Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 137 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Our experience changing money in BA

Just came back from BA and this is our experience.

As you know, there are 3 exchange rates in Argentina. The Official Govt rate (bad), the Bank rate, and the black market Blue rate.

At the time of our visit (Jan 2023), the bank rate was about 183 pesos to USD$1. This is the rate that banks will exchange money with you for and also the rate that most cambio (money changers) will do it for.

The blue rate at that time was around 365-380 pesos for $USD1. The blue rate is available from merchant stores. But not all merchant stores will exchange money. The one we went to at the recommendation of our tour guide was called Guns Leather at Calle Florida 658. Its just a regular leather store selling jackets, belts, wallets, etc. But they will exchange money for you at the Blue rate. Its important to bring USD$100 bills to exchange. The rate is about 10-20 pesos less if use smaller denominations like $50 or $20s bills. You can call them before hand to ask for the exchange rate. They did not speak English that well but they can understand you. I picked up a leather wallet and belt while I was there too. The quality is quite good.

Also, you might want to check with the front desk of your hotel. If you stay at a non 5 star big chain hotel, then the front desk clerk usually has a side gig going on to sell blue rate pesos. Our hotel clerk gave us a blue rate of 340 pesos for $1 USD and that was about 30 pesos less then the published blue rate on the first day we arrived at the hotel. I figured he knew we needed pesos for walking around money and gouge us a little on it. We bought it from him considering the alternative was less then half of that if we went to a cambio. On the second to last day of our check out, we bought from the same clerk at a much higher rate of 370. He probably figured out we knew where to get the blue rate now and did not try to gouge us.

The blue rate is available on the nightly news. Or check out this website https://www.ambito.com/contenidos/dolar.html..

Good luck and good hunting in Buenos Aires.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun08  [View Original Post]
    A new rule about bringing US Dollar to Argentina.

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/econ...ive-rate.phtml
    Some more of the same, but this time for debit and credit cards issued outside Argentina.

Covid travel insurance requirement to enter Argentina

Only because I was unable to open up a new thread ..... I'll ask here. Can anyone please recommend an insurance company offering reasonable, short-term Covid-19 health coverage?

After much time wasted on the internet searching, I don't see any good options. In reality, I just need Covid / SARS-CoV-2 variants health coverage to enter the country. And for just for 19 days. It seems that most health coverage options require longer term commitments and try to bundle in all types of useless coverage.

I am double vaxxed yet still contracted Covid (delta variant) last year. But this is the game being played to gain entry and so play it I must.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG75  [View Original Post]
    Don't get rip off exchange with those cambio. Western Union give the best rate, 209 today, plus it is safe & secure.
    How long in advance should I initiate the transfer? Should I do it a day before I leave? Also I read that you should only attempt to transfer US 300/400 at a time. A $1000 is too much for them to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlitaFitness  [View Original Post]
    Like many already said here, the official rates are almost half than the unofficial (80 to 160 to round up). So I would not recomend using ATMs or similar methods unless you stay in an insecure place.

Avoid dressing like a tourist, speaking outloud or taking pics everywhere and youll be fine.

There are tons of "arbolitos" (little trees) which are men shouting "cambiooo" (exchange) in avenida corrientes. If you have a local contact thatll be perfect so they dont take advantage, but in any case those "arbolitos" will take you to an office and should respect the "blue" price of your money.

Apparently borders will be closed in about a couple of weeks, but nothing is being confirmed yet.
    Don't get rip off exchange with those cambio. Western Union give the best rate, 209 today, plus it is safe & secure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveG75 For This Post:

Money Exchange

A new rule about bringing US Dollar to Argentina.

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/econ...ive-rate.phtml

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sun08 For This Post:

I am new here and planning to visit Argentina soon .

Like many already said here, the official rates are almost half than the unofficial (80 to 160 to round up). So I would not recomend using ATMīs or similar methods unless you stay in an insecure place.

Avoid dressing like a tourist, speaking outloud or taking pics everywhere and youīll be fine.

There are tons of "arbolitos" (little trees) which are men shouting "cambiooo" (exchange) in avenida corrientes. If you have a local contact thatīll be perfect so they donīt take advantage, but in any case those "arbolitos" will take you to an office and should respect the "blue" price of your money.

Apparently borders will be closed in about a couple of weeks, but nothing is being confirmed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMorgan  [View Original Post]
    For W.W.....the way we do it here is by Western Union. WU transfers are done close to the Blue Dollar rate. The best way is having someone in the U.S. Send the money to you here. I have no luck just accessing my bank account in the U.S. and doing it myself. Someone sends me the money by physically going to WU in the states once a month. I physically pick up the money here...in pesos. It really works well. And you keep a minimum here in reserve...and.....then....you will NEVER be using your debit card or credit card in Argentina. You will be living a cash life.
    All true except the Western Union rate follows the Contado con Liquidacion, not the Blue Dollar. They are often pretty close though. You can also use your USA debit card to send money via WU. There is a fee doing it that way, but if you don't have someone helping in the states its an easy method. I sent $400US via WU early yesterday morning and picked up$49,000+pesos at WU within an hour.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

Money transfer

For W.W.....the way we do it here is by Western Union. WU transfers are done close to the Blue Dollar rate. The best way is having someone in the U.S. Send the money to you here. I have no luck just accessing my bank account in the U.S. and doing it myself. Someone sends me the money by physically going to WU in the states once a month. I physically pick up the money here...in pesos. It really works well. And you keep a minimum here in reserve...and.....then....you will NEVER be using your debit card or credit card in Argentina. You will be living a cash life.

Exchanging currency

Quote Originally Posted by WildWalleye  [View Original Post]
    Keep that cash in a US bank and draw it as needed via an ATM card.
    The only issue with that is I get the official rate. By bringing cash I get the blue rate, which is at least a third more.

Any idea when travel to Argentina will be opened?

Having withdrawl symptoms .

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman  [View Original Post]
    I have a question: if you bring more than $10,000 into Argentina and declare it what are the issues. Will Argentina tax the money? Will they track the money so it will be difficult to exchange at the blue rate on Florida Ave? Any other issues I am not thinking of.

Exchanging currency

Keep all of your money in dollars until the moment before you plan to spend it.
    I have a question: if you bring more than $10,000 into Argentina and declare it what are the issues. Will Argentina tax the money? Will they track the money so it will be difficult to exchange at the blue rate on Florida Ave? Any other issues I am not thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrell  [View Original Post]
    Seriously considering moving to BA in early 2021. I just want to make sure about some stupid questions I have. What would be the problem with taking a monthly ferry to Montevideo and taking out $1500-$2000 out of the bank in USD. Then taking it back to BA and exchanging it at a Cambio for pesos.Then deposit the pesos in an Argentine bank account. With the present rate being 72 official/132 blue, the 70+% spread makes the monthly trip worth it.

But it sounds too good to be true. Why doesnt everyone do it? Hell, why dont the Cambios do it? Please burst my bubble and tell me the reality of my plan before I get my hopes up too high. Or hell....maybe one of you guys can try it, in which case, youre welcome. .
    Keep all of your money in dollars until the moment before you plan to spend it.

Posting Limitations