Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 103 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger  [View Original Post]
    Went to the place on Arenales today. Was 6. 20, but they deducted a 3% fee (never had that before). Asked the girl why the new fee and she pretended she didn't know what I was talking about. Ended up being 6. 02. Anyone else having to put up with this B. S. ?
    I went to the cambio at 3205 Scalabrini Ortiz on Thursday and got 6. 15 pesos to the dollar on a $1000 exchange. No fee, no hassle.

GV

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gringo Verde For This Post:

Went to the place on Arenales today. Was 6. 20, but they deducted a 3% fee (never had that before). Asked the girl why the new fee and she pretended she didn't know what I was talking about. Ended up being 6. 02. Anyone else having to put up with this B. S. ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stinger For This Post:

What you describe would have drove me nuts! But then I'm not known for having a lot of patience! LOL.

Xoom saga. Part 5

Always something new it seems. In light speed recap, so far my xp over last couple weeks has been:

1. Sent before left the states, got confirmation ready for cash pickup less than 5 min. A+ I'm thinking.

2. Quick send but Xoom puts hold, asks for photo ID, bank or utility statement. Half day road block hassle to send in and have hold lifted. Cash pickup was same as before. Just double sign receipt and go.

3. This time More Casa guy hassles me for occupation and other misc info, makes a call, fills out form.

4. Lady cashier has me fill out personal info form again, also adds request for my business website. Plus phone call, more red tape time block.

Brings me to today. Sent xfer last night that put me over the $2999 per 30 day standard limit. Was at $2950 and sent myself $1k to test process of going over.

Xoom website automatically has me fill in additional occupation and driver license info. Got usual email confirmation of in process. Took bit longer than usual but from sending late night yesterday, got confirmed ready for pickup this morning. Xoom site now shows me new limit of $6k per 30 days and current remaining portion (and I assume capped at $19, 950 per 180 days from their FAQ but will test that when come to it)

Of course, More Casa can't make it that easy. This time the lady cashier asks me what my buenos aires cell number is. I tell her but she gets all red tape about how my recipient info says my local bs. As apt info but for cell number lists my US phone number. She seemed to want to insist that my recipient phone number must be my bs. As cell (which they collected as personal info on prior transactions). All prior transactions I'd sent. And profile for recipient I have setup in Xoom. Lists myself as recipient with my local bs. As apt address plus my contact number which is my US cell number and with intl roaming, works just fine down here.

I kept telling cashier my local recipient number is accurate because that's the phone I have as permanent number and works fine here in bs. As. Showed her my iPhone to reinforce the point and made a call showing my iPhone number. She still just couldn't handle that 'discrepancy' and made a few more calls.

25min later somebody at More office waived this obstruction long as I promised for my next transaction I correct this. So said yes and she moved on to next step. Thought last time recording my business website was just formality but turns out this time they really looked at it. The More office she called looked up my business website, had all sorts of confused reactions and had to spend 15 min defending my own business.

Finally after lot of frustration and explaining my source of income, their back office signed off and cashier lady went to counting cash and double receipt mode. Which contradicted what she herself had told me was need to fill out the personal info form each time. Oh well, wasn't going to complain.

Overall, I like having Xoom as additional dollars to peso source along with USD I brought. But hassles so far seem to be one non-stop new roadblock after another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy  [View Original Post]
    So did my 4th and final pre-going-over-standard-limit transfer today. Sent myself $950 to make my 30-day period total $2950. Just under the $2999 limit before further Xoom side verification stuff supposedly occurs (will report on that when I try that later in week)

For this one, I thought would be smooth sailing given my prior reports (already sent in extra verification docs to Xoom, including passport photo, DL photo, and bank statement confirming US address. Plus the More Casa requested form filled out with my name, occupation etc last time I picked up cash)

However, this time the cashier lady had me fill out form again. Last time guy filled out for me but looks like same form. But this time she asked for additional info the guy who filled out for me last time didn't.

Form wanted my name and address in states, and same for here in Argentina. Marital staus, some other misc junk. But on top of occupation title the cashier had me also fill in company name and web page. No idea what would have happened if I said my company didn't have a web URL but she was very insistent and had me fill it out twice on both top and bottom end of form.

Basically with that plus phone call she made, added about 25 min. The last 5 min was the usual double recipt sign and count out of money. I asked her if I had to do this each time because already filled out form last time and she said yes each time. So not giving up on Xoom given other ways to get dollars in are even more hassle but I'm just preparing myself for a 30-60min session each time now given line of people ahead of me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mpexy For This Post:

I got here yesterday and went to Florida street. I talked to a couple "cambio" guys on the street. The first told me 6. 15 the second told me 6. 20. I went to the Western Union Gato Hunter mentioned and waited in line. They were pretty busy. When it was my turn I asked what the rate was and the guy said 6. 15. I said no thanks and started to leave and he asked me how much. I said on the street it was 6. 20 and he said ok 6. 20. I checked all the bills for the invisible face in the white part that is visible when you hold it up to the light. I figure that would be the hardest part to fake. They were all good so I left pretty happy about the whole thing. Thanks to everyone for all the good information.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRaven For This Post:

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeOilSales  [View Original Post]
    This is actually slightly inaccurate. The "arbolitos" have a much larger buy / sell spread than the "cuevas" in Capital Federal have, meaning that they might buy dollars at 6. 0 and sell them at 6. 57, whereas a "cueva" would typically have a buy / sell spread of 6. 2/6. 4.
    Yes, they have higher spreads because they deal in smaller amounts, from locations with less competition, and with individuals who have fewer options.

