Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 107 of 137 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy  [View Original Post]
    -asked the cashier how many pesos for dollar today and he said 6, so said ok I have $X dollars to exchange.
    You should do this the other way around: "What rate can you give me if I exchange X dollars?" Often, although not always, the more you are exchanging the better the rate will be. I know this to be true in the case of this particular cueva.

Sure beats waiting in line at Paris Cambio and having to show your passport every fucking time.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Address

The address is Scalabrini Ortiz 3205.

Things are easier for everyone if you use the street address.

In Nicaragua they use landmarks instead of physical street names, possibly in part because of illiteracy.

¨its 90 meters from the cinema 6 ¨

Unfortunately the cine 6 got flattened in the earthquake of 1979, but everyone in downtown Managua knows where it was.

Cueva. Scalabrini Ortiz location update

Thanks goes out to Doggboy and all the other members who pointed me to and posted location help re this place.

Went today and got 6:1 which is better than current Xoom. Even with longer taxi ride out to this vs Xoom location. I'll use both going forward.

Location help:

1. Only thing I'd add is describe the location bit more exactly. Original location description was spot on and no complaints but figure for the next new guy would make it bit easier:

-this cueva is on the street of Scalabrini Ortiz, right near the corner of Cervino (about a 23 peso cab ride from Recoletta tourist area)

-Scalabrini Ortiz is the larger street, Cervino is narrow side street.

-depending which way your cab drove, get out at this corner and look for the Freddo ice cream store. Don't really need the store to orient if you can find the small Scalabrini Ortiz sign on one of the corners but when I was first dropped off I didn't know which street was Scalabrini, which was Cervino.

-if you are looking at the Freddo from across the street, which is Scalabrini Ortiz, cross the narrow side street Cervino and pass the Freddo ice cream store on your right.

-first glass door on your right, literally 5-6 feet past the Freddo place, is the frosted white with green stripe door letting you enter this cueva.

-green awning as posted by other member, but didn't see a dollar / euro sign anywhere. Plastered all over one section of the glass window though was pictures of a ton of world currency bills.

- I buzzed to be let in and 6-7 sec later the door buzzed open.

Observations:

-not a dank, dark cave at all. Basically like a shop store but with just a few plastic chairs and water cooler as you enter. There's no mysterious long corridors and back room feel, you enter, you see the cashier window soon as you walk in, and chairs to sit are on your right.

-came around noon, an elderly lady was already at the cashier window and while I waited another person got buzzed in. Walking a beat right outside across the street was a police officer in orange vest.

-asked the cashier how many pesos for dollar today and he said 6, so said ok I have $X dollars to exchange. Took just a couple min to count out and exchange.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mpexy For This Post:

Xoom. Cash pickup update

To recap. Before I left the states, sent myself a $300 test transfer, signed up zoom account and sent first transaction on thur evening. Rate at that time was about 6. 1 pesos to dollar. To my pleasant surprise, transfer complete and transaction confirmation email sent to me (as sender and receiver) in just 2-3 minutes.

Arrived sat evening so today was first chance to pickup at More location on Libertador.

Couple observations, one contradicting what someone posted here about sending to yourself:

1. I did NOT have to provide two different email addresses to send cash to myself. My account setup as well as receiving party email was same and had no problems.

2. When entering the More location, take a number. I saw 5-6 pp, sitting down and wondered what that was about. Guy entered and took a number before I realized had to queue up.

3. Took longer sitting around waiting for my turn than the actual pickup. I could hear couple of the people being asked bank name and other questions. Seems like took 5-10 min per person and only had 2 cashiers working.

4. I handed my passport and slip of paper with my name, Xoom transaction number and amount I transferred in dollars. Clerk handed me form with two identical receipt to sign and enter passport number, then did some busy work for 2-3 min and started counting cash. Handed me another form to sign, then returned my passport, receipt and handed over the pesos.

Pretty efficient and painless. The waiting to get your turn is pretty much the biggest hassle.

I'll update again once I've gone over the initial $3k per 30 day limit to see how hassle free or not that is

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mpexy For This Post:

Exchanging Currency

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I completed a test transfer of USD $200 using the XOOM service. I was sufficiently satisfied that I transferred another USD $500. Here is the 411 on my transfer-by the numbers.

I got 5. 6238 pesos to 1 USD. After you apply the xoom service charge, that works out to about 5. 46 pesos to 1 USD.

1. The web address is.

www.xoom.com.

