly shopping. Chop meat 30% fat going for $49.89 kilo. Chop meat (carne picada especial) 10% fat going for $79.89 kilo. I did not even look at other meats. Very little meat on display. I did not see any one buying any meat either.

Rev BS
01-29-15, 21:17
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2015/01/chili_history_there_are_no_beans_in_san_antonio_s_specialty.html

When I was in BA, eating chilli never entered my mind. But now that I am in Bangkok, eating my own "chilli" keeps me happy. BA with all that beef is a no brainer, but not really on the Argie menu. Anyway, this controversy about beans or no beans is more like Texas vs the World issue. As a chilli lover, I can eat both versions. Cooking on my own, having beans in the chilli means not having to cook beans separately. And if I want to add some rice to the concoction and make it a burrito, it works.

I think I will make my Lad Phrao chilli for the Super Bowl. Hope I can find some fresh jalapenos.

Tres3
01-29-15, 23:56
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2015/01/chili_history_there_are_no_beans_in_san_antonio_s_specialty.html

When I was in BA, eating chilli never entered my mind. But now that I am in Bangkok, eating my own "chilli" keeps me happy. BA with all that beef is a no brainer, but not really on the Argie menu. Anyway, this controversy about beans or no beans is more like Texas vs the World issue. As a chilli lover, I can eat both versions. Cooking on my own, having beans in the chilli means not having to cook beans separately. And if I want to add some rice to the concoction and make it a burrito, it works.

I think I will make my Lad Phrao chilli for the Super Bowl. Hope I can find some fresh jalapenos.Meat is more expensive than beans, especially in Northern Mexico and South Texas (at one time all of it was Mexico), where Chili Con Carne originated. Putting beans in the chili was a way to stretch the pot and feed more mouths. The early folks did not have to cook the beans because they always had a "bean pot" on the stove, to which they just added more beans and water. Chili was also a way to make spoiled meat and non-beef meat palatable. Enough cumin / comino and chli pepper will kill any foul taste, and long cooking will kill bacteria. Remember, chili con carne was developed in a hot region, long before refrigeration. The ironic thing is that I have seen chili with beans priced higher on a menu than chili without beans.

Tres3.

BadMan
01-30-15, 01:18
I make steaks about 5 nights a week when in Argentina. And I go out to dinner about once a week. I wouldn't do the same in the US. It would be cost prohibitive, at least for me. You just can't beat the prices at Jumbo. A little olive oil and some salt and pepper and you have a 500 peso cut of cabana las lilas lomo for 100 pesos sans the attentive waiters.

OK, one of the most expensive steak houses in Argentina is selling a large NY steak for $34 USD. I still don't think that's horribly overpriced compared to western standards. And I don't think it's pretension that makes people want to go there. Sometimes you just want a nicer experience. And when you don't, there's still plenty of Parrillas in town where you can get a great steak for less than $10 USD. That's what I was shooting for when I originally asked the question; both ends of the spectrum.

And you're right, Jumbo is selling top quality beef at about $5.00 USD per pound, about half of what it costs in the States. I find myself grilling a steak at the house nearly every day while I'm in town.

Wild Walleye
02-15-15, 22:54
Parrilla Pena -.

Neighborhood Parrillla near all the shit we do. Very good.

Large Rib Eye.

This is my favorite and I had been to them all (as of a few years ago). I'm not into fancy, I did that for too long. I want simple and great food. Provoleta to start, some Luigi Bosca and ojo de bife. To the clubs to find dessert.

Moore
02-19-15, 02:33
Can someone please give me the current price of a bife de chorizo at an average neighborhood restaurant. I classify El Estrebe or just a confiteria as average.

When I was there last May it was about 100 pesos everywhere I went, which was about USD 10.

To me this price is BA's equivalent of the Big Mac index. Pretty good overall price indicator.

Thanks.

Moore.

Daddy Rulz
02-19-15, 10:52
Can someone please give me the current price of a bife de chorizo at an average neighborhood restaurant. I classify El Estrebe or just a confiteria as average.

When I was there last May it was about 100 pesos everywhere I went, which was about USD 10.

To me this price is BA's equivalent of the Big Mac index. Pretty good overall price indicator.

Thanks.

Moore.And I'm more of a bondiola guy but I'm noticing 130-160 maso for a bife in a barrio place.

TejanoLibre
02-19-15, 13:52
And I'm more of a bondiola guy but I'm noticing 130-160 maso for a bife in a barrio place.I think even a "Medio Bife de Chorizo" which is supposed to be a half of a NY Strip is close to $90.00 . Maybe.

