Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 136 of 137 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 132 133 134 135 136 137 LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

ripped off

Quote Originally Posted by OslersVoice
    I would think you could get ripped off at any time. Why should carrying more money make you more likely to be a target (unless that person is stupid enough to be flashing it around)

I like the tip on getting 590 and a receipt. Thanks!
    Having more money doesn't make you a bigger target. Having more money means you lose more if you get robbed. Personally I think it's a better idea to keep cash not needed in the moment in the neatherworld of electronic banking. A prudent reserve in a hotel safe is not a bad idea but only if you are the only one with access.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    Easy go makes a good point, having a 20 to pay the exit fee is a good idea. Otherwise why bring cash? Use ATM's it's safer. If you have a big stash of Dollars you can get ripped off. One word of advice, use ATM's at a bank when the bank is open. Always get a recipt and check the mney right away. I've pulled out money a few hundred times without a problem but the last one I did I got a fake 100 peso bill, didn't get a reciept and the bank did nothing for me.

Another tip, to help win the change war when your pulling money out select other amount, then if you want 600 get 590 and you will start with 90 pesos in smaller bills.
    I would think you could get ripped off at any time. Why should carrying more money make you more likely to be a target (unless that person is stupid enough to be flashing it around)

I like the tip on getting 590 and a receipt. Thanks!

ATM's

Quote Originally Posted by Skip1
    Should I bring cash dollares in 100's only or are some smaller denominations convenitent for something?
    Easy go makes a good point, having a 20 to pay the exit fee is a good idea. Otherwise why bring cash? Use ATM's it's safer. If you have a big stash of Dollars you can get ripped off. One word of advice, use ATM's at a bank when the bank is open. Always get a recipt and check the money right away. I've pulled out money a few hundred times without a problem but the last one I did I got a fake 100 peso bill, didn't get a reciept and the bank did nothing for me.

Another tip, to help win the change war when your pulling money out select other amount, then if you want 600 get 590 and you will start with 90 pesos in smaller bills.

Should I bring cash dollares in 100's only or are some smaller denominations convenitent for something?
    New style 100's and a 20 for your exit fee.

Best if you check out the current exchange before any transaction

Here's a great source for checking out current exchange:

http://www.eye4u.com.ar/content/ba.php (this one for mongers since there is also nice things to see around)

http://www.dolarhoy.com (this one for serious business people and best rates)

Hunt99 said:

"The best rate I recently found on pesos anywhere in BA was at the Banco Nacional de la Nacion, which is located right by the customs area in the airport. (Not the kiosk, a regular bank branch)"

Is this bank at the airport good for ATM $US as well as cash $US? Enquiring minds want to know.
    I think there is an ATM at the airport, in addition to the regular bank branch. I tend to deal in cash, and haven't withdrawn money from an ATM in a long while. But I do recall that the exchange rates from ATMs were also almost all at excellent rates. The only thing you have to be wary of are "ripoff" rates at small kiosks and exchange cambios (probably on the order of a 5-10% difference with the actual rate)

airport $

Hunt99 said:

"The best rate I recently found on pesos anywhere in BA was at the Banco Nacional de la Nacion, which is located right by the customs area in the airport. (Not the kiosk, a regular bank branch)"

Is this bank at the airport good for ATM $US as well as cash $US? Enquiring minds want to know.

Skippy,

There is no reason to do that. Just bring an ATM card, or bring some US Dollars and change it at the bank (NOT the foreign exchange booth) on your right as you exit customs.

Buying Pesos in the US

I'm new here and will be flying to BA in early December for a month of travel in Argentina. Does anyone in the US have A pesos for sale?

Changing Money

I do all my financial transactions with Forexcambio S.A., located just beside Marriott. Their services are not limited to foreign exchange transactions. They can also encash your checks (foreign and local) with a commission charge of 1%.

Last week, I needed to transfer some US$ from my US based bank account to Buenos Aires. Since I do not have any dollar account in Buenos Aires I almost resorted to using the services of Western Union, I decided otherwise because of their hefty charges. Forexcambio was able to do it for me charging the same 1% commission charge. The whole process only took a day.

Passports

Official cambio's as opposed to black market ones are required to get ID. I think they have to pay some government squeeze, which is why the underground ones usually offer better rates. However some underground ones will try to pass fake bills.

Hunt the fucking IRS is everywhere.

I like the Russian in Galaria del Sol

It's on Paraguay right before you get to Florida. Go into the Galaria and just inside to the right is a little fur store with one of the fattest guys in BsAs sitting behind a little desk. Friendly folks, never any trucho (sp) and great rates. It's an unofficial place so no ID needed. Don't exchange on Friday as the rates always go down a bit for the weekend, tuesday and wednesday are the best.

Paris

Also they do not make you show your passport which I appreciate. Santa Fe between Suipacha and Esmeralda on the south side of the street.

Exchange rate history

http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory gives exchange rate history also. I wish I knew about BsAs when the rate was 3.8 pesos to 1 USD in JUN 2002!!!!

Posting Limitations