Thread: Argentina - Travel Information

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson
    I imagine this question has been answered at some point, about 3,456 posts ago. But can anyone tell me. . . if I bring my own GSM phone with me to BA, is it possible to purchase a prepaid SIM card that will allow me to use it there? To give me local service with local rates? I'm trying to avoid spending a lot of money on buying or renting.

Thanks,

Guillermo

El Aleman,

They are changing some laws so it's increasingly difficult to get long term contracts and buy phones, etc without an address. The cool thing is that it doesn't necessarily have to be a residential address. I learned that I could use my office address for things like my CDI etc. The police official comes to deliver it and just verifies if the person lives/works there. I was given the choice to give my home or work address and in fact my partner just uses the office address when address verification is necessary.

The annoying thing about getting your CDI is you have to actually be home if you use your residential address so you have to wait around. I found at the office that isn't the case. Anyway, I'm learning new things everyday here.

ArgentinaGo opens new office in Buenos Aires

Hi everyone,

I know some of you, and some I've never met before. I wanted to introduce myself for those of you that don't know me. I'm a co-owner of Argentinago.com. I want to change the way travel agencies work in Buenos Aires. Many travel agencies are very unorganized and just not up to date compared with other countries around the world. Most are operated by people that have no physical office and are basically working out of their apartment. If there is a problem you have very little control. I am happy to announce that ArgentinaGo is now an official travel agency with the city of Buenos Aires.

I have implemented several different ideas here at ArgentinaGo. We have an actual office where we will allow our clients to use free high-speed internet, send and receive faxes and also make FREE calls to the USA and Canada. We will also have the ability to dial toll-free 800/888/877 type numbers to the USA, which is not possible to make from the normal phones in Argentina or the internet cafes.

We have hired employees that actually have a tourism background and a tourism degree. All our employees speak English and will be happy to assist you in any way possible. Anyone can book your hotel or apartment or arrange your airport pickup. We don't want to be just "anyone". We want to be more than just someone that books your reservations. We have secured some of the lowest rates for hotels and apartments and we will always strive to make sure you get a fair price.

My office will soon have a USA telephone number so those that have questions or need help booking will not have to make an international long distance phone call. In the meantime, you can email me with your USA number and a member of my staff will be happy to call you back. Or of course, you can email your request.

The honest truth is most travel agencies book the exact same rooms at
    the same prices as one another. I want our clients to receive extra benefits that they simply can't receive from someone that is working out of their apartment or from their cell phone. I am committed to making sure each and every one of our clients has a good experience while they are in my favorite city in the entire world.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or comments. I know you have a choice when making your reservations and I hope you will consider ArgentinaGo. Please take the time to visit our webpage if you haven't done so recently. We have revised it and added many packages and tours.

www.argentinago.com
    mike@argentinago.com

When I was in BA last time (March 04), I just bought a GSM phone with prepaid SIM card, from GTI. I paid A$R 150,-, which included (I think) A$R 50,- for calls. That way, I have my Argentina phone to make local calls, and I am still reachable over my German one. Refills for the Argentina phone are available at GTI shops and PharmaCity (and on the internet, but that does not work for whatever reason).

The slight problem is, for buying a phone in Argentina, you need a local residential address. This address is used exactly once - they send you a sales confirmation and invoice about the amount you paid cash when taking the phone. I could do it using one of my Argentinian business partners, but for somebody who is just on vacation, that IS a problem.

Saint, maybe that would be something for you. I would in that case not rent it out, but sell the phone (with whatever credit is left on the SIM) for maybe U$S 50,-, and buy it back for 30,-. If it is lost (or stolen, or run over by a truck) - not your problem.

El Aléman

Miami Bob,

If those rates are accurate you posted that is a GREAT deal. The biggest problem I've encountered with cellphone rentals is it RARELY is what they post on their site or contract. That's a great deal if they have no minimum usage daily charge.

