Thread: Airlines

+ Submit Report
Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

They just don't get it

I talk to Argie friends of mine and they just don't get this. The National Flagged Carrier will not accept their own currency in their own capital. I could understand it if I was paying for a ticket on Aerolineas in Germany or something. But this would be like American Airlines refusing to accept dollars for a ticket a Brit was trying to purchase in Washington DC saying, "Sorry, we only accept Pounds from you." My Argie friends all say the same "You are Yankees you can afford it" or "YaY, you should use your dollars.".

Then I look at them and ask "how can your government, not allow somebody to buy something using YOUR money in YOUR country? It's like the government itself is saying "Our money is shit, we don't want it." Then they start to understand.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I had a recent experience with Aerolineas that I would not believe if it had not happened. It is small wonder that Aerolineas went bankrupt, and is once again broke. All I wanted to do was buy two tickets from BA to Iguazu and pay cash. I did not want to pay with a USA issued credit card because all the fees would guarantee that I would receive an exchange rate much less than the "Official Rate". The first thing I encountered was that Aerolineas only gave an hour from the time that the reservation was made until the time it had to be paid for. I could not get to a ticket office listed on the Aerolineas web site in less than an hour. I then discovered that going to an Aerolineas ticket office would do no good. After going to a ticket office, I was informed that the airport (in this case EZE or AEP) was the only place that I could pay cash. I took the Tienda Leon bus to AEP and found that the reservation was a two step process. First I had to make a reservation and have the ticket issued, (thank goodness I speak Spanish because the ticket agent spoke very little English) and then I had to stand in another line to pay. When I payed, I was charged $321.20 p for "miscellaneous charges" that were not disclosed on the web site or by the ticket agent. I paid and left in disgust. I suppose that I could have used a travel agent, but who is going to pay the agent's commission? USA airlines stopped paying commissions to agents many years ago. Does Aerolineas still pay a commission to Argentine agents? Quite frankly I do not care, but that is another expense (government subsidy) that Aerolineas must pay.

The DELTA office across the street from my apartment would let me buy a ticket anywhere DELTA flies for cash (pesos) paid in their office, or their web site would let me pay in the USA with a USA issued credit card, thus avoiding the fees.

Tres3.
    Last month I paid cash at the main Aerolineas Argentinas office downtown at Perú 2 for 2 tickets to Cancun. I made the reservation on their website and had 24 hours to pay. On the 1st trip to the office I tried to pretend I was a tourist, and was advised that all foreigners are required to pay in USD. I returned later that day with pesos and my DNI and was issued the receipt for the electronic tickets within a few minutes.

Go figure.

Thanks,

Jax.

Aerolinas Argentinas

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    A perfect example is Aerolneas Argentinas, the company loses more then 2.5 million dollars per day, service is lousy. Flights are regularly canceled. Most web travel sites will not even sell their tickets. But the government (which is basically bankrupt) continues to pump money into it that they don't have. Any management with half a brain would sell it off or even give it away just to stop the hemorrhaging. But we all know that will never happen.
    I had a recent experience with Aerolineas that I would not believe if it had not happened. It is small wonder that Aerolineas went bankrupt, and is once again broke. All I wanted to do was buy two tickets from BA to Iguazu and pay cash. I did not want to pay with a USA issued credit card because all the fees would guarantee that I would receive an exchange rate much less than the "Official Rate". The first thing I encountered was that Aerolineas only gave an hour from the time that the reservation was made until the time it had to be paid for. I could not get to a ticket office listed on the Aerolineas web site in less than an hour. I then discovered that going to an Aerolineas ticket office would do no good. After going to a ticket office, I was informed that the airport (in this case EZE or AEP) was the only place that I could pay cash. I took the Tienda Leon bus to AEP and found that the reservation was a two step process. First I had to make a reservation and have the ticket issued, (thank goodness I speak Spanish because the ticket agent spoke very little English) and then I had to stand in another line to pay. When I payed, I was charged $321.20 p for "miscellaneous charges" that were not disclosed on the web site or by the ticket agent. I paid and left in disgust. I suppose that I could have used a travel agent, but who is going to pay the agent's commission? USA airlines stopped paying commissions to agents many years ago. Does Aerolineas still pay a commission to Argentine agents? Quite frankly I do not care, but that is another expense (government subsidy) that Aerolineas must pay.

