Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 6 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    I got 19 on Calle Florida a couple hours ago, which I'm happy with since the official is at 18.66 right now tumbling down from a high of about 19.1 on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire  [View Original Post]
    I got 18.6 on Calle Florida today. There used to be some Brasilian's up by Plaza San Martin that I traded with, but they must no longer be there. Huge line of gringos at the currency exchange going for 18.4. Saved more on time than on money.
    I received 19 for $1000 on Florida Friday 1/5. At 5 pm. On the next day I was offered 19.1 for $1000 by another tout on Florida but did not need to exchange.

Calle Florida

I got 18.6 on Calle Florida today. There used to be some Brasilian's up by Plaza San Martin that I traded with, but they must no longer be there. Huge line of gringos at the currency exchange going for 18.4. Saved more on time than on money.

Quote Originally Posted by JimMac  [View Original Post]
    Can anyone give me locations of any good, safe cuevas in Palermo? Any within a 20 minute walk of Plaza Italia would be ideal. Would appreciate BM's help on this.
    Very close to Plaza Italia:

Thames 2426.

It is a Western Union / Cueva ran by very nice Columbian guys.

Never had a problem there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diegoccs For This Post:

Cuevas in Palermo?

Can anyone give me locations of any good, safe cuevas in Palermo? Any within a 20 minute walk of Plaza Italia would be ideal. Would appreciate BM's help on this.

I would still bring cash to Buenos Aires.

I get my ATM fees reimbursed by Schwab so from the ATMs I am getting 17.20 ARS to the USD. If I did not get my ATM fees reimbursed it would be 15.83. ATM fees are extremely high. From the cambio yesterday, I received 17.80.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Boss Man For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoach  [View Original Post]
    Surely you mean 17.8 ?
    You are correct. 17.8 pesos to the dollar. Thanks.

G. V.

Quote Originally Posted by GringoVerde  [View Original Post]
    Yesterday I got 7.8 pesos to the dollar for 4 $100 bills at the exchange shop in Galaria Colon on the 300 block of Florida. He gave me the same rate last Thursday. That's about 50 centavos more per dollar than the bank rate right now, or less than a 3 percent advantage.

G.V.
    Surely you mean 17.8 ?

Exchanging currency

Yesterday I got 7.8 pesos to the dollar for 4 $100 bills at the exchange shop in Galaria Colon on the 300 block of Florida. He gave me the same rate last Thursday. That's about 50 centavos more per dollar than the bank rate right now, or less than a 3 percent advantage.

G.V.

Winner 2017 Noob of the year

Changed money at the bank today (Piano Bank). You have to get a number, from a machine, I think the selection on the machine was comprar/venda de dinero extranero or something like that. It prints out a slip with your number. Then you wait there are monitors that tell you when your number is ready to be served. When your number is up you go to the cashier and show your passport and they change the money. I got about 17.3 pesos to the dollar. Maybe I was in the bank for 30 minutes. It was only 5 minute walk from my apartment so better than taking the subte to Florida.

Are we using ATMs again?

It looks like the Dollar official exchange is higher than the dollar blue. Are people still bringing cash or is the ATM being used now. I have the Schwab card with no transaction fees. I am arriving after Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilkey  [View Original Post]
    I thought 2,000 was the limit too. They must have upped it.
    The last time I checked, the limit was 2,400 per transaction with a limit of two transactions, so 4,800 per day. It might be higher now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore  [View Original Post]
    Today I pulled 4,000 pesos (2,000 back to back) from a Santander Rio machine. I always assumed the 2,000 was a daily limit but obviously not.
    I thought 2,000 was the limit too. They must have upped it.

Two cambios microcentro

Lavalle 835 # 15.

This is a souveneir shop in a mall.

Paraguay 640 # 115.

Located in galleria del sol.

Both of these places are safe and will give you decent rates.

I have used both several times in the past few years with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky2  [View Original Post]
    Does anyone know if ATM's in Chile give a US dollar option as available in Uruguay?
    I dont know if dollars are available from ATM's in Chile but dollars are readily available. I even remember seeing the corner kioskos selling dollars.

Posting Limitations