What I will do is offer a free very modern GSM local cellphone to use for free with my apartments. You can buy refillable credits at any newsstand. As best I can tell it's about 1 peso per minute for outgoing and I get free incoming as long as the calls aren't made from an internet cafe. Most people that call me are from another cellphone or landline so I don't think I'm being charged for those incoming calls.

I doubt much money can be made from cellphone rentals. Instead what might be a viable business is for me (or an assistant) to go down to the phone company, spend the time waiting in line and getting a SIM card and just charging a flat fee to deliver that SIM card to someone when they arrive. There is something to be said for not having to get in a taxi, communication difficulties, etc. I'm still thinking things over in regards to cellphones.

I agree that the Vonage phone works great. I use mine daily and it's cool how my friends can call me from the USA and never even pay a long distance charge. It's like making a local call for them. I also love the aspect of being able to dial 800/888/877 toll-free numbers that are impossible to dial outside of the USA otherwise.

PHONERENTAL.COM

Is free for the first week, they charge 60 centavos outing and 16 centavos for incoming. You only pay for your use. check-out the website. They charge VAT of 21 percent.
    They charged me 10 pesos for the one and one half weeks beyondthe free first week for rental charges.

NEXTEL

Will nextel in BA set up an account for buying minutes with an ebay perchased sim card??

SAINT--Can you offer a deal like phonerental.com.

I need a phone for my november trip?

VONAGE--CAPT DAVE and I set-up my vonage box on a internet connection and it worked like a charm. We had a working miami telephone number to both send and receive. the line was as clear as a normal phone connection!

DOES THE VONAGE SOFT PHONE[based on software, rather than hardware] work well?

Modern technology, why can't they perfect the condom?

Bob

Keep in mind that the cellphone companies in BA charge a 30% telecommunications tax. Also, almost all of them have a 10 peso per day minimum charge so if you aren't using your phone too much it doesn't make sense. I also find the phones are older models and sometimes a little bulky.

I've found the best option if you come often is to buy your own SIM card with Unifon (Telefonica). It entails waiting in lines up to 1+ hour sometimes though.

I'm going to be offering free or low cost cellphones with my apartments and I'm toying with the idea of getting a few extra cellphones to rent out but not sure it's worth the hassles.

NEXTEL in ARGENTINA

My USA Nextel phone always worked in Argentina, but the local calls in BA are US$2. 00 per minute.

During my May, 2004 trip, I turned on the phone to get a few usa telephone numbers and the radio started buzzing?

NEXTEL's radio service works now between the USA and BA. I have used in quite a bit and it really works well. Nextel is promoting the new service between South America and the USA. As of last month. the international serice was free--no charge beyond the normal contract charges for use in the USA.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET A NEXTEL SIM CARD--buyable on ebay--set-up in BA to purchase cel minutes in Argentina for use in Argentina at the Argentine rates? I can't use a monthly contract. I have made 5 trips to BA over the last year, but I don't spend enough time in BA to have a monthly contract make sense. I own a Nextel Motorola i90c which I assume is locked.

Bob Miami, Florida USA

PHONERENTAL.COM 5411 4311 2933

I rented a cel from them for two and one half weeks last month.
    i had a good experience. They met me at the airport. The agent spoke good english. They took my AMX card imprint and handed me a almost new motorola v600; two battereis; a home charger and a car charger [which I requested]; a black leather case. They gave me clear written instructions for all the basic phone functions.

The costs were exactly as advertized on the website. They emailed me an intemized bill the morning that they were s chedualed to pick-up the phone. We had a brief meeting, in english, for the final bill and pick-up of the phone at the location of my choice.
    They also gave a 10 o/o discount for cash in either pesos or US$.

I finally found a good rental company, but now it's time to buy a gms unlocked phone and buy a sim card from Personel which I can recharge with time cards. Better late than never.

This outfit has an USA office in San Diego, Calf. You can call their office toll free from the USA to verify everthing and pick-up your telephone numbers ahead of time.

The BA cel service with this company was very good.

Bob

Try Varig at www.varigbrasil.com/english and go to the special internet deals. You may even be able to stay in GIG or GRU for a side-trip.