However, I'm not sure what part of my prior comments were "slightly inaccurate".

Thanks,

Jackson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

6. 15-1 at the Cervino cueva this afternoon. Now better than Xoom after including their fees.
    Last edited by SunSeeker; 08-31-12 at 15:50. Reason: wouldn't take the "dash" 1st time

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SunSeeker For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    "Arbolitos", which as you've noted means "little tree" in Spanish, refers to independent individuals, generally operating on the street corners, who offer currency exchange services.

"Arbolitos" are generally more prevalent in the poorer suburbs of the city, are generally willing to sell smaller amounts of dollars, and generally sell dollars at a slightly higher price than the city cambios.

If you're a typical American 1%'er selling dollars and buying pesos, the higher rate is in your favor.

Of course, if you're a poor person living in the villas selling your increasingly worthless pesos to buy dollars, the higher price for the dollar is not good for you.

Thanks,

Jackson
    This is actually slightly inaccurate. The "arbolitos" have a much larger buy / sell spread than the "cuevas" in Capital Federal have, meaning that they might buy dollars at 6. 0 and sell them at 6. 57, whereas a "cueva" would typically have a buy / sell spread of 6. 2/6. 4.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Then there are the North Korean "Super Dollars" which even the US Treasury has trouble distinguishing between real dollars.

TL
    obvious false rumor. Look up "D500 Super Dollar Authenticator"

There are small private companies that make this and many other consumer level / retail outlet scanners that can detect regular and NK super dollar counterfeits (much less what the Treasury uses). These commonplace scanners cost a retail outlet less than $200 to purchase

There Are a Lot of Fakes!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven  [View Original Post]
    Thanks for all the good info guys. I've been packing / traveling all day. Just one more 10. 5 hour flight to go. I'll be there in the morning. One quick question. When looking over my bills for counterfeits what am I looking for? I have handled Argentina pesos before but I don't know how good the fakes are or if there is an easy way to spot them.
    The good ones are really good and the bad ones are really bad.

Xeroxed!

I have seen people rub the bills against a piece of paper to see if the ink rubs off I think.

That and you hold it up to the light to see the watermarks and thread, etc.

I have a nice collection of fakes from my Resto-Bar days.

There are a lot of fake dollars too.

The greatest forger in Argentina's history has been caught like 4 or 5 times!

They call him Picasso.

Then there are the North Korean "Super Dollars" which even the US Treasury has trouble distinguishing between real dollars.

TL

Thanks for all the good info guys. I've been packing / traveling all day. Just one more 10. 5 hour flight to go. I'll be there in the morning. One quick question. When looking over my bills for counterfeits what am I looking for? I have handled Argentina pesos before but I don't know how good the fakes are or if there is an easy way to spot them.
    Buy a couple at the airport cambio and use them to compare.

Can someone explain this to me? I don't really understand this chart or how to use it. At the time of my post it is saying "Green (Arbolitos)" is exchanging 1 USD for 6. 57 ARS pesos. I think that is what it says. Is Green a bank or exchange place I can go to? Does anyone know where it is? Is this "Green" not for Gringos and I should just go to Cueva or someones contact listed below? If I am staying in Recoletta and my Spanish is not very good, what address can I hand to a cab driver on a piece of paper to go get a good exchange rate. I guess that is what I really want to know.
    Also, that rate of 6. 57 is the selling rate (what it would cost you to BUY USD from that source). If you want to change your USD into pesos you need to look under 'COMPRA' (the blue rate being 5. 77 according to that site, which is well off the mark!). You'll get 6. 20 today, even off a random guy shouting 'CAMBIO' on Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    "Arbolitos", which as you've noted means "little tree" in Spanish, refers to independent individuals, generally operating on the street corners, who offer currency exchange services.

"Arbolitos" are generally more prevalent in the poorer suburbs of the city, are generally willing to sell smaller amounts of dollars, and generally sell dollars at a slightly higher price than the city cambios.

If you're a typical American 1%'er selling dollars and buying pesos, the higher rate is in your favor.

Of course, if you're a poor person living in the villas selling your increasingly worthless pesos to buy dollars, the higher price for the dollar is not good for you.

Thanks,

Jackson
    Got it, interesting, some somebody is sending people to the villas to find out and post cambio rates. Don't know if I'd want to take a couple K's US into 31 to get a little higher rate myself.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    Green=this is a new one on me, it refers to "arbolitos" which means little tree in Spanish and it's how they refer to touts because like trees they never move and are always at the same spot. I don't know why this would have a slightly higher rate than blue because I have never seen an arbolito make change, they get a commission from everybody they walk into the black cambio.

Thanks,

Jackson

Posting Limitations