Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 7 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 107 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Chile

Does anyone know if ATM's in Chile give a US dollar option as available in Uruguay?

Do not worry

My suggestion is to ask your hotel the closest money exchange location. Rate differences are insignificant unless you are exchanging big sums of cash.

Also remember to use big bills as they get a higher rate than smaller bills.

Atms are plentiful and usually reliable.

In BA 3/1 Need currency exchange info

I will arrive on the first of March and was wondering:

1. Did the aforementioned strike occur? If yes, does it affect my ability to get USD converted to pesos?

2. I read previously that Florida St is the place to go to get the best exchange rate. Does anyone have any tips on who, or other places?

Thanks for any help.

Russ.

Daily Max?

Today I pulled 4,000 pesos (2,000 back to back) from a Santander Rio machine. I always assumed the 2,000 was a daily limit but obviously not.

Strike

Today I saw a local news flash that there will be a "paro bancario " or bank strike this Friday. If you're low on cash for the weekend I suggest pulling it before then just in case .

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    Did you get dollars from a Citibank ATM?? If so, what ATM card did you use??

Tres3.
    Works with whatever the atm accepts.

Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Shamester  [View Original Post]
    Citibank atms offers us dollar option.
    Did you get dollars from a Citibank ATM?? If so, what ATM card did you use??

Tres3.

Citi

Citibank atms offers us dollar option.

Thanks for the replies. Pulling USD from my US account did sound too good to be true in Argentina.

Pulling 16,000 in pesos and changing to 1000 USD would take 8 days and around $150 in fees, though mine are supposedly reimbursed now. Not a great option.

I may try Xoom.

Or better yet get the next apartment through AirBNB that just takes my payment online via plastic. It's so much easier than BYT argentina, that requires everything in cash USD, exact change, plus deposit and contract.

Uruguay

Quote Originally Posted by Moore  [View Original Post]
    Has anyone found an ATM that will dispense USD? I just went to a Citibank on Libertador and the machine did have a menu option for USD, but when I tried it it would not dispense. So I ended up taking the max 2000 pesos.

I'm staying here a month longer than planned , need another USD 1,000 for rent, which preferably I could get in a couple pulls.
    The closest ATM that gives dollars is in Uruguay. The fees are high, so if you do not have a Schwab or other ATM card that rebates fees, they will hit you pretty hard. Before Macri, many Argentines went to Colonia to get dollars from the ATM machines, and then change them on the blue market. The lines were long then, but since Macri, I imagine that they have gotten a lot shorter. The ferry to Colonia used to be fairly cheep, so if you must have dollars, that is probably your best bet. Some of the cuevas may give dollars for pesos since the Macri devaluation, but I do not know how much their haircut is.

Tres3.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore  [View Original Post]
    Has anyone found an ATM that will dispense USD? I just went to a Citibank on Libertador and the machine did have a menu option for USD, but when I tried it it would not dispense. So I ended up taking the max 2000 pesos.

I'm staying here a month longer than planned , need another USD 1,000 for rent, which preferably I could get in a couple pulls.
    To my knowledge, there are not currently any ATMs in Argentina that distribute USD. The menu option on the ATMs that offers USD dates from the 1-1 FX rate days and after the 2001 devaluation was still a viable option ONLY for account holders at that particular bank with USD denominated accounts. Currently, bank account holders can electronically buy/sell USD right from their internet "home banking" web interface in any amount without limits and either hold the USD electronically in a USD denominated account or go to the teller to physically withdraw the currency.

Usd atm

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Just photograph the bill before you hand it to them.

TL.
    Great advise!

TJ.

Watching your money

I am a very very frequent traveler. In Medellin I had my first encounter with a pick pocket. I got out of my taxi at a point where most tourists arrive at the tourist area. The taxi was very small so i had to get out of the taxi to get to my money that was in my front right pocket. I paid the taxi and with a great deal of excitement I walked toward the touristy area. Within a few moments I felt a tug on my pocket. Turning to my right and with my elbow sticking out I hit a bad guy picking my pocket right square in the nose. My unintended aim was right on and hitting him on his nose. The bad guy fell to the ground and my money flew everywhere. Local Columbians gathered up my money and handed it back to me.People are the same everywhere. Colombian people are no different than people in any small city in the usa......

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Just photograph the bill before you hand it to them.

TL.
    Another smartphone aid is an app which turns the entire screen white so that you can see anything embedded in the bill. I use one called "WhiteScreen" on my Android phone.

Bob.

Posting Limitations