Thread: Airlines

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    What is up with the airlines? Gas is cheap and I had heard that the fares would drop.

Funny I can go to Ecuador for $500, but it cost $1200-1400 to go to Argentina?
    I think most gas is bought well in advance by airlines (like six months). I'm sure we will see cheaper prices this summer. Just a guess, but I bet gas is way cheaper in Ecuador than Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    What is up with the airlines? Gas is cheap and I had heard that the fares would drop.

It s called CRISTINA! LOL.

They think that this is Europe, everything is very expensive here! It s actually getting more expensive then London! WTF??

Have a great trip!

Maria.

Planning a trip

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man  [View Original Post]
    Anybody with experience in the new LAN business class?
    Nice lie flat seats in LAN business class:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lan-l...lass-b763.html

http://www.lan.com/sitio_personas/mi...767/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joe23  [View Original Post]
    Can flying through Santiago de Chile be an option for you? If I am correct, AA flies from LA to SCL, ant then you can fly LAN from SCL to BA.

LAN is a One World member so you might be able to use / save your AA mileage.
    Yes. I have actually done the Buenos Aires, Santiago and Lima triumvirate of mongering more than once. I took a liking to first class when it took only 120,000 mileage points. Now first class is in the order of 390,000 miles.

LAN does not have first class so you have to sit next to someone. Although I have heard they have improved the LAN business class seats. Anybody with experience in the new LAN business class?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan  [View Original Post]
    My true concern was Miami which I do consider the worst airport in the world.
    Can flying through Santiago de Chile be an option for you? If I am correct, AA flies from LA to SCL, ant then you can fly LAN from SCL to BA.

LAN is a One World member so you might be able to use / save your AA mileage.

Buenos Aires to Miami Daytime Flight Satisfactory

Rather than flying overnight through Dallas like I usually do I tried the new Buenos Aires to Miami flight that leaves at 10:20 Am.

In BA, lines are much shorter at both security and immigration which gives more time to relax in the lounge. The the new AA Lounge is upgraded with power plugs at every seat.

My true concern was Miami which I do consider the worst airport in the world. First I always arrange that I have a good amount time between flights. AA (prpbably believing they can pull this off) automatically switched me to an earlier flight. As I got off the plane they handed me a boarding pass in a red folder which was supposed to give me priority through immigration and customs. Well I am Global Entry and Trusted Traveler anyway so I do not really need it. First Global Entry Kiosk I try is not working. System does not recognize me. I try another and luckily it goes through. Armed with the red card, I get in the the diplomats and airline personnel line which is slightly shorter than the Global Entry line. The custom's agent asked me if I bought anything and I say just some Christmas stuff. As I am walking away, the agent asks me if I bought more than $2000 in Christmas shit. I just laughed and said "No Way.".

I head to the gate in fairly good time. It turns out the boarding gate listed on the boarding pass had changed. Now I am OJ Simpson which is a sorry sight to see being a 62 year old fat guy. I make it but I am the second to last person to board the plane. Luckily they do not give away those First Class overhead storage bins. Uneventful ride home.

Of course once you reach LA you now encounter the worst taxi drivers in the world. I live 4 miles from the airport and the guy got lost (well only one wrong turn). "Turn here. Turn here." He does not quite hear me. Cab driver was playing Christmas music so I tip him 25%.

Reach the house by 23:00 hours which is 4:00 AM BA time. So waking up at 6:00 AM in BA made it a 22 hour trek and I had a nice nap three hour on BA to Miami flight.

I do like the daytime flight. I just wish it went through DFW. I know Texas is California's great rival but I do admit the Texans are damn good. Worthy rivals.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Boss Man For This Post:

My Classic Argentinian Experience

I cannot even avoid the type As at the airport. I get to the airport and of course there is only one person checking IDs and there is a long line. So I am premiere class so I immediately go to the front of the line. Some woman starts complaining that ID checker should take her first while I do the machine check in. Sorry darling. The world works.

In a slightly different way. Something in the Argentinean air brings out people's egos.

Lan Website is show US $899. Mia / eze R/T now

You must not use any site other than Lan or you can end up with 3 or 4 stops. Lan does fly non-stop mia / eze RT.

