Thread: 2002-2004 Apartment Reports

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson

Havrum

I don't know where you got such info, but it doesn't seem accurate.

As far as I know, it is VERY rare to find accomodations for less than ar$20 a day in the Capital district, and that means a shared room in floor with 1-shared-toilet-and-shower, nothing really enticing to bring home a chica, let alone the privacy issue.

I would like to know what "central neighborhoods" are your talking about. I admit that Recoleta is upper-scale (upper-middle to high class) but Palermo as a whole is far from being "ultra-expensive".

Andres

Those places aren't called "habitaciones disponsibles"; habitación disponible simply means "room available."

Yes for 30-40 pesos ($10-13) you can get a nice hotel room in the center of the city. People paying anything over 100 pesos a night are suckers getting ripped off. 30 pesos a night may sound really cheap to us, but it gets even cheaper. There are these places called 'Habitacion Disponsibles' that are found all over the city except the ulra-expensive neighborhoods like Recoleta and Palermo. The average cost for a room with a shared bathroom is 20 pesos for 10 days. Thats not 20 pesos per day, but 20 pesos for 10 days! They are basically the same as boarding houses in the inner-cities of the US, which if any of you have ever been really poor you know what I'm talking about. The difference in Buenos Aires is that they cost $20 a month instead of $400 and are located in decent, central neighborhoods instead of neighborhoods like Brownsville, Brooklyn, SW DC, South Chicago or the South Bronx. Buenos Aires is not only a good place to be a rich, jet-setting john, but it's also a pretty good place to be poor too.

I'd be curious to see the reaction of a club chica to someone who takes them to a habitacion disponsible. They'd be horrified for sure, but the ironic thing is that their accomodations in far-flung suburb probably isn't much better. Clarin chicas, Flores and suburban clubs and streetwalkers probably wouldn't care since they are more "downmarket".

I just want to mention a few things about Mayra. I booked my apartment through her back in December for this trip at the Parera apartments. Everything went flawlessly. Even though there had been a price increase, Mayra has a very good relationship with the management, and called them to ensure they would honor the price I was quoted. I stayed in a larger apartment than I asked for because the smaller one was unavailable, and still paid the price I was quoted originally.

Mayra has excellent relationships with many of the hotels and apartment managers, and I will continue to book my arrangements solely with her. She has always been available to help with any of my travel needs.

I recieved the same emails some of the rest of you did, and I will be replying to let Argentinago know they have lost at least this customer. I would never have used their services in the first place, if not for Mayra. I understand that Mayra now has a new domain for Argentina Travel Services, and I'm sure Jackson or Roxanna will be posting contact details.

If anyone has questions about details, drop me a pm.

EZE

I just received the following message on my e-mail:

Dear Client,

______ I would like to inform you that our operator, Ms. Mayra Brill, is no longer working with us._
    Consequently, Argentina Go is not responsible for any service provided by Ms. Brill in the future.
    _We look forward to accommodating you on your next visit to Argentina.

Sincerely,
    Elena Presa de Preguerman.
    C.E.O.
    Argentina Go

I received good service from Mayra last month when I rented an apartment in Recoleta. Does anyone know the story here?

Hi,

Mayra severed her relationship with AgrentinaGo last week. She is now making hotel reservations and arranging apartments on her own. You can contact her at mayrabrill@Argentina.com.

Thanks,

Jackson

Another decent map is:
    www.pensaenargentina.com/esp2/esp2barrios.htm
    Back-track on the address and there are other areas.
    MAG

Jaimito:

www.cybermapas.com.ar
    (not that good, but enough for a proxy)

Hope this helps,

Andres

DFB - Okay, thanks for the info. If anyone has a link to an online map that is zoomable, and has the neighborhood names, I'd appreciate it.

Jaimito,

#1 is about 7 blocks from the prime intersection for mongering in Recoleta whereas #2 is about 13 blocks away.

#1 is closer than #2 to the action in the microcentre as well. #2 might be in more of a residential area as it is a bit further away from the center of the city.

Having said all of this, neither is particularly far, less than a $2 cab ride from the action. It's up to you if you prefer to be located more centrally (#1) or perhaps more typically residential (#2.)

Hope this helps.

DfB

I've got a couple of prospective apartments and I'm not sure how far they are from the the action. Any one area closer or better than the other?

#1 Paraná and Santa Fe Ave. (Recoleta)

#2 Arenales and Laprida I (Palermo)

I'm assuming the Recoleta is closer to the action, but I haven't been able to find a city map that has both the area name and streets online.

My Apt in Micro Center

www.bytargentina.com

click on area - San Martin

2 BR San Martin y MT de Alvear

On my block is a laundry, cafe, restaurant, grocery, chica club(Approach), pub, bar and anything else you may need.

It is 2 blocks from Cordoba where you find Cafe Orleans,
    3 blocks from Suipach where you find Hook, Cattos, Pipers Club and Ness.

If one so desires half block in the direction of Cordoba is a street called - Tres Sargentos - this street has a few SW. One looks pretty good a tall blond - not my bag

The apt has 2 br - a double and a single, kitchen and living room
    cable tv, AC in main BR, large fridge, micro wave, stove etc.
    It also has a full bath with tub and a half bath off of the kitchen.

No security guard, but of course the entrance is locked.

Phone service for local calls, weekly maid service included

I love the location near Florida st and the above mentioned monger locations. A short ride to Recoleta and near Floroda and Lavalle for walking and shopping.

Rate - $225 USD per week plus one week deposit

Negatives - needs more dishes and glasses, lumpy couch

Overall - great bargain and location. Great for the hobby.

I have been checking some of the links provided below. I've seen what look like some very nice places at reasonable (US$150-$250) a week. I've seen that some list a month's damage deposit, however. Is this normal, or do they actually ask it for a 2 week stay?

Otto & Me Gusta--

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah, I suppose what I am going to do is rent a suite at Loisuites for the first couple of days and then try to hook up with Mayri and ask to personally inspect the nicest apartments that she has listed.

(I really want this trip to be special because I will be playing house for about 5 days with my chica from MDP and it tends to get very claustrophobic in a regular hotel room-no matter how nice the neighborhood).

My great fear is that I rent an apartment "sight unseen" and then it ends up feeling dreary/seedy or the bed is lumpy, etc. (Again, lots of those apartments on the sites appear rather average -- no better than a nice suite at the Etoile).

In fact Jackson's joint on Argentina Private is far and away the nicest apartment of the hundreds I've inspected online. What's up with that!? Our fearless leader really struck gold with that place.

Happy Mongering
    (Its going to be good getting out this never ending winter in Moscow!)

In November Mayra located a very nice apartment for me one block down from the Patio Bullrich Mall on Posadas. IIRC the rate was US$50 a night for a short stay. But I found that truthfully, I prefer to stay in a hotel for such visits. Capt Dave's experience reinforces this opinion for me.

-Uncle Otto

LA,

Here are 3 more options:

Try www.homes.com.ar This is a real estate agency that handles short term rentals. Some very nice apartments.

Or try: http://realestate.escapeartist.com/P-22741/
    This is an upscale apartment in Recoleta.

www.buenosairesflat.com.ar is another option in Palermo Hollywood, a trendy area about a 5 peso cab ride from Recoleta.

Posting Limitations