Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 137 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Questner  [View Original Post]
    I beg your pardon? Things change, however for me this was the cheapest way to transact from foreign currency account outside of the country into ARS. I don't have local bank account, nor do I use local debit card or carry a lot of cash. You may help the discourse by providing full detailed explanation to your post, supported by numbers.
    To begin whith a lot of places give 10 to 20 % discount for cash. Plus changing dollars for pesos has a better exchange rate then the banks give you on your card. With the return of a corrupt goverment in a month this will become even more in favor of cash is king.

Credit Cards

A lot of places charge extra for using your credit card.

Cash is the best.

I guess you have not traveled much?

I beg your pardon? Things change, however for me this was the cheapest way to transact from foreign currency account outside of the country into ARS. I don't have local bank account, nor do I use local debit card or carry a lot of cash. You may help the discourse by providing full detailed explanation to your post, supported by numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    Are you crazy, or do you just like to give money away?

Tres3.

Credit Card

Paid in every place I could with a credit card. Take an ID with you, input your PIN, and sign a receipt. Saves a lot over ATM withdrawals with their limits and fees. Cash exchange rates are very poor. They prohibit you from taking pictures of the exchange rates. So, I tell them, here I am writing them over a piece of paper, take a picture and send. Prices at stores sometimes are different depending on how you pay, in cash or by a card.
    Are you crazy, or do you just like to give money away?

Tres3.

Today Exchanged $1 at 65 AR Pesos

At Florida the best deal I got today was 65 AR Pesos to the US$ The forum front page lists today's blue rate at 76.25, I didn't find anything near that. Most where offering between 59 and 65.

Blue Rate

Quote Originally Posted by SanMichele  [View Original Post]
    Trying to plan a visit. Whats the blue rate? Any recommended places for the exchange that are reliable.

There was a shop vis--vis recoleta, inside the store next to ice cream shop that was good. Thanks.
    On the front page of the Argentina Private section look to the far right and scroll down a little ways. You will find the Blue Rate in the Exchange section. Changes every day.

Blue Rate

Trying to plan a visit. What’s the blue rate? Any recommended places for the exchange that are reliable.

There was a shop vis-à-vis recoleta, inside the store next to ice cream shop that was good. Thanks.

Paid in every place I could with a credit card. Take an ID with you, input your PIN, and sign a receipt. Saves a lot over ATM withdrawals with their limits and fees. Cash exchange rates are very poor. They prohibit you from taking pictures of the exchange rates. So, I tell them, here I am writing them over a piece of paper, take a picture and send. Prices at stores sometimes are different depending on how you pay, in cash or by a card.

Thanks for the info, Gentlemen.

Exchanging currency

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic  [View Original Post]
    I haven't been to BA in a few years, but am returning in a few weeks. For the best exchange rate, is it still best to bring USD cash (new $100s) and exchange on Calle Florida or are the banks (via ATM) better these days? What kind of rates are you seeing? Can you recommend any specific locations? Thank you in advance.
    When I was in BA a month ago the ATM exchange rate was about the same as the rate exchange houses pay for cash. I received 39, 38, and 37 pesos per dollar for $100 bills in September and October. As others have written, the advantage of exchanging cash over using ATMs is that Argentine ATM machines charge excessive fees that your debit card may not refund, and ATMs severely limit the amount you can withdraw per transaction (less than $200 worth of pesos last time I used one).

There are several new professional exchange houses along Calle Florida. Most show their exchange rates in the window, and they are probably all honest. Walk a couple blocks up Florida from the Plaza San Martin end and the rates get better. If you use one make sure they don't charge a commission on the exchange.

I have patronized an old shop in Galaria Colon on the 300 block of Florida for the past 10 years. His rates are competitive and I've never been shortchanged or received a bad bill there. The shop is on the right at the end of a long hallway that has a cafe with a lighted sign reading "BAR" at the very end. There is a sign above the entrance that reads "Local 92", I think.

There is a new exchange shop with a lighted sign in the window across the hallway from the guy I use. They offered about half a peso more than my shop last time I was there, but they require an original passport to make the exchange, and I don't carry my passport with me when I'm walking around the city.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gringo Verde For This Post:

ATM Fees

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob  [View Original Post]
    If you don't have fees from the ATM, I would do ATM. Otherwise the ATM fees seem very high to me. I don't see a big difference in the rate unless you're changing thousands of dollars

If you have a Schwab ATM card you avoid both the ATM fees and the foreign currency conversion fee. The foreign currency conversion fee varies by currency, and from bank to bank, and is usually buried (hidden) on the bank statement. Schwab rebates the ATM fee, and does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee.

Tres3.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tres3 For This Post:

Winner 2017 Noob of the year

If you don't have fees from the ATM, I would do ATM. Otherwise the ATM fees seem very high to me. I don't see a big difference in the rate unless you're changing thousands of dollars

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic  [View Original Post]
    I haven't been to BA in a few years, but am returning in a few weeks. For the best exchange rate, is it still best to bring USD cash (new $100s) and exchange on Calle Florida or are the banks (via ATM) better these days? What kind of rates are you seeing? Can you recommend any specific locations? Thank you in advance.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Bob For This Post:

Currency exchange

Winner 2017 Noob of the year

I am paying 1000 pesos to bang nice looking chicas. And I can eat a regular meal with a beer in a café for 200 pesos. I was paying roughly the same a year ago, or there has been a moderate increase maybe 20%. So from what I can see, dollar prices are often about half what they were a year ago. The peso prices increase due to inflation, for food and pussy at least, not the change in the dollar exchange rate. Or possibly at some point inflation will catch up with the drop in the pesos versus the dollar, however so far they are not and I find myself paying 50% less.

Quote Originally Posted by BayBoy  [View Original Post]
    I see the exchange rate is now 30 pesos to the dollar. Do things seem cheaper??
    I see many things here have increased by as much as %50 in the past six months. Cheaper??? Not really.

Posting Limitations