Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 100 of 137 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Do you know if hotels etc are legally obligated to accept payment in pesos at the official rate?

For instance, the Hyatt charges 500 USD per night. At the time of check-out, could you insist on paying the bill in cash at 2250 (500 * 4. 50) pesos per night?

Ciao

Hi. Did you give him five 100-dollar bills? Is it a problem if the bills are not crisp / new? I don't know why, but some people like to to write and put stamps on USD bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    I had to change some Yankee dollars today and looked all through Galaria del Sol for my old Russian guy and can report that he is gone. Walked up Florida just asking all, prevailing rate was 6. 10 though one idiot offered 6. One guy was offering 6. 25 but was doing the exchange right there on the street. Ever since I bought a bag or parsly thinking it was weed when I was 17 I no longer do illegal business in a place that requires me to hide what I'm doing and not be able to inspect my product. For all you kids out there I would suggest running not walking from a situation like this unless you know where the guys mom lives.

At Galaria de la Flor on Florida between Viamonte and Tucuman I was offered 6. 15. I walked with the tout to the back and went into a small clothing store. When I handed over my 500 the guy actually appologized for checking my bills (that was a first, he was very polite, must be from Paraguay) and when I started checking his bills he offered me his lamp. All bills were good and the exchange was quick. I would repeat if they stay a few points above the norm.

9/27/12

I had to change some Yankee dollars today and looked all through Galaria del Sol for my old Russian guy and can report that he is gone. Walked up Florida just asking all, prevailing rate was 6. 10 though one idiot offered 6. One guy was offering 6. 25 but was doing the exchange right there on the street. Ever since I bought a bag or parsly thinking it was weed when I was 17 I no longer do illegal business in a place that requires me to hide what I'm doing and not be able to inspect my product. For all you kids out there I would suggest running not walking from a situation like this unless you know where the guys mom lives.

At Galaria de la Flor on Florida between Viamonte and Tucuman I was offered 6. 15. I walked with the tout to the back and went into a small clothing store. When I handed over my 500 the guy actually appologized for checking my bills (that was a first, he was very polite, must be from Paraguay) and when I started checking his bills he offered me his lamp. All bills were good and the exchange was quick. I would repeat if they stay a few points above the norm.

Xoom anyone an affiliate?

If so I'll sign-up with your link, that way we both can earn $25 in cash.

FYI, I had read Dickhead's posts about changing money in Mendoza, and that is what prompted this thread. Because the particular casa de cambio he mentioned: at Galleria Tonsa at 1173 General San Martin, happens to be the ONLY cash pickup location for Xoom transactions in Mendoza, and this is also quite near the Sheraton where I will be staying. I would much rather get close to 5.7 pesos to a dollar (The Xoom rate is 5.97 less transaction fee. Which comes out to 5.7) than something like 5.2, or even worse - the official 4.6 and I did anticipate having to spend pesos for many transactions in Mendoza. The reason I posted my question HERE, is that this thread is very active, and has Xoom-related comments on it, while just about nobody other than myself has made a post in the Mendoza thread since Dickhead's posts that were made at the end of May. In any case, thank you Dickhead for wading in with a sanity check from actual reasonably recent Mendoza experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    I was in Mendoza in May or maybe June and posted the location of a cueva in the appropriate section on Mendoza. But Toymann hasn't been to Mendoza in a while and is full of shit in general so let me just say that if you think you are going to waltz around Mendoza spending dollars, or that merchants will change your dollars at the blue rate, you can think again. Most stores and hotels will only give you Cristina's rate. Cristina hires Chilean tourists to go under cover and try to buy stuff with dollars and then AFIP springs into action. They were very paranoid up there. So concentrate on getting a good rate for pesos, not on using dollars. Mendoza ain't Corrientes.

Read post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    if you think you are going to waltz around Mendoza spending dollars, or that merchants will change your dollars at the blue rate, you can think again.
    My suggestion was to find 1 business that wants to convert your dollars at the near blue rate in volume. Not do it one transaction at a time. Thats makes no sense at all. Hope this clears up any confusion or at least Dickheads confusion. LOL. Happy Mongering All. Toymann

I was in Mendoza in May or maybe June and posted the location of a cueva in the appropriate section on Mendoza. But Toymann hasn't been to Mendoza in a while and is full of shit in general so let me just say that if you think you are going to waltz around Mendoza spending dollars, or that merchants will change your dollars at the blue rate, you can think again. Most stores and hotels will only give you Cristina's rate. Cristina hires Chilean tourists to go under cover and try to buy stuff with dollars and then AFIP springs into action. They were very paranoid up there. So concentrate on getting a good rate for pesos, not on using dollars. Mendoza ain't Corrientes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Airport Taxi in Mendoza

Quote Originally Posted by Member #2041  [View Original Post]
    Very simple: I am flying AA DFW to Santiago, Chile, and then from Santiago, Chile to Mendoza on LAN. No problem.
    There is Global Exchange just outside customs at Mendoza airport.

