Thread: Robbery in Puerto Madero

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by El Max
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin2  [View Original Post]
    They were being dropped off at the hotel from the Airport. The news says that they have people "observing" looking for marks at the airport. These guys were targeted one way or the other from the time they stepped off the plane.

However, yes, do all the stuff Walleye is saying, or rather don't do the stuff he's telling you not to do.
    ...and do not travel with noticeably expensive luggage (e.g. Louis Vitton et al). The whole idea is to not look like anyone special.

Years ago, there was a similar incident in Bario Norte, in front of one of the nice apartment buildings (I think it was on Libertador or Alcorta (near the Chilean embassy, IIRC). It was a crime of opportunity (some guy looked like he had money, some guy who didn't have any wanted to take it and the victim ended up dead).

That said, Bs As is still pretty safe if you are smart.

The Venezuelan who shot him has been already detained; but to me the story does not make much sense (no one needs to be at the airport, but just at the 5 star hotel to target anyone), what makes sense was the clue that the victim had other ongoing concern in Argentina and was shot, and unlikely because of wearing some fancy watch (especially nowadays you can't distinguish between the original and an excellent fake at the distance). I'm not saying it could not have happened by accident or some violent and senseless nature of the assailant, I am just not buying the story.

All good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by WildWalleye  [View Original Post]
    Very sad news.

Wherever you are, you need to be vigilant and practice good situational awareness. Argentina is not particularly dangerous, but it isn't safe, either. Leave your nice stuff (Rolex, etc.) at home. You don't need to impress the chicas, they are going to f*** you no matter what.

The old guys here know that I will wander back to my hotel in the wee hours and not think twice about it. However, there is a method to my madness. I try to make myself as invisible as possible when I travel internationally. I don't check bags when traveling to Argentina (I'd rather donate my stuff to goodwill than have Argie baggage handlers steal it). I use the same remise company at the airport, nondescript run of the mill cars. I also (usually) don't stay at 5 star hotels. Opportunistic criminals looking for marks might as well start where they can realistically expect people to have money. Walking out of Armani or any of the nice shops on Alvear is a good way to get pegged as a target.

I remember checking into the Alvear Palace one time and the lovely young lady at reception commented on my watch (nice dress watch but not a name brand pricey watch). She then suggested that I not wear it on the street. I've stayed at the aforementioned Alvear Palace and the Four Seasons, but I normally stay at 3-4 star places (LOI Suites, Urban Suites, etc.). Anyone walking out of a 5-star hotel in Buenos Aires is a potential mark.

Be safe, be smart and monger on.
    They were being dropped off at the hotel from the Airport. The news says that they have people "observing" looking for marks at the airport. These guys were targeted one way or the other from the time they stepped off the plane.

However, yes, do all the stuff Walleye is saying, or rather don't do the stuff he's telling you not to do.

Very sad news.

Wherever you are, you need to be vigilant and practice good situational awareness. Argentina is not particularly dangerous, but it isn't safe, either. Leave your nice stuff (Rolex, etc.) at home. You don't need to impress the chicas, they are going to f*** you no matter what.

The old guys here know that I will wander back to my hotel in the wee hours and not think twice about it. However, there is a method to my madness. I try to make myself as invisible as possible when I travel internationally. I don't check bags when traveling to Argentina (I'd rather donate my stuff to goodwill than have Argie baggage handlers steal it). I use the same remise company at the airport, nondescript run of the mill cars. I also (usually) don't stay at 5 star hotels. Opportunistic criminals looking for marks might as well start where they can realistically expect people to have money. Walking out of Armani or any of the nice shops on Alvear is a good way to get pegged as a target.

I remember checking into the Alvear Palace one time and the lovely young lady at reception commented on my watch (nice dress watch but not a name brand pricey watch). She then suggested that I not wear it on the street. I've stayed at the aforementioned Alvear Palace and the Four Seasons, but I normally stay at 3-4 star places (LOI Suites, Urban Suites, etc.). Anyone walking out of a 5-star hotel in Buenos Aires is a potential mark.

Be safe, be smart and monger on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Walleye For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ElMax  [View Original Post]
    https://www.clarin.com/policiales/pu..._DNDKlMFa.html

You can see the video above.

Robbery in Puerto Madero

Posting Limitations