Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 101 of 137 FirstFirst ... 51 91 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    7 pesos?

Damn it. That really was a missed opportunity!
    I don't think they had much more than pocket change. The point though is if you go to a couple expat places and listen for the accent you might run into people that will give you the selling price instead of the buying price because they don't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    It should be closer to 9. 3 to 1.

You did not miss much.

TL
    I'm buying, you muppet.

So I missed a helluva deal.

*shakes head*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DavieW For This Post:

I get 9 pesos per pound here. Delivered to my door on receipt in overseas bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]

You did not miss much.

TL

You Can Do Better.

7 pesos?

You did not miss much.

TL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    When I was at the bar with Casa in it's name that may not be mentioned on this forum I saw two birds selling pounds to an American guy at some complex formula that worked out to 7 pesos per pound. The sold him several hundred pesos worth. My point being go to a couple expat places and offer to take pounds off their hands for them.
    7 pesos?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DavieW For This Post:

Talk about missed opportunity

Anybody got some they want to get rid of?

I'm off to the mother country for the first time in over 3 years and would like to have a few quid in my pocket when I arrive.

I'll pay a good premium over what you'll get at a cueva (if you can even sell them at a cueva?).
    When I was at the bar with Casa in it's name that may not be mentioned on this forum I saw two birds selling pounds to an American guy at some complex formula that worked out to 7 pesos per pound. The sold him several hundred pesos worth. My point being go to a couple expat places and offer to take pounds off their hands for them.

Pounds Sterling

Anybody got some they want to get rid of?

I'm off to the mother country for the first time in over 3 years and would like to have a few quid in my pocket when I arrive.

I'll pay a good premium over what you'll get at a cueva (if you can even sell them at a cueva?).

Holidays

There's always some open at the weekend. I've never wandered down there on public holidays, but I imagine the shops will be open, so the cuevas should be also.
    I don't know about all, but the place I was using the last time I was there was always closed on holidays. (But it wasn't on Florida.)

Bob

There's always some open at the weekend. I've never wandered down there on public holidays, but I imagine the shops will be open, so the cuevas should be also.
    I have changed money on the weekend. You will pay a slight premium due to the lack of competition, but will still be far ahead of using your bank card. I have never changed money on a Sunday, and off the top of my old addled head I don't recall hearing "cambio, cambio, cambio, dolares, reales, cambio, cambio" whilst walking in el centro on Sunday but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Guy  [View Original Post]
    Are the cuevas on Calle Florida open in weekends and on public holidays?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DavieW For This Post:

Are the cuevas on Calle Florida open in weekends and on public holidays?

It sounds like I've been extremely lucky regarding fake bills. I've never checked a single bill and I've changed many thousands of dollars over the last 5 years, and I've never had a fake one.

Or maybe I _have_ been slipped some fakes and I've unknowingly passed them on without even realizing it!
    I got a fake 100 peso bill from an ATM at Banco Frances at Cabildo why LaCroze once. I took it inside and the tool of a manager just kept saying it was impossible. This was way back before there was much of a gap between official and blue rates.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

It sounds like I've been extremely lucky regarding fake bills. I've never checked a single bill and I've changed many thousands of dollars over the last 5 years, and I've never had a fake one.

Or maybe I _have_ been slipped some fakes and I've unknowingly passed them on without even realizing it!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DavieW For This Post:

The first time I went to the Western Union place on Florida I checked every bill and they were all real. The second time I got lazy and just counted them. I ended up with 4 fake 100 peso bills. Fakes are really easy to spot. The silver dashed lines across the bill are not reflective and there is no watermark (the face in the white part). I would take a picture of a fake next to a real one but a pick pocket stole all my fake money. Which brings me to my second point. Wear jeans on Florida. If you wear pants or shorts with a vertical pocket they will just shove their hand in there, grab your money and run while a second guy distracts you. I've already figured out how to line my pocket with razor blades for my next trip.

I think dealing with the cambio's on Florida for your money exchange is pretty safe. They might try and slip you a few fake bills if you are touristy but they won't do very many. If they ripped you off for all your bills they know you would go to the police. It's not like they can pick up and run, they are in an office. Even the guys saying cambio on the street are only taking you to the office with the money guy. You're not exchanging your money right there on the street. If you just take 1 minute to check your bills before you leave it will be obvious if they are fake. When confronted what will they do? Probably give you a fake apology and pretend they thought those bills were real. These cambios are run like a business even if they are "black market". I used a street cambio guy and he lead me into a mall. Your not in some dark back alleyway.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheRaven For This Post:

Their was a nice report we had made about one of the cuevas at Calle Cervino.

I can't see the reports. I think the moderator has removed it.

It is one of the best places to go and change money. No swindling.

I got a rate of 6. 20 about a week ago for 1000 us$

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Member #3320 For This Post:

Posting Limitations