So a steak in a:

Shit Place - 110.00 pesos with Fries.

Reg. Barrio Place - 135.00 with Nothing.

Puerto Madero or Trendy Place - $280.00 to $420.00 for a very large steak with NOTHING.

Going to "Juana M" RIGHT NOW!

Largest Rib-Eye I have had in BA and by far the BEST salad bar in the city!

Great Deal. $158.00 pesos with a Free Super Salad. 400 grams!

Sounds like a Party!

If you order a Main course and the value exceeds 80 pesos then your All you Can Eat Salad Bar is included.

And it has a lot of excellent salad parts that you NEVER see on a salad in BA.

Not without paying a lot.

Great place to take a girl that just wants a Salad too.

Salad Only is about 70 pesos.

Juana M -.

http://www.juanam.com/juana-centro/

1535 Carlos Pellegrini.

Down the street from X.

Almost air-conditioned and good enough for anybody around these parts.

Full of women at night!

TL.

Menu:

http://www.juanam.com/juana-centro/menu

BigMic
09-26-15, 19:50
For a good, mid-priced steak within walking distance of AP House look no further than Parrilla Pena, Rodriguez Pena at Viamonte. For starters, house chorizo as good as any in town. Best seating upstairs at window overlooking street. Very popular place so unless you go early expect a wait.

BigMic
09-26-15, 22:00
Address is 682 Rodriguez Pena, opens at noon for lunch and 8 pm for dinner, great beef empanadas also.

BigMic
09-26-15, 22:15
A good mid-priced parrilla al carbon at 957 Suipacha across from Hook. Good Centro option with good hours and good beef.

Creideiki
10-02-15, 20:33
Address is 682 Rodriguez Pena, opens at noon for lunch and 8 pm for dinner, great beef empanadas also.Just ate there last night. Superb bife de lomo, mashed potatoes, a 375mL bottle of malbec and a salad for P$295.

Balls Deep
10-11-15, 21:57
In my 16 years experience here, La Carniceria is the best of the best at a reasonable price. They have aged beef, understand hot sauce and the food is just absolutely fucking delicious. Additionally, they know what medium rare is. Beef ribs are da BOMB!

Thames, 2713.

Palermo.

+54 11 2071-7199.

Judd
10-14-15, 05:35
Hola Dudes,

I've been here about ten days. I've ate at six or seven restaurants, and will offer up my opinion. First, I ate at Parilla Pena. While the portions were huge, I was not that impressed. The steak was good, but not great. Now, the ravioli's I tasted were really good. By far the best bife de chorizo I've had was at Las Cholas in Las Canitas. It's located on the corner of Arce and Arnelo. Moore and I stumbled on this place, because we were initially going to Campo De Fiori. However, the one in Las Canitas is now a different restaurant. We noticed Las Cholas was very busy even though it was on a Tuesday, and decided to check it out. This steak had incredible flavor, and the best part, it was only $120p. While it wasn't a huge cut, again the flavor was excellent. No need for any chimichurri, which may have been the reason why none was served when we sat down. Just outstanding taste without the need for any additional condiments. Their Caeser Salad we equally delicious. Another place that was excellent was La Dorita. I'm not sure of it's exact location, but will find out and post. They had the best pork chorizo I've tasted so far, and their "Ensalada Mixta" was spot on. Nice mix of greens, shredded carrots, onions, tomatoes, and the olive oil/vinegar mix was incredibly sweet.

Will be sampling several more places before I leave, but Las Cholas is the clear leader so far.

Late,

Judd.

Daddy Rulz
10-14-15, 13:07
Hola Dudes,

I've been here about ten days. I've ate at six or seven restaurants, and will offer up my opinion. First, I ate at Parilla Pena. While the portions were huge, I was not that impressed. The steak was good, but not great. Now, the ravioli's I tasted were really good. By far the best bife de chorizo I've had was at Las Cholas in Las Canitas. It's located on the corner of Arce and Arnelo. Moore and I stumbled on this place, because we were initially going to Campo De Fiori. However, the one in Las Canitas is now a different restaurant. We noticed Las Cholas was very busy even though it was on a Tuesday, and decided to check it out. This steak had incredible flavor, and the best part, it was only $120p. While it wasn't a huge cut, again the flavor was excellent. No need for any chimichurri, which may have been the reason why none was served when we sat down. Just outstanding taste without the need for any additional condiments. Their Caeser Salad we equally delicious. Another place that was excellent was La Dorita. I'm not sure of it's exact location, but will find out and post. They had the best pork chorizo I've tasted so far, and their "Ensalada Mixta" was spot on. Nice mix of greens, shredded carrots, onions, tomatoes, and the olive oil/vinegar mix was incredibly sweet.

