This blog is moderated by Fat Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by FatJack  [View Original Post]
    Thank you for the information. Some slow, rainy day, I'll inquire at the immigration office by BuqueBus and post any material information to the board. Thanks again.
    The deal is that up until two years of overstaying a tourist visa, the fine is, currently, 4,000 pesos. You go to the immigration office on Av. Antartida Argentina to Bldg. # 2. Tell the guard you're there to pay a multa, walk through the door straight ahead, across the courtyard to door # 6. Once inside, on the left side of the bldg. is where you'd pay the fine. There is no stigma attached upon re-entry to the country.

For me it is a better option than making Colonia runs and / or the drudgery of the tramite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    You can pay at EZE. Im not sure about Buquebus. But go early. There are lines and the civil servents move more like tortugas then human beings.
    Thank you for the information. Some slow, rainy day, I'll inquire at the immigration office by BuqueBus and post any material information to the board. Thanks again.

You can pay at EZE. Im not sure about Buquebus. But go early. There are lines and the civil servents move more like tortugas then human beings.

Overstaying of visa penalty

Regarding a visa overstay, does anyone know if it is still permissible to pay a modest pre-departure fine at the immigration office located near the BuqueBus Terminal? Or even at Ezeiza on the day of departure for that matter?

After receiving absurd quotes, as high as $3,000 USD, to obtain a one year DNI, and not enthusiastic about doing the paperwork again myself, or doing the Colonia shuttle, a European friend here, with many years in Buenos Aires, recommended just going to the immigration office a few days prior to exiting Argentina and paying a nominal fine. In the past I've done the DNI tramite myself or just went to Colonia but with this (7 month) stay possibly my last in Buenos Aires, it might be easier to pay an inconsequential fine and save myself the aggravation. My friend said that there would be no stigma attached by immigration to any re-entry resulting from doing this once, maybe twice, but that is it.

Thanks in advance, Jack.

Posting Limitations