Their rate is about 3. 7 or 3. 8 pesos to a dollar, so do NOT change your hard earned money there.

There are lots of casas de cambio in downtown on or near Avenida General San Martin.

I haven't used their service for years so I don't know whether they now change at the official rate or "Blue".

Perhaps your hotel reception or concierge might have an idea of where to change your money.

You might need pesos to pay your taxi from the airport to central Mendoza.

The standard fare is a fixed 45 pesos, but may cost a bit more depending on where your hotel is.

Tariff is displayed at the taxi counter which is located at the extreme end of the hall if you are arriving from Santiago.

As you walk out from customs, turn left and go all the way till the end of the hall and you'll find the taxi counger on your right.

Tell the lady at the counter exacly where you're headed for and she will confirm the fare.

They'll probalby accept payment in dollars, but the rate will be close to official.

Probably US$10 for the ride.

No tips required for the driver.

If you're staying at the Park Hyatt or Sheraton, the hotel might offer you their pick up serivice for about a 100 pesos.

That, to my opinion is a waste of money, but can be considered if you wish to have everything charged to your hotel.

If you're staying at Cavas Wine Lodge, then transportation and meals are included in your room charge of US$1, 200 per night so you don't have to worry anything.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Joe 23; 09-23-12 at 12:27. Reason: Correct spelling

If you read lower down in this thread, I've posted in detail my ongoing saga with zoom. Pros and cons (starting with first txn around early aug)

I will be traveling to Argentina the end of next week, and I just signed up for an account with Xoom, and I was wondering if I can send myself Argentine Pesos at the Xoom rate (approx 5. 97 pesos presently) using my USA Credit card, transacting in dollars (If I read Xoom correctly, their transaction fee for this type of transaction would be 4% plus about $4. 50 USA.

I am wondering, does Xoom allow a USA citizen to pick up the funds at an Argentine pickup using a USA I'd such as a passport, and to charge the transaction to their own USA credit card? In particular, this is of interest to me since my point of arrival in Argentina is Mendoza, not Buenos Aires, and Xoom's solitary pick up location in Mendoza is near the Sheraton where I am staying.

Even with the transaction fees, I'd be getting an effective exchange rate of around $5. 70 using Xoom if this works, and I doubt I could easily find that sort of rate anywhere in Mendoza

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann  [View Original Post]
    Cool. Just bring the cash and shop for the best rate you can get. Just got an email today from my blue rate buddy in corrienties. Happy to give me 6. 2:1. Use the blue rate site refrenced on this site as a high end. I think it is.

http://dolarblue.net.

Just go from business to business. The black market exchange places are all over the place. Good Luck. Toymann.

Ps. Good luck with the chicas. Have always heard Mendoza is a wasteland for P4P. Let us know
    I've been to Mendoza before - in 2008, and I found one Privado. 551 Montevideo, that had some passable action. In any case, I'm going to Mendoza for wine touring, and then spending 8 days in Buenos Aires. So I'll be able to relieve any blue ball condition then.

Bring your dollars to mendoza dude, forget the credit card. Cash talks and credit walks. You will have little trouble exchanging dollars at just below the blue rate in medoza dude. The demand is not specific to buenos aires in the slightest. Argentines sense a devaluation and WANT to convert whatever they have away from pesos. Last April when I was in corrienties the stores had signs asking for dollars at better rates than the boys were getting in Buenos Aires (at that time 4. 8:1 in BA. 5.2:1 in Paso la Patria, a small town just east of corrienties). Just go from business to business in Mendoza asking about "cambio". You'll do just fine. The whole Xzoom thing only seems to be of value if you are timid about bringing dollars with you. Monger On Dude. Toymann.

Ps. How are you entering Argentina in Mendoza. Not long ago I was not allowed to deplane in mendoza because they didn't have immigration services when my BA flight was redirected due to the volcano, had to go to Santiago. Would have loved to deplane in mendoza and taken the bus to BA, spent 3 damn days in shitty Santiago! Did something change as my info is relative to June 2011?

