Thread: 2002-2004 WSG Reports

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson

Jaimito,

I agree with you. I think it depends on the country. I've used my Paypal.com debit card in every country (except Cuba) that I've traveled to and it's been the only card that has always worked without problems. The rate was always really good too. Far too little to notice anyway.

Also, for those of you that try to get a taxi for holidays like Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve coming up. You better book ahead of time. Most companies don't take reservations that night because they are booked ahead of time. Luckily I found a driver that I convinced to work on his night off. He took me and my date around on Christmas Eve. I saw literally hundreds of people in the streets trying to flag down a taxi to no avail. The same can probably be expected on New Year's Eve. All the remise companies I tried to use were all full so it was a wise move. It wasn't cheap but well worth it after seeing so many people trying to flag down a taxi. If you know of a special taxi driver, see if you can pay him to work that night or if he has a friend that is willing to.

I've been crazy busy trying to get things done and catching up from restoring information from my laptop being stolen. Anyway, I'm happy to report that Santa is bringing me a new Dell '17 inch laptop soon from the USA. I also decided to take a much needed vacation to Brazil for New Year's Eve. BA is usually dead around this time. Most of my amigovias are out of town visiting family. I'm flying to Rio on Thursday and will try to make it to Buzios to get some beach time although the prospects of finding a hotel in Buzios is probably slim and none. I'll relax in Rio if I can't make it to Buzios for a week or so.

Life is still good but would be much better if my laptop wasn't stolen....Happy New Year's all.

NFL on FOX for Football Fans

I do not know why but suddenly Fox (Ch. 17 on Cable) carried Packers / Vikings on Christmas Eve; Oakland and KC yesterday and today (Sunday) Indy and San Diego and now Cowboys and Redskins. Before all I ever found was ESPN Sunday and Monday nite games.

A pleasant surprise and hopefully they will continue coverage through playoffs.

Paypal 2.5%?

Quote Originally Posted by Cachorro
    For example, PayPal is low on fees, but takes a 2.5% margin on the interbank rate. It would work out less expensive with a bank that charges a fee per transaction, and a margin of 1.5%.
    I've always considered that I've gotten good rates for exchange in other countries. 2.5% sounded quite high. I withdrew money here in Costa Rica yesterday, and was charged less than 1% difference than the official rate. Perhaps in some countries it's variable, but I've always considered this card a pretty good one to use, as it's worked in every country I've ever gone to.

Kidnappings

In the five year period from 1999-2003, there were 116 reported kidnappings involving non-Argentinean victims. Of these, 44 were US citizens. Of the 116, 63 were released after paying a ransom of some kind. 26 were killed before ransom was paid. 18 were killed after ransom was paid. 5 were released without ransom being paid, and 4 were freed by the police.

Sources: www.purotrucho.com.ar , www.esunchiste.com.ar , www.matachetos.com.ar

Dickhead

Dick,

How did you get on last nochie !!!!, we dragged dos out of the same place ( good value )

We tagged teamed them.

I like these smaller places and there are some gems there.

All the best, if your not at the Mansion Christmas barbie, all the best for christmas dias.

Aussie Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint
    All good points. Andres, can you tell us though how many foreigners have been kidnapped over the years? I haven't read anything about foreigners/tourists getting kidnapped but mostly locals. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd really like to get statistics.

As far as the guys buying properties. Ironically, they aren't "really wealthy guys" but just hardworking folks that really love the city and want a good return on an investment.

As far as the business climate here, it's really corrupt. It's no wonder that people prefer doing business with an American rather than a local. The #1 reason why I'm getting new clients is because people do NOT want to work with a local. I've never had a more difficult time dealing with people that change the price at the last minute (even after you have agreed on a price), changing the terms or changing conditions. I don't trust the locals at all as far as business goes other than the small circle of professionals I have come to trust.

I'm being more careful now and Andres made some good points. I don't meet up with new people and I have a close circle of friends I go out with. I don't meet up with many WSG guys and prefer not to. Those of you moving down here, just be careful. It's still a beautiful city that I really love but make no mistake that you're in South America. The level of corruption here is unbelievable.
    Saint:

Every other week there are stories about tourists who disappear or get in trouble. In this week's Clarin newspaper, it was mentioned the missing of a Swiss woman, I guess at Mendoza. My take is that these cases are rare and do not follow the typical kidnapping pattern of weeks of intelligence data gathering.

Your case is borderline, since you are a semi-foreigner, semi-local, as an expat manager form a multinational company, with the advantage (or disadvantage) that nobody may be a good reference to pay ransom for you. You may ask an expat manager to know how he/she deals with that.

I didn't mean that your customers are those wealthy Argentinians. I just meant that these people buy the class of property that you sell. As far as I know, your niche is the foreigner who wants a high quality service and top property. As you pointed out, many local people is untrustworthy, so it is a smart move to focus on foreigners.

Andres

As long as they do the dishes. "Cocino yo pero lavan UDS." And don't put the empty condom wrappers back in the drawer, por favor.