Also, www.carbone-travel.com appears to be a decent-priced, reputable seller for travelers going to Argentina. You may want to give them a call.

I hope that this helps.

Try this consolidator:

http://www.americastravel.net/airfare/index.htm

I'm trying to book a flight from the west coast of the US for mid October. I'm getting either $1300 or so from United or $800 or so far a 5 stop 29 hour flight on various airlines. Anyone have any ideas about where I can check?

For those looking for the link to the $399 ($461 with taxes) from Miami, use the link below:

http://dps1.travelocity.com/cannonball.ctl?frontDoor=Y&Service=TRAVELOCITY&adj_intl_tm=US&expr_path=Y&fare_network=TRUE&last_pgd_page=ushpnbff.pgd&SEQ=742981305109252445817&htl_pkgs=OFFER&tt2=DISPLAY&inp_num_cnx=&inp_dep_arp_cd_1=mia&inp_arr_arp_cd_1=eze&SearchMethod=BestFareFinder&leaveMonth=9&inp_dep_dt_dy_1=2&inp_dep_tm_1=+&returnMonth=9&inp_ret_dep_dt_dy=5&inp_ret_dep_tm=+&departure_dt=Aug&arrival_dt=Dec&inp_adult_pax_cnt=1&inp_child_pax_cnt=0&inp_senior_pax_cnt=0&child_age_1=-%3F-&child_age_2=-%3F-&child_age_3=-%3F-&child_age_4=-%3F-&child_age_5=-%3F-&submitFH=%3CDIV%3ESearch+Flights%3CBR%3E%2B+Hotels%3C%2FDIV%3E&submitFO=%3CDIV%3ESearch+Flights%3C%2FDIV%3E

Or just go to Travelocity, and enter MIA to EZE, and enter flexible dates. This pricing is from LAN Peru. Stops in Lima.

FYI from Happy:

August 12, 2004
    United Announces Bonus Miles Offer, Low Fares for Travel Between Chicago and Buenos Aires, and United has reinstated daily, nonstop service between Chicago and Buenos Aires starting on October 31, 2004, with continuing service to Montevideo, Uruguay.

CHICAGO, August 12, 2004 - United Airlines today announced a Mileage Plus bonus offer and limited-time introductory fares for passengers traveling between Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD) and Buenos Aires' Ezeiza International Airport (EZE). Mileage Plus® members can earn miles in all booking classes - 8,000 miles for United First®, 5,000 miles for United Business®, and 3,000 miles for United Economy® - when they purchase and fly a qualifying roundtrip between Chicago and Buenos Aires between October 1, 2004, and January 31, 2005.* United is offering a reduced fare of $489 for travel each way between the two cities, with fares as low as $429 for travel each way between Buenos Aires and other U.S. cities via Chicago.** United's reinstated daily, nonstop service between Chicago and Buenos Aires begins October 31, 2004, with continuing service to Montevideo, Uruguay.
    "We're thrilled to reintroduce service between our hometown hub and Buenos Aires with an attractive bonus miles offer and great, low fares," said Martin White, senior vice president-Marketing. "We're offering customers another convenient option for traveling between South America and Chicago - a United gateway to practically anywhere in the world - at an exceptional value."

Mileage Plus members can register for the bonus miles offer at http://www.united.com/offer/MPI264 or by calling 1-800-447-6772 and entering code 305. See bonus offer terms and conditions below for full details. Customers can purchase Chicago-Buenos Aires introductory fares at http://www.united.com/bookonline. Introductory fares are each way based on required roundtrip purchase by August 25, 2004. Fares are valid for travel Monday through Thursday in November 2004. See fare facts below for additional details.

United is the only carrier offering nonstop service between Chicago and South America. From Chicago, United also provides daily, nonstop service to Sao Paulo (GRU), with continuing service to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) in Brazil. United also serves Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo nonstop from its Washington Dulles hub.

