Thread: Tourist Visa Information

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    If you paid the "reciprocity fee" under the old system, the Argies stuck a receipt on one page of your passport. The "fee" is good for 10 years from the date you paid it, so your USA passport will expire before the "fee" does. I have not come across anyone that this happened to, so I am just guessing when I say that if you show them both passports, they will not make you pay the "fee" again. HOWEVER, this is Argentina, so who knows what the authorities will do.

Tres3
    You need to retain both passports, thats all. The "visa" is good for ten years whether or not the passpaort has expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye  [View Original Post]
    Standing in the line to pay a tax to get out of a country. If they could charge you a disposal / dumping fee each time you dropped a deuce, in country, they would.

Dave: The methods of payment just changed at the end of 2012. The Argies make a point of clarifying that the $160 isn't for a visa, since they don't require American tourists to have a visa. Rather, it is a "reciprocity" fee because that is what it costs Argies to come to America.

I wonder, now that they do not have the pay-upon-arrival option, what do they do with people who arrive without the online printout? I can't imagine that they stick you on the next flight back to where you came from. However, given that it is Argentina, I would expect that whatever the process is, it is arbitrary, inconsistent and time-consuming.
    I saw it happen numerous times while waiting the horrifically long immigration line. People would get to the window, be told they had to pay the fee and then sent somewhere to pay it. Of course that also meant you had to wait all over again although I saw some cases where one person waited and the other went to pay the fee.

Do Not Forget USA Passport Expiration

If you paid the "reciprocity fee" under the old system, the Argies stuck a receipt on one page of your passport. The "fee" is good for 10 years from the date you paid it, so your USA passport will expire before the "fee" does. I have not come across anyone that this happened to, so I am just guessing when I say that if you show them both passports, they will not make you pay the "fee" again. HOWEVER, this is Argentina, so who knows what the authorities will do.

Tres3

I always had to chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    The Airport fee paid when leaving, this is now included in the ticket price.

First thing to remember about Argentina in case this is your first visit, I'm assuming so because of your low post count, nothing is simple or logical.
    Standing in the line to pay a tax to get out of a country. If they could charge you a disposal / dumping fee each time you dropped a deuce, in country, they would.

Dave: The methods of payment just changed at the end of 2012. The Argies make a point of clarifying that the $160 isn't for a visa, since they don't require American tourists to have a visa. Rather, it is a "reciprocity" fee because that is what it costs Argies to come to America.

I wonder, now that they do not have the pay-upon-arrival option, what do they do with people who arrive without the online printout? I can't imagine that they stick you on the next flight back to where you came from. However, given that it is Argentina, I would expect that whatever the process is, it is arbitrary, inconsistent and time-consuming.

Not to be confused with

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman  [View Original Post]
    The Reciprocity Fee is not included in the ticket price. You must pay it online ahead of time. BTW, this fee only applies to US, Canadian, and Australian citizens. Here is the info:

http://embassyofargentina.us/embassy...ction/news.htm

#entry.
    The Airport fee paid when leaving, this is now included in the ticket price.

First thing to remember about Argentina in case this is your first visit, I'm assuming so because of your low post count, nothing is simple or logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Davenyc  [View Original Post]
    I'm glad I asked! I'll call the airline too, maybe its included in the cost of the flight? I was actually more concerned with the connection in Chile, do I need a visa or is it ok because I'm just passing through?
    The Reciprocity Fee is not included in the ticket price. You must pay it online ahead of time. BTW, this fee only applies to US, Canadian, and Australian citizens. Here is the info: http://embassyofargentina.us/embassy...ction/news.htm#entry.

Quote Originally Posted by SunSeeker  [View Original Post]
    If you don't already have a valid visa you can no longer pay upon arrival at the eze or aep airports. You need to pay the fee online BEFORE you fly. The link is somewhere on this board,
    I'm glad I asked! I'll call the airline too, maybe its included in the cost of the flight? I was actually more concerned with the connection in Chile, do I need a visa or is it ok because I'm just passing through?

Quote Originally Posted by Davenyc  [View Original Post]
    I'm going NY, Toronto, Chile, EZE on the 20th, do I need anything special or is my passport enough? I'm assuming the fee is still $160 to enter? Thanks.
    If you don't already have a valid visa you can no longer pay upon arrival at the eze or aep airports. You need to pay the fee online BEFORE you fly. The link is somewhere on this board,

Connections

I'm going NY, Toronto, Chile, EZE on the 20th, do I need anything special or is my passport enough? I'm assuming the fee is still $160 to enter? Thanks.

Fee only EZE and AEP

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I came from Sao Paulo via AEP. They have the reciprocity fee at this airport also. I went from Foz do Iguacu to the Argentine side of the falls via car before coming to BA, and they did not collect the fee.

Tres
    From what I know at this day and time, the fee is only collected at EZE and AEP (International Flights)

Fred

Reciprocity Fee

Quote Originally Posted by PassherBy  [View Original Post]
    Some countries in the region, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, require Americans to have visas to enter the country. Others, Argentina, Chile, have a "reciprocity fee". It's not a visa, just something to be annoying to Americans in reciprocity for our terrible immigration process. At least as of recently (things change all the time in Argentina) , you only pay it entering through EZE. Any other border crossing won't require it. I've entered through four different border crossings included the buquebus from Uruguay, and they only checked it at EZE.
    I came from Sao Paulo via AEP. They have the reciprocity fee at this airport also. I went from Foz do Iguacu to the Argentine side of the falls via car before coming to BA, and they did not collect the fee.

Tres

It's a reciprocity fee

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Gold  [View Original Post]
    Visiting Argentina via a method other than plane- is there a way to avoid the visa fee and get one at the border?
    Some countries in the region, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, require Americans to have visas to enter the country. Others, Argentina, Chile, have a "reciprocity fee". It's not a visa, just something to be annoying to Americans in reciprocity for our terrible immigration process. At least as of recently (things change all the time in Argentina) , you only pay it entering through EZE. Any other border crossing won't require it. I've entered through four different border crossings included the buquebus from Uruguay, and they only checked it at EZE.

I am having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Gold  [View Original Post]
    Visiting Argentina via a method other than plane- is there a way to avoid the visa fee and get one at the border?
    I have 3 passports with 3 different names!

Italian, Spanish and Argentine!

My best friend is the head of immigration in Argentina!

He is an immigration Boy!

TL

God knows I need more than 1 name!

Just ask Interpol!

Visiting via bus or boat or via Paraguay? Visa cost the same?

Thanks

Thanks Fred and Gato Hunter. I also uncovered this on the US Embassy website right after I posted my query. It's nice it covers for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    It was raised to $160USD for US Passport holders because the US charges $160 for an Argentine to get a US Visa. If you have any passport other than US, Canada or Australia you most probably won't have to pay the VISA. So keep that in mind if you are

Posting Limitations