Thread: Airlines

+ Submit Report
Page 61 of 65 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Skyauction. Com does it work?

If you are tired of searching Expedia or specific airlines and punching in locations and dates like I was, then another possible option might be skyauction. Com. I recently bid and won a rount trip ticket form NYC to Buenos Aires for 605 US Dollars. I thought that was a pretty decent price because the airlines are charging around 900 US dollars from NYC these days. Although I happen to be a very skeptical person I am starting to believe I will get the tickets because they confirmed travel dates and gave me a ups tracking number. I will keep you informed and let everyone know how my SkyAcution experince ended.

Looks like about $320 for RT LIM-EZE on LAN. Not bad for a 4 hour or so flight. It's too bad Gol doesn't fly there, or it would be half the price.

I didn't find anything cheaper, although I will say that many low price carriers aren't easily found on the internet. Direct is nice sometimes.

Got my award ticket on United!

After weeks of trying, hours online, and numerous phone calls, finally I got my business class award ticket on United! And it’s not through any hidden SA city either, direct to EZE via IAD on the way down and ORD coming back. The catch, it is not until Jan 06. I probably will have 3 paid trips between now and this freebie. I’m staying at Sheraton Libartador next week for the first time. If I like the hotel, I’ll use my Starwood Points again for a free room there. Now only if I can find some free p***ies would make this an ultimate trip.

I just got a super deal on a roundtrip Lima-BA-Lima for under $300 including Peruvian taxes (around 20%). Go to the LAN site and check it out. But purchase in the States, on the net, not in S.A. and avoid the local taxes.

http://www.lan.com/index.html

Better check with an expert (there are some on the forum)...like Jaimito, because it looks to me like a one way costs more than round trip. Good luck.

Thumbs up

David thanks.

What could be the approximative cost of a one way ticket ?

LAN to Lima

Guys

What are the choices to flight directly from BA to Lima or Bogota ?

Thanks.

I don't understand why you would "have to" drop anyone off at the airport but that is plenty of time to take the MTL bus back downtown, monger for a while, and get back. San Martín 793 3A is open Sundays, for example, and that is right across from Orleans, and both are very close to the MTL station. The MTL takes about ten fewer minutes on a Sunday as compared to Monday through Friday.

airport area

I have to drop somebody off at airport for 4:00 pm flight. Mine does not leave until 9:30 pm.

Anybody have any suggestions on where I could go to monger near airport on a Sunday to kill the time???

Thanks in advance

Southern Winds

No gringo premium, hot hot hot flight attendants and by buying a ticket you can also support the international drug trade.

http://www.fly-sw.com/en/home.jsp

Air from ba to mendoza

Is aerolinas the only carrier now? I don't want to take the bus. I don't like the aeolinas non-argentine national's higher tiicket prices. Is there another choice? I'll be traveling in July, 2005.

Please don't

Please don't string an itin from larado to bsas on everyone of these carriers. I can see it allready "but daddy I can save $14.00 if I fly laredo-ixtapa-df-managua-san jose-david-bogota-cuzco-la paz-corrientos-rosario-jorge newberry and it's only on 9 different carriers and took 4 days.

I can see your face in baggage service. "what do you mean my bag is in samoa?"

Post New discount latin america airlines - wsj article

Discount airlines

hit latin america

as travelers flock to region,

cheap options proliferate;

rio to são paulo: $20

by amy chozick

staff reporter of the wall street journal

June 8, 2005; page d1

the discount-airline craze that has transformed travel in the u. S., europe and asia, is starting to take off in latin america.

Until recently, travelers covering long distances in countries like brazil, mexico, and peru had either to take expensive full-fare flights -- often offered only by small charter carriers -- or else hop aboard a bone-jarring long-distance bus. However, a fast-growing class of discount airlines is starting to establish itself as an alternative. In the past year or so, at least four budget airlines have started offering service or have added cross-border flights serving not only major cities but tourist spots as well. Modeled on discounters like ireland's ryanair and u. S.-based southwest airlines, the upstart latin carriers are offering fares as low as $20 between são paulo and rio de janeiro. In some cases, promotional one-way teaser fares have been less than a dollar.

Several new carriers are about to join the fray. In July, mexicana, mexico's leading international carrier, plans to launch click, a budget airline that will offer domestic routes from mexico city to popular but tough-to-reach beach towns like ixtapa on the west coast and puerto escondido, a onetime surfing hot spot now popular among nonsurfers drawn by its pristine beaches. Click also will take over mexicana's routes to popular caribbean spots such as cancún and playa del carmen, and is expected to apply discount-airline pricing formulas to them.

In December, brazilian startup gol linhas aéreas inteligentes sa launched service to buenos aires from são paulo with promotional fares starting around $167 (the lowest fare the brazilian government would permit at the time) each way, compared with $300 or so on the country's major carriers. This month, the no-frills airline -- expect cold snacks and economy seats -- will begin flights to santa cruz, bolivia, and also says it plans to add service to the capitals of uruguay and paraguay in the next few months.

The new airline competition corresponds with a surge in tourism to the region. With the the euro still strong against the dollar, u. S. Citizens are flocking south. While the u. S. Dollar has decreased by about 10% against the euro over the past two years, it has gained 7% against the mexican peso. In nicaragua, the dollar has been so strong against the córdoba that a night in a luxury hotel currently goes for about $15 to $25.

The relative bargains are driving up travel. International arrivals to central america are growing by nearly 11% a year, according to a study last year by the world trade organization. Tourism to belize has increased by 50% over the past five years, primarily due to new interest among cruise lines. Peru expects more than a million tourists this year and two million annually by 2010.