United plans to operate its Chicago-Buenos Aires route with a Boeing 767 aircraft. United Flight 855 departs Chicago at 9:25 p.m. (CST) and arrives in Buenos Aires the next morning at 11:45 a.m. local time. United Flight 854 departs Buenos Aires at 8:45 p.m. local time and arrives in Chicago at 5:10 a.m. (CST) the following morning.

About United

United, United Express and Ted (OTCBB: UALAQ.OB) operate more than 3,500 flights a day on a route network that spans the globe. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company's web site at http://www.united.com/.

* BONUS OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Offer valid for travel between October 31, 2004, and January 31, 2005. Offer is not combinable with other offers and may be earned up to a maximum of three times. Offer is valid in all booking classes: 8,000 for F/A, 5,000 for C/D and 3,000 for other Economy. Offer valid for members who reside in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Argentina. A roundtrip is required. A roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel beginning in the outbound destination city back to the first origin city with all segments on United. Open jaws and circle trip itinerary are not allowed. Offer valid on qualifying paid, published fares only and only on flights operated by United. Offer not applicable to United-marketed code share flights operated by other carriers. E-ticket purchase required where available. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Not valid on Government fares. Bonus miles apply to base flight miles only and do not count toward elite status. Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject to the rules of the United Mileage Plus program. Bonus miles will be deposited six to eight weeks upon completion of qualifying travel. The Mileage Plus Program, including accruals, awards and bonus miles offers, is subject to change without notice. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. For complete details about the Mileage Plus program, visit www.united.com. Promotion code MPI 264.

** FARE FACTS: Fares above are each way based on required roundtrip purchase for United Economy® travel on United Airlines®, TedSM, and United Express® carriers. Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights/dates. Purchase Requirements: Tickets must be purchased at least 7 days in advance and ticketed within 72 hours of making reservations, but no later than 8/25/04. Sale fares apply to U.S. point-of-sale only. Reservations and ticket purchases on united.com must be completed simultaneously. Travel Days/Dates: Fares are valid for travel Monday through Thursday with travel commencing by between November 1, 2004 and November 30, 2004. Fares on other days of the week are higher. Blackout Dates: None. Min./Max. Stay: A 3-night stay is required and the maximum stay is 30 days. Flight Restrictions: Travel on the international segment must be on UA 854/855 operating non-stop between Chicago and Buenos Aires. Additional Taxes/Fees: Fare does not include the September 11th Security Fee of up to $10 maximum per roundtrip or Passenger Facility Charges of up to $18, which may be collected depending on the itinerary. Fare is subject to U.S. arrival and departure taxes and agricultural, immigrations and customs fees of up to $40. For travel to some countries, additional airport, transportation, embarkation, security, duty, equalization and passenger service taxes/surcharges of up to $48 will apply depending on destination. For return travel from some countries, fare does not include airport and/or departure taxes of up to $36, which may be collected by the foreign government. Itinerary Changes: Tickets are non-refundable, but the return portion may be changed for a $100 fee, provided the new itinerary is within the parameters of this offer, minimum and maximum stay requirements are met, and the origin and destination are not changed. If the reservation is cancelled before the ticketed departure date, the itinerary may be rebooked up to one year from the original ticket issuance date for a $100 service charge. If a reservation is not cancelled before the ticketed departure date, the ticket has no value. Other Conditions: Fares are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Punter 127,

I just came off their site, so here it is for you, off course it is their main link: www.travelocity.com/

You can register and they come up with the deals etc. I have used Travelocity a few times and they are OK, nothing special though.

I now tend to get at least 5 online quotes from different sources and get my broker to better them: 7 out of 10 times he can match the quoate and gets my business…

Regards, Havanaman

PHONERENTAL.com.ar --5411 4311 2933

What's poop on these folks. I'm going to need a cel in a few days. Their web site isn't clear to me and my phone call left questions.

I have rented before only through a hotel and the rates I remeber were higher.

Is this the same place that the hotels use?

Free pick-up at the airport.
    One week free rental.
    Local rates--
    Outgoing calls .60 pesos per min
    Incoming .12 pesos

Looks good!

Are they honest and straight foward.

Anyone know them?

Bob

Posting Limitations