Thread: Airlines

+ Submit Report
Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

They must have upgraded the Miami route to 777s *relatively* recently. Up to a year or so ago I used to fly that route all the time, and they were using the old 767s that must have been passed off to the relatively new Dallas route. Once the Delta/Atlanta route resumed I never took the Miami flight again.

Either way, coach is basically coach on most airlines (notable exception: Emirates). American gives you "more room" (a few inches) by drastically reducing your reclining space. Conversely, on the "less room" AirFrance777 from BA to Paris you can really recline, and if you're under 6'4 you can still strech your legs completely under the seat in front of you. I generally sleep 7-8 hours of that 13 hour flight because I'm almost laying down.

I avoid Miami if possible because its not a US hub like Dallas or Atlanta (thats the best flight <Delta> IMO). You often have to wait hours in Miami for a connection to many major US cities. Additionally, I think I read that Atlanta has more customs officials/booths than any other airport. I always breeze thru before I even wake up and catch a connection in no time flat.

PS Not that I fly coach anymore. I'm just talking from past experience

Marak5-

You are correct in that American Airlines does fly a smaller plane on the Dallas-Buenos Aires route than on the Miami-Buenos Aires flight. AA flies Boeing 767's on its flights Dallas-Buenos Aires and New York-Buenos Aires; on the Miami-Buenos Aires flight, they use the 777. Boeing 777 is superior to their 767 in every possible way- 777's have On-Demand video at every seat, even in Economy, and are larger, more comfortable, and newer than the 767's. The Boeing 777 is now the world's premier long distance aircraft and is in fact Boeing's best selling plane, and for good reason. I fly the direct AA 955 flight from JFK-EZE on a 767, it takes 10 hours, 40 minutes and its not that bad because I always get an emergency exit seat, and the two provided meals, while piss poor in quality, break up the trip into manageable periods.

Next time, get the emergency aisle seat, pop a few ambien or xanex, and pass the fuck out!

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

never to dallas again

Last time I switched my return date so they put me on the Dallas flight (AA) instead of Miami. I don't mind the Miami flight at all. After dinner and drinks are served, it's already 2.5 hours into the flight. After that I try to take a nap, even if I don't fall asleep completely, I can daze for 3 or 4 hours. At that point it's only an hour or two or left before the plane starts to descend so it's smooth sailing.

This last flight for me to Dallas was so miserable. I woke up at like 2pm Bs As time that day so there was no way I was going to sleep at all on the plane. So after dinner, I was wide awake, looking at another 8 hours with the lights out. I felt bad to be the only one in the whole section with a light on to read, so I just Sat there staring at the seat ahead of me for 8 fucking hours. 10.5 hours vs. 8 is a huge difference.

On top of that, I think the plane to Dallas is smaller. So here I am up all night, and the plane is bouncing around like a little 2 seater over the middle of South America so not only am I bored out of my mind, I'm scared shitless.

Never again.

The airport tax was either $18 US, or $55.44 pesos when I flew out a few days ago for a short trip back to the USA before returning to BA.

If you have a few pesos left over, I'd save that to buy drinks and / or sandwiches at the little counter stand they have inside the gate areas while you wait for your flight. (although the food stand takes US dollars as well)

Airport tax $US and pesos

You can pay the airport exit tax with a combination on $US and pesos at a fair rate with no fuss. So you can use up the last of your pesos as you leave the land of the loose and Latin.

Varig

I had an experience that was so bad it pains me to even recount it. It was off the charts. This happened last year, and there was some kind of labor dispute. The staff deliberately delayed my flight from Rio to SP for several hours and caused me to miss my connecting flight to the States. No one in SP to greet me. It was just incredible.

There was a businessman on that flight who had flown Varig many times and his wife kept warning him not to do it. Believe me, he swore them off after that.

Imagine sitting on the runway for a couple of hours with no air conditioning and NOBODY will tell you ANYTHING.

At least I got off in SP (though my baggage got lost) Guy sitting next to me took it threw to Miami and it got even worse. He tried to get off the plane but US Gestapo prevented him. Quite nightmarish.

So fly Varig at your own risk. You may never have a problem, but if you do, don't say I didn't warn you.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantisLove
    Why? I've noticed that business class on the non-US airlines is a lot less expensive than business class on the US airlines. And since the overnight flight in coach is a real killer for me I've been thinking of looking into them.

What was your (apparently bad) experience on Varig?

Thanks, Bob
    I flew Varig from Brazil to BA on my first trip here. They wouldn't let you use a CD player or any MP3 players at that time. Seemed totally assanine to me, but that were the rules.

Some foreign airlines are great. I had a decent trip on LAN in Biz Class to Peru a couple of months ago, for less than $1k.

I'd check on www.flyertalk.com for reports on different airlines, so you don't get stuck with something substandard.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadGames
    I would rather ride the bus all the way there than fly Varig again.
    Why? I've noticed that business class on the non-US airlines is a lot less expensive than business class on the US airlines. And since the overnight flight in coach is a real killer for me I've been thinking of looking into them.

What was your (apparently bad) experience on Varig?

Thanks, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Strad
    From Jan. 17th up till end of Feb. 23, you are lucky if you are from New York area. Varig can fly you from NY to BA for $666 with everthing included. I hope this info will be useful!

Thanks!

Strad
    I would rather ride the bus all the way there than fly Varig again.

Just make sure you check the stopovers, and routing of any trip you take. I'm in the middle of a LAX-EZE trip that cost me $389 plus tax, but you have to leave LAX after midnight, and then return from EZE at 4am.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont Too
    It seems as though a couple of other airlines are matching that price. At least when I type in from ord to eze (I'm assuming this would work from anywhere) on yahoo travel with flexible days, that price comes up through march on a couple airlines. Usually not many dates work for me when I'm doing flexible, but it seemed to have many days available at this price through march.

From JFK to EZE $666 tax included!

From Jan. 17th up till end of Feb. 23, you are lucky if you are from New York area. Varig can fly you from NY to BA for $666 with everthing included. I hope this info will be useful!

Thanks!

Strad

Last Minute Deals $499 -- Buenos Aires

Try this link.

http://vacations.travelzoo.com/europ...cations/221194

Hope someone can enjoy!

Bonus miles

Don't forget to rgister for the 5,000 bonus miles. Reg at botom of pricing!

Belmont Too

Continental Sale To BA

Posting Limitations