Lan and AA are both part of one world. Sometimes you can save 50% by buying your seat on AA equipment via Lan.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBS  [View Original Post]
    The 40 K is low season, a tremendous deal, as with 30 K to Lima, Bogota, Medellin. And for 20 K, you can use it for 1 way, too. Just have to watch the airport taxes, it can be quite different as with London ($200) compared to Paris or Madrid (at least 50 per cent less).

Just watch out for the transfer, flights often come with overnight connections. And beware of coming into LGA and leaving from JFK.

And you need to plan & book way ahead of departure. Unless, you are born lucky.
    One other thing about AA. They seemed to have blocked out the 50 K business class level. I flew this one time and was very impressed. Not Singapore Air but still pretty good. Check iflybusiness.com for deals in business class. I found one for about 3 k on UA but a long layover in San Paolo. If you're going Chicago to san Paolo it is perfect.

Very saavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston  [View Original Post]
    Ticket is $1,600.00 from Chicago on AA always. Look for deals for buying miles. There was a promotion from AA where you get a 25% discount on what you buy. I found a round trip for 40 k miles on AAdvantage. I was down to zero miles at the time so I had to buy all the miles. Even with the tax, fees and small print, I ended up paying about $900.00 for all. Same flight that they sold for $1,600.00! AA is the only one where you can fly for 40k miles but you have to be flexible. And.......after you book, if you find a better flight you can change for no cost.
    The 40 K is low season, a tremendous deal, as with 30 K to Lima, Bogota, Medellin. And for 20 K, you can use it for 1 way, too. Just have to watch the airport taxes, it can be quite different as with London ($200) compared to Paris or Madrid (at least 50 per cent less).

Just watch out for the transfer, flights often come with overnight connections. And beware of coming into LGA and leaving from JFK.

And you need to plan & book way ahead of departure. Unless, you are born lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    A lot of the price depends on where you live in the USA, and whether or not you are willing to change airplanes in Central or South America. If you live close to South Florida you have a lot more choices because of the competition. I have found that the cheapest fares are change plane fares in Panama, Columbia, or Peru. The layover is one an a half to four hours, depending on the flight and country. The West Coast is terrible for airfares because of the lack of competition, and it is not just to EZE. I have a friend who works in Asia, and lives in Peru. He travels frequently from work to home, and has found it cheaper to fly to Florida, visit his sister, and then fly to Peru, than to fly to Peru via the West Coast.

You are correct about transcon fares, but that is due primarily to the low cost airlines and competition. The Latin American airlines do do not have much competition, and hate competition.

Tres3.
    Ticket is $1,600.00 from Chicago on AA always. Look for deals for buying miles. There was a promotion from AA where you get a 25% discount on what you buy. I found a round trip for 40 k miles on AAdvantage. I was down to zero miles at the time so I had to buy all the miles. Even with the tax, fees and small print, I ended up paying about $900.00 for all. Same flight that they sold for $1,600.00! AA is the only one where you can fly for 40k miles but you have to be flexible. And.......after you book, if you find a better flight you can change for no cost.

Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Moore  [View Original Post]
    I'm looking at flying to EZE next month, and getting fare quotes of $1700 and higher. This is getting way out of hand.

Anybody know why flying to EZE from USA is so expensive?

I regularly fly coast to coast in USA for $350. At 2500 miles that's half the distance to Argentina, but only 20% of the cost.
    A lot of the price depends on where you live in the USA, and whether or not you are willing to change airplanes in Central or South America. If you live close to South Florida you have a lot more choices because of the competition. I have found that the cheapest fares are change plane fares in Panama, Columbia, or Peru. The layover is one an a half to four hours, depending on the flight and country. The West Coast is terrible for airfares because of the lack of competition, and it is not just to EZE. I have a friend who works in Asia, and lives in Peru. He travels frequently from work to home, and has found it cheaper to fly to Florida, visit his sister, and then fly to Peru, than to fly to Peru via the West Coast.

You are correct about transcon fares, but that is due primarily to the low cost airlines and competition. The Latin American airlines do do not have much competition, and hate competition.

Tres3.

Kayak

On www.kayak.com is $1141 on certain days next month.
    I forgot to mention that is from SFO.

I'm looking at flying to EZE next month, and getting fare quotes of $1700 and higher. This is getting way out of hand.

I regularly fly coast to coast in USA for $350. At 2500 miles that's half the distance to Argentina, but only 20% of the cost.

I recently booked a round trip from Miami through Carbone Travel for about $1,100. Promotional rate with limitations but nice.

Posting Limitations