2. You must have a USA bank account or credit / debit card. (I used a debit card for the test transfer and a bank account for the second transfer) If you do not have a USA bank account or credit card, you need a TRUSTED friend with one.

3. You can pick up the cash at any MORE Money Transfers or Banco Frances location. The MORE locations are akin to Western Union, and I prefer them. You are in and out very quickly. I am told that some Banco Frances locations require an account. You can also have the money transferred to a bank account.

4. The xoom service charge is variable. It goes up with the amount transferred, so there is only the convenience advantage of transferring a large amount.

5. I had no trouble with the authorities. I do not know whether they make random investigations or if their investigations are based on the size of the transfer.

6. Some credit cards have their own fees which can be quite onerous. For example, I carry one card that has no annual fee, but has a currency conversion fee, a cash advance fee, a "foreign" transaction fee, and starts charging interest as soon as a cash transfer is made. I used a debit / ATM card issued by my bank, that is also a Mastercard. For the second transfer I went directly to my bank account because the xoom service charge is lower for a bank account transfer vice a credit / debit card.

7. You have to have TWO different email addresses in order to send money to yourself. Xoom asks for two email addresses (one for the sender and a different one for the receiver) , and they cannot be the same. I use AOL, so this was not a problem. I am pretty sure that hotmail, yahoo, and gmail all accommodate multiple email addresses.

8. You must have an Argentina address and telephone number. I used the apartment I am renting, and it worked just fine. I am sure that you can use a hotel with no problem.

9. I gave the person behind the CAJA window at MORE a slip of paper with the transaction number, the amount of pesos I was expecting and my USA passport. He counted the money and I was out of there. I used the MORE on Libertad in Retiro.

10. The xoom online form has a space for a coupon code, but they also say that they do not accept coupons. I could not find a code that worked and paid the service charge.

Tres3
    The above step by step instructions for Argentine Pesos via XOOM was posted in June. Enjoy!

Tres3

Did a xoom transfer for the first time ever.

Works superbly.

Good a good exchange of 5. 90 all inclusive (xoom charges etc).

I think its the best bet for expats from US. Even better than cuevas etc.

Especially if you arrive with 10k $. This is a good way to top up every now and then.

Once every few months, get another 10k$ from abroad.

Worst case I can use an ATM. But are there not regular currency exchange places open on Saturdays?
    The cueva at the intersection of Cervino and Scalabrini Ortiz is open on Saturdays. I don't remember the hours, but noon, or a bit earlier, ought to put you close to the middle of when they're open.

Check Dickhead's post earlier in this thread for directions.

Suerte!

Worst case I can use an ATM. But are there not regular currency exchange places open on Saturdays?
    Honestly hoss it's been so long since I went to one I couldn't say for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    Man I couldn't even begin to tell you where to get pesos on Saturday. PM gato hunter, I think his place is open Saturdays. Have you ever been to the Colmegna Spa? Best place EVER to get in shape after that long flight. Don't pay the extra for VIP if you go, the only advantage to that is an expensive hand job from a middle aged woman in a short neglige. Though the locker room is quite nice.

Thanks DR.

Too bad not open on sat, arriving in morning this sat and my Xoom transfer is already available for pickup.
    Man I couldn't even begin to tell you where to get pesos on Saturday. PM gato hunter, I think his place is open Saturdays. Have you ever been to the Colmegna Spa? Best place EVER to get in shape after that long flight. Don't pay the extra for VIP if you go, the only advantage to that is an expensive hand job from a middle aged woman in a short neglige. Though the locker room is quite nice.

They are open 9-6 Monday through Friday.
    Thanks DR.

Too bad not open on sat, arriving in morning this sat and my Xoom transfer is already available for pickup.

Xoom update. 15 min to send and receive ready for pickup!

After creating new account on Xoom, sent myself a transfer from my US bank to be picked up at cash location in Argentina. Sent before leaving from states. Did this because thought may take longer for first transfer so might as well send before I leave and make use of travel time.

But good news so far is placed order last night and barely 15 min later got confirmed process email with transaction code to allow cash pickup

Hope transfers initiated from Argentina go just as fast.

Maybe back to 7. 00. Thank You Cristina

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    Got 6 today at the Cervino / Scalabrini cueva.
    I'd have given you 6. 10 yesterday!

Hours

They are open 9-6 Monday through Friday.

No but I'm only 2 blocks away, I'll check and post their hours.

Posting Limitations