Will be sampling several more places before I leave, but Las Cholas is the clear leader so far.

Late,

Judd.I think it's at the corner of Costa Rica and Humbolt, I also think there is more than one. It fills up don't get there late.

TejanoLibre
10-31-16, 19:30
I can't find the Spanish "N" but you get it l trust .

$13,000.00 for dinner the other night .

One of the steaks had to be sent back 3 times due to being overcooked .

Nobody at the restaurant cared and nobody apologized .

They just assumed that a tourist will never return anyway so who cares.

TL.

Pedroinba
10-31-16, 20:41
One of the best steak house is town is Aires Criollos Santa Fe 1773 Corner Callao Recoleta/Barrio Norte. There is a wagon wheel outside the front door, I have been eating there for years never ever have I had a bad steak. If on the very rare occasion it comes a bit over done they with pleasure get it right.

Only twice have I sent my steak back as it was slightly over done, as I am incredibly fussy, its got to be perfect.

The portions are large its not the cheapest in town but IMO its the best, and I have been to many parrillas.

The service is impeccable the staff are awesome they all know me very well, "Peter".

On ever occasion they all greet me and make me feel so welcome. The place is always full with locals and tourists for lunch and dinner especially Fridays to Sundays..

Hope you experience the same satisfication as I "Bife de loma" is my preferred choice ++.

Average cost with a bottle of wine pending on choice of steak and wine is between 400-800pesos and worth ever peso.

Regards to all!!

Pedroinba.

I can't find the Spanish "N" but you get it l trust .

$13,000.00 for dinner the other night .

One of the steaks had to be sent back 3 times due to being overcooked .

Nobody at the restaurant cared and nobody apologized .

They just assumed that a tourist will never return anyway so who cares.

TL.

WorldTravel69
12-04-16, 14:11
Thanks, I added it to the Restaurant Map.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1lM78K-buYIRB2m95FPKF_SipS9I&ll=-34.592940191208015%2C-58.41965090901226&z=14

One of the best steak house is town is Aires Criollos Santa Fe 1773 Corner Callao Recoleta/Barrio Norte. There is a wagon wheel outside the front door, I have been eating there for years never ever have I had a bad steak. If on the very rare occasion it comes a bit over done they with pleasure get it right.

Only twice have I sent my steak back as it was slightly over done, as I am incredibly fussy, its got to be perfect.

The portions are large its not the cheapest in town but IMO its the best, and I have been to many parrillas.

The service is impeccable the staff are awesome they all know me very well, "Peter".

On ever occasion they all greet me and make me feel so welcome. The place is always full with locals and tourists for lunch and dinner especially Fridays to Sundays..

Hope you experience the same satisfication as I "Bife de loma" is my preferred choice ++.

Average cost with a bottle of wine pending on choice of steak and wine is between 400-800pesos and worth ever peso.

Regards to all!!

Pedroinba.

Uk844
12-10-16, 02:58
I have been here before and working off the recs form locals that I have met. And I do not know all the best places some others might but speaking for just my experience Don Julio's rib eye was the best I have had . They even have a beet dish that with oil and Vinegar and salt is magic. I did not find many places with Vegetables and I sure its country related but by far Don Julio , which I went to 2x already was the best. La Carniceria had good wine and a great apertizer salad ( it was the bomb ) but the steak was huge yet mostly fatty...good but no where near Don Julio. As a tourist which as a traveler I guess I am I had to try the famous Cabrera. Lotsa long lines but the service is very nice and the wine was good but the empanadas were off the charts...unfortunately by the time the steak came it was overcooked ( someone just forgot as I waited awhile for it , that happens ) they took it right back and although it was a really good steak between the empanadas and all the other accoutrements they supply you gratis I could not get through it. Yet here there were not vegetables really on the menu outside of salads.

So DJ is my call, and that is just my .02 from me. I am sure there are many that I do not know about so this is only my humble opinion. I have not been everywhere.

WorldTravel69
12-10-16, 12:53
Thanks, I added it to the Map.

I have been here before and working off the recommendations forum locals that I have met. And I do not know all the best places some others might but speaking for just my experience Don Julio's rib eye was the best I have had . They even have a beet dish that with oil and Vinegar and salt is magic. I did not find many places with Vegetables and I sure its country related but by far Don Julio , which I went to 2x already was the best.

