Thread: Spanish Phrases

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

What's the meaning of Mariposa Traicionera?

I've watched this music video by Mana entitled "Mariposa Traicionera" and I know mariposa means butterfly. In Thailand and the Philippines, a "butterfly" is a person (normally a man) who does not stay with one person. Does it have the same meaning or common usage in Spanish because I don't think I've ever heard it used that way in my travels through Latin America? (Nice looking gal in the video!)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...14799189754094

Quote Originally Posted by Sham Bo
    Forgive my dumbitude, so "no sos mas boludo porque no te alcanza el tiempo" translates as what?
    You are not more stupid because there isn't enough time to be more stupid (in other words you are always stupid)

Forgive my dumbitude, so "no sos mas boludo porque no te alcanza el tiempo" translates as what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sham Bo
    I have to say, I have no idea what the 2nd part of the above means. The uses of the verb alcanzar freaks me out.

My diccionario says catch up, strike, hit, reach, be enough, manage.

Which meaning is it?
    The saying is a little complicated, but here is the meaning:

You are so stupid that there isn't any more time to be much dumber.

By the way, the meaning of alcanzar in this "dicho" is; "be enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Julio
    And here's another pretty one: "no sos mas boludo porque no te alcanza el tiempo".
    I have to say, I have no idea what the 2nd part of the above means. The uses of the verb alcanzar freaks me out.

My diccionario says catch up, strike, hit, reach, be enough, manage.

Which meaning is it?

Your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung
    I love this one - I have never been able to figure out why the masculine form for this word. A monger is a "gato" and a chica is also a "gato".

Every dictionary of "Lunfardo" (slang) I have consulted has "gato" as poor or homeless and no allusion to mongers or chicas. This is especially strange as everyone here uses the term.

What your maid probably said was that a "gata" was a "working" girl but it is not used as a verb. The verb is "gatear"

Strange creatures languages!
    I've often wondered about this as well. As there are many many clubs around the Recoletta cemetary and there are a lot of cats in the Recoletta cemetary could there perhaps have been a reference to "gatos de la noche" como "chica de la noche?"

Have the working girl type of clubs been in that area long enough for this to have happened?

Another word for a working girl is "yiro". (pronounced geero) and strangely enough it's also masculine (El yiro) The verb is "yirar"

This is not the politest of terms and though some girls may use it or laugh at it you may come across others that won't.

"Trola" is another very often used in Argentina.

For those of you interested in different Latin languages take a look here and you'll find some very different meanings for words in other Spanish speaking countries.

http://www.asihablamos.com/word/palabra/Yiro.php

Gato (and more meanings)

Also, chicas call their customers as "gatos". In other words, the noun "gato" means at least 3 things: chica, client -and of course a male cat. Conversely, "to work as a chica" is (a) gatear or (be) laburar (a chica would rarely say gatear since sounds patronizing.

[QUOTE=Doggboy]Thanks AL. I bet you are right and it was "estoy". The context-after I gave a gato (a) a weighty fucking.[/ QUOTE].Gat (o) sounds bad eh? It's like we changed bands! But Gat (a) would mean a little furry four legged thing and that would be even worse!

Come to think of it I wonder if gatO has anything to do with those strange creatures that seem to sprout from under the side walks after dark that are so popular in Argentina and that some mongers eagerly search for in Palermo gardens at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung
    You are right - It's incorrect. I don't have a clue where you got it but it could be for example YO eStOY de VIAJE. "I am on a trip" (with all the meanings you can give it in English) or something like that. The typical way Argentines slur can make it difficult to understand all the words completly. For example STABIÉ for "Esta bien"
    Thanks AL. I bet you are right and it was "estoy". The context-after I gave a gato (a) a weighty fucking.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    And another-my maid explained to me that a gato is referred to as a gato, rather than a gata, because she is working. Something like a combination of a noun and a verb. Like a female cat who is working.
    I love this one - I have never been able to figure out why the masculine form for this word. A monger is a "gato" and a chica is also a "gato".

Every dictionary of "Lunfardo" (slang) I have consulted has "gato" as poor or homeless and no allusion to mongers or chicas. This is especially strange as everyone here uses the term.

What your maid probably said was that a "gata" was a "working" girl but it is not used as a verb. The verb is "gatear"

Strange creatures languages!

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    How about "Yo soy viaje". "I am trip" just doesn't sound like an accurate translation to me. Any ideas?
    You are right - It's incorrect. I don't have a clue where you got it but it could be for example YO eStOY de VIAJE. "I am on a trip" (with all the meanings you can give it in English) or something like that. The typical way Argentines slur can make it difficult to understand all the words completly. For example STABIÉ for "Esta bien"

Gato vs. Gata

And another-my maid explained to me that a gato is referred to as a gato, rather than a gata, because she is working. Something like a combination of a noun and a verb. Like a female cat who is working.

How about "Yo soy viaje". "I am trip" just doesn't sound like an accurate translation to me. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    I'm trying to remember a phrase that means a dicktease. Literally it says "She heats the water but doesn't serve the mate." Is it "Caliente la agua pero no serve los mates?"

Help me brothers, I love this phrase but can't remember it.
    "Una calienta la pava y otra se toma el mate".

And here's another pretty one: "no sos mas boludo porque no te alcanza el tiempo".

Posting Limitations