Ps. Make sure you bring "clean 100 dollar bills" with you, No rips, tears or teller stamps. Good Luck. Toymann
    Toymann is correct in that the black market rates paid for USD in the interior of Argentina can actually be significantly higher than those paid on any given day in Buenos Aires because there is so little liquidity in the black USD market outside of Buenos Aires. A few associates of mine are running a black USD operation in Cordoba city and they usual operate about ten basis points higher than the rates in a cueva in CABA.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeOilSales For This Post:

My suggestion.

Very simple: I am flying AA DFW to Santiago, Chile, and then from Santiago, Chile to Mendoza on LAN. No problem. I certainly will be bringing dollars with me. The question I have is whether or not to bring as much as I will need for my entire trip (around $2500).

And yes, I already know to bring clean, recent series bills with me. Many of the wineries I am going to have quoted me prices in Pesos, and I was assuming that I would be paying chicas in Pesos.
    Cool. Just bring the cash and shop for the best rate you can get. Just got an email today from my blue rate buddy in corrienties. Happy to give me 6. 2:1. Use the blue rate site refrenced on this site as a high end. I think it is http://dolarblue.net. Just go from business to business. The black market exchange places are all over the place. Good Luck. Toymann

ps. good luck with the chicas. Have always heard Mendoza is a wasteland for P4P. Let us know

Bring your dollars to mendoza dude, forget the credit card. Cash talks and credit walks. You will have little trouble exchanging dollars at just below the blue rate in medoza dude. The demand is not specific to buenos aires in the slightest. Argentines sense a devaluation and WANT to convert whatever they have away from pesos. Last April when I was in corrienties the stores had signs asking for dollars at better rates than the boys were getting in Buenos Aires (at that time 4. 8:1 in BA. 5.2:1 in Paso la Patria, a small town just east of corrienties). Just go from business to business in Mendoza asking about "cambio". You'll do just fine. The whole Xzoom thing only seems to be of value if you are timid about bringing dollars with you. Monger On Dude. Toymann.

Ps. How are you entering Argentina in Mendoza. Not long ago I was not allowed to deplane in mendoza because they didn't have immigration services when my BA flight was redirected due to the volcano, had to go to Santiago. Would have loved to deplane in mendoza and taken the bus to BA, spent 3 damn days in shitty Santiago! Did something change as my info is relative to June 2011?

Ps. Make sure you bring "clean 100 dollar bills" with you, No rips, tears or teller stamps. Good Luck. Toymann
    Very simple: I am flying AA DFW to Santiago, Chile, and then from Santiago, Chile to Mendoza on LAN. No problem. I certainly will be bringing dollars with me. The question I have is whether or not to bring as much as I will need for my entire trip (around $2500).

And yes, I already know to bring clean, recent series bills with me. Many of the wineries I am going to have quoted me prices in Pesos, and I was assuming that I would be paying chicas in Pesos.

They want Dollars everywhere in Argentina dude.

I will be traveling to Argentina the end of next week, and I just signed up for an account with Xoom, and I was wondering if I can send myself Argentine Pesos at the Xoom rate (approx 5. 97 pesos presently) using my USA Credit card, transacting in dollars (If I read Xoom correctly, their transaction fee for this type of transaction would be 4% plus about $4. 50 USA.

I am wondering, does Xoom allow a USA citizen to pick up the funds at an Argentine pickup using a USA I'd such as a passport, and to charge the transaction to their own USA credit card? In particular, this is of interest to me since my point of arrival in Argentina is Mendoza, not Buenos Aires, and Xoom's solitary pick up location in Mendoza is near the Sheraton where I am staying.

Even with the transaction fees, I'd be getting an effective exchange rate of around $5. 70 using Xoom if this works, and I doubt I could easily find that sort of rate anywhere in Mendoza

Using Xoom to send myself AR$ with my USA Credit Card in Argentina?

I will be traveling to Argentina the end of next week, and I just signed up for an account with Xoom, and I was wondering if I can send myself Argentine Pesos at the Xoom rate (approx 5.97 pesos presently) using my USA Credit card, transacting in dollars (If I read Xoom correctly, their transaction fee for this type of transaction would be 4% plus about $4.50 USA.

I am wondering, does Xoom allow a USA citizen to pick up the funds at an Argentine pickup using a USA ID such as a passport, and to charge the transaction to their own USA credit card? In particular, this is of interest to me since my point of arrival in Argentina is Mendoza, not Buenos Aires, and Xoom's solitary pick up location in Mendoza is near the Sheraton where I am staying.

Even with the transaction fees, I'd be getting an effective exchange rate of around $5.70 using Xoom if this works, and I doubt I could easily find that sort of rate anywhere in Mendoza

Posting Limitations