Flights to salvador, brazil, on gol's nighttime service -- nicknamed corujoes, or 'owls' -- are as low as $65 one way.

The carriers can offer substantial savings and convenience for travelers who know what to look for. Nature air in costa rica is serving new destinations like drake bay, a wilderness resort town on the beach that used to require a six-hour drive and two-hour boat ride to reach from san josé. (flight time: 40 minutes.) tikal jets has made it easier to reach guatemala's famed tikal ruins for $99 each way.

Air travel in the region has a reputation for being rough around the edges: lengthy delays are commonplace, and government oversight in the past tended to keep prices sky-high, until a recent wave of deregulation. While traveling on the discounters May be cost-effective, it can cause headaches for vacationers unfamiliar with the region. Some carriers use major airports, but others fly into out-of-the-way landing strips with little or no infrastructure. Costa rica's nature air, for instance, uses an old sandinista airstrip on its route between san josé and granada, nicaragua. Some little airports May make announcements only in spanish or portuguese. And on gol, the most affordable flights are offered as part of its night service. Nicknamed corujões (or "owls" in portuguese), these flights operate between 1 a. M. And 5 a. M.

The budget-airline movement in latin america comes at a time when discount carriers are dramatically reshaping the airline industry around the world. In the u. S., discounter southwest airlines has become one of the fastest-growing domestic carriers, expanding in recent years into nonstop transcontinental routes.

In europe, traditional airlines have lost market share to budget carriers such as ryanair and easyjet. Last month, iberia, spain's largest airline, announced that it would consider buying or creating a low-cost carrier of its own. In asia, competition among discounters is so heated that flights on popular routes such as hong kong to singapore have sunk as low as $25 each way.

The expansion of discounters in south america is happening as aviation officials are making it easier for carriers to add flights across borders. In May, regulators in peru and brazil signed an agreement to allow 28 flights a week between the two countries, more than triple the current quota of eight flights a week. A new peruvian airline, wayra peru, is expected to enter the market as early as this month, serving 12 peruvian cities including cuzco, the town closest to the machu picchu ruins.

The new airlines are primarily targeting the millions of middle- and lower-middle class latin americans fed up with shelling out for bumpy, cramped 10-hour-plus bus rides between cities -- trips that can cost as much as $75 to $100 on some routes.

However, the new airlines are aimed at foreign tourists as well. U. S.-based travelers can buy tickets on these carriers' own web sites, which typically have english options and allow bookings with major credit cards. Some of the airlines offer hotel and car-rental packages aimed at tourists. Tikal jets offers discounts at the radisson and grand tikal futura hotels in guatemala city when tickets are bought through the carrier's web site.

Almost none of these carriers is listed on the big online travel agencies like travelocity or orbitz.

Mexicana's click plans to offer code-share agreements with several carriers from abroad that will allow international travelers to transfer to click flights. Click says its site, clickmexicana. Com, will have an english option when it is launched in July.

Airlines remain a relative luxury in south america. According to avgroup inc., a miami-based aviation consultant, fewer than 10% of the 500 million people in latin america and the caribbean travel by air.

Brazil's gol airline -- named after the portuguese word for "goal" in soccer -- was founded by the family that controls the country's biggest bus-travel company. It was launched in 2001 with just six planes traveling to seven destinations within brazil. It now has 32 planes and flies to 40 airports.

Some carriers use smaller planes in their fleets. Nature air's aircraft are mostly 19-seat twin-engine planes. Tikal jets operates dc-9s, and gol uses boeing 737-700s. Civil-aviation authorities in south america require the budget airlines to meet the same aviation standards as established carriers.

Like many of the new discounters, nature air offers online booking and special web-only discounts on its web site, www.natureair.com. Tikal Jets, Guatemala's national carrier, doesn't consider itself a low-cost carrier, but nevertheless it's targeting the low-fare end of the market as it expands. The airline, which also serves destinations in Belize and Cuba, offers special hotel/airfare package deals on its Web site, tikaljets.com.

Gol's Web site, www.voegol.com, has listed low-cost teaser fares in an effort to build buzz. For instance, some special fares between rio and são paulo have been listed as low as $20 each way, not including taxes or fees, compared with $160 or so, round trip, on major carriers. The airline currently accepts only american express for online international purchases, and u. S. Travelers can't print electronic tickets.

Gol's night-owl fares sometimes even undercut the price of bus tickets. For instance, a four-hour night flight from rio to the popular tourist city of salvador starts at $65 each way. By comparison, a first-class bus trip (which takes about 24 hours) would cost about $70 each wa

Daddy Rulz,
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    04 Jul 855 ORD-EZE/ 05 Jul 847 EZE-MVD/ 05 Jul MVD-EZE then some undetermined amount of time in BsAs say until 19 Jul 854 EZE-ORD.
    Yes, this is the type of itinerary I had in mind. I am still debating because the “outbound” trip is very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    But AC flying ORD-YYZ-EZE would. This would limit you to Y class and might be a SHITLOAD of miles but is worth investigating.
    I was offered AC flight to EZE via YYZ with a stop in Santiago, Chile. This flight arrives EZE around 2 pm. The return flight leaves EZE in the morning with a long layover in Santiago before leaving for YYZ in the evening. I could have gotten business class for the outbound flight only, but with coach for the return trip. However, the cost still would have been 80K miles even though I am getting busniess class for the outbound flight only.

Thanks for the feedback, I will continue to investigate ways to cash in my miles to the paradise!!! In the meantime, I just have to pay for it.

Sportsman

No, I have never sold my passes nor do I expect to start. However I do know that some people do.

Posting Limitations