The DELTA office across the street from my apartment would let me buy a ticket anywhere DELTA flies for cash (pesos) paid in their office, or their web site would let me pay in the USA with a USA issued credit card, thus avoiding the fees.

Tres3.

Air Fare in Argentina

Air Fare:

If I want to fly in or out of this country and I am a citizen or a RESIDENT I pay X amount of pesos if I use the Argie Airlines or LAN.

Fair enough.

But If my traveling companion is a foreigner she May have to pay quite a bit more.

Example:

1200 p for me and 2000 p for my companion.

That's not cool!

Does it help if my companion is part of Mercosur?

Thanks,

TL.

It is cheaper for me to fly than to take a bus!

One is 13 hours and the other one is 2 hours duration!

SHIT!

The Only benefit is that it gives you 13 hours of one on one, face to face time.

American is adding new equipment for deep south america

The issues on whether to fly with two or three classes and if there is a first class cabin, how many seats, are in flux. When american has the answers, then the booking will be on the website. The new first class will use more space and need a higher ticket price. How much value is added on the difference between first and business? Are most of the first classs seat filled by passengers paying full price or are getting discounted upgrades with miles vs cash.

American is out of bankruptcy and looking to make money with the configuration of their new longer distance eqipment.

I, for one, see little value of the upgrade from business to first class on the 777's the used in the recent past. The upgrade from coach to business is huge for a 9+ hour flight, especially when paying primarily or totally with miles.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Miami Bob For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EasyGo  [View Original Post]
    I was looking for a business award in November. Good availability but only for the daytime flights from and to MIA.

You can change dates without a problem on an AA award. Just need to keep the same airports.
    Thanks, I did not know we can change dates too.

That makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Boston  [View Original Post]
    Toyster, I should have mentioned I was talking about using miles for the ticket. I was looking mid year and all business was greyed out. I did find one thing out..if you check every few days, availability does change. I also called AAdvantage and found out that if you book and something better does come available, you can change with no problem, as long as destination and dates remain the same.
    Our beloved ff miles mean almost nothing anymore. I find if you are limited on flexibility you have to start about a year out these days to have a chance. Good luck. Hope you find something.

I was looking for a business award in November. Good availability but only for the daytime flights from and to MIA.

You can change dates without a problem on an AA award. Just need to keep the same airports.

Quote Originally Posted by Troyster  [View Original Post]
    Very strange. When are you traveling? I hopped on their site and there is limited space in Feb. Not great rates. Most flights through MIA or DFW.
    Toyster, I should have mentioned I was talking about using miles for the ticket. I was looking mid year and all business was greyed out. I did find one thing out..if you check every few days, availability does change. I also called AAdvantage and found out that if you book and something better does come available, you can change with no problem, as long as destination and dates remain the same.

Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Boston  [View Original Post]
    What's going on with AA? Very hard to get a ticket coach or Bz from Chicago? NO business availability over a 4 month period and the peon section has you taking 3 flights to get there. Observations and opinions welcome.
    Very strange. When are you traveling? I hopped on their site and there is limited space in Feb. Not great rates. Most flights through MIA or DFW.

Aa

What's going on with AA? Very hard to get a ticket coach or Bz from Chicago? NO business availability over a 4 month period and the peon section has you taking 3 flights to get there. Observations and opinions welcome.

Superb BA cruise deal, $799 & up

For those sitting around BA twiddling their peckers:

13 day South America Passage, Buenos Aires to Santiago, March 4 & 17. MS Zaandam. Visiting Montevideo, Puerto Madryn, Straits of Magellan, Puerto Arenas, Ushuaia, Cape Horn, Amerlia Glacia, Chiliean Fjords, Puerto Montt, Santiango.

Just to go to Holland America Cruise Lines website, or other discount cruise agencies. Prices was of today, but don't be surprise if it has gone up when you try to book. You can wait but I don't believe they will go down any further. Cruises are generally $100 per day & up. Sales tax will be added on, and gratituties are about $10 a day. Excursions are extra, but you can choose to go on your own. Just make sure you make back to the ship on time. Generally, you can buy excursions at the port cheaper, or just negotiate with a taxi driver for a set fee or use local transportation. Holland America has a good reputation, and the food is excellent. I did this cruise a few years back.

More Bad News on Airline Mileage front

I read this article this morning. http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/...-back-benefits I am sitting here with a bank of 450,000 miles. Maybe better used sooner rather than later.

Seasonal adjustment

It could be a seasonal adjustment.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Damman For This Post:

Posting Limitations