La Carniceria had good wine and a great appetizer salad ( it was the bomb ) but the steak was huge yet mostly fatty...good but no where near Don Julio.

As a tourist which as a traveler I guess I am I had to try the famous Cabrera. Lots of long lines but the service is very nice and the wine was good but the empanadas were off the charts...unfortunately by the time the steak came it was overcooked (someone just forgot as I waited awhile for it , that happens) they took it right back and although it was a really good steak between the empanadas and all the other accouterments they supply you gratis I could not get through it. Yet here there were not vegetables really on the menu outside of salads.

So DJ is my call, and that is just my .02 from me. I am sure there are many that I do not know about so this is only my humble opinion. I have not been everywhere.

Tireseus
12-14-16, 12:40
I've eaten at all of them - las Lilas, Don Julio, La Cabrera - I could name 50 more. My favourite is Don Carlos. Yeah, it can be a sketchy neighbourhood at night, but I've never witnessed anything untoward. (And it's a pretty cheap uber ride). Best thing about Don Carlos is he just starts bringing you food - all kinds of different dishes, until you say no mas. And whatever comes off the grill is astounding. And it's about as cheap as it gets. Last time I was there I think it was 200p for three of us. Plus wine, plus tip.

Daddy Rulz
12-14-16, 21:11
I've eaten at all of them - las Lilas, Don Julio, La Cabrera - I could name 50 more. My favourite is Don Carlos. Yeah, it can be a sketchy neighbourhood at night, but I've never witnessed anything untoward. (And it's a pretty cheap uber ride). Best thing about Don Carlos is he just starts bringing you food - all kinds of different dishes, until you say no mas. And whatever comes off the grill is astounding. And it's about as cheap as it gets. Last time I was there I think it was 200p for three of us. Plus wine, plus tip.You my friend are a braver man than I. Do you know if they are open for lunch?

WorldTravel69
12-14-16, 22:22
Now at the very top of the Map.

Brandsen 699. Tel: +54 11 4362-2433. Hours: Tuesday to Saturday 11:30 am - 3:00 pm, 8:15 pm to 10:30 pm. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Don-Carlos/142140642522740.

You my friend are a braver man than I. Do you know if they are open for lunch?

DavieW
12-15-16, 11:53
You my friend are a braver man than I.I walked down there once, from my apartment in San Telmo.

But they wouldn't allow me to leave until there was a taxi waiting outside with its door open!

Tres3
12-15-16, 13:26
I have been coming to BA off and on since 1991. I have tried many steak houses, from the very expensive to the holes-in-the-wall. It seems as if I always end up at La Brigada. They have a great steak, slightly higher prices, good wine list, and English speaking waiters. The waiter trims your meat at the table with a spoon--it is that tender. I thought the spoon was a gimmick with sharpened edges, but several checks over the years have proven me wrong. The restaurant is located in San Telmo on Estados Unidos. Stay away on Sundays unless you like long waits and large crowds.

Tres3.

Esten
12-20-16, 01:12
I have been coming to BA off and on since 1991. I have tried many steak houses, from the very expensive to the holes-in-the-wall. It seems as if I always end up at La Brigada. They have a great steak, slightly higher prices, good wine list, and English speaking waiters. The waiter trims your meat at the table with a spoon--it is that tender. I thought the spoon was a gimmick with sharpened edges, but several checks over the years have proven me wrong. The restaurant is located in San Telmo on Estados Unidos. Stay away on Sundays unless you like long waits and large crowds.Agreed... La Brigada is top-notch. I always try to make it here when I am in town. Was able to enjoy dinner last trip with a fellow hombre. We were seated upstairs, which was fine. Though I prefer the large sectioned off room on the main level, which has lower lighting and a more mellow vibe. As I think this room is popular, reservations are especially recommended to ensure seating.

WorldTravel69
12-20-16, 13:06
I put in on the Map, but could not find the Hours of operation.

Estados Unidos 465. Tel: +54 11 4361-4685. Hours: ___. www.parrillalabrigada.com.ar https://www.facebook.com/parrillalabrigada/.

I have been coming to BA off and on since 1991. I have tried many steak houses, from the very expensive to the holes-in-the-wall. It seems as if I always end up at La Brigada. They have a great steak, slightly higher prices, good wine list, and English speaking waiters. The waiter trims your meat at the table with a spoon--it is that tender. I thought the spoon was a gimmick with sharpened edges, but several checks over the years have proven me wrong. The restaurant is located in San Telmo on Estados Unidos. Stay away on Sundays unless you like long waits and large crowds.

Tres3.