Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 102 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

I've known one

Quote Originally Posted by Amantelondres  [View Original Post]
    Re arbolitos in Florida, I've always wandered if the pesos you get are fake. Any experiences? Personally I wouldn't trust the guys offering 'cambio' further than I can throw them!
    I know one guy that got a few fake hundreds mixed in. He didn't know how to check them and so they (cambio) saw an opportunity. I make a big show of checking every bill at every place I go to so I think that cuts down on the swindling. Check your bills right there where they make change. I also do this at hooks, or I used to when I was still goin there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Amantelondres  [View Original Post]
    Re arbolitos in Florida, I've always wandered if the pesos you get are fake. Any experiences? Personally I wouldn't trust the guys offering 'cambio' further than I can throw them!
    Never had any problems myself. Used a few random ones at first, then the cueva referred to as 'Western Union' regularly for a year until my current, more discreet 'supplier. '

Don't know if it helps to be a fairly good Spanish speaker. Probably does.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DavieW For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    I'm not convinced it's a 'real' Western Union. It just has a Western Union sign outside it!

And there are more cuevas / arbolitos at Florida and Lavalle than you can wave a stick at.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Amantelondres For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFalcon  [View Original Post]
    I've google mapped Western Union near Calle Florida. There is none listed at Florida / Lavalle. Is there a Western Union or other cueva / arbolito at Florida and Lavalle?

Thanks.

Bf
    I'm not convinced it's a 'real' Western Union. It just has a Western Union sign outside it!

And there are more cuevas / arbolitos at Florida and Lavalle than you can wave a stick at.

Western Union at Florida and Lavalle

I've google mapped Western Union near Calle Florida. There is none listed at Florida / Lavalle. Is there a Western Union or other cueva / arbolito at Florida and Lavalle?

Thanks.

Bf

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueFalcon For This Post:

Chicago Guy:

Should be no problem on Calle Florida, just don't advertise you are carrying $.

As for QE3, take a look at a 5yr chart of ARS / USD. Since late 2008, no amount of FED debasement has affected the ARS' desire to weaken against the USD. It seems that a dysfunctional Argentina trumps a dysfunctional FED.

BF.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Guy  [View Original Post]
    In the 'cuevas' on Calle Florida, do you get a better exchange rate for large amounts?

Also, how safe is the area around Calle Florida? Would it be advisable to exchange max 1000 USD per visit?

And finally: Do you think QE3 will have any negative impact on the strength of the USD in Argentina?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueFalcon For This Post:

In the 'cuevas' on Calle Florida, do you get a better exchange rate for large amounts?

Also, how safe is the area around Calle Florida? Would it be advisable to exchange max 1000 USD per visit?

And finally: Do you think QE3 will have any negative impact on the strength of the USD in Argentina?

Xoom update. Send limits on rolling 30day not static re-set

Just helpful update for whomever may end up using Xoom.

1. Standard limit is $2999 within 30 day window, but can upgrade yourself with more verification docs to $6000 per 30 day window (turns out there's actually another third tier level that with more docs gets you to something like $20k / mo and $90k I think over 6 months. There may even be another custom level but this third tier hits after you've been approved for tier2 6k and when you get close to it the website points out with a helpful link tip how to get approved for tier3.

2. For whatever tier you are on, turns out the per 30 day window is a rolling period, not a blanket reset. So if you sent your first transaction on Aug 1, your entire 'limit balance' does not reset to 0 on Aug 31.

-it just removes whatever transactions are older than 30 days from the limit balance you are able to send.

-so if you sent $1 on Aug 1, then $2998 on Aug 30, and are on the tier1 (max $2999 plan). You will only have $1 of your limit reset on Aug 31. You'd have to in fact wait close to another month on Sep 29 to be able to have the Aug 30 txn wiped clean.

3. In short. If you plan to use Xoom consistently, it's best to send at even intervals, say once a week on the dot so you always have a txn from your limit balance being reset every week. Or upgrade to tier2 or 3, but even then the principle is the same.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mpexy For This Post:

Action!

Walking down Lavalle today at 4:44 I see all the Arbolitas, but nobody is saying a word. At 4:45 on the dot it was like the director yelled action and they all started saying,"cambio, cambio, cambio, dolleras, reales, cambio, cambio, cambio." kind of creepy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Xoom tip

If you see a decent rate, or don't care that much, either way I've found there actually is a max cap to the fee they charge for single transfer.

Up to $1000, the xfer fee scales up. Example for bank source xfers, $6.75 for $200 converted to pesos cash pickup, $15.75 for $500, and max capped at $30 for $1000.

Thought it just kept scaling, but after $1000, it just stays flat at $30. Just did a $1500 xfer and paid the same $30 fee. So basically, it added 0.06 to my exchange rate, e.g. offered rate 6.05, but effective rate with fee if I had done $1000 would have been 5.87 to 1. With $1500 it effectively made it 5.93 to 1.

Not as good as a cueva with cash but so far I've found the delta small enough I've been mostly using Xoom while only going couple times to do USD cash exchanges at cueva on Scalabrini Ortiz.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mpexy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    I have heard of fakes from cambios too, but usually they have a shoddy watermark, and the silver strip is pretty good.
    These that I saw had none. The paper felt normal but when held up to the light there was none.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    I know a guy this week that got 4 trucho 100 P notes there. He didn't know to check them but none had the watermark so be carefull when exchanging. Not just there but anywhere. For the most part I am 100% comfortable changing money at cambios but there is an element of buyer beware involved.
    I have heard of fakes from cambios too, but usually they have a shoddy watermark, and the silver strip is pretty good.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Star For This Post:

Western Union

Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter  [View Original Post]
    Iavehad very off and on results with Xoom, I filled out all the forms I have a real job and good income. E but I have Ben cutoff then a few weeks later I could send about 1k$ then I was off again with no reason, fuck that shit.

Next trip it's cash ans cash onLy when I run out party's over. Will have AMEX card just incase jejejejejejee budget for early 2012 is 4k$ for 2 weeks magic pocket is back! I will have no p roblems changing money and if my wingman is with me I have very little to worry about, besides the western eunion office is easy as pie. I have done many runs to cervionos on the bus with 3 months salary aim my pockets and jock.

Plus cash on hand only is my SAFTEY valve I got out of hand last trip.
    I know a guy this week that got 4 trucho 100 P notes there. He didn't know to check them but none had the watermark so be carefull when exchanging. Not just there but anywhere. For the most part I am 100% comfortable changing money at cambios but there is an element of buyer beware involved.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Iavehad very off and on results with Xoom, I filled out all the forms I have a real job and good income. E but I have Ben cutoff then a few weeks later I could send about 1k$ then I was off again with no reason, fuck that shit.

Next trip it's cash ans cash onLy when I run out party's over. Will have AMEX card just incase jejejejejejee budget for early 2012 is 4k$ for 2 weeks magic pocket is back! I will have no p roblems changing money and if my wingman is with me I have very little to worry about, besides the western eunion office is easy as pie. I have done many runs to cervionos on the bus with 3 months salary aim my pockets and jock.

Plus cash on hand only is my SAFTEY valve I got out of hand last trip.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Gato Hunter For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger  [View Original Post]
    Went to the place on Arenales today. Was 6. 20, but they deducted a 3% fee (never had that before). Asked the girl why the new fee and she pretended she didn't know what I was talking about. Ended up being 6. 02. Anyone else having to put up with this B. S. ?
    I was at Arenales yesterday around 2:00 pm and got 6.20. Large bills and small bills have different exchange rates at this place. $100 and $50 bills get the best rate. Anything smaller gets lower rate.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsman For This Post:

Posting Limitations