Hey, that even rhymes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    So I guess my risk of being kidnapped is a little lower than Saint's? BTW all you kidnappers out there, I always eat breakfast at La Biela and dinner at Cabaņa Las Lilas. At night you can usually find me at Black and in the afternoons look for me at Patio Bullrich. If you want to kidnap me on the weekends, I'll be at the polo matches. Also I jog regularly in Puerto Madero. Unfortunately I am leaving tomorrow for a month's vacation in Punta del Este but you could probably kidnap me in the private Mercedes Benz limo I am taking to the airport, if you act fast.
    I guess that your risk is being kidnapped by a pack of hungry gatas who already know your cooking skills. The ransom would be cooking for all of them for a whole month and having sex afterwards with ALL of them.

Andres

All good points. Andres, can you tell us though how many foreigners have been kidnapped over the years? I haven't read anything about foreigners/tourists getting kidnapped but mostly locals. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd really like to get statistics.

As far as the guys buying properties. Ironically, they aren't "really wealthy guys" but just hardworking folks that really love the city and want a good return on an investment.

As far as the business climate here, it's really corrupt. It's no wonder that people prefer doing business with an American rather than a local. The #1 reason why I'm getting new clients is because people do NOT want to work with a local. I've never had a more difficult time dealing with people that change the price at the last minute (even after you have agreed on a price), changing the terms or changing conditions. I don't trust the locals at all as far as business goes other than the small circle of professionals I have come to trust.

I'm being more careful now and Andres made some good points. I don't meet up with new people and I have a close circle of friends I go out with. I don't meet up with many WSG guys and prefer not to. Those of you moving down here, just be careful. It's still a beautiful city that I really love but make no mistake that you're in South America. The level of corruption here is unbelievable.

So I guess my risk of being kidnapped is a little lower than Saint's? BTW all you kidnappers out there, I always eat breakfast at La Biela and dinner at Cabaņa Las Lilas. At night you can usually find me at Black and in the afternoons look for me at Patio Bullrich. If you want to kidnap me on the weekends, I'll be at the polo matches. Also I jog regularly in Puerto Madero. Unfortunately I am leaving tomorrow for a month's vacation in Punta del Este but you could probably kidnap me in the private Mercedes Benz limo I am taking to the airport, if you act fast.

Security - Kidnappings

I didn't want to talk about that issue since is repelling for many (especially coming from a local who knows better), but the real danger to well dressed, well groomed, foreign visitors is kidnappings: Physical abuse (no food for 1-2 weeks, torture, even finger maiming in order to get info), psychological sequels, etc.

Be aware and, as Thomaso276 said, don't mention many Dollar figures in this public board (or any other indicator of wealth). I KNOW that local mongers read it (they told me). If possible, don't follow an easily traceable schedule (like always taking breakfast at the same nice coffee shop or visiting the same restaurant every Thursday).

As strange as it may sound, the most important kidnappers are VERY wealthy people, the kind of guys who would buy Saint-class properties. For instance, "El Negro Sombra" was a famous gang boss who owned more than 100 homes at different country clubs. So, if you mingle with wealthy Argentinians, pay double attention. They are wealthy for several reasons, among which could be "fast fundraising".

I guess that the AmCham (American Argentine Trade Chamber) provides leaflets of how to take basic precautions. Call the Embassy and find there the AMCham number.

I feel that I have to express my sorrow for having to talk about such nasty issue in this board.

Hope this helps,

Andres

Security

As long as we are talking security issues let me put my two cents in. Many other people can read this board, possibly including more sophisticaded thieves, or worse. I think it might be a good idea not to let others know how much money you may or may not control. Some numbers mentioned herein are just about ransom level and would certainly raise the interest level of those looking for targets. This is kidnap country boys. If you get my drift.

Custer

Actually, Custer's last words were: "Where did all these fucking Indians come from?"

14. 12-23-04 13:29

Good thoughts Moondog

I agree that these thieves are like magicians. It's good that so many posts are posted as follow up comments. I hope it causes all of you to keep your guard up. As far as my client being involved. No way possible. This is not only a client but also a friend. I know this guy well and have known him for a few years. He is one of the good guys. We still are baffled how they got it.

Yes, I was busy on the cell phone (as always) and searching through my Palm Pilot scheduling appointments. Anyway, like I said... it won't happen again. Just stay on your guard and watch your things. If you are carrying bags, watch them like a hawk.

Happy Holidays all.

Saint

A Tip Against Restaurant/Cafe Thefts

When living in BA my wife and other women would do the following. Put the leg of your chair or table through the strap of your handbag or computer case. It will complicate the snatch and make them look for other targets.

Theives in Buenos Aires are among the best. You know that park in front of tha Marriott Hotel in Microcentro? I was there one afternoon during a photo display an Argentine had his expensive watch pulled off his wrist, the thief was out of the park and on the back of his partner's motorbike and off in a cloud of dust, all